The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They have to make at least 6 movies with the new Trek cast.
That again. No, they don't. TNG cast didn't get 6 movies and the TNG cast deserved 6 movies way more than Abrams' buddies.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #42
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That again. No, they don't. TNG cast didn't get 6 movies and the TNG cast deserved 6 movies way more than Abrams' buddies.
Word. .
Old 04-26-2018, 07:21 PM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I missed that article... so the studio mandated this movie have a female director, just because female director? Mr. Fast and Furious director didn't make their last Abramsverse movie money, so let's try riding the wave of the latest movement and see if that does any better?

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Transparently dumb. And desperate.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:11 AM   #44
newfan
Mad Scientist

Unpopular opinion but I would happily go and see a 4th, I like these guys. I didn't like what they did with the timeline, taking out most of vulcans (because I like the vulcans) but otherwise I've enjoyed them.

As for the female director, while I get that they would like to give a female a chance, it shouldn't be a must (if it is?) excluding anyone who could do a good job with this.

Last edited by newfan; 04-27-2018 at 12:50 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:22 AM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
As for the female director, while I get that they would like to give a female a chance, it shouldn't be a must (if it is?)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...trek-4-1106180

"a mandate that comes from the top"
Old 04-27-2018, 02:06 AM   #46
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...trek-4-1106180

"a mandate that comes from the top"
Ugh, I would like to think they could just pick whoever comes across as capable, giving everyone a fair chance and still putting the movie first. Don't get me wrong, I do realise there has been an inequality here in the first place but is there not a better way to address this than making an outright statement of 'has to be a woman' . Also, thinking of whoever gets the role, she'll know that they had to have a female.

Last edited by newfan; 04-27-2018 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:03 AM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Ugh, I would like to think they could just pick whoever comes across as capable, giving everyone a fair chance and still putting the movie first. Don't get me wrong, I do realise there has been an inequality here in the first place but is there not a better way to address this than making an outright statement of 'has to be a woman' . Also, thinking of whoever gets the role, she'll know that they had to have a female.
The idea now is to try and make Star Trek 4 an "important movie." Like "A Wrinkle in Time" tried to. Because now they get to ride a bunch of press about how progressive they are and be critic proof.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-27-2018 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #48
newfan
Mad Scientist

SJ Clarkson chosen for Director. Also, they are talking plans for Chris Hemsworth again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8326371.html
Old 04-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
SJ Clarkson chosen for Director. Also, they are talking plans for Chris Hemsworth again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8326371.html
They're just citing the old plan for Hemsworth mentioned before Beyond came out. There hasn't been any new article I've read that cites anything of the plot since they've revived Star Trek 4 with this new director. Could be anything.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:55 PM   #50
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
They're just citing the old plan for Hemsworth mentioned before Beyond came out. There hasn't been any new article I've read that cites anything of the plot since they've revived Star Trek 4 with this new director. Could be anything.
Need to read more carefully, still early yet, I did read that the cast are no-longer in contract with paramount also but contracts can be renewed if people want it.

Last edited by newfan; 04-29-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:32 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Need to read more carefully, still early yet, I did read that the cast are no-longer in contract with paramount also but contracts can be renewed if people want it.
The contracts thing is meaningless. Even if they were still under contract, that only means that Paramount could force them to participate, not that they would have to. And the only member of the cast who is even going to be kind of busy is Saldana, filming 20 Avatar movies back to back now with a Guardians 3 (maybe) in the mix as well. Paramount played and won the long game... all of their leading acting careers failed and guys like Pine and Quinto should be way cheaper now than they would have around Into Darkness.

They'll all come back.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:54 PM   #52
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The contracts thing is meaningless. Even if they were still under contract, that only means that Paramount could force them to participate, not that they would have to. And the only member of the cast who is even going to be kind of busy is Saldana, filming 20 Avatar movies back to back now with a Guardians 3 (maybe) in the mix as well. Paramount played and won the long game... all of their leading acting careers failed and guys like Pine and Quinto should be way cheaper now than they would have around Into Darkness.

They'll all come back.
Pine is cheaper now? Oh. I mean I know he didn't become a massive Star but he's popped up in a few movies.

By the way that last post I meant as I need to read more carefully, just in case it looked liked I meant you
Old 04-29-2018, 11:59 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Pine is cheaper now? Oh. I mean I know he didn't become a massive Star but he's popped up in a few movies.
His leading man days have been done for a minute. He last turn in "Jack Ryan" was a big failure... all he's really got left at this point is Star Trek, and Wonder Woman if they decide to find a way to resurrect him.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

Chris Pine has been in ton of hit movies up to Wonder Woman:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celeb...istopher_pine/

I've seen most of them too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #55
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I don't agree that Pine is in a decline; the nuTrek movies might be crap (and they are), but they're pretty star-studded.

But this whole idea of a fourth movie is laughable. They tried to make Trek a cool blockbuster franchise, and it didn't happen. Move on.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #56
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I don't agree that Pine is in a decline; the nuTrek movies might be crap (and they are), but they're pretty star-studded.

But this whole idea of a fourth movie is laughable. They tried to make Trek a cool blockbuster franchise, and it didn't happen. Move on.
This just makes me sad, because I love the cast and really loved that third movie. More of that is something I'd be very interested in.

It's just a shame that the only people responsible for making the first two who did their jobs were the casting department.
Well...aside from that whole thing with Cumberbatch.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Chris Pine and Hemsworth (he was even still involved in this? huh) both walked away because of bad salary negotiations.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/pine-hem...t-star-trek-4/
Old 08-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #58
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Chris Pine and Hemsworth (he was even still involved in this? huh) both walked away because of bad salary negotiations.

That's not good. Either they will get recast or... They go along with Tarentino's Star Trek movie?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
That's not good. Either they will get recast or... They go along with Tarentino's Star Trek movie?
They already are going with Tarantino's movie... but the ball is in Quentin's court as to when that gets off the ground. If Abramsverse #4 falls apart, that means it won't be immediately in the way when Abrams is completely done with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Assuming Quentin wants to jump right into it and not take a little breather.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-10-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #60
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:

Tags
discuckery and pukard