The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

For some reason I, too, would be fascinated to see/revisit the toy shelves of the late 80s, early 90s of Toys 'R' Us. I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a kind of magical time for me.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #22
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Hill's ROCKED!!! They had tons of Icee flavors and popcorn right when you entered the store! They *always* had an aisle full of Turtle toys and yep, that's where I always headed to, or was a good little boy while mom looked at the clothes so I *could* get over to the toys!
Not sure if you were collecting then or if it was a regional thing or what, but do you remember that the first wave or two of figures there had neon orange 50 cents off stickers on the packages? I can't remember if the coupon brought the toys down to $2.50 or $2, though.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #23
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Yeah, I also grew up in the Cleveland area and I remember all of those stores. I remember going into Children's Palace and the TMNT toys were just towering over me on the shelves. The first place I ever saw TMNT figures was a place called Big Wheel. Anyone remember that?
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #24
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
Yeah, I also grew up in the Cleveland area and I remember all of those stores. I remember going into Children's Palace and the TMNT toys were just towering over me on the shelves. The first place I ever saw TMNT figures was a place called Big Wheel. Anyone remember that?
Is that the place that shut down and was taken over by Hills? I don't know if it was an official takeover, but I do remember many of the locations becoming Hills stores.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #25
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Yeah, I believe so...then Hills was eventually taken over by Ames in most places. Everyone was eventually killed by Kmart, Walmart and Target though.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #26
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

^ Actually, the name I was thinking of is Gold Circle. I don't remember Big Wheel, but I do remember Gold Circle being taken over by Hills. I also remember Zayres (sp?), which was taken over by Ames, which I never much cared for.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #27
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

I remember being really excited when the Movie Star Turtles were on the shelves at Target. I also have vague memories of finally getting April O'Neil from Target when I was a kid. The one with the orange boots. Took me a couple of years before I finally chose to get an April figure. My hesitation around women apparently began with small, plastic ones.

I also remember being excited as a kid when I spotted actual Power Rangers on the shelves for the first time. Remember that first Christmas when they were impossible to find?
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #28
raphfan84
Stone Warrior

Lord yes!!! I remember my brother and I were hunting the 8 inch Power Rangers it seemed like every time we went into the stores with no luck at all. Then on Christmas we finally got all of them but the Green Ranger! Hah...good times, good times!
raphfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #29
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphfan84 View Post
Lord yes!!! I remember my brother and I were hunting the 8 inch Power Rangers it seemed like every time we went into the stores with no luck at all. Then on Christmas we finally got all of them but the Green Ranger! Hah...good times, good times!
Green Ranger was packaged with the Dragonzord, wasn't he? I don't remember him ever being sold separately.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #30
Stingray69
Stone Warrior

You could get the green ranger with out the dragon zord.
Stingray69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #31
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

Slightly off-topic, but my local TK Maxx tends to have very old stuff in its toy section (there's a few random TMNT figures there from about 6 years ago), but I was shocked to see 15-year-old Gargoyles & Star Wars figures there the other day. I did get a strange thrill at seeing something with the Kenner logo on the pegs, I have to admit.

I'd love to know where they came from. They were absolutely mint, no damage to the cards or bubbles. The thought of some random warehouse full of old toys is almost too much to imagine...
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #32
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Not sure if you were collecting then or if it was a regional thing or what, but do you remember that the first wave or two of figures there had neon orange 50 cents off stickers on the packages? I can't remember if the coupon brought the toys down to $2.50 or $2, though.
I remember the sticker being orange, but not what the pricing was. If memory serves correctly though, you're on target with the price point.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #33
tmntgoldcoin
Stone Warrior

Those gi joes are just sick to look at. Brings back great memories.
tmntgoldcoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #34
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray69 View Post
You could get the green ranger with out the dragon zord.
Really? I've never seen it. The first time I saw a single Green Ranger figure was one of the 3-inch figurines where he's posed with the dragon dagger. Then there was the "Morphin" one where it switches between Tommy/helmet.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #35
JaffleMan
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogod View Post
Slightly off-topic, but my local TK Maxx tends to have very old stuff in its toy section (there's a few random TMNT figures there from about 6 years ago), but I was shocked to see 15-year-old Gargoyles & Star Wars figures there the other day. I did get a strange thrill at seeing something with the Kenner logo on the pegs, I have to admit.

I'd love to know where they came from. They were absolutely mint, no damage to the cards or bubbles. The thought of some random warehouse full of old toys is almost too much to imagine...
this sort of thing does happen. about 4 or so years ago i was able to buy 2 sets of the movie star figures from a local toy kingdom for $5 each. wish i now bought all of them. same store also had mutations figures in japanese packaging. but every figure was don. lol
JaffleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #36
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Hi,
I recenlty take a couple of pictures of old tmnt stuff moc in a comics store called TateĀ“s located in Lauderhill, Florida. Great store by the way. Hope you like it.
I don't think you quite understand the point of this thread.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #37
Uki
Hench Mutant

Well, it's better than no pics, Sammy.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #38
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uki View Post
Well, it's better than no pics, Sammy.
Well, saying you took pictures then not posting them is the same as saying you took pictures when you really didn't. Besides, the point of this thread is to see the toys on the pegs from that era. I could go into a goodwill and take some pics of some old toys on pegs, but that wouldn't be the same. Just sayin'.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #39
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"

Amen.

When reading this thread, the first thought in my mind was that most collectors on here were around what, 7-12 years old? Or if you're older, you probably didn't start collecting until later. Either way, unless you were a collector who was at least in their 20's when they came out, I doubt anyone took an old school film camera into KMart, TrU, etc and took pictures.

Good luck with this. I really hope to see some pictures of an old school TMNT display. I know it would be awesome. But I'm not holding my breath.

On this forum
On Facebook

Samples:

DonatelloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #40
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonatelloFan View Post
Amen.

When reading this thread, the first thought in my mind was that most collectors on here were around what, 7-12 years old?
More like 20-32 years old, dude.