The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: When was the last time you were sick?
Within the last month 1 9.09%
2-3 months ago 1 9.09%
4-6 months ago 2 18.18%
Last year+ 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2020, 04:14 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

When was the last time you were sick?

Not talking about COVID here (though I guess that counts)... but when was the last time any of you were sick? I mean, even the common cold?

I can't even remember. It would have been last year for me. Not to pat "stay home, stay safe" on the back... but I think it's an interesting study on how sickly everyone is walking around on the day to day, touching diseased doorknobs and all, lol, since we've (most of us, largely) been hanging around the house watching Netflix or whatnot since about March.

Like, when I was working? I'd get sick easily once every couple of months. Maybe there'd be a good stretch and it would be 3 or 4. But that's it.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-16-2020 at 04:50 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:46 AM   #2
Icebot
Foot Elite

I remember having a little cold in early December last year. It wasn’t too bad.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:19 AM   #3
newfan
Mad Scientist

I've had like a mild type cold thing recently which lasted a couple of weeks but so far as being unwell like needing to lie down and take cold meds or whatever, might be a few years ago, which is a good thing as some years back my body decided it was going to start having an allergic response to viruses (which are more than a light cold)

Last edited by newfan; 09-16-2020 at 05:49 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:22 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Also, a little worried... like, is it healthy to NOT get sick for an extended period of time? Is the 'ole immune system getting lax? To when I do get the flu or the common cold... not good?
Old 09-16-2020, 05:39 AM   #5
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Also, a little worried... like, is it healthy to NOT get sick for an extended period of time? Is the 'ole immune system getting lax? To when I do get the flu or the common cold... not good?
Edit: Are you referring to lack of exposure due to social distancing? The schools here returned two weeks ago and viruses are about already. I just figured we'd catch colds as usual once the winter comes and restrictions eased, just be more people with them at once maybe.

Last edited by newfan; 09-16-2020 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:14 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Edit: Are you referring to lack of exposure due to social distancing? The schools here returned two weeks ago and viruses are about already. I just figured we'd catch colds as usual once the winter comes and restrictions eased, just be more people with them at once maybe.
Yeah? Can't relate. My daughter resumed distance learning last week. Which if the sessions on her laptop last season are the same as the tail end of last time (I'll know this week) equate to "no learning." Dead serious. It's appalling.

At least the class size was higher this season. For more nonsense. Last time it was like 4 kids on a Zoom talking about murder hornets and Trump. In math class.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:20 AM   #7
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yeah? Can't relate. My daughter resumed distance learning last week. Which if the sessions on her laptop last season are the same as the tail end of last time (I'll know this week) equate to "no learning." Dead serious. It's appalling.

At least the class size was higher this season. For more nonsense. Last time it was like 4 kids on a Zoom talking about murder hornets and Trump. In math class.
It's all kids back in the classroom here, mandatory. If kids get one of the 3 Covid symptoms then the family isolate while those with symptoms get a test, just, as expected with return there is an outbreak of general sore throats, coughs etc.

Last edited by newfan; 09-16-2020 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:23 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well... that's a separate topic for sure with strong opinions.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:29 AM   #9
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Well... that's a separate topic for sure with strong opinions.
Wasn't trying to steer sorry, just talking about mixing again and the spread of germs etc. If you are referring to just having a long time without being unwell despite going about your regular business then I'd go with just being happy that you don't get sick that often.

Last edited by newfan; 09-16-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #10
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I caught a bad stomach bug last June and was vomiting a lot. Couldn’t keep down fluids and food. Recovered a few days later thankfully. Had another bug sometime later but it was mild and I was fine the next day.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:29 AM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Some point longer than a year ago but probably less than two. It's honestly been so long that I can't remember. Which is weird, because those who've known me a long time may remember that I used to get really horrific respiratory infections every 3-6 weeks, but for some reason that's slowed down a lot in the last 5-8 years, thankfully.

I honestly think that the last time I got "really" sick it was actually food poisoning, if I recall. Which was pretty awful. But I don't go out to eat very much so thankfully it's only happened to me three times in my life that I'm aware of: Once from KFC about 15 years ago, once from Subway during one of the "dirty lettuce" outbreaks a couple years ago, and once from some oysters at a Chinese buffet a couple Christmases ago.

I still have a chronic sinus drip problem, though, so as a matter of daily life I cough and spit a lot, but I feel fine, it just makes other people think I'm sick when I'm not.

But yeah, knock on wood I've been doing alright for a very long time by my usual standards.

Quote:

Yeah, that's another setback that people are tiptoeing around. Kids are losing time they're never gonna get back and American kids are already statistically dumber and lazier than average so that's not something they can afford. "Distance learning" doesn't work because there's no way to reinforce any discipline; it's "Permanent Vacation" as far as they're concerned and it doesn't look like it'll be changing anytime soon (ever? Will it ever be "safe" to go back?). So kids in this country who were already falling behind fall further behind. I really don't wanna see what the state of things is gonna be in 15 years, let alone 40 when we're gonna be relying on these same kids to take care of us when we're in the nursing home.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 09-16-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

I usually get sick once a year in the fall. Usually lasts about 2-3 days, just sore throat most of the time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

The thing I hate is that since I have the sinus drip thing, it's often very hard to tell if I am sick, getting sick, or just clearing sh*t out.

