The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Does fast food deserve its bad reputation?
Yes 6 75.00%
No 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #21
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you believe they deserve it?
Maybe "earned" would have been a better choice of wording.

Yes, corporations that sling fast food have earned their reputation.
#NotAllFastFoods.
It's my understanding that In and Out burger pay living wages to their employees, and offer them benefits. But they are the exception, and not the rule.

I have come to this opinion by the first hand accounts of friends who've worked in the industry, and from the book Fast Food Nation.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #22
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I'm glad we pay our servers here in Norway
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #23
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Maybe "earned" would have been a better choice of wording.

Yes, corporations that sling fast food have earned their reputation.
#NotAllFastFoods.
It's my understanding that In and Out burger pay living wages to their employees, and offer them benefits. But they are the exception, and not the rule.

I have come to this opinion by the first hand accounts of friends who've worked in the industry, and from the book Fast Food Nation.
So you believe they deserve a bad reputation because they pay their employees low wages?

I find that interesting, since most people I know believe that fast food jobs are not worthy of living wage/higher pay, but don't deserve a bad reputation as a business as long as the working environment itself is safe. Anyways, thanks for your input.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #24
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
So you believe they deserve a bad reputation because they pay their employees low wages?

I find that interesting, since most people I know believe that fast food jobs are not worthy of living wage/higher pay, but don't deserve a bad reputation as a business as long as the working environment itself is safe. Anyways, thanks for your input.
McDonald's, in particular, has a history of Union Busting.
Highly recommend Fast Food Nation.(goodreads)
You'd think the grossest thing about Fast Food would be in the production of said food, slaughter houses and the like, but it's really in the business practices of the corporations themselves.

Or at least, that's what I found the most distasteful.
YMMV
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #25
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Does it deserve it? Yeah, pretty much. Some of the major chains don't exactly seem to use the best quality meat in the first place... Then throw in all the extra salt, sugars, etc., (plus the soda and other stuff), uh, yeah, pretty deserved. Buuuut it's a personal choice to eat it or not. Although there's no way there aren't going to be drawbacks if eaten too often.

It's rare I eat it though as I just don't care to spend the money on it. Most of the major chains are okay, but I can't stand McDonald's... Onions on the burgers and grossed me out years ago with chunks of bone in the nuggets. No thanks on the "meat" products.

Honestly, other than pizza, the closest thing to fast food I've had a number of times this year is the chicken sliders and fries from Royal Farms near home, gotten after some closing shifts at work. If that counts, I assume. At least it's better meat than the nuggets.

The food has really improved in the last few years, believe it or not. With all the hype over more healthy foods (thanks Michelle), and places like Panera doing so well with better choices, the big chains are starting to improve their own food menus, with healthier ingredients, and more "gourmet" choices included. Some of it is pretty high-end, like the Smokehouse burgers, grilled chicken, and specialty drinks. (They have macchiatos now, and they also use real blended fruit in the smoothies.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
McDonald's, in particular, has a history of Union Busting.
Highly recommend Fast Food Nation.(goodreads)
You'd think the grossest thing about Fast Food would be in the production of said food, slaughter houses and the like, but it's really in the business practices of the corporations themselves.

Or at least, that's what I found the most distasteful.
YMMV

Yeah, the treatment of employees is probably the worst part about fast food. Low wages and usually few benefits, if any. Depends on the franchise, mostly. Some owners will offer more than others. Ours used to be owned by a guy who actually offered decent benefits to all full time employees, but when he retired and sold it for health reasons, the new owners nixed all that and only offer benefits to management. No more vacay time, and even calling in requires a doctor's release even for family illness or emergency. Stupid policy. Some franchise owners simply do not care about the employees, but there are others who actually do, so it's kind of a case of what company you are working for, and sometimes even which store location. (Our local TB was pretty good, and gave us off on holidays, and plenty of leeway on sick days, ect.)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #26
mrmaczaps
Banned

I worked McDs as my first job for about a year at 16/17.

The grill is only supposed to hold like 9 quarter pound burgers and 12 lil burgers but I used to load that sucker up during busy hours. One of the managers on Friday's was a stoner and he used to throw in 2 dozen pies right before closing time and then him and a few of the other employees would sit in the restaurant and get high & eat them while I cleaned up. Wash all the utensils and clean the grills after making burgers and nuggets and fries to take home. He would always say "i got you for whatever you want to eat mike..." And I'd ask, you sure? So one night I tested him. Called some friends and decided we were all having burgers and fries... something like 20 burgers, four full bags of fries and all the nuggets i could fit in the fryers plus 2 dozen pies.... haha I got tired quickly of smelling like the fryer and onions. But my household never went without sweet and sour sauce in that time. Almost learn the cash, but the guy that was showing me how to work the til was also stealing from it so he got shitcanned... food was cheaper back then... 20 years ago... lol.

Also got almost all the happy meal toys then too... the good old days when all i had for bills was gas for the car, insurance and a $20 a month cell phone....

Edit: pizza isn't fast food unless its from one of the chains, even pizza hut... still only 15-20 minutes wait time for dine in, delivery always takes longer because the driver always seems high when he drops it off
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most people eat fast food at least once a week, sometimes more, it's just unavoidable unless you're one of those people who really take care of their diet.

Especially those of us who have to eat lunch at work, besides bringing food from home, where else can you eat? I have to choose from either pizza, chinese food, Mcdonalds, subway, etc. where I live for lunch, I don't have much choice.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #28
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most people eat fast food at least once a week, sometimes more, it's just unavoidable unless you're one of those people who really take care of their diet.

Especially those of us who have to eat lunch at work, besides bringing food from home, where else can you eat? I have to choose from either pizza, chinese food, Mcdonalds, subway, etc. where I live for lunch, I don't have much choice.
When i was working 2 jobs, some days its all I had for food... breakfast was probably the least "chain fast food" but still... usually a slice of breakfast pizza or 2 or a sausage breakfast sandwich... only had a 30 minute lunch and subway was always packed so bk or mcdonalds... then there was just bk or mcdonalds on the route I used to get to job 2.... monotonous...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, as I said you don't always want to eat fast food for lunch, but sometimes you just have no choice. I can't really bring food from home and I'm just too hungry in the middle of the day, I just have to go out for a bite to eat at all the local fast food joints.

What's a man to do?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote