The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-26-2019, 09:59 PM   #10161
Leo656
The Franchise

I really gotta get into Metroid.

I'm all the way up to "Sons of Liberty" in my Metal Gear Solid run. Technically my least favorite but it's still great.

It amazes me how much the series has changed since 1987 but it always feels like Metal Gear.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #10162
Icebot
Foot Elite

Just played Sonic Mania.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:01 AM   #10163
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
Just played Sonic Mania.
Hope you enjoyed it. It's the best of the classic style Sonic games, imo. Even tops Sonic 2.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:18 PM   #10164
Turo602
The King of Kings

Just finished playing both scenarios in the Resident Evil 2 REmake and all I gotta say is, holy sh*t. They actually did it. Capcom finally did it! Capcom actually remembers how to make a Resident Evil game and I honestly couldn't be anymore happy.

Sure, it being a remake may have been a giant contributing factor in shaping the game, but Capcom could have honestly gone in any direction with this and I'm glad it turned out the way it did because this is a shining example of what Resident Evil could be and should be moving forward.

I was initially upset with them going the modernization route and making it over the shoulder because of the stigma that carries with this franchise, but then I saw the game, and you know what, Resident Evil just hasn't looked this much like Resident Evil in so long that it being a remake kind of became an afterthought. While I can gripe about certain things all day if I keep comparing it to the original, the precedent this game sets for future games is just undeniable. More of this please.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:53 AM   #10165
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I finished Metroid: Other M a couple of days ago. It got better as I advanced since my energy gauge got bigger and I wasn't getting taken out so quickly even by the toughest enemies. The second to final boss in the game was a pain though, since in the first phase of it, I was getting totally bombarded with attacks, and I barely got a chance to get any hits in. In the final phase of the battle, I had to take the boss out with a weapon I didn't even know that I could use yet. So I ended up losing. I went right for my player's guide to see just what the hell went wrong. So once I started over again, I finally defeated that boss. I was annoyed at having to start over since the first phase of the battle was aggravating as all get out, but I was surprised when they started me off at the final phase of the battle.

Miraculously, I actually defeated the final boss twice without ever losing all of my energy, although I came close on the first try.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:18 AM   #10166
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Playing Resident evil 2 remake at max settings 1440p. it runs 35-50 fps ON MY M ONSTER PC RYZEN 7 1700 16 GB DDR4 3200MHZCL15 GS KILL RIP JAWS GTX 970 G1 GAMING DELLP2416D 24'' 2560X1440 60 HZ IPS Playing it on easy so i can have enough ammo to kill evryone because iam THE SHREDDER. Good game so far. i like it more than resident evil 1.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #10167
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
Playing Resident evil 2 remake at max settings 1440p. it runs 35-50 fps ON MY M ONSTER PC RYZEN 7 1700 16 GB DDR4 3200MHZCL15 GS KILL RIP JAWS GTX 970 G1 GAMING DELLP2416D 24'' 2560X1440 60 HZ IPS Playing it on easy so i can have enough ammo to kill evryone because iam THE SHREDDER. Good game so far. i like it more than resident evil 1.
Isn't the Shredder himself cut out for Hardcore? smh

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #10168
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
Isn't the Shredder himself cut out for Hardcore? smh
He's clearly not Shredder. Shredder wouldn't use a gun to kill zombies, let alone play on easy. Besides, I heard Shredder only games on Nintendo platforms. What is this PC nonsense?
Old 02-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #10169
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
He's clearly not Shredder. Shredder wouldn't use a gun to kill zombies, let alone play on easy.
Christ, you're f*cking vicious, dude.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #10170
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I really gotta get into Metroid.

I'm all the way up to "Sons of Liberty" in my Metal Gear Solid run. Technically my least favorite but it's still great.

It amazes me how much the series has changed since 1987 but it always feels like Metal Gear.
I play that game every three to four years and love it more every time! I used to always think Snake Eater was my favorite, but it becomes harder to tell whenever I play Sons of Liberty.

Especially as it builds up to the climax of the game and everything just becomes totally warped and batshit crazy, yet insightful.

Some of the sections are a chore to get through though. The swimming comes to mind as a giant roadblock within a section of the game I very much enjoy otherwise.

Lately, I've been playing the Resident Evil 2 Remake. Fantastic game. Possibly my favorite survival/horror game next to Dead Space 2 and Resident Evil 4. Lets just call those my "trifecta".

Ahem, Dead Space 1 is pretty damn great too.

I'm now looking forward to Kingdom Hearts 3, but since I'm such a casual fan, I think I'll be able to hold out until they patch it to hell. I'm seeing a lot of difficulty complaints, along with evidence that they will be patching this game to improve it quite a bit, over the next few months. Judging by my Final Fantasy XV experience, I can definitely see that as a possibility.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:25 AM   #10171
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

started far cry new dawn on Friday. It is good game as good as previous games on the series but iam dissapointed that there is not monsters since it takes place on post apocalyptic world and you still fight onky humans. Runs better than far cry 5 despite having as good graphics as that. Max settings 1440p 35 fps minimum 43 average 52 max while 5 runs 40 average. That without overclocking the graphics card or upgrading since release of far cry 5. 3 more fps for newer game it is something very rare ! My monster pc is RYZEN 7 1700 16 GB DDR4 3200MHZC15 GS KILL RIP JAWS GTX 970 G1 GAMING DELLP2416D 24'' 2560X1440 60 HZ IPS. Also 5 days ago i finished resident evil 2 remake with Leon. Killed evryone of course BECAUSE I AM THE SHREDDER. Started it with Claire but stopped for now to play far cry. Crackdown 3 and metro are next some time in the furures since i play all action games and most fighters!
Old 02-17-2019, 03:08 AM   #10172
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm surprised a rig with such low-res capacity could run that stuff.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #10173
Icebot
Foot Elite

Playing Super Smash ultimate, spirits on hard mode.

Also played Super Mario 64, beat the cloud level and the final bowser boss.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:21 PM   #10174
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Funny, MGS2 is my favorite game in the series. I'm a sucker for mindf*ckery and intricate plots though. Plus, it introduced Raiden, The Patriots, and Solidus- two of the best characters in the entire series. The bosses are a bit ass though. Dead Cell could've used another character (Chinaman), but I get that they're supposed to be offputting and weird to further the game's atmosphere.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:09 AM   #10175
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, it's pretty good. I hadn't played it in several years but it's a great game. Only falls behind on points. But the larger story doesn't work without it. This most recent playthrough was probably my favorite since the first time.

I'm about halfway through "Guns of the Patriots" now. I love this series. Playing the entire thing in storyline order puts an amazing amount of depth into everything. It's great.

Gameplay-wise I think Phantom Pain is the best, but each one is "the best" at something. Even the 8-bit ones hold up extremely well, although the Boss fights are extremely easy.

This has been a fun experiment.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #10176
snake
Disgusting

Please, you don’t play MGS4, you watch MGS4.

It’s such a depressing game, but I’m glad it exists as a way to cap everything off. I’m still a little disappointed in the Patriots themselves, but I understand why Kojima made the choices he did in regards to their inclusion in the story. A part of me wishes the game relied less on Liquid being the villain and more on the Patriots, but in order to do that, you’d probably have to re-write the Patriots around, because in their current “state” they can’t do much besides sit there and randomly generate war.

It’s the Star Wars prequel problem, but with a sequel. Ignoring the end-credit scene from MGS2, the Patriots were hyped up to be an actual secret organization running things from the shadows. That’s kind of what they still are, but not in the way I expected and hoped for them to be. My perception and ridiculous expectations of the Patriots, and I guess 4 as a whole, made me feel a small disappointment in the actual thing. “It didn’t happen the way I thought it would happen, so it’s automatically bad” is the kneejerk response I had, but once I got over that, the game is really, really beautiful.

“The world would be a better place without Snakes.”
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:43 PM   #10177
AquaParade
Banned

I've played all the mainline Metal Gear Solid games at least twice. Love them to pieces. Don't understand the grand narrative at all. That's not to say I don't enjoy bits and pieces of the narrative when I'm in the moment - I mean Metal Gear Solid 2's story is insanely awesome, but I can't repeat it back to you coherently.

