The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-17-2015, 07:42 AM   #61
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Not familiar with Quantum Leap, so I can't really help you on this one, Duckie. I wish I could though.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #62
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Okay, new question:

So I started binge-watching Quantum Leap last night and today, trying to get a feel for the show and the characters (mainly Sam and Al) for my new crossover TMNT fic. Problem is, I don't have a title, and I'm stuck on the actual purpose for Sam's "leap". I have wracked my brain, but I'm still coming up mostly blank on those two things. Anyone got any suggestions?

FWIW, I plan on having him end up in Donnie's body. (This is 90's movie-verse, BTW, set shortly after TMNT III.) Most of the story will center around Sam trying to wrap his head around exactly WHAT he's gotten himself into this time, while the others are all wondering what happened to their brother (they pick up that he's an "imposter" pretty quickly) and I was going to incorporate the Time Scepter somehow. I know it was broken at the end of the movie, but I figure Donnie might have been studying it and/or tinkering with it to either determine more on how it works, or to fix it.

My first instinct was to have Sam trying to stop some disaster from happening, like one of them getting killed, or them getting outted- something along those lines. But I'm stuck on exactly WHAT the issue is. So here I am looking for ideas....
You could go totally meta... Sam has to prevent TMNT from fading into obscurity so that the rights don't get sold to Platinum Dunes and the worst ever movie is produced.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #63
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Thanks, CKD, but that wasn't exactly the direction I had in mind. Anyway, I finally managed to come up with an idea- Sam is supposed to prevent Don from getting zapped by the Scepter into a different time (or "out of time") a la SAINW, (but without the dystopian future- I'm using the movies-verse so that part doesn't apply) which would cause the others to all separate and end up getting killed later. Also have a "working" title. Going with "A Matter of Time" for now. So.... Good? Bad? Thoughts? Sorry to bother anyone with this, I was just having a harder time than usual collecting my thoughts on the actual storyline. But once I started the opening scene, it all just sort of fell into place! And so far, it's turning out pretty funny- but still serious, if that makes any sense.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #64
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Thanks, CKD, but that wasn't exactly the direction I had in mind. Anyway, I finally managed to come up with an idea- Sam is supposed to prevent Don from getting zapped by the Scepter into a different time (or "out of time") a la SAINW, (but without the dystopian future- I'm using the movies-verse so that part doesn't apply) which would cause the others to all separate and end up getting killed later. Also have a "working" title. Going with "A Matter of Time" for now. So.... Good? Bad? Thoughts? Sorry to bother anyone with this, I was just having a harder time than usual collecting my thoughts on the actual storyline. But once I started the opening scene, it all just sort of fell into place! And so far, it's turning out pretty funny- but still serious, if that makes any sense.
I think that works.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #65
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I think it works pretty well, Duckie, and the title fits perfectly for what you want to do. Good luck.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #66
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

So how's the Muse treating you fellow writers?

I've been away from my writing desk for a few months, and had a crisis of faith concerning my current novel just a week ago. I was ready to throw in the towel and trash six months' and 177 pages' worth of work, but after completing the re-read, I got the fever back. Now I'm just trying to pick it back up, for the first time since... I dunno, June or July?

What about you guys?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #67
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Kind of in a mini slump, myself. I just can't seem to motivate myself, even though I have another monthly competition to get going on. Can't decide what to enter, and can't work up enthusiasm for any of my projects right now.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #68
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Thank God for Within Temptation. Without their instrumentals, I would never have been able to get past the scene I've been staring at since I last posted. Seven pages tonight and counting...
Old 09-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #69
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Ooh, love the choice of inspirational music! I'm partial to Stand My Ground and It's The Fear, myself. See Who I Am is a greatcsong, too. Discovered them a couple of years ago while browsing youtube for Nightwish and similar bands. I am absolutely in love with both!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #70
senpai
Stone Warrior

I haven't been writing at all lately :\

I've been actively looking for a F/T job, and haven't given my story any much thought at all. I would like to get back into it though... No muse right now. Just the drive to make money as quick as I can now that I graduated and it will be time to start paying back student loans in less than a month. x.x
senpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #71
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Dont feel bad. Other than my Leo/Raph tale, I havent written more than a paragraph or two in a couple of weeks.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #72
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Ooh, love the choice of inspirational music! I'm partial to Stand My Ground and It's The Fear, myself. See Who I Am is a greatcsong, too. Discovered them a couple of years ago while browsing youtube for Nightwish and similar bands. I am absolutely in love with both!
I realized last night, I have written with music for so long now, I literally cannot write without appropriate soundtrack music. For me, my favorite is Covered by Roses. Had "Silver Moonlight" on loop last night...

I like Nightwish, too... have you ever listened to any Halestorm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by senpai View Post
I haven't been writing at all lately :\

I've been actively looking for a F/T job, and haven't given my story any much thought at all. I would like to get back into it though... No muse right now. Just the drive to make money as quick as I can now that I graduated and it will be time to start paying back student loans in less than a month. x.x
Good luck with that! Do you think you'll be able to get a job in your field of study?
Old 09-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #73
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Finally broke out of my slump a few weeks back. Within a week and a half I was able to churn out a full 65 page pilot It's my little tribute to all the Buffy/Smallville/Supernatural-esque shows I grew up on.

Now I'm writing another pilot for a work competition. Aaaaaaand I'm back to being stumped lol
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #74
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Finally broke out of my slump a few weeks back. Within a week and a half I was able to churn out a full 65 page pilot It's my little tribute to all the Buffy/Smallville/Supernatural-esque shows I grew up on.

Now I'm writing another pilot for a work competition. Aaaaaaand I'm back to being stumped lol
VERY cool! Are you going to submit the pilot anywhere?
Old 09-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #75
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I realized last night, I have written with music for so long now, I literally cannot write without appropriate soundtrack music. For me, my favorite is Covered by Roses. Had "Silver Moonlight" on loop last night...

I like Nightwish, too... have you ever listened to any Halestorm?

Halestorm.... Not can't say that I have. As far as Nightwish goes, Nemo is my favorite, if only because it's both the first one I heard of theirs, and that it (supposedly) is about a dark elf, "lost" in both the literal and figurative sense. Apparently, said elf is searching for her identity outside of the strict, matriarchal totalitarian/theocratic society they live in, which basically stresses House and deity over all else, and ruthlessly weeds out the "weak" (read- compassionate, altruistic, or otherwise non-evil) by stamping out nonconformist ideas and all other paths but those deemed acceptable by a cruel demon-goddess. (And anyone who's ever played any old-school D&D adventures in the Underdark knows why this song fits the concept, which makes it awesome!)

I'm kind of like you in that I usually have music going when I write, but in my case it's usually a mix of songs that fit thematically with what I'm working on. I have several playlists, each one geared toward the writing project that it is designed for. I have TMNT, fantasy, general superhero, and romance playlists, as well as a couple of others that are just for general listening depending on my mood. There's a bit of overlap on several of them, Like my TMNT has a lot of the same tunes as my superhero and general 80's ones, and then there are some like my dance and Gargoyles lists (for my crossover fic) that are more unique. Then there are a few character playlists for times when I really need to get into a character's head, like individual ones for the four turtles (Raph's is very loud and harsh, obviously, LOL!) or my original characters Hunter Parker and his evil doppelganger Darkspider for my Marvel stories. The fantasy one is mainly for my drow bard's trilogy, as well as some other tales set in the same world.

Last edited by MsMarvelDuckie; 09-14-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #76
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Halestorm.... Not can't say that I have. As far as Nightwish goes, Nemo is my favorite, if only because it's both the first one I heard of theirs, and that it (supposedly) is about a dark elf, "lost" in both the literal and figurative sense. Apparently, said elf is searching for her identity outside of the strict, matriarchal totalitarian/theocratic society they live in, which basically stresses House and deity over all else, and ruthlessly weeds out the "weak" (read- compassionate, altruistic, or otherwise non-evil) by stamping out nonconformist ideas and all other paths but those deemed acceptable by a cruel demon-goddess. (And anyone who's ever played any old-school D&D adventures in the Underdark knows why this song fits the concept, which makes it awesome!)

