The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #15361
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Well, WWE did it.

They got entire crowds behind John Cena.

It only took pitting him against Roman Reigns. You know, the guy who was supposed to replace him, that crowds hate even more than John Cena.

It's almost poetic.

By the way, it's kind of amazing the novelty hasn't worn off on Braun vs Big Show and that every match has been great. Those two really do work well together. Thankfully they haven't gone overboard with it either, spacing them out so they don't get tired. Big departure from their usual "Dolph Ziggler fights Kofi Kingston for seven weeks before moving onto fighting the Miz for seven straight weeks" booking of feuds.

Quote:
Sexy Star is full of Sexy crap She did it and is trying to spin the story.
Yeah, she already gave an initial statement and it was a total non apology. It didn't work and only made things worse. So now she's playing victim. It's... it's frankly kind of disgusting, because she's using awful, terrible things that happened to her as a shield for criticism when she deliberately hurt someone.

The video doesn't lie. I'd heard she was a crap person before, but they were just rumors. Seeing is believing. Unfortunately for her, a lot of people saw.

Last edited by dl316bh; 09-05-2017 at 02:13 AM.
dl316bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #15362
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I agree about Corey Graves. He's very good and if he's going to be on SD as a commentator, that's good and I'm sure he can do it.

Yep, that segment last night was great and proved that Cena is way better at promos than Roman will ever be. Too bad this feud is just a one time thing.

Dean and Seth were awesome on commentary. Loved it.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #15363
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #15364
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Superstars won't be taking time off for the holidays, WWE have announced RAW will air live on Christmas and New Year's Day, and Smackdown will be live the day after each also

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/20...-new-years-day
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:00 AM   #15365
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Apparently the network wanted this and not WWE.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #15366
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Ahh, the Patriot. I feel like barely anyone remembers him anymore. Which is why they got away with giving his music to Kurt Angle. Hell, I was watching diligently at the time and I barely recall his stint, aside from a segment or two and a Raw Magazine cover.

The rise in popularity of Stone Cold Steve Austin and his war against the Hart Foundation really overshadowed anyone else involved, barring Shawn Michaels and the formation of DX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Yep, that segment last night was great and proved that Cena is way better at promos than Roman will ever be. Too bad this feud is just a one time thing.
Roman can probably keep improving until he can cut some decent promos - he does alright now, especially compared to when the Shield first dissolved - but he's never going to be Cena, yeah. It's easy to forget Cena initially got over because he could talk. The original rapper gimmick, where he'd drop disses on opponents in the lead up to a match. The man could talk right from the start, it's just that they kind of buried his charisma under whatever goofiness they wanted.

Roman kind of needs a talker. That's why the inevitable Shield reunion would work well for him. We'll see if a Shield reunion could help his image too. I'm not even sure anymore, given how much the crowds abhor him. I mean, the guy is dropping a ton of smark talking points about Cena and the crowds are completely ignoring him in favor of cheering John and his comments about the hand picked golden boy.

Anyway, I wasn't wild about the confrontation last night. It kind of broke down into the usual standbys of which dudes balls were bigger.

Quote:
Apparently the network wanted this and not WWE.
The network is silly, then. What are the odds anyone cares about watching much of anything on Christmas or New Years Day? I mean, I will, because I have nothing going on, but most people? Probably worn out from parties or spending time with their families. I can't imagine the ratings being too great.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #15367
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yeah, it's a shame they want to do this when they could let them spend time with their families as they have every other year. Ah, well, I'll probably watch them because we usually do the gathering on Christmas Eve. Oh, wait, I forgot that the Doctor Who special might be on that night. Never mind.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #15368
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Jeff Jarrett Taking Indefinite Leave of Absence From GFW

Old 09-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #15369
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Well then. That's pretty sudden. And not too long after the whole rebrand to begin with. It's been what, two months?

Is this more LOLTNA or did something ugly happen in Jarrets personal life, I wonder.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #15370
The Deadman
Foot Elite

A little bit of both
https://411mania.com/wrestling/lates...-not-gfw-name/

Old 09-05-2017, 11:28 PM   #15371
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Geez, only four matches on Smackdown tonight.

Hopefully Nak takes the strap at Hell in a Cell, but it could easily just be another deal where the Singhs get in somehow and they do the one Jinder Mahal finish they know. I think that's the thing that honestly bugs me about Mahals WWE title run, other than the fact that the matches are just not great. Every one seems to go with the distraction finish. They don't even mix if up. Either way, they can't really afford to screw around with Nakamura, or they'll dull his luster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
I don't think Anthem realizes that rapid changes in management, creative teams and so on were some of the companys many problems back when they were still TNA. But then again, I'm not even sure they understand what they bought to begin with.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:25 AM   #15372
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Jarret's been buckling it appears...hard not to see why. The last ten years have been a rollercoaster for him.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #15373
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Now it is rumoured that Anthem may want out of the Pro Wrestling industry altogether and want to sell GFW. Anthem is said to be "haemorrhaging funds" and had to "gut" the Fight Network to pay off the GFW budget.

http://www.sescoops.com/report-globa...hem-wants-out/

Also, Big Show's steel cage with Brauwn may have been to write him off tv while he undergoes hip surgery

https://www.sescoops.com/big-show-re...g-hip-surgery/

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 09-06-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #15374
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Now it is rumoured that Anthem may want out of the Pro Wrestling industry altogether and want to sell GFW. Anthem is said to be "haemorrhaging funds" and had to "gut" the Fight Network to pay off the GFW budget.

http://www.sescoops.com/report-globa...hem-wants-out/

/[/url]
I call FAKE NEWS on that article. There have been way to many WWE is gonna buy GFW or anti-GFW articles out there that are never true. Also if they were hemorrhaging why would they bring in The Christ Bros Taya Valkyrie Johnny Impact and Jim Cornette.

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 09-06-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #15375
The Deadman
Foot Elite

The part about Anthem wanting out of the wrestling business may be a tad off but TNA/GFW and their history of money issues has been going on for years now. If it's even remotely true that Anthem wants to sell them off, it may be the end of GFW for good this time.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #15376
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
I call FAKE NEWS on that article. There have been way to many WWE is gonna buy GFW or anti-GFW articles out there that are never true. Also if they were hemorrhaging why would they bring in The Christ Bros Taya Valkyrie Johnny Impact and Jim Cornette.

https://i.imgur.com/yRgIWiM.jpg
According to what I've read the whole TNA/GFW "merger" was nowhere near final and Jarrett if he so chooses can walk away with GFW. How much of that is true I don't know.
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #15377
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Its just the yearly TNA is going out of business BS article. There is one every year. Kind of Ironic this article comes out after they have signed 4 new stars as I mentioned already. They are starting a Global Force Network on Mobile and internet. Also they renewed there deal with PopTV.

I never believe any of these stupid articles
Old 09-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #15378
The Deadman
Foot Elite

They can still make business decisions while losing money, lol. Plus the people theyre bringing probably arent under guaranteed contracts anyway, and one of those new talents is under a talent exchange with AAA.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #15379
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Its just the yearly TNA is going out of business BS article. There is one every year. Kind of Ironic this article comes out after they have signed 4 new stars as I mentioned already. They are starting a Global Force Network on Mobile and internet. Also they renewed there deal with PopTV.
That means nothing. WCW was still developing fresh talent until the end, as well as signing veteran performers for nostalgia runs and putting out video games.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #15380
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:

https://i.imgur.com/yRgIWiM.jpg
You don't remember WCW, do you? They had huge, ridiculous guarantees for all kinds of big stars and absolutely threw money around. For a solid two years, they were the highest rated wrestling program, with the most viewers and interest prior to the rise of Stone Cold. They didn't make a dime even at their peak because of those big money contracts. They still kept bringing people in. WCW survived at the mercy of Ted Turners bank account and once he lost a bit of control it was over, because all the other suits didn't like losing money on a wrestling program.

As for the new people, I haven't listened to Jim Cornette talk about going back quite yet, but every time he's been roped in before, it was by Jeff Jarret and it's usually when Jarret lost control that things went south, so I'm not even sure that will last all that long. Johnny Mundo is part of the AAA talent exchange. Taya's kinda unknown outside of anyone who has watched Lucha Underground, so that's probably not a big money deal.

Plus, plenty of companies spend money to make more money later. It's when it becomes clear that later money isn't coming that there's an issue.

Quote:
Let's not kid ourselves, they came close several times because they haven't made a dime since the early years. If Anthem never bailed them out and the stuff with Billy Corgan fell through, this last one was going to be it. They were that far in debt and having tax issues, with about four separate lawsuits bearing down on them and more joining all the time. Anthem saved their ass, a move that had a lot of insiders laughing because they didn't seem to realize what they were getting into.

Also, no one really watches Pop TV - which I'd remind folks used to be the TV Guide channel, which even fewer people watched - as partly evidenced by the pretty yuck ratings GFW has been getting.

All that said, I don't necessarily believe Anthem might be already looking for an out or anything. Hell, I wouldn't want them to go out of business, even if I'm not a fan. Wrestling needs a number two, even if it's one that constantly struggles. ROH is the next in line to maybe be that, but they've never really had the success with getting a television deal or as much exposure.

Tags
armbar#, silverdome brother, wrestling