Like for example, I swallow a lot of fluid in my sleep, so every day when I wake up it takes about an hour to cough it all out, and after that I'm alright. But some days I wake up more "packed" than others, and it's like "Uh oh... do I have a cold?" Because there's been hundreds of times where I went to bed feeling fine and woke up completely infected about four hours later. So almost every day there's a brief period of paranoia right when I first wake up.

I might've had a little bug in mid-March, right before the shutdowns took full effect, but if so it was so mild that I honestly couldn't tell. I was coughing a lot and felt a little lethargic and sometimes feverish, but that's typical for me during that time of year with the up-and-down temperatures and everything. All the stuff on the news didn't help, obviously; every time anyone coughed they wondered if they were gonna die. But neither my wife nor her parents got sick so I most likely wasn't sick, and was just adjusting to the changing temperatures and so forth.

But yeah, sometimes it's hard to tell and that can be a drag. Part of why I hate Fall and Winter. When you wake up with a sore throat as a matter of course it can be tricky to tell if it's normal or if you're actually coming down with something.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

January 2019. Usually just get one cold in winter, maybe two max esp if a certain child brought it us (grr), and extremely rare outside of winter, but never got a single one this past winter so been on a pretty good stretch. Kind of hoping the whole mask thing will help keep that trend going.

Though this topic better not jinx me.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

Though this topic better not jinx me.
I know, I'm always worried about that, too... it'd be just my luck.

It's very strange, I generally used to get VERY sick every few weeks, but after I hit 30 it all slowed down quite a lot. Now I go entire years sometimes without getting anything. If I hadn't had those bouts of food poisoning I would've had like a three-year stretch of pretty much perfect health.

Very strange, but I ain't complaining. People ask me if I had any radical lifestyle changes, but all I really did was stop drinking anything with excess sugar in it. Once I started only drinking water, milk, coffee and moderate amounts of beer, and eliminated all soda and iced tea and things like that, I never really got sick again. And when I did it passed quickly, like in 2-3 days, whereas before it would linger for weeks.

I'm no doctor, I always just find the timing very interesting, because it was pretty much 1:1. Gave up sugar water, stopped getting sick. Is there a connection? Who knows, but it's something I took note of.

Could be just plain lucky, but again, this is me we're talking about. If it were raining pussies I'd likely catch a dick in the mouth, so I never chalk anything good that happens to me up to "luck".

Old 09-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If it were raining pussies I'd likely catch a dick in the mouth, so I never chalk anything good that happens to me up to "luck".
Old 09-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Well it's true! Somehow I always show up at the orgy right after all the chicks go home. For an Irishman, I have possibly the worst luck imaginable. It's absolutely uncanny.

I have suspicions that one of my ancestors may have killed a Leprechaun. Otherwise, I got nothin'.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #18
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Well it's true! Somehow I always show up at the orgy right after all the chicks go home. For an Irishman, I have possibly the worst luck imaginable. It's absolutely uncanny.

I have suspicions that one of my ancestors may have killed a Leprechaun. Otherwise, I got nothin'.
At least you get invited!
Old 09-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #19
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:

All the stuff on the news didn't help, obviously; every time anyone coughed they wondered if they were gonna die.
Same here. I actually thought for a bit that I had caught Covid-19, but the symptoms were similar and it’s hard to see things clearly when you’re under the weather. Thankfully it wasn’t as bad as the bug I caught in April 2014. Took me about a week to get over that one.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #20
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I do dread that this winter. Worrying about myself and family members any time they come down with something. Have already done that enough these past months and worn out from constantly worrying about that, on top of sometimes being annoyed at some family members on various occasions that we are lucky they didn't bring anything home. Will be glad when this damn thing is just gone.

Quote:
Like for example, I swallow a lot of fluid in my sleep, so every day when I wake up it takes about an hour to cough it all out, and after that I'm alright.
Ah, fun times. Similar issue, but in my case that gunked up crud paired with the act of brushing the teeth and/or the toothpaste itself likes to trigger a fun gag reflex and often prove difficult to clear out. Didn't used to be this way. Have wondered if age just does it, or might there be a mild, lingering sinus issue/infection, or what. I know dry indoor air, both AC and winter heating, only makes it worse though.

edit: Probably the worst virus I've ever had was some two week thing going around one year, back in either my late teens or early 20s. I was sick, mom heard about that bug from a friend, and damned if that wasn't what it was...with Christmas smack in the center of it. (*knock on wood* I don't want or need the coronavirus trying to change that.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-17-2020 at 11:06 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote