The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Depression

Anyone feel like sharing how they suffered through depression and survived?
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
pennydreadful
trash

I'm still working on my first coffee of the morning so not up for a proper post regarding this, but if you're having a hard time with depression and want advice (or just to vent), there's a number of peeps in the After Dark section who have mental illnesses (myself included) and talk about stuff there. You can hit Leo656 up for an invite if you like.

If you're really going through the sh*ts and you need someone to talk to, you're also welcome to PM me. Honestly, that goes for anyone on these boards - even the people I'm not friendly with. Depression is the great equalizer - even if I think someone here is a complete wad (or does a really good imitation of one), I've got enough compassion to still give them a few hours out of my day to just listen to them, if it meant they wouldn't kill themselves. Petty differences aside, we're all people.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I've elected not to join the After Dark group, because I find that I'm crap at helping other depressives. Cards on the table: I find dealing with depressives to be triggering, so...please keep this in mind should I just suddenly NOT respond anymore.

(ie: don't take it personally.)

I've yet to "suffer through" depression, because for me it's not something that has an endpoint so much as it is a wave with various crests and troughs.
I survive by means of talk/cognitive therapy, and just generally being fed up with my own sh!t.
(seriously, the only thing worse than having depression, is KNOWING you have depression...because then when it feels like the world is made of nothing but SUCK, there's one tiny, rational part of your brain that'll say: this is all in your head.)

What works best for me is stability, so because of that I try to keep to a schedule. I make all kinds of lists, even track my sleep and activities on an RPG style To Do app on my phone. I try to keep moving, and make sure to go easy on myself should things not quite go according to plan.

Jogging helped. Cycling is great. Daily yoga. I used to box.

Knowing your trigger points is also helpful.
For instance, winter is usually worse for me. It's the great combination of less sunlight and more interactions with my family that does it. So in the winter I take Vitamin D supplements, and practice mindful breathing more.

Unfortunately your mileage is going to vary, and everything I've just said could mean absolute bupkiss for you. Just keep trying something until you find a formula that works for you. And then be kind when it doesn't work quite as well as it used to...because, that'll happen sometimes too.

Just don't give up.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Cognitive therapy works for me. If you can get into the habit, the longer you stick to it the easier life seems to get. I was a total mess in my late teens and 20s, but the ability to contextualize events in my day to day life has made me more confident that I can deal with stuff as it comes. Confidence helps me relax and I think that makes me happier.

Exercise really does help too, but it's important to have other strategies, otherwise getting sick or injured will make you miserable.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Leo's group is called the Despair Faction, not After Dark -- that's Penny's NSFW group. Pretty sure the DF is what you want, but AD has a lot of overlap so you can go there too.

I am terrible at helping other people with depression. I've had it since puberty and it's probably never going away. Just a fact of life. I'm on antidepressants now but I'm still in that awkward waiting-for-them-to-work period.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #6
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

Exercise always helps me feel better, more energized, and less anxious. Eating better helps too. There's actually a good amount of research (not articles from Huffpost, peer-reviewed research articles), to show that exercise is the most effective treatment for depression due to it being cheap, low side-effect, and providing almost immediate relief. Exercise also doesn't tend to plateau, like most medication regiments do. And it can be modified for almost any body type or condition so the only excuse you can have is that you haven't found the right exercise for you yet (Or don't have the time)
My favorite is just walking outside in green areas. Try finding local hiking or walking trails and just walking around in the woods for a while. It's a really great feeling.

I'm definitely depressed now. I've also never suffered anxiety attacks before so that's a new awful thing for me too. My new job, combined with being a full-time grad student gives me absolutely no free time and I am having a really hard time handling it. I have a ton of pressure on me to get so much done and maintain what needs to get done that I feel like I'm losing my mind. Thankfully, things are starting to calm down now, but I still feel like I never get to do anything for myself anymore. I live with my boyfriend and I have two roommates and I see them maybe once or twice a week for a few hours because we all work and I either have work to catch up on or schoolwork to finish. And I always miss out on parties and hanging out and that's really starting to wear on me. I think if I had the time to work out again, it'd be different. I need to find a gym with wifi so I can just do my homework on a dang treadmill.
Like, it's Saturday, but I've already been up for the past six hours trying to finish homework so that I can finish the work that I wasn't able to finish at work this week so that I have time to study for my test Sunday and maybe get time to see my boyfriend tonight.
I don't know how people do it with kids.
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Last time I felt depressed was over the summer when I split from my girlfriend of 3 years. Exercise, bike riding, reading and writing help.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Never been diagnosed with it, but there's been times in the last few years that I've wondered if I wasn't near it. I was feeling pretty down and apathetic around 2013 and 2014. Fortunately, I seem to have picked up a bit in the last 10-12 months and I hope I continue improving myself.