Can anyone recommend Metro Exodus?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #10178
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Please, you don’t play MGS4, you watch MGS4.

It’s such a depressing game, but I’m glad it exists as a way to cap everything off. I’m still a little disappointed in the Patriots themselves, but I understand why Kojima made the choices he did in regards to their inclusion in the story. A part of me wishes the game relied less on Liquid being the villain and more on the Patriots, but in order to do that, you’d probably have to re-write the Patriots around, because in their current “state” they can’t do much besides sit there and randomly generate war.

It’s the Star Wars prequel problem, but with a sequel. Ignoring the end-credit scene from MGS2, the Patriots were hyped up to be an actual secret organization running things from the shadows. That’s kind of what they still are, but not in the way I expected and hoped for them to be. My perception and ridiculous expectations of the Patriots, and I guess 4 as a whole, made me feel a small disappointment in the actual thing. “It didn’t happen the way I thought it would happen, so it’s automatically bad” is the kneejerk response I had, but once I got over that, the game is really, really beautiful.

“The world would be a better place without Snakes.”
To Bold: I knowwwww. I still love it, though.

I mean, to be fair, The Patriots were that, in-story, decades ago, but yeah, I get what you mean.

I once had a therapist tell me, "All disappointment is rooted in 'expectations'. People expect things, and are disappointed when they turn out differently. If people expect nothing, and take things as they are instead of what they'd rather have, there'd be less disappointment." Always stuck with me and I try really hard to apply that in all things. It's tough, but he's right; you're generally more accepting of things if you work that angle.

I mean, "The Patriots" essentially being Skynet wasn't what I thought was coming, either. But the whole Grand Reveal about how the Philosophers and their Legacy became the foundation of the physical Patriots group started by Zero, which then begat the Proxy AI's that took over when he became an invalid, all fits together pretty well in longform. It's not how I might have written the story, and it was most likely originally planned to be something else entirely, but I very much enjoy what the story ultimately became.

It's one of my all-time favorite game storylines. I've already been brought to tears over multiple in-game moments, just because of how impactful they are in-context versus how they were originally presented. And I still have to finish this one, the most heart-wrenching of all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I've played all the mainline Metal Gear Solid games at least twice. Love them to pieces. Don't understand the grand narrative at all. That's not to say I don't enjoy bits and pieces of the narrative when I'm in the moment - I mean Metal Gear Solid 2's story is insanely awesome, but I can't repeat it back to you coherently.

Can anyone recommend Metro Exodus?
Did you play "Peace Walker"? That one's secretly very important.

I used to think the longform series narrative was confusing, but going through it all in order, it's definitely complicated but not what I would still call "confusing". It's simply extremely dense and a lot of things that originally seemed inconsequential are super important. "Peace Walker" and "Phantom Pain" help clear up tons of things I was confused about even after playing MGS4 a few years ago. But altogether, it's pretty straightforward. There's just TONS of story happening over a 50-year span and "everything matters", so it's a bit of a web.

I could easily spin the whole yarn for anyone who asks - and I have - but you probably don't care THAT much. But I'm definitely glad I took this journey. MGS is like a 1,000-piece jigsaw puzzle. It's a complicated disaster at first glance and some of the pieces don't seem to fit at all, but knowing what the full picture looks like is half of understanding it. In the end, it's a beautiful picture indeed.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:56 PM   #10179
Turo602
The King of Kings

Never owned a PS2 growing up, so I finally decided to pick one up this year and been collecting for it since the start of January. This is what I've managed to amass so far.

I came across a Haunting Ground, but it was either that or half of what I have now. Even though I probably made the right choice, it still hurts leaving that one behind.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #10180
raph27
Mad Scientist

Just picked up Star Fox 64 3D thanks to the Nintendo Selects rerelease. It's my first intro to the series since I ended up not picking up Zero after the reviews, but I'm really liking this one so far. It has that classic Nintendo charm to it, something I can't really put into words but shines through in a lot of that era of their games.

Also, all this MGS talk is really making me want to get into that series. It's always been on my radar but I've never started. Maybe someday.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awesome, cybercubed the diaper, cybercubed the homophobe, peanut, video games