I'm kind of like you in that I usually have music going when I write, but in my case it's usually a mix of songs that fit thematically with what I'm working on. I have several playlists, each one geared toward the writing project that it is designed for. I have TMNT, fantasy, general superhero, and romance playlists, as well as a couple of others that are just for general listening depending on my mood. There's a bit of overlap on several of them, Like my TMNT has a lot of the same tunes as my superhero and general 80's ones, and then there are some like my dance and Gargoyles lists (for my crossover fic) that are more unique. Then there are a few character playlists for times when I really need to get into a character's head, like individual ones for the four turtles (Raph's is very loud and harsh, obviously, LOL!) or my original characters Hunter Parker and his evil doppelganger Darkspider for my Marvel stories. The fantasy one is mainly for my drow bard's trilogy, as well as some other tales set in the same world.
Halestorm does an amazing "Bad Romance" cover... highly recommend.

I'll check out that "Nemo" song... you've intrigued me.

So what are you genres or playlists for the four Turtles, if you don't mind sharing? Quite curious. I came up with an entire playlist for writing a full-length novel about an insane asylum... that was some of the best music ever.

"Friends with the Monster", "Little Talks", "Uprising", "Shot in the Dark"... those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Plus a lotta dark Hans Zimmer and Black Mesa tracks.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:35 PM   #77
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Oh, cool! I like that list so far.

For Raph, a lot of old school metal and grunge, some classic rock, and a few early rap and R&B, mostly. Black Betty (mainly because of that diner fight in 07 movie), AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, some Tone Loc, Beastie Boys, Bad Company, Black Veil Brides, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, ect.

Mikey is easy. Lot of 80's and 90's pop and rock, metal, hip-hop, and especially dance and party hits. Foreigner, Guns n Roses, Van Halen, Heart, Aha, Michael Jackson, and Lionel Richie, to name a few. He likes power ballads in my head-canon, for some reason. And anything bouncy, fun, and dancable!

Donnie is the eclectic one. Classical, electronic and techno, showtunes, and some Euro and J-pop. Tangerine Dream, The Cure, Moby, Beethoven, Tchykovsky, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and some ethnic or new wave mostly.

Leo was the hardest to pun down, I finally decided on some mainstream and classic rock, a little country, and traditional Japanese music, as well as a few random choices that seemed to fit his mindset. Also, some 50's and 60's rock and roll- Beatles, Chubby Checker, Temptations, Elvis, and others. Don't know why, I just think he'd be old-fashioned that way, LOL!

Old 09-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #78
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Oh, cool! I like that list so far.

For Raph, a lot of old school metal and grunge, some classic rock, and a few early rap and R&B, mostly. Black Betty (mainly because of that diner fight in 07 movie), AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, some Tone Loc, Beastie Boys, Bad Company, Black Veil Brides, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, ect.

Mikey is easy. Lot of 80's and 90's pop and rock, metal, hip-hop, and especially dance and party hits. Foreigner, Guns n Roses, Van Halen, Heart, Aha, Michael Jackson, and Lionel Richie, to name a few. He likes power ballads in my head-canon, for some reason. And anything bouncy, fun, and dancable!

Donnie is the eclectic one. Classical, electronic and techno, showtunes, and some Euro and J-pop. Tangerine Dream, The Cure, Moby, Beethoven, Tchykovsky, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and some ethnic or new wave mostly.

Leo was the hardest to pun down, I finally decided on some mainstream and classic rock, a little country, and traditional Japanese music, as well as a few random choices that seemed to fit his mindset. Also, some 50's and 60's rock and roll- Beatles, Chubby Checker, Temptations, Elvis, and others. Don't know why, I just think he'd be old-fashioned that way, LOL!
Do you find that listening to songs with lyrics interferes with writing? That's always been my personal experience.

I like the music choices, and I totally agree... Leo would definitely be the hardest to pin down. I always figured it would be similar to the Nick Leo in that he would have this one hilarious fandom (his sci-fi television show... whatever it was) and that would manifest with his taste in music: outlaw country, or easy listening, or something else off the wall.

Found my "Asylum" soundtrack... I don't even remember some of these songs. Gonna have to give 'em a listen...

ASYLUM SOUNDTRACK

Freak Like Me - Halestorm
The Monster - Eminem
Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
Uprising - Muse
Shot in the Dark - Within Temptation
Didn't I - Montgomery Gentry
Skillet - Hero
Burn It to the Ground - Nickelback
Phoenix - Fall Out Boy
Light 'Em Up - Fall Out Boy
Get Out Alive - Three Days Grace
Animal I Have Become - Three Days Grace
Old 09-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #79
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Interesting. I have a few of those in my playlists, too. As for vocal music interfering, I'd have to say no. Often I find that the lyrics actually inspire me with new ideas, or by helping me grasp the mood or tone of a given scene emotionally or with dialog. (I've been known to have characters sing a line or two on occasion, especially in humorous scenes- at one point in my Love Is Shell tale, Mikey is caught singing in the shower by the main character, and she later teases him by asking when he's going on tour. I used a few lines from a Meat Loaf song for that scene. Or in my dark elf saga, the main character is a bard, and in one scene he meets a little girl who heard him singing a song he had just been working on during a rain storm. I also sometimes use lines or titles of songs as story or chapter titles.

Now that I'm home on my PC, here's just a few examples from each turtle's lists:

Leo: Bob Segar- Old Time Rock and Roll
Chuck Berry- Johnny B. Goode
Bon Jovi- Never Say Die
Journey- Midnight Train(Don't Stop Believing)
Rex Allen Jr.- Last of the Silver Screen Cowboys
Autopilot Off- Raise Your Rifles
Tom Petty- Won't Back Down
Yellowcard- City of Devils
Hall and Oates- Private Eyes
Beatles- Twist and Shout
Cat Stevens- Cats In the Cradle
Eddie Rabbit- Driving My Life Away

Raph: Korn- Freak on a Leash
Quiet Riot- Bang your Head
ZZ Top- Bad Girl
Ozzy Osbourne- I Don't Want to Stop
Queensryche- Walk in the Shadows
Megadeath- Angry Again
Limp Bizkit- Break Stuff
Eagles- Life in the Fast Lane
Iron Maiden- Can I Play With Madness
Drowning Pool- Bodies
Tone-Loc- Wild Thing

Mikey: Redbone- Come and Get Your Love
Tom Cochrane- Life Is a Highway(NOT the cover by Rascal Flats!)
Carl Douglas- Kung Fu Fighting (I see him doing a dance-off to this)
DeBarge- Rhythm of the Night
Snap!- The Power
Aha- Take On Me
Marky Mark & funky Bunch- Good Vibrations
Will Smith- Summertime
Men Without Hats- Safety Dance (I see him obnoxiously bugging his brothers with it, LOL!)
Cyndi Lauper- Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen (another one he'd annoy them with!)
Right Said Fred- I'm Too Sexy (again- obnoxiously playing it loudly and singing or dancing to it!)

Donnie: Beethoven- Moonlight Sonata
Adiemus- Water Dance
Falco- Rock Me Amadeus
ELO- Fire On High
Harold Faltermeyer- Axel F
Enigma- Sadeness, Pt. 1
Origa- Inner Universe
Andrew Lloyd Webber- Music of the Night
Chess- One Night in Bangkok
Handel- Pastoral Symphony
Riverdance- Firedance
Roxette- Joyride
John Williams- Duel of Fates
Mighty Dub Kats- Magic Carpet Ride

Old 09-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #80
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
VERY cool! Are you going to submit the pilot anywhere?
Not just yet. I'm definitely making a push to have three pilots finished by the years ends and take them to my boss (he's an executive producer) to consider me for story coordinator or writers assistant next season(assuming we're picked up). So fingers crossed on that

There's also a chance I'll make a comic out of this script, too. An artist friend of my mine read it and really wanted to draw it.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote