The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #1
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Foot Clan Hierarchy

The Foot Clan in the IDW series is probably my favourite depiction of this ninja group in the whole of the TMNT series (like many other things if I may add).

I was wondering how we could categorize the different hierarchies within the clan (during Oroku Saki's reign). This is my take from what we have seen so far:

The Deshi (beginner level ninja)

Fresh recruits enrolled in the Academy and are trained primarily by a ninja sensei. Not deemed battle-ready, they are officially non-ranked, and only a select few make it to the next level, which brings us to...

The Genin (low level ninja)

The common Foot soldier. Dependable for stealth, patrolling and reconnaissance missions, they vary in size and gender.
The more seasoned Genins act as team leaders for small sized platoons. Their weapons of choice vary but the most common one in use is the ninjato.

The Assassins (mid level ninja)

These ninja are purely dedicated to the art of assassination. They are skilled trackers with incredible speed and resilience. And unlike the rest of the ninja ranks, their weapon of choice is limited to one, in the form of long razor-sharp claws.

The Elite (high level ninja)

These tengu-masked shinobi are much fewer in number and usually play the role of platoon leaders of the Genin during high class missions. They are assumed to be of the highest calibre in the ranks of the Foot and also act as The Shredder's personal bodyguards (usually those wearing the conical hat).

The Mutants (powerhouses)

They would rank somewhere around the elite level of warriors in the Foot clan and thus can be given platoon leadership roles. Koya (hawk) is a master tracker who literally preys on her foes no matter what size they are and Bludgeon (shark) is a brawler type who wields an axe. They both represent air and sea tactical advantage whilst Bebop (boar) and Rocksteady (rhino) represent a massive threat on land as they rely on their amazing physical attributes.

The Mystic (councilor, assistant)

Kitsune is a shape shifting witch and The Shredder's trusted adviser. Her level of knowledge and mastery in ninjutsu are unknown.

The Chunin (deputy leader)

This deadly elite kunoichi known as Karai likes to wield the bow and arrow. She is The Shredder's Second in command. Her beauty may be the only thing on par with her tremendous skill. *love-in mode activated*

The Jonin (leader, head of the clan)

Oroku Saki, AKA The Shredder. 'Nuff said.

What do you all think about this categorization of the Foot clan? Do you agree or disagree with some things I said? Please add your opinions.

Disclaimer: Don't be confused with my ranking system which is based on the Naruto system; I know that in the IDW version, a "chunin" (cue Dark Leo) is apparently considered to be the right hand man of the top boss.

In order to avoid confusion with the ranking terms, in particular regarding the status of the chunin, I have renamed the positions of the Foot shinobi. I took inspiration from the following source: http://konigunninjutsu.com/rankhistory.html

Last edited by Icegaze; 03-01-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Icegaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #2
Tazi
Mad Scientist

But chunnin means 2nd in command...
Old 07-07-2014, 05:56 AM   #3
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Hello Tazi. Please refer to my disclaimer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icegaze View Post
Disclaimer: Don't be confused with my ranking system which is based on the Naruto system; I know that in the IDW version, a "chunin" (cue Dark Leo) is apparently considered to be the right hand man of the top boss, the Shredder.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
Enscripture
Hench Mutant

Uh you can't really call the lowest ranking cannon fodder "chunin" if it's been established that it's the 2nd in command and highest ranking honor in this series.

Last edited by Venom; 01-06-2015 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Don't make it personal.
Enscripture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enscripture View Post
Uh you can't really call the lowest ranking cannon fodder "chunin" if it's been established that it's the 2nd in command and highest ranking honor in this series.
Chūnin (中忍; Literally meaning "Middle Ninja") - middle thus intermediate class warrior.
Jōnin (上忍; Literally meaning "High Ninja") - high thus elite/superior class warrior.
These are coined terms popularized by Kishimoto (Naruto) to categorize different ninja ranks. I chose to follow this system.

Edit:
For those who prefer the use of different rank names than the ones I based of of Naruto's ranking system, the terms in brackets are supposed to be synonyms that characterize the class of ninja.

Last edited by Venom; 01-06-2015 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Keeping it classy.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
corvus
Stone Warrior

It makes sense. Its nice that someone organized this into a thread.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Thanks corvus. Would you like to point something out that I may have missed or misinterpreted? Some of the things I wrote are mainly my own extrapolation of what may or may not be (i.e. special chunin, jonin).
Old 07-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
Tazi
Mad Scientist

Sorry, I missed the disclaimer. I have a strong hatred for Naruto, and no intention for being offensive, so I won't comment on that, just saying that it's might not be the best source in this case.

Here's wot I think about the classes:

Genin: These guys:

The one with lenses being the lower rank, and the one with hoodie being the upper rank.
Foot Assasins also considers as genin.

Alopex, Koya & Karai are on the top level of genins. Karai was a Jonin at a time (before Shredder), then a Chunin, then her rank was taken away from and given to Dark Leo instead. At the end of CityFall she is a chunin again.
Koya is an interesting case. She lead the Foot Assasins, so she was definitely a 'middle-man', hm... dunno.
Alopex had the chance to became a Chunin but she turned against Shredder instead.

The Jonin is Shredder.

This guy:

He delivered an invitation. I thought his clothes were some kind of formal wear, and doesn't represent any rank. He is a genin.

Hun, Purple Dragons, Rocksteady, Bebop, the italian maffia, and other street thugs are not Foot Clan, they're not ninjas, but they work closely with the Foot.

What I wonder is if we gonna get Foot Elites in IDW at some point. The assasins are kinda taking the same role as ninjas with more advanced skills, but not quiet the same still, since Foot/Shredder Elite members were also his assistant, and his generals, aka. chunin. I guess we don't have Foot Elite cuz storyline-wise Karai, Alopex and Koya took their role, just as Kitsune took the role of the Foot Mystics.
What do you guys think about that? Will we ever see Elites or Mystics in IDW?
Old 07-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Thanks for your contribution, Tazi!
Here are my remarks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazi View Post
Sorry, I missed the disclaimer. I have a strong hatred for Naruto, and no intention for being offensive, so I won't comment on that, just saying that it's might not be the best source in this case.
Apology accepted, no worries.

Quote:
Here's wot I think about the classes:

Genin: These guys:
[url]http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz123/Icegaze88/chunin.jpg[/IMGhttp://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...8/spchunin.jpg
The one with lenses being the lower rank, and the one with hoodie being the upper rank.
Foot Assasins also considers as genin.
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z.../assassins.jpg
Alopex, Koya & Karai are on the top level of genins. Karai was a Jonin at a time (before Shredder), then a Chunin, then her rank was taken away from and given to Dark Leo instead. At the end of CityFall she is a chunin again.
Koya is an interesting case. She lead the Foot Assasins, so she was definitely a 'middle-man', hm... dunno.
Alopex had the chance to became a Chunin but she turned against Shredder instead.

The Jonin is Shredder.

This guy:
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...ze88/jonin.jpg
He delivered an invitation. I thought his clothes were some kind of formal wear, and doesn't represent any rank. He is a genin.
I really like your suggestions here, especially regarding the lower ranked Foot soldiers. I will incorporate some of your suggestions in the OP. For instance, I agree that the common Foot ninja should be considered a genin, and the Academy students should not be given a ninja rank.

But I beg to differ regarding the red cloaked shinobi. They cannot be given the same rank as the common ninja. They clearly represent a different class even if color code and different masks are the only things to go by at this stage.
Furthermore, the Shredder cannot be a lone jonin. In a ninja system, there should be more than 1 or 2 jonins in case the current Head gets killed and thus replaced. I believe the Foot have very capable shinobi that are almost as skilled as Karai and who would be worthy successors (to an extent of course, because following the Shredder will always be a tough act).

Quote:
Hun, Purple Dragons, Rocksteady, Bebop, the italian maffia, and other street thugs are not Foot Clan, they're not ninjas, but they work closely with the Foot.
I reckon Rocksteady and Bebop are part of the Foot Clan (as even indicated in their micro-series) given that Karai directly recruited them from the Academy owned by the Shredder.

Quote:
What I wonder is if we gonna get Foot Elites in IDW at some point. The assasins are kinda taking the same role as ninjas with more advanced skills, but not quiet the same still, since Foot/Shredder Elite members were also his assistant, and his generals, aka. chunin. I guess we don't have Foot Elite cuz storyline-wise Karai, Alopex and Koya took their role, just as Kitsune took the role of the Foot Mystics.
What do you guys think about that? Will we ever see Elites or Mystics in IDW?
I am willing to bet that the red cloaked ninja will act as the "Foot Elite" in this series. Kitsune is definitely a Mystic. Wonder if she has any martial arts skills... That would be interesting!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
corvus
Stone Warrior

I know what you're saying about the titles and I won't complain. I'll point out that foot of the third rank speak and those below do not, if I remember right.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus View Post
I know what you're saying about the titles and I won't complain. I'll point out that foot of the third rank speak and those below do not, if I remember right.
Those of the Genin rank speak as well. See pic below:

Old 07-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
Enscripture
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Chūnin (中忍; Literally meaning "Middle Ninja") - middle thus intermediate class warrior.
中忍 translates as "Ninja Commander" but yeah, if you want to go literally, it is 'middle ninja' which is NOT what they are using in this series.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #13
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Quote:
中忍 translates as "Ninja Commander" but yeah, if you want to go literally, it is 'middle ninja' which is NOT what they are using in this series.
Can you propose an alternative for the ranking terms?

Edit:
In order to avoid confusion with the ranking terms, in particular regarding the status of the chunin, I have renamed the positions of the Foot shinobi in the OP. Please feel free to comment.

Last edited by Icegaze; 07-08-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:08 AM   #14
Enscripture
Hench Mutant

I don't think there's enough info to "rank" them. Like the Foot Soldiers seem to be the all black red eyes. Then the Foot Ninjas are the ones with hoodies. Then there's the assassins that are obvious and I don't think the mutants have an actual rank except maybe they do, because of Alopex. Then the Chunin and Jonin stuff and even with that, Hamato and Oroku's rank weren't said in ancient Japan.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:15 AM   #15
Powder
So tired of this place

I agree with Enscripture.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #16
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I don't think there's enough info to "rank" them. Like the Foot Soldiers seem to be the all black red eyes. Then the Foot Ninjas are the ones with hoodies. Then there's the assassins that are obvious and I don't think the mutants have an actual rank except maybe they do, because of Alopex. Then the Chunin and Jonin stuff and even with that, Hamato and Oroku's rank weren't said in ancient Japan.
In the Secret History of the Foot Clan micro series, Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki were promoted to chunin level. They were the only 2. So I assume that the level they had previously was what I am calling "Elite Kagebushi" in this thread.

Quote:
I agree with Enscripture.
Of course this is mainly my opinion as the writers of the story are yet to confirm official ranks (hope they do in the near future). But the point of this thread is to speculate and I reckon that in 35 main issues and several micro-series that some info has been given to us on the Foot clan to enable at least have an idea of their internal ranking system.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #17
Rat_King
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Of course this is mainly my opinion as the writers of the story are yet to confirm official ranks (hope they do in the near future). But the point of this thread is to speculate and I reckon that in 35 main issues and several micro-series that some info has been given to us on the Foot clan to enable at least have an idea of their internal ranking system.
If anything, I hope someone from IDW sees this thread and knows that we're interested in knowing the ranks.

It would even be neat to see a story done on a person rising through the ranks of the foot. Show that they've fought against the turtles in each step of their training to becoming a feared enemy. While generally it should take years to go from bottom to top, the constant defeats could fuel his ambition to be better and hone his technique allowing him to rise quickly.
Rat_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #18
corvus
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Those of the Genin rank speak as well. See pic below:

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...les022-009.jpg
That he does. But sseriously. Karai needs to stop looking so much like my ex-girlfriend. I'm gonna take this up with Santolouco.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #19
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_King View Post
If anything, I hope someone from IDW sees this thread and knows that we're interested in knowing the ranks.

It would even be neat to see a story done on a person rising through the ranks of the foot. Show that they've fought against the turtles in each step of their training to becoming a feared enemy. While generally it should take years to go from bottom to top, the constant defeats could fuel his ambition to be better and hone his technique allowing him to rise quickly.
Agreed. Hopefully Mr. Waltz has spotted this thread and is already whipping up a lil surprise for his fans. *wink wink @ you Tom*

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus View Post
That he does. But sseriously. Karai needs to stop looking so much like my ex-girlfriend. I'm gonna take this up with Santolouco.
Your ex-gf must have been quite the looker then. Pity you couldn't keep her. I have a love-in with Karai (Santolouco styled mostly, but even in a few other styles such as Smith's in the Karai micro-series).
Old 08-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #20
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Just got proof from Bobby Curnow that the Shredder does have a Foot Elite and they look like the one I posted in the OP of this thread. See image below (extract taken from the latest comic release):

Tags
foot clan, foot clan hierarchy, foot soldier, shredder