Find ways to keep yourself occupied and entertained, like a hobby or project, and try to socialize on a daily basis. Don't just alienate yourself from society. That's awful for your well-being.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think a good thing is to always keep busy. I've never been depressed so i don't know what its like, but I always keep busy. There's always stuff you can do, entertainment, etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Leo's group is called the Despair Faction, not After Dark -- that's Penny's NSFW group. Pretty sure the DF is what you want, but AD has a lot of overlap so you can go there too.

I am terrible at helping other people with depression. I've had it since puberty and it's probably never going away. Just a fact of life. I'm on antidepressants now but I'm still in that awkward waiting-for-them-to-work period.
Sh*t, that's what I get for posting pre-coffee - thanks dude. I cannot brain first thing in the am!

Other thing to keep in mind is there are different types of depression - so what works for one person isn't going to work for another. Some people don't need meds, some people find exercise helps - it sucks but you've really gotta play around with sh*t and find out what does and doesn't work for you.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #11
Powder
So tired of this place

All you need are cute anime girls, gangster rap, drugs, & pizza.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm bad at giving advice but I wholeheartedly agree that you gotta work out. Mostly because you gotta be doing that sh*t anyway and the endorphin kick is just a sweet little bonus. I'unno about pussy sh*t like running, though. Heavy weights, cardio kickboxing/MMA, even aggressive yoga, all work great for blowing off steam and literally kicking your own ass.

I feel like a lot of "depression" in all its various forms comes from people having no practical or productive outlet for their excess emotions. "I'm feeling things deeply but there's no convenient way to make use of this energy, so I think I'll just wallow and let it consume me slowly from within." And it's hard to find people to turn to for guidance and counsel, because frankly, nobody really truly cares all that much about anyone else's problems. And sometimes, depending on the situation, other people can accidentally say the wrong thing and make everything worse without even trying.

So yeah; Hit something, you'll feel better. Nobody ever felt WORSE after hitting something, except my brother-in-law that one time, because it was the side of his house. And even in a cast up to his elbow, he insisted it was the right decision because before that he was so angry that shattering his wrist on the bricks totally made him feel a million times better, until the adrenaline wore off and he wished he was dead.

Lift things and hit things. There it is. AND tell your doctor some bullsh*t about how your back hurts so he can give you a script for some'a them Funny Cigarettes. That may in fact be the better advice.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
All you need are cute anime girls, gangster rap, drugs, & pizza.
Drugs will get you another problem...
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #14
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

That really depends on what drugs.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Don't worry. I'm from the future. In about 15 years, everybody gets sacks of grass in the mail with those little sample boxes of Tide detergent, and within about 6 months literally nobody on Earth is an asshole anymore.

So, yeah, buy stock in Doritos.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #16
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

....Leo, I'm very drunk right now and cannot comprehend your post at all.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

That's awesome, keep doing that.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #18
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

God damn it Leo.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #19
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

My advice would be to find someone to talk to about it whether that be a therapist or a loved one. Talking usually helps when it comes to this stuff. I don't believe in giving drugs to help cure depression because, more often than not, the drugs have side effects and other things that are a pain and would probably prolong depression rather than cure it. Therapy would be the best way to help if it's a severe depression. If it's mild, I'd say do something to keep you busy so you don't think about it.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #20
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm bad at giving advice but I wholeheartedly agree that you gotta work out. Mostly because you gotta be doing that sh*t anyway and the endorphin kick is just a sweet little bonus. I'unno about pussy sh*t like running, though. Heavy weights, cardio kickboxing/MMA, even aggressive yoga, all work great for blowing off steam and literally kicking your own ass.
Running is awesome you dick
Great for your lungs and cardiovascular health. But I do agree sometimes hitting things makes me feel glorious. Probably why I enjoy sparring so much. (Getting hit helps sometimes too, but I try avoiding it for the most part, I aint Rocky Balboa...)