The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Usagi Yojimbo/TMNT: The Complete Collection Announced!

Spoiler:

The complete Usagi Yojimbo / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle story collection!

Comics master Stan Sakai has been curating crossover stories between his creation, Usagi Yojimbo, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for decades, and now every one of those stories is collected in one place! This beautiful tome is the perfect addition for any Usagi Yojimbo or TMNT fan!

While Usagi Yojimbo embarks on the warrior's pilgrimage throughout Edo-era Japan, using his samurai skills to help those in need, four teenage brothers in a half shell from the sewers of New York City protect their home from crime utilizing their ninja capabilities. Both fighting for good and prevailing over evil, it's only fitting that they meet up and join forces.

Paperback: 132 pages
Publisher: Dark Horse Books (October 9, 2018 )
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1506709508
ISBN-13: 978-1506709505

https://www.amazon.com/Usagi-Yojimbo...=ninja+turtles
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Nice!

Glad I haven't bothered to pick up a trade of the TMNT/Usagi IDW story yet... this will be a much better addition to the shelf.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Does this include the Peter Laird drawn Usagi crossover, or just Stan Sakai's?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It doesn't say, but I'm willing to bet it does.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I didn't doubt it would. Now that you brought it up I'm questioning wheter or not I should buy that edition coming out this week.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I didn't doubt it would. Now that you brought it up I'm questioning wheter or not I should buy that edition coming out this week.
I'd wait. I actually held off on getting the previous editions because I didn't want to double dip if something better came along later. I'm not a huge Usagi fan, so I could wait.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
Powder
So tired of this place

If this really is ALL of them, then count me in.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
Allio
Foot Elite

so aside from the Turtle Soup/Rabbit stew in the Namazu hard cover collection what else has been collected recently?

Or was that it?
Old 04-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
so aside from the Turtle Soup/Rabbit stew in the Namazu hard cover collection what else has been collected recently?

Or was that it?
From what I can tell, there are four major editions of this thing.

1) Original floppy one-shot, just containing Namazu (from IDW)

2) Hardcover version of one-shot, containing Namazu and Turtle Soup & Rabbit Stew (IDW)

3) Special Edition hardcover of one-shot, containing Namazu, Turtle Soup & Rabbit Stew, and The Treaty (IDW)

4) TMNT/Usagi trade paperback that this thread is about containing Namazu, Turtle Soup, The Crossing, the Treaty, and Shades of Green 1-3 (Dark Horse)

Jeez. I liked the story and all, but these releases, all in rapid succession, all containing just a liiiiiiiittle bit more than the last release, really milked the hell out of things. I kinda like that Dark Horse cut IDW off at the pass and just released an edition with EVERY TMNT/Usagi crossover in it.

Otherwise, we probably could've looked forward to IDW putting out the Super Special Edition, featuring Namazu, Turtle Soup, The Treaty, and the Crossing, followed a month later by the Super Duper Special Edition, featuring Namazu, Turtle Soup, The Treaty, The Crossing and Shades of Green Part 1, followed two months later by the Hyper Super Duper Special Edition, featuring...

You can see where I'm going with this.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post

2) Hardcover version of one-shot, containing Namazu and Turtle Soup & Rabbit Stew (IDW)

3) Special Edition hardcover of one-shot, containing Namazu, Turtle Soup & Rabbit Stew, and The Treaty (IDW)

4) TMNT/Usagi trade paperback that this thread is about containing Namazu, Turtle Soup, The Crossing, the Treaty, and Shades of Green 1-3 (Dark Horse)

Jeez. I liked the story and all, but these releases, all in rapid succession, all containing just a liiiiiiiittle bit more than the last release, really milked the hell out of things. I kinda like that Dark Horse cut IDW off at the pass and just released an edition with EVERY TMNT/Usagi crossover in it.

Otherwise, we probably could've looked forward to IDW putting out the Super Special Edition, featuring Namazu, Turtle Soup, The Treaty, and the Crossing, followed a month later by the Super Duper Special Edition, featuring Namazu, Turtle Soup, The Treaty, The Crossing and Shades of Green Part 1, followed two months later by the Hyper Super Duper Special Edition, featuring...

I was cool waiting a few weeks for #2, and paying about the same price for it as the original floppy release's retail price. I already own all the older stuff, so I guess I'll just wait for the next Usagi/TMNT crossover.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

At least Peter Laird's Usagi crossover is finally being collected, to my knowledge its never been reprinted anywhere before now. It's almost worth it for that alone.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #12
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

http://www.usagiyojimbo.com/forum3/v...p=59549#p59549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Sakai
When DH negotiated the TMNT/UY: Namazu crossover, they also included the right to publish a complete crossover book. I think the rights had a deadline, though, and that is why it is coming out so soon on the heels of the Namazu expanded edition.

Namazu will be printed in color but the other stories will be b/w. There may be some color pin-ups, but I'm not sure. The only story that readers may not be familiar with is The Crossing by Peter Laird, which, to my knowledge, has not been reprinted since it was published in Fantagraphics' UY #10.

Hare Today, Hare Tomorrow will not be in this collection because, though it was published by Mirage, it is a Usagi Yojimbo/Space Usagi story.

The Compleat (yes, I wanted it spelled this way) TMNT/Usagi Crossover book is scheduled for the fall.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
Allio
Foot Elite

15 isn’t too bad a price. Will probably pick this up and give my other copy to a friend
Old 04-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #14
usagigoya
Mouser

Quote:

You forgot one.....

0. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Samurai Special (nn) July 2017 (IDW)
featuring "Turtle Soup & Rabbit Stew" and "The Treaty"

Distributed only at the San Diego Comic Art Gallery show and included in the SDCC 2017 Exclusive Usagi Yojimbo figure package.
usagigoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #15
pferreira
Foot Elite

Thanks for the heads up. Added to my Amazon wishlist.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:17 AM   #16
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

So by purchasing the complete collection, I can pick up every story that Usagi and the turtles have ever been in together correct? Including the most recent crossover and dating back to the very first? (As in EVERYTHING?).
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #17
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Believe so
Old 04-14-2018, 09:41 AM   #18
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

Soooo....is there a hardcover of this?
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #19
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Oof. Agreed. I've already triple-dipped on this. Held out for the first hardcover but then found David Petersen's variant of the floppy... then I couldn't resist getting Stan's special cover (with sketch and bookplate!) of the "Special" edition that just came out. Now this news drops right after that. I already own all the shorts in their original publications.... what am I doing!?
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:08 AM   #20
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Might be a silly question, but is in it full colour?

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote