The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #41
Powder
So tired of this place

Looks so pumped, I can't wait. I hope Netflix does more stuff like this into the future, too! Imagine a new Neverending Story or something.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:10 AM   #42
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Looks so pumped, I can't wait. I hope Netflix does more stuff like this into the future, too! Imagine a new Neverending Story or something.
Yup a series based on the book would be cool.

And who agrees with everything i said about this series being a passion project than a ****** halfassed moneygrab to piss on a legacy than those i mentioned and more in common with Blade runner 2049?
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #43
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

https://toynewsi.com/news.php?itemid...6HHfEmkSZihmqM

Nice solid cast and i bet Sigourney is gonna be the narrator.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #44
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMRz6Hfjelo

"As a filmmaker, one of my earliest influences was Jim Henson’s masterpiece The Dark Crystal, a movie that brought to life a universe rich in detail and teeming with incredible characters. The creativity in the film was limitless and groundbreaking for that time, restricted only by the special effects tools of its day.
As I envision Age of Resistance, I am most excited about joining today’s film techniques with the practical visual effects that are such an integral part of The Dark Crystal – the artistry, the craftsmanship, the performances, and of course the puppets! It is a gift and an honor to work alongside the teams at The Jim Henson Company and Netflix, the artists at Jim Henson’s Creature Shop, and the Frouds, as we begin this new adventure, diving deeper into the world of Thra and working hard to bring fans all they have hoped for.
– Louis Leterrier (Executive producer and show developer and director of the series)".

You heard it here from the director's mouth! it's an actual passion project made by a filmmaker who actually knows what's doing and like Denis villeneuve was to Blade Runner whom he has been a fan of BR all his life and when a sequel was greenlighted, he was passionate about doing the impossible of a sequel no one thought of as he deeply respected the world/ideas/characters of Blade Runner especially Deckard with his amazing sequel.

That's the thing if your gonna bring back a retro movie or property back, you have to have a fine filmmaker who has passion to do something like this as Louis grew up with the original movie since he was a kid seeing it at the movies when it came out in France in 1983 and he loved it as it was one of the movies that influenced him to make movies along with the classic Star Wars trilogy, Jaws and more.

It's not something like Ghostbusters which was an obvious corporate cash-in where Paul Feig didn't give a flying damn about the property nor any passion for the franchise and did the movie for the paycheck to fill in his pockets and it was an insulting disaster of a film in 2016 or that Elm Street remake where Samuel Bayer who had little experience when only doing videos as he did it only for a paycheck and didn't give a damn about the property.

No, it's nothing like that but that's an important thing is you need to have actual passion for a property to make it work and this new show looks like a winner due to it. this series looks to be made to really honor and expand on the movie rather than just cash in like so many other franchises.i mean it's getting huge buzz, positive responses, big interests,solid cast, huge anticipation from Sci-fi/fantasy fans like myself who want something now that Game of Thrones has ended as it and The Witcher are hugely anticipated netflix fantasy shows even HBO's Watchmen and His Dark Materials. It's getting advertising, merchandise even books and all, it's gonna be a blockbuster series among fans and newcomers/a new generation of fans who are interested in the world of the dark crystal even the history of the world before Jen and Kira came along.

And once it becomes a huge hit on netflix, i guaranteed it will usher a new age of puppetry and animatronics and practical effects into hollywood and i hear two more seasons are coming. And it looks much better than star Wars episode 9.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:38 PM   #45
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Was just watching this video and definitely look forward to checking it out.

I assume most are new characters, but it's cool that at least Aughra seems to be returning. Along with some (all?) of the Skeksis, of course. (Not so sure about the Landstriders though, they always kinda creeped me out. lol)

IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:48 PM   #46
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Well given that this is way before Jen and Kira's time, they won't be in it, but I imagine the Mystics who raised him will be. They and the Skeksis are/were basically immortal, after all. (Or at least aged so slowly that they might as well be.)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:41 PM   #47
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Well given that this is way before Jen and Kira's time, they won't be in it, but I imagine the Mystics who raised him will be. They and the Skeksis are/were basically immortal, after all. (Or at least aged so slowly that they might as well be.)
Precisely why.

And you like the cast so far?
Old 07-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #48
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

I don't know much about the cast, as I've only seen the trailers. But they sound good.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #49
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MjxmT51m3Y

Anyone senses a Demolition Man vibe with the idea that the Skeksis were kind and good just like Cocteau from that movie and Rian is like Edgar Friendly who can see there is greed, corruption, abuse of power and all that to the so called benevolent leader and the gelflings are like the scraps from that movie?
Old 08-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #50
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I was pretty sure they were all one race until individuals literally split apart into the best and worst parts of themselves (hence why when a Skeksis died, so did its respective Cocteau)
Old 08-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #51
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Actually, they are called Urs. The original race was called Ur-Skeks. Hence Skeksis and Urs. And yes, they were each half of one whole, which was why healing the Crystal was so important. It healed THEM, too! I spent a bit of time last week thumbing through a novel tie-in, and it seems it has to do with how the Skeksis began using gelflings life-essence to prolong their own lives, and a group of gelflings learns of it and tries to warn their people. And it has a lot of dream-fasting, and there are different gelfling clans, including one that can breath water, apparently. I'm intrigued by the entire concept, of how the gelflings became "extinct", because the Skeksis basically were committing genocide to make themselves young. I guess unlike the Pod-people, gelflings don't survive as soulless slaves, they just die. Unless the Skeksis learned to refine it so it just took most of the essence, but left just enough to make them easy to control.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #52
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Well what i mean is the Skeksis acted all nice after they split apart with the Urru and became lords of the crystal and acted all "benevolent" like the Urru when the Urru are the REAL benevolent ones compared to the Skeksis where the Skeksis show their true nature outside the gelflings.

That's what i mean with the Demolition Man comparisions is Skeksis acted like benevolent saviors to the Skeksis what Cocteau was to San Angelis and Rian is like Edgar Friendly who can see through the ******** the Skeksis are.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:06 AM   #53
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Watched the first three episodes last night and so far it's pretty good!

Spoiler:
Poor Mira, cool character gone too soon.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:17 AM   #54
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Watched the first three episodes last night and so far it's pretty good!

Spoiler:
Poor Mira, cool character gone too soon.
I caught the first 3 yesterday also, continuing this eve. I did kinda look away at one scene even if it is PG with Puppets

Spoiler:
when the creature ate the scientists eyeball, even though it wasn't too graphic

Last edited by newfan; 08-31-2019 at 03:23 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:41 PM   #55
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
Well what i mean is the Skeksis acted all nice after they split apart with the Urru and became lords of the crystal and acted all "benevolent" like the Urru when the Urru are the REAL benevolent ones compared to the Skeksis where the Skeksis show their true nature outside the gelflings.

That's what i mean with the Demolition Man comparisions is Skeksis acted like benevolent saviors to the Skeksis what Cocteau was to San Angelis and Rian is like Edgar Friendly who can see through the ******** the Skeksis are.

Hmm, the book tie-in didn't really even make them seem "benevolent" at all, just not as fully corrupt as in the movie. They were just beginning to use the life essence, so it ssems it was a fairly new idea for them, and still trying to perfect it- by using their own gelfling castle guards! I'm guessing it was not long after the Crystal cracked, because there is mention of the last Conjunction. The story seems to revolve around one gelfing seeing his friend in the guards taken away, he follows, and witnesses her essence drained. He is found out, and is on the run, while his sister (a twin!) feels something wrong and goes to find him. Essentially, his memories, and those of a gelfling who helped him escape, are the only proof of what is going on (through dreamfasting).

Old 08-31-2019, 02:17 PM   #56
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Binged watched it all.

It contained all the Nopes of the original, and shoved in so, so many more.

Episode 7 was pretty awesome, though.
With its puppet show inside a puppet show.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:29 AM   #57
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Big Nopes? Explain.

(I should mention I just rewatched the original film yesterday, so I'm hoping to come into this discussion with a bit of fresh memory/perspective about everything.)

Last edited by MsMarvelDuckie; 09-02-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #58
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

My favorite show of the year!

anyone who grew up with the 1982 Jim Henson fantasy classic who is either an 80s kid or a 90s kid (ones who saw it on video or on Disney Channel in the 90s) or even those who are 80s/90s kids hybrids like me (born 37 years ago and adored the movie for for 33 years since i was 4 when my parents bought me the movie on VHS at 4 then 25 years ago i rebought the movie on Disney's VHS when i was 13 in 94 then in 2000 i replaced the tape with DVD then in 2009 with blu-ray and last year i bought the ultraHD 4K BD which is my first UltraHD 4K BD purchase).

I love the world building, different gelfling tribes, the origin of how Skektek got his eyes removed and all that. Maybe in season 2 we'll get a flashback of how the Urseks came and split into the two different races. And i hear there will be more mystics in season 2 and maybe in season 2 they can get Ron Perlman, Kevin Conroy, Jim Cummings, Frank Welker, Keith David, Brad Douriff, and Rob Paulsen. Charlie Adler can be Skekung the Garthim master.

This is using practical effects, animatronics, people in suits, puppets, cgi, models and all balanced together and is a passion project made by people who have an actual love of the original and honoring Henson's legacy and respecting the material just like Blade Runner 2049 was to Blade Runner as that was an excellent sequel. It's succeeds like that movie where other attempts at bringing a retro film property back like Ghostbusters, Elm Street etc. failed.

This looks like it's doing Jim proud! and nice cast too even Mark Hamil as the scientist. I'm glad the show is a blockbuster on netflix and the Jim Henson company is gonna do season 2. Quality storytelling and good writing and characterization makes this a solid series.

It's Star Wars, Frank Herbert's Dune, Heavy Metal, Game of Thrones, Avatar (both Airbender series and James Cameron), Demolition Man, Robert E Howard, Harry Potter and Tolkein rolled into one unique series.

I also loved the Labyrinth, Neverending Story and Princess Bride references some episodes had.

A winner.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #59
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Episode 7 was pretty awesome, though.
With its puppet show inside a puppet show.
Just watched that one last night, and agree it was pretty cool!

I also like how...
Spoiler:
...they've included a seemingly good, outcast Skeksis, along with his Mystic other half, and both wanting to make it right and become one being again.

Enjoying it pretty well. Will probably catch the last two eps tonight. I hope they make more. Though I'm questioning where they can even take this since they presumably can't actually defeat the Skeksis in a series, because movie.

Starting to hope that at least one of these Gelflings is the parent of either Kira or Jen.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:43 AM   #60
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'm pretty convinced that Deet and Rian are Kira's parents. Or at the very least, Deet is Kira's mother.

They look a lot alike and Kira has the healing powers that Deet gains. But most most importantly...the Podlings.
Now it's just not looking like a coincidence that the Podlings found a Gelfling baby plopped down in the woods. I'd go so far to say that because of Deet's friendship with Hup, she knew the Podlings would be able to protect her child, and knew exactly where to hide the baby so they could find her.