The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 10-14-2017, 02:37 AM   #21
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Regardless of your personal opinion, objectively we live in the most peaceful time in the history of the human civilization.
Seriously. We all forget, because we've only ever known a peaceful Europe post-WWII and it's probably been years for most of us since history class, but that region really, really liked shooting each other. The hundreds of years prior to the EU are marked by consistent patterns of war.

On top of that, we've come a long, long way as a species, socially. Let's not forget there were times in human history when groupings of human beings thought raping and pillaging was totally rad. The last twenty or thirty years in particular have seen a lot of rapid advances in regards to a lot of things, too.

That said, I totally understand how easy it is to lose perspective, sometimes. It's happened to me too on occasion over the past year.

Quote:
Mostly it sounded like he just put out a bunch of keywords/phrases for the people to clap at. Relatively pointless speech.
That's been him at any gathering since he was sworn in, basically. He does these things, I think, because it's a comfort and seems to be the only part of the job, election to now, he actually likes. Trump's a showman, after all.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:23 AM   #22
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post

That's been him at any gathering since he was sworn in, basically. He does these things, I think, because it's a comfort and seems to be the only part of the job, election to now, he actually likes. Trump's a showman, after all.
And Trump knows that when you talk to them the right way, those voters on the religious right give it up so sweet...

He doesn't even have to grab anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:16 PM   #23
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Regardless of your personal opinion, objectively we live in the most peaceful time in the history of the human civilization.
This seems like an interesting subject to learn more about. How are peaceful times measured? Links?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #24
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
This seems like an interesting subject to learn more about. How are peaceful times measured? Links?
Learn history + Use head = profit.

Most of the history of humanity was one war after another of big nations and empires against each other. We haven't those since WWII. And, arguably there were no big political changes, since crumble of USSR. Most of the modern changes in political landscape are consequences of it.

Local conflicts, of course, continue to exist, but their impact and size are not up to big wars of the past.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #25
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Learn history + Use head = profit.

Most of the history of humanity was one war after another of big nations and empires against each other. We haven't those since WWII. And, arguably there were no big political changes, since crumble of USSR. Most of the modern changes in political landscape are consequences of it.

Local conflicts, of course, continue to exist, but their impact and size are not up to big wars of the past.
So basically...No world wars=most peaceful time in the history of the human civilization? I'm not challenging your definition just trying to understand it clearly.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Eh depending on the iteration they realize that mutants, demons, aliens, time lords or any other sentient organism aren't any much better
Fair enough, I suppose. If it's a sentient species, then it's probably in some way or another a bunch of jerks. lol

But how much would those Turtles facepalm at humanity... lol

Give if a few more years and half the country (or by then, more) will be purple as it is from doing it so much over Trump.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:11 PM   #27
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
So basically...No world wars=most peaceful time in the history of the human civilization? I'm not challenging your definition just trying to understand it clearly.
Well, basically yes.
Add to that advancements in civil rights.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote