The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
rayfillet101
Mad Scientist

Jennika Miniseries starts in February!

https://comicbook.com/comics/2019/11...vgAw1dzlbynHK4

Jennika 3 issue miniseries written and drawn by Brahm Revel!

"When you scream my name, pleading for the pain to stop, you may call me...Bishop."
rayfillet101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
ChosenOne
Banned

Nice to see 2020 kicking off with a new mini after this year has been sorely lacking in that departament, and more Jennika character development is always a good thing. I wonder if we might go back to meet her family?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
rayfillet101
Mad Scientist

Could be. Brahm did the short story of her "origin" in TMNT U. Looking forward to 2020 now!

"When you scream my name, pleading for the pain to stop, you may call me...Bishop."
Old 11-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
daggio
Foot Soldier

Maybe we will see more of the "Harold's Angels" thing that I hope is continued post 100......presuming Angel and Alopex survive.
daggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

"Jennika has always been a fascinating character"

Um, no. She's not been. But I am looking forward to her becoming interesting and fleshed out. Her backstory really put me to sleep, and I think she is in dire need of some character development.

So far, the most interesting thing about her is that she mutated. I'm really looking forward to her actually becoming interesting.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
rayfillet101
Mad Scientist

Her mutation and how she is facing life as a mutant is interesting, but I hope it is kept as unique, we have an unknown amount of citizens from the mutagen bomb facing the same exact issue.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

This is cool, but given IDW's penchant for looking at previous publication, I'm surprised that they didn't go with an oversized one-shot to sort of indoctrinate the character into the legacy of doing Turtle-specific one-shots.

It's not a make or break by any means, but I just think it would've been a neat way to mate-up with previous books like it.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #8
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
This is cool, but given IDW's penchant for looking at previous publication, I'm surprised that they didn't go with an oversized one-shot to sort of indoctrinate the character into the legacy of doing Turtle-specific one-shots.

It's not a make or break by any means, but I just think it would've been a neat way to mate-up with previous books like it.
Well a three issue mini-series would equate roughly to same amount of pages each of the four turtles got across their micro and macro issues (one single issue and one double issue). But I guess that's kinda pedantic
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

I get the feeling most of 2020 will focus on Jennika in a major way. We can already tell issue 101+ focuses on her and her friendship with Mona Lisa, and now this 3-issue mini.

Could be interesting, but then again it runs dangerously close to a "Poochy" type scenario from The Simpsons, or the Scrappy Doo, of the franchise. Hopefully they can avoid those pitfalls and justify a 5th mutant turtle.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #10
Igglet

This is dope. She really needs the development.

On a related note, I think mutating her in #96 was a terrible choice tbh. I get why they did it, but it probably should have waited for #100, or even #98. When you introduce a new TMNT, that requires you to put them into the spotlight for the foreseeable future, but honestly, since her mutation, Jennika's part in the arc has been very minor. This doesn't mean she's doomed to be meh for all eternity, I just think her "introduction" was really weak.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
This is dope. She really needs the development.

On a related note, I think mutating her in #96 was a terrible choice tbh. I get why they did it, but it probably should have waited for #100, or even #98. When you introduce a new TMNT, that requires you to put them into the spotlight for the foreseeable future, but honestly, since her mutation, Jennika's part in the arc has been very minor. This doesn't mean she's doomed to be meh for all eternity, I just think her "introduction" was really weak.
I tend to agree. But the mutation is the most interesting thing that's happened yet with Jennika, so I don't mind. Jennika was pretty boring as a human... hopefully the mutation fixes that.

Jennika's mutation feels like Donatello's resurrection in "Vengeance"... really rushed amidst the big conflict that was supposed to be the focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I get the feeling most of 2020 will focus on Jennika in a major way. We can already tell issue 101+ focuses on her and her friendship with Mona Lisa, and now this 3-issue mini.

Could be interesting, but then again it runs dangerously close to a "Poochy" type scenario from The Simpsons, or the Scrappy Doo, of the franchise. Hopefully they can avoid those pitfalls and justify a 5th mutant turtle.
I'd rather she get a solo side series than take all of the focus in the next few story arcs. I think this is going to serve the story well...
Old 11-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #12
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm just glad we're getting more mini's, the narrative really slows to crawl when we only get 12 issues a year.
Yeah it’s good there’s a secondary book. There’s too many stories and characters for just 1 monthly book. I also expect Sophie is going to do her own thing and a lot of Tom’s story threads are going to be set aside for a while. Null in 2021/22 is my guess.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #13
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
Null in 2021/22 is my guess.
I don't know about that, if anything Null can easily be directly tied to Mutant Town and Hob's role going forward.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #14
daggio
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I don't know about that, if anything Null can easily be directly tied to Mutant Town and Hob's role going forward.
And maybe Leatherhead will act as an enforcer or something.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Baxter Stockman is stuck supporting mutants despite initially thinking the five turtles and Splinter were his possessions with the blackmail puppeting his mayoral position and the fact the people that got him into office were the ones mutated by Hob. Perhaps if Baxter is able to turn the tables on April and break from his forced position that would come eventually and end his time as mayor.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #16
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
When shareholders are publically calling for sale of a company, I'd place bets that I am right. When Jennika disappears in a time warp, or an alternate dimension, or is kiiled off, or joins the Muteanimals, or is spun off for her own solo adventure, you'll have to contend, STUNT. She will not remain, the addition is transient, to boost sales, nothing more.

I'd also add this isn't what most people would consider to be good writing. Sensationalism, is just that, and should be acknowledged and treated as such.
Quote:
Nice to see 2020 kicking off with a new mini
Funny how the future comes to pass just as I said.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #17
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Funny how the future comes to pass just as I said.
Oh, come on... Out of all your doom-and-gloom predictions, that one's the least significant and the least surprising. Pretty much everyone - including Casey and April, Shredder, Karai, Krang, and Bebop and Rocksteady (twice!) - have been given their own minis or solo adventures under IDW. Jennika is supposed to be an important character like the others I just mentioned, so of course she'd get one too.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #18
daggio
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Baxter Stockman is stuck supporting mutants despite initially thinking the five turtles and Splinter were his possessions with the blackmail puppeting his mayoral position and the fact the people that got him into office were the ones mutated by Hob. Perhaps if Baxter is able to turn the tables on April and break from his forced position that would come eventually and end his time as mayor.
Judging by the scenes from 98 and one back some time ago, I'm starting to think that maybe Baxter and April might start a romantic relationship eventually. It's crazy but it might happen. Plus, in the Don Macro, theres that one splash page when Donnie puts the helmet on and he sees various possible futures. One of them is a shadowy figure (probably Baxter) sitting at a table with American flags on it flanked by Foot Ninja. If that is Baxter, maybe hes gonna hire the Foot as his security (a la the Utroms in Mirage vol 4) to protect him from what's going down in the city. But I doubt Baxter is going anywhere soon. He will probably be mayor for the foreseeable future.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #19
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Oh, come on... Out of all your doom-and-gloom predictions, that one's the least significant and the least surprising. Pretty much everyone - including Casey and April, Shredder, Karai, Krang, and Bebop and Rocksteady (twice!) - have been given their own minis or solo adventures under IDW. Jennika is supposed to be an important character like the others I just mentioned, so of course she'd get one too.
She’s riding the wave of “feminist appeal” or dare I say femsploitation.
Will. Not. Last.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #20
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
She’s riding the wave of “feminist appeal” or dare I say femsploitation.
Will. Not. Last.
Piss off, incel.

Tags
soylent green is people!