The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #221
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Oh goody, more comedic based series?

Honestly though, like others I cannot judge based on the minimal details. I'd need artwork or a preview to fully judge it.

Also, while I'm happy Viacom isn't going to let the franchise's license be sat on and left in limbo, I just don't understand why TMNT is primarily marketed for children. Obviously for newer generations to attach onto the franchise, but it gets rather repetitious of the same mentality. Of course, parts of this particular incarnation and others have darker elements, but it never seems TMNT can be taken seriously. That's subjective though, but I really wish there could be more experimentation.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #222
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Is this restart in response to the deaths? Why not just revive them in-story and light up the tone? Seems a more cohesive approach.
It's a combination of the Nick cartoon running its course, Ciro got the 5 seasons he wanted to make, the sense of darkness and on-screen deaths have gotten the business execs spooked, and the business execs probably want to rebrand with a new TMNT series for the next wave of kids and ratings.

One good thing though is it proves Viacom still sees value in the TMNT property. It's not like they're killing it off to just sit on it and lock it away in some vault or something.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #223
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

I am glad they're holding onto the property rather than forgetting about it forever in the magic vault of Viacom franchises, and it does make sense if they go for a more TTG style, but it just pains me to see TMNT fall in line with whatever's the most trending thing. I expect this kind of thing from Nickelodeon, sure, but it's sad that I now have to expect the same from TMNT.

HOWEVER, given the art and Powder's post on the creator I am willing to give it a chance. But I can't help but see a lot of executive meddling on a show going in that kind of direction.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #224
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's a combination of the Nick cartoon running its course, Ciro got the 5 seasons he wanted to make, the sense of darkness and on-screen deaths have gotten the business execs spooked, and the business execs probably want to rebrand with a new TMNT series for the next wave of kids and ratings.

One good thing though is it proves Viacom still sees value in the TMNT property. It's not like they're killing it off to just sit on it and lock it away in some vault or something.
and they still see it as a Kids property, so chances are we won't see a TMNT series with dark elements for a while, since the new series will be aimed at a younger audience.

Which makes you wonder if that's the direction TMNT is going in the foreseeable future?

And the comics will be the only place to see the dark elements.

And your right, The Nick execs might have been nervous, with how this series managed to get away with some of the violence in a Sunday morning time slot.

The series showed Splinter getting stabbed twice, at the end of Season 3, and then near the end of Season 4, This show didn't shy away from showing Splinter getting impaled by those blades, which was pretty brutal even if there was no blood, or when TigerClaw lost his hand.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 03-03-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #225
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

the fact of the matter is

Like it or not this is the breath of fresh air TMNT needed. Nobodys interested in the 2012 series. It's clear what they're doing right now isn't working. They're trying to revitalize the franchise, and i hope this works and becomes successful (and is actually good).
Old 03-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #226
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefanforever View Post
Nobodys interested in the 2012 series. It's clear what they're doing right now isn't working. T
Go away, troll.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #227
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Finally a TMNT that's not for me! I'm already going to be past 40 by the time this comes out, and unlike Batman and The Avengers, it's hard not to discuss the show we already have since everyone just considers it a kid's show. At least where I live, everyone knows about Batman and looks forward to seeing Logan in theaters... but nobody watches TMNT. Their kids do. So now a show that will be even lighter and even more kid-friendly? Here's my stop. This is where I get off folks.

I just hope the IDW series completely ignores this and continues, providing they have enough stories to go beyond 2018.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 03-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #228
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
Oh, right, because rebooting it with another show the year the other show ends won't saturate sh*t.

bingo.

it's like someone said 'this new show isn't making as big an impact that we where hoping.. what can we do?'

'lets cancel it, and give them something light hearted this time. that's bound to win them over!'

i don't mind the idea behind teen titans go. it can work. but something like that isn't what i'd want for a regular tmnt property.

i need something with a little more thought and or fun put into it.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:57 PM   #229
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Finally a TMNT that's not for me! I'm already going to be past 40 by the time this comes out, and unlike Batman and The Avengers, it's hard not to discuss the show we already have since everyone just considers it a kid's show. At least where I live, everyone knows about Batman and looks forward to seeing Logan in theaters... but nobody watches TMNT. Their kids do. So now a show that will be even lighter and even more kid-friendly? Here's my stop. This is where I get off folks.

