The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you believe in reincarnation?
Yes, I do. 3 15.79%
No, I don't. 7 36.84%
I'm open to the idea of it. 9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #21
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Yeah, but we're assuming reincarnation is off the table.
So that means all souls were created at once, and they all exist now, but just aren't here. And that after they're here they're sorted either to The Good Place or The Bad Place.

And then...
I guess it would be troublesome to pinpoint an exact point in time when the soul was created since the soul is said to be a non physical entity in the Abrahamic faiths and non-physical "things" are theoretically not bound by the physical laws of time, so you would be right to say they were all "created at once" and exist now.

And as for then, I believe both places are eternal so yeah....
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #22
newfan
Mad Scientist

This could go on forever seen as no-one actually knows for sure so a lot of speculation.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #23
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yeah, but we're assuming reincarnation is off the table.
So that means all souls were created at once, and they all exist now, but just aren't here. And that after they're here they're sorted either to The Good Place or The Bad Place.

And then...
Is there a third option between reincarnation being off the table and all souls being created at once?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #24
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Is there a third option between reincarnation being off the table and all souls being created at once?
I don't see why not!
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Could reincarnated souls that have been to Heaven and chose reincarnation, reincarnate and be bad enough to go to Hell their second time around?

If so, invariably, all souls would EVENTUALLY all end up in Hell or infinitely content in Heaven. If reincarnation was mandatory and souls could be bad in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, whatever go-around, then all souls would statistically ALL end up in Hell for sure.

Right?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:23 PM   #26
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Could reincarnated souls that have been to Heaven and chose reincarnation, reincarnate and be bad enough to go to Hell their second time around?
The question is, would anyone in heaven even ask to be reincarnated? If we go by the definition where heaven is a place of ultimate happiness, I think everyone would be too content to desire re-incarnation.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #27
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
I don't see why not!
Cool because I like options. And only having the two notions of reincarnation or flip side all souls created at once was to limiting for fun. Maybe add in soul created at conception. And a fourth and fifth option if anyone's got 'em.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:37 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
The question is, would anyone in heaven even ask to be reincarnated? If we go by the definition where heaven is a place of ultimate happiness, I think everyone would be too content to desire re-incarnation.
Think, the ending of "What Dreams May Come."
Old 07-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #29
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Think, the ending of "What Dreams May Come."
Haven't seen the film but it certainly sounds interesting.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #30
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
My two cents (and this is coming from someone for whom reincarnation is part of my belief system): first off, reincarnation is not as simple as black and white, though the concept can be explained with the symbol of the Yin-Yang. Life in the physical is the black part, while the soul's stay in the "resting place" between lives is the white part. But the knowledge and experiences gain in life are carried into death, and the memory of the soul's growth is carried into the physical world. Yes, we CAN remember past lives, and that knowledge can be relevant and help us to grow and gain enlightenment in the present life.

Secondly, the spirit CAN choose not to go on again, if it has learned all that it needs to, or simply wishes to remain in the resting place or "Summerland" as it is known in my faith. Once it has been perfected through enough lives and wisdom, it returns to the source, the "Oversoul" or divine essence if you will. New souls are created all the time as well, so there is always one for each individual. This is why some people can remember multiple lives ("old souls") while others are "new souls" on their first or second (or whatever) incarnation. There is not some set number of souls to go around, it waxes and wanes as new ones come into being and old ones complete their cycle of lives and return to the eternal divine spirit. The number of lives it takes varies according to the choices each soul makes in each new life, but those choices and experiences can either advance its growth or hinder or even reverse it if the lessons for that life are not learned (meaning it has to go through similar experiences again in the next incarnation) or the choices made are negative ones.

Third, karma plays a HUGE part in all of this, as each spirit is born into circumstances and traits that are determined by its actions and choices in the previous one. This means that what we do in this life will greatly influence what we become in the next. No, this does not mean being reborn as an animal, although the soul can take an animal-like form during the time between lives depending on their basic nature. In other words, someone whose inner nature is cold, devious and immoral might have a snake-like form in the "afterlife"; seers have sometimes seen newly departed spirits wearing animal skins- this may be where the idea of reincarnating as animals came from.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #31
Prowler
Emperor

No. I'd need to see proof of it to believe in it.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #32
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
It's not something that can be proven objectively, unfortunately. But there is evidence of it in many cultures, and there are plenty of instancesof individuals who can remember places, dates, and names from past lives. I've done a few regressions myself, with interesting results.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #33
plastroncafe

Quote:
Humans are a Fickle species.
If you plant an electrode in the pleasure center of a rat brain and attach that electrode to a switch, the rat will kill itself by constantly stimulating that part of its own brain.

If you do the same thing to a human? Yeah they press the lever for a while, but eventually they get bored.

With that in mind I can easily see some folks in heaven deciding to take another spin around the Earth.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #34
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
If you plant an electrode in the pleasure center of a rat brain and attach that electrode to a switch, the rat will kill itself by constantly stimulating that part of its own brain.

If you do the same thing to a human? Yeah they press the lever for a while, but eventually they get bored.

With that in mind I can easily see some folks in heaven deciding to take another spin around the Earth.
Its a sad thing people do that stuff to rats.

Well, since what you see as heaven/happiness appears to be hedonistic pleasure, I'm not surprised you would think people would want to leave it. Pleasure and the lusts of flesh shall not fufill the soul.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:00 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

Well, there's only so much dopamine, right? Humans know that they're getting diminishing/no returns. Rats just know muscle memory and what worked before... why wouldn't it work again if we keep trying at it?
Old 07-27-2017, 11:11 AM   #36
plastroncafe

Quote:
Its a sad thing people do that stuff to rats.

Well, since what you see as heaven/happiness appears to be hedonistic pleasure, I'm not surprised you would think people would want to leave it. Pleasure and the lusts of flesh shall not fufill the soul.
Goodness, that's an awfully strange conclusion to jump to.
But hey, you do you.
Or...don't do you, as like.

Quote:
Well, there's only so much dopamine, right? Humans know that they're getting diminishing/no returns. Rats just know muscle memory and what worked before... why wouldn't it work again if we keep trying at it?
I don't know that I'd classify this as muscle memory, which speaks more to reflex, than conscious decision.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #37
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I think its possible that there's only one massive "soul", or consciousness, that exists beyond our current understanding of spacetime.

As beings are born into our reality a portion of this oversoul is put into the living creature, so that it can experience what the physical world has to offer. This happens countless times, over and over, until the soul has experienced life from every living thing's point of view.

Because the oversoul is beyond space and time, it can be in all living beings simultaneously, all beings that have ever lived, and all beings that will ever live. This is the meaning behind the phrase "namaste", which can be translated as "the divinity in me recognizes the divinity in you".

See also "The Egg" by Andy Weir (although there is an additional bit of speculation about what the point of all this could be)
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #38
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:

I'm not trying to poopoo on your beliefs and I'm as open minded to interpretation as anyone, but I think you're misunderstanding what Heaven is. It's not some nice neighborhood where people might get bored because nothing happens; it's the ultimate paradise. It's true happiness, to the point of it being beyond earthly understanding. No one is gonna wanna leave.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #39
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I'm not trying to poopoo on your beliefs and I'm as open minded to interpretation as anyone, but I think you're misunderstanding what Heaven is. It's not some nice neighborhood where people might get bored because nothing happens; it's the ultimate paradise. It's true happiness, to the point of it being beyond earthly understanding. No one is gonna wanna leave.
Bingo, I couldn't have said it better.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #40
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Here's a quote about reincarnation by Rodney Trotter from the tv show Only Fools and Horses.

Rodney: I’ve got this horrible feeling that if there is such a thing as reincarnation, knowing my luck I’ll come back as me!
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed thinks deep, reincucknation