The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #21
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Heh, and to think I dreaded turning 16.

In my opinion, you don’t start getting old until you’re at least 80. Even then, it all depends, I know an 83 year old that’s younger then someone who’s 25. Age is a very subjective thing.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #22
Dirty Blond
Stone Warrior

It's pretty much guaranteed that you can become a form of a slayer in the period of your life between 30-55 if you don't get married.

Obviously it sucks having missed out on prime aged girls, but you just gotta make the best out of your situation.
Dirty Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Blond View Post
It's pretty much guaranteed that you can become a form of a slayer in the period of your life between 30-55 if you don't get married.

Obviously it sucks having missed out on prime aged girls, but you just gotta make the best out of your situation.

Uh, run that by me again?
Old 06-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #24
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So like a lot of people here, I'm one of those guys approaching the dreaded 3-0 in a few years. It makes me sad because once I hit 30 I'll officially feel like I'm not a young adult anymore, and thus a "real" adult.

Like a lot of people, I spent most of my 20's still feeling like a teenager. While I have my own job and graduated College, I still felt not much different than when I was in High School. I think a lot of people in their early and mid-20's still feel like that, when you're in that awkward phase between being a young adult for the first time but still not sure what you plan to do for the rest of you life.

But a lot of people here already hit 30, or are close to it. How do you guys cope with hitting 30? That's like the milestone you can never go back from.

I just can't believe that dreaded 3-0 number is approaching for so many of us. I just don't want to think about it. It makes you officially realize your youth is slipping away and have aged.
This song always cheers me up when thinking of how old I am getting (just turned 23 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY6L7YMkVhA
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Blond View Post

When you're in your 30's you're expected to settle down and have 2.5 children. No more random flings for you.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #26
HotNunchuckFury
Foot Soldier

It really isn't worth worrying about. Each year brings new experiences and opportunities, there is always something to look forward to, even if you don't know what that will be. The best thing for me about growing older is gaining confidence. I wouldn't turn the clock back even if I could. I've worked too hard to become who I am today and I wouldn't want to loose what I've gained. This is coming from a married, 32yr old mother of 2
HotNunchuckFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #27
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Aw it's not so bad. Just another number, really. I tend to think about what a relief it is to have put a tun of unpleasant miles behind me. There was a gal everyone told me I shouldn't date in college, and I was dumb enough to go ahead with it anyway. I think of being fortunate enough to be out of that situation and in a much better one these days. I don't have anything against my x. Not anymore. We weren't right for each other, and I was too bent on finding Mrs. Right to realize that at the time. I did find the perfect person for me, but it happened when I wasn't searching so strenuously. I think I learned allot in my 20's, but the main thing was patience. Another one was-- ironically enough, how to be a better listener and how to be content. Well I guess I'm still learning about being a better listener. Those, and you never really stop learning life's lessons. There's always room for improvement so I can be a better friend/partner etc. But you do that a step at a time. Life is similar to algebra, or at least that was what one of my teachers used to say. You handle things one step at a time because it's complicated enough. I don't think I'd like to relive my 20's again. Well, maybe the good parts. I'd rather not have to relearn this and that all over again. I still have a tun to learn as it is. Life's crazy sometimes. One minute, I feel like I'm 30, and then it has a way of reminding me that I'm still green.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #28
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
When you're in your 30's you're expected to settle down and have 2.5 children. No more random flings for you.
I would like this very much.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #29
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Back when I was a teenager, I believed I'd become very mature and responsible by the time I got in my 20s. While I'm obviously more mature and responsible than when I was 15, i still feel quite young and like things I did back then.

Maybe I'm still going through the phase of recently becoming an adult but I'm really loving it. It's great to be able to do whatever you want and having no one ordering you around or treating you like a kid.
Yeah, same here. I mean, I'm definitely more mature and responsible than I used to be, and I have a better understanding that the world isn't all sunshine and roses like I did when I was younger, but that doesn't mean I've given up on things like TMNT or cartoons in general. Of course, I set goals for myself by this time like getting a job and moving on my own, which haven't happened yet, but that's because none of us saw the downfall of the economy coming when it did, and I was unfortunate enough to graduate college just when that was happening. And while I'd love to be out on my own, I still feel that I need to stay here as my parents are getting older and need me more than ever. I help Dad with work outside when he needs me, and he's learning that I can do things he never thought I could do before when I was younger. I help Mom with grocery shopping and anything else she wants me to do, and I'm glad to be here for them because my other siblings aren't around. I'm just happy to have a place to live and parents who care about me just as I care about them. I'm also in a loving relationship and while I don't want to get married because I don't believe in marriage, I'm still happy I have someone who cares about me and understands why I feel that way and respects it.

It's all about perspective. If you dread something, then when it comes, you won't be happy about it. I think I'm dreading turning 50 more than 40 because that's really when you'll be over the hill. But I'll deal with that when it comes. Just be happy for what you have and don't worry about what's to come unless you have to. That's the best advice I can give to anyone.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #30
spiderpumpkin
Foot Soldier

How about hitting 40?
spiderpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderpumpkin View Post
How about hitting 40?
I don't want to even think about it.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #32
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

I wonder if the fear of getting older, is because society is slanted in it's preference towards youth?

If you're a woman, you're seen as less 'desirable' once you've reached a certain age (I'm not talking wrinkles here, just age) and the descriptions of you become increasingly more negative.

If in a job situation, there is a known tendency to want younger workers, even though the older ones have more experience.

For some jobs, even though they have older members, there is a 'cut off' age. Once you get past past that you can't get that job. US Police used to have this at age 35, but they took that away and you can get a job as one all the way up to 60-65 I think.

But the thing is, age really is arbitrary in most cases, but the way society sort of starts restricting you (sometimes to the point of it being sometimes being harder to get a job after say, age 40 due to age alone) makes it harder not to feel uneasy.

Is that a part of your fear, Cubed? That you will be made to feel useless and not worth anything as you get older? Or is it the fear of physical decline?
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #33
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

I just figured it was better than stopping at 29...
Old 06-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #34
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Seems like you care a bit too much about what society thinks of you. So what if you're in your 30s and are still single and have no kids? I wasn't aware it was mandatory for everyone to settle down.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Seems like you care a bit too much about what society thinks of you. So what if you're in your 30s and are still single and have no kids? I wasn't aware it was mandatory for everyone to settle down.
Well I'm just saying, its about the age where most people start a family. Its actually better to have your first kid in your 30's than the people who have kids young at like 22-25. You're finally older and mature enough to raise a child, and by then you should have a better job than you had in your 20's.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #36
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Well I'm just saying, its about the age where most people start a family. Its actually better to have your first kid in your 30's than the people who have kids young at like 22-25. You're finally older and mature enough to raise a child, and by then you should have a better job than you had in your 20's.
Well yeah, I'd rather get married and have kids at 30 than in my early 20s. That being said, I have no plans in starting a family. Who knows if my mind might change in 10 years or so.

The biggest fears one should have about hitting 30 is their career and their health(that's always important). Health can be tricky but your career depends a lot on you. You just gotta study and work hard in your 20s to get a decent job and career later.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #37
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Quote:
Hey, it's entirely up to you what sort of life you have - single or not single, children or no children, happy or unhappy. You shouldn't even factor societal expectations into your choices. I'm in an open relationship, have been for nearly ten years, neither of us have any intention of procreating and we're perfectly happy. I certainly don't feel that I'm missing out on anything.

I'm not doing what society expects me to do, but I couldn't care less - I'm happy with my life the way it is and I'm being true to myself. You need to think about what would make you happiest.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #38
Dirty Blond
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Not for love, for convenience. Good luck slaying at the age of 55 LOL.

Ideal life:
16-35: SLAY
35-55: Get married to a young girl (early 20s when you're 35), have a few kids and raise a family. Your first wife will help raise your kids. By the time your kids leave the house you and your wife will be sick of each other, so get a divorce at around 55.
55: Marry another young girl (early 20s if you have M+S, early 30s if you don't). Your second wife will look after you until you die.
Dirty Blond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #39
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I had a minor bout of depression when I hit 30, but I got over it. Now I'm 37, and what I'm REALLY dreading is hitting 40. I am not where I wanted to be at this point in my life, by any means, and it's starting to feel like I've wasted half my life. Now THAT'S something to worry about.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:59 AM   #40
Leo656
The Franchise

I'll never understand why some people feel pressure to have kids at all, regardless of when. Kids are a needless complication, and there's already plenty of 'em, they don't need anyone popping out more. Planet's full, people. Get a puppy, it costs a lot less and leaves a much smaller carbon footprint. Not to mention it'll never grow up to become a stripper, or waste all the money you worked your whole life for on a liberal arts degree, or put you in a crooked nursing home like the one on 60 Minutes.

I could never be half as self-centered, narcissistic, womanizing OR obnoxious if I had kids to worry about, and by that point, I think I'd just as soon not even show up. I don't need that hassle. I can get drunk at 11am if I feel like it. You can't do that when you have kids. Well, I mean, you can... but it's frowned upon, generally.

Don't worry about being in your 30s and not having any kids, as that's more of a sign you're way, way ahead of the game. And you can still pick up chicks once you hit 30, it's just a lot harder to pick them up at the mall, high school football games, or the bowling alley on a Saturday afternoon. At least without getting a lot of stares and whispers.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed the timemaster, cybercubed thinks deep, cybercucked, same old song and dance, sjw is the new 30