I just hope the IDW series completely ignores this and continues, providing they have enough stories to go beyond 2018.

i think i finally got off the stop with this show. to me, it just shows nick doesn't know what it wants. and the movies proved it didn't know what the hell to do with the property or what it's fans wanted from it. or even bothered to try and find a right mixture of what the majority of fans wanted.

with this one, they just through a bunch of darts at the board and hope one stuck, and imho none really did. or they didn't stay with it long enough to make it work.

launching a new series so soon just kind of seems like they don't know what to do with tmnt to begin with.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #230
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Maybe the Nick execs were concerned that the series was attracting older viewers instead of the Kids, So in order to fix that, they make a show that caters more to kids then adults.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #231
Vegita-San
Emperor

i can buy that.

about as bad as cartoon network cancelling young justice cause it drew in too many women viewers.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #232
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
i can buy that.

about as bad as cartoon network cancelling young justice cause it drew in too many women viewers.
I already thought the execs didn't want too much animation in general, but this?
Old 03-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #233
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
i can buy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I already thought the execs didn't want too much animation in general, but this?
It's true, Paul Dini talked about this on a Kevin Smith podcast years ago.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/paul-dini-sup...y-f-1483758317

This conversation starts at the 40:12 mark.

I can totally see Nickelodeon trying to change the demographic by creating a show for younger viewers.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 03-03-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #234
sdp
-

It's not as simple as "OMG CARTOON NETWORK HATES WOMEN", it's just marketing, if a show gets a lot of viewers but the channel can't sell advertisement to that demographic and the licensed products are not selling then there is no money to be made on the show so it's cancelled, that's what happened to Young Justice. No money, no show. That simple.

The Nick show had falling ratings and lower toy sales so this decision was made. We've seen absolutely nothing and likely won't until SDCC at the earliest and likely only a poster at best. Until then we have no idea what this show is about since the info released is full of PR buzzwords that don't necessarily reflect the final product. Remember how the Nick show kept getting promoted as "Mirage inspired" in early descriptions and interviews?

2018 will have a new TMNT show and a new Jurassic Park movie, so I'm pretty excited for next year already.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #235
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It's not as simple as "OMG CARTOON NETWORK HATES WOMEN", it's just marketing, if a show gets a lot of viewers but the channel can't sell advertisement to that demographic and the licensed products are not selling then there is no money to be made on the show so it's cancelled, that's what happened to Young Justice. No money, no show. That simple.

The Nick show had falling ratings and lower toy sales so this decision was made. We've seen absolutely nothing and likely won't until SDCC at the earliest and likely only a poster at best. Until then we have no idea what this show is about since the info released is full of PR buzzwords that don't necessarily reflect the final product. Remember how the Nick show kept getting promoted as "Mirage inspired" in early descriptions and interviews?

2018 will have a new TMNT show and a new Jurassic Park movie, so I'm pretty excited for next year already.
And the show being Mirage inspired wasn't working out for them, so what they do? Is make a show that's probably gonna be Fred Wolf inspired, But even that show wasn't catering to younger viewers since it was all ages.

when the Nick show first started, it initially didn't have any Fred Wolf characters, until they added Bebop and Rocksteady, After that they started adding more Fred Wolf characters.

So whatever this new show is gonna be, its gonna be lighter in tone and missing all the drama from the 2012 series, Its all just gonna be fun and games, It's probably gonna be something like Super Hero Squad, Teen Titans Go, and Half Shell Heroes.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 03-03-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #236
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

i'm not a troll. i speak the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Go away, troll.
I refuse to engage in conversation with someone who takes their life advice from a magic 8 ball with a picture of melissa benoist taped to it. You were a fun gimmick for a while but then you started to take yourself seriously and now you're just annoying.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:24 PM   #237
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefanforever View Post
I refuse to engage in conversation with someone who takes their life advice from a magic 8 ball with a picture of melissa benoist taped to it. You were a fun gimmick for a while but then you started to take yourself seriously and now you're just annoying.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #238
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
when the Nick show first started, it initially didn't have any Fred Wolf characters, until they added Bebop and Rocksteady, After that they started adding more Fred Wolf characters.
There were many characters from the 87 series before Bebop and Rocksteady. Metalhead, Punk Frogs, Traag and Granitor, Slash, Pete (kinda), Chrome Dome, Mutagen Man, "Irma"... these are just a few from the top of my head.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:37 PM   #239
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
You're not wrong, there is more to it than just misogyny.
It's a perfect storm of both misogyny and a whole bunch of people being crap at their jobs.

Marketers that can't sell dolls to little girls, are crap marketers.
Marketers that don't take advantage of a surprise audience by making superhero clothing in their sizes, are crap marketers.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #240
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I'm already going to be past 40 by the time this comes out,.
You're going to be over 40 by 2018...next year? Man, you're a lot older than I thought you were.
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters