The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #7861
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Found out this morning that not only will our store be open on Thanksgiving but it apparently isn't closing AT ALL. This means we don't even get a half day off for the holiday, to have dinner or whatever. In the past we always at least closed at 11 after breakfast hours were over. This year is going to suck.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #7862
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
not if it's a crazy explosion. those are usually easy to deal with. problem is, they are everywhere no matter where one goes.
This post makes me think of a great quote from Justified:

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.”
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #7863
CyberCubed
Overlord

I seriously wonder how Vegita-san functions in real life based on the things he posts in this thread or on the forum in general. I can imagine him giving people the evil eye in real life and judging people based on everything they say and having double standards against everyone. He reminds me of those people who come up with bizarre conspiracy theories of how the entire world is secretly plotting things against them.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #7864
Vegita-San
Emperor

that quote might have worked in the past, but not so much now.

for example.

Lets say you write 'This is America, Why can't Superman say 'for truth, justice and the american way?'

and you forget for a moment, or it doesn't even cross your mind at the time, that you're writing that post on an international message board, and a dozen people come at you with rants and raves for saying that?

That's a crazy explosion. an over reaction to something so simple.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #7865
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

An easy solution to this problem is to consider other people and other contexts when talking to groups of an unknown quantity.

Bad things can happen when one assumes a space is safe for them, when it isn't.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #7866
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I'm not American myself and I don't necessarily think the American way is necessarily the best way.

But Superman should always stand up for the American way, its simply too iconic and electrifyingly cool to abandon as a slogan. No amount of safe spaces and pc will change that.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #7867
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Found out this morning that not only will our store be open on Thanksgiving but it apparently isn't closing AT ALL. This means we don't even get a half day off for the holiday, to have dinner or whatever. In the past we always at least closed at 11 after breakfast hours were over. This year is going to suck.
Sorry to hear that Duckie. I hate that it has become this way and holidays aren't all that special anymore. And so many companies sit there and pretend that people's families and "work-life balance" are important to them. Right.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #7868
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I'll be right there with ya Ducky. My job...at least the one I was hired for and not the one I'm now just expected to do...is 24/7/365. And Thanksgiving falls on a day I work, so...

Fun thing is I think my normal 10 hour shift becomes a 12 for coverage sake...BUT it could be worse, I could work Christmas day this year.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:21 PM   #7869
newfan
Mad Scientist

Sucks for you guys having to work on Thanksgiving.
Working during the holidays does seem to be becoming more common for some occupations and at normal hours too.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #7870
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

That this sort of thing happens to people every year is crap.
Once every few years I understand, a lot of my family Works in Health and emergency services, places that need to be manned at all times.

But the guys at my father's old fire station would split a Christmas shift so that someone with small children could be home on Christmas morning.

Of course they were Union, and have the ability to do such things.

This is the very reason that me and immediate family boycott Black Friday. Or at least that's what we call it when we sleep until noon the day after Thanksgiving.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #7871
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I love working Thanksgiving. Time and a half all day, babyyyy.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #7872
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

If only that was a thing for everybody.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:16 PM   #7873
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Smile

Yeah, if ONLY.....

Old 11-22-2017, 08:38 PM   #7874
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Todays grind: worked a 10 & 1/2 hr shift on what is usually the most insanely busy day of the year. No breaks and no time to breathe. By the time I got out of there I was mentallyvand physically exhausted and was wearing eu de café perfume. (IE I smelled like I bathed in coffee. I am sick to death of making frappes and macchiatos.)

Old 11-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #7875
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Every time I wash my hair, it feels like I've missed areas on my scalp, so it's dry and achy. I'm not sure if that's because I actually do miss them, or if it's just too thick to actually get in there...
Old 11-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #7876
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I wish cruddy customers would just shop online (from actual stores, not just Amazon) and avoid showing up at the brick and mortars. Esp those that have to get an attitude with the employees over things that are out of their hands.

This stupid woman was unhappy over the fact that we only had one bra of a type and size she wanted. She comes in with a paper printed from the website with a price that expired yesterday. She's claiming there is a buy one get one deal.... but yeah, I dunno about that, I put those signs up a while earlier and I saw no BOGO signs, which are obvious because there is no bar code for me to scan when put up. This stuff is 30% off.

She wants two, for whatever deal she claims there is, and given that we can't magically pull another out of asses I suggested we check online. (I did find one other similar one in that size in the back, but it had lace across the front so therefore unacceptable - of course.) Claimed a co-worker had already looked it up for her (then why the hell is she over here bugging me about it now?) But that's no good either because the price is higher on the website than she wants. And I guess she just expects us to honor whatever price she thinks it should be. Ugh. Just go away, because there is going to be NO pleasing you Online prices from the expired sale she showed me aren't always the same as in-store anyhow, sometimes they're lower and online-only, which I'm sure we've all been disappointed by sometimes.

She even complained about how bras are pulled out of the packages (these are in plastic packages rather than on hangers like most brands), about some of the wrong bras in the wrong packages etc and acts slightly flabbergasted over isn't there anyone that cleans up? Aren't there people who come in at night to do that?

The hell... NO... There isn't a special overnight crew that comes in to do that, and we're bare bones as it is. Nor do we have psychic powers in order to know that the wrong bra is in the wrong plastic sleeve! We're somehow supposed to know this or be checking it all the time?? Lady, I have SO many more responsibilities than just cleaning up and none of us sure as hell don't have the time to pull every single bra out of the package all the time (hardly ever) to make sure it's right. You want it perfect? Then apply for a job and come do it. I understand that if it is messy it can be hard to find stuff, and is why I was working on part of that department yesterday (and I made those packages lined up neat and tidy the previous day and were still fine), but this attitude is outside reasonable expectation.

And naturally my manager also has to complain about crap to me that she probably needs to be talking to some OTHER people about it who are a large factor, but I doubt she will.

I wasn't even supposed to be in today but gave up a few hours of my day off to help with the signs since the company is an idiot and made that today instead of the usual Sunday. Manager only knew about this late so she'd scheduled only two ad sign knowledgeable people this morning, so a few of us chose to come in and help for a while. But some of this nonsense... I did not give up part of my day off for this. >.>

And then... I ran to the store after work, opened the Jeep door and the wind caught it surprisingly hard, causing the door to yank hard enough on the door check strap that it broke the head off a screw on the metal piece it was hooked to on the door. The strap no longer connected to the door and the screw head hitting me in the leg.

Heard and felt it and for a moment had no idea what the hell even broke. Minor I guess, but that sucks and probably can't be fixed since the rest of the screw is still in the door. So much for that strap being still being able to do its job... Guess I can look forward to the next time the wind actually wants to actually slam the door against my vehicle.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #7877
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Jet lag! I want to sleep, but it's just not happening.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #7878
Prowler
Emperor

Some guy I've talked some times on the internet before said something for the first time in ages... turns out he is dying of terminal cancer. And he's rather young still(not even 40, I believe).

Jesus Christ
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:33 PM   #7879
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Very sad Being close in age, it's hard to even imagine life just being up and done at any moment. Poor guy. I wish him comfort in the rest of the time he has.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:39 AM   #7880
Vegita-San
Emperor

when you notice a thread for the first time, then notice it's 4 years old, and think you probably replied to it before but forgot about it.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote