The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What is YOUR level of enthusiasm for the upcoming show?
Hyped about it? 8 9.76%
Cautiously optimistic about it? 53 64.63%
Might let your children watch it? 7 8.54%
Let it die a short or quick death in the fires of hell!? 14 17.07%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2017, 01:06 PM   #141
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's probably going to ease Leo to taking the leader role eventually as the show progresses.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #142
victory_angel
Foot Elite

While Leo is traditionally the oldest brother and the leader that doesn’t mean that has to be the only way to go about it. Having Raph being the biggest big brother, both figuratively and litterally is a new take on the family.

For one it would give him a different perspective on things. In many versions he knows leadership means being responsible for his team mates. Though this more recent version did have Raph equating leadership with having his way all the time and then learning the hard lesson that on missions he has to equate the safety of his brothers as well as the success of the mission itself. But he is also the protector of the group so it would be kind of appropriate to have him learn how to ballance his angry meathead self and being responsible for what happens to his brothers on missions.

The IDW comic has Donatello as the second brother, and while they don’t have the same rivalry that Leo and Raph have, there are points where Donnie does get into heated arguments with Leo about his leadership. So it is possible for the age and between the older three to change up and have promising results.

Donnie as the oldest brother, that could work but he’s not really the leader type. He is a capable leader because he does consider what Leo would do but still does it his own way. But he is more counsel or voice of reason then a leader in itself so the responcibility would for the team would fall to one of his younger brothers who would again be a choice between Leo or Raph. The only way Donnie would work as a leader from the start is if he sought counsel from Leo and or Raph before coming to a decision.

Will they make a version were Mikey is the oldest of the four. I don’t think that would ever work because Mikey just wouldn’t be Mikey with out his childlike innocence. So he’s always going to be the baby brother.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #143
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
Will they make a version were Mikey is the oldest of the four. I don’t think that would ever work because Mikey just wouldn’t be Mikey with out his childlike innocence. So he’s always going to be the baby brother.
Why not... It seems to be okay to possibly screw with Leo and Raph like that.

Hell, lets just screw everyone up and get that harebrained idea out of the way and done with in this incarnation...

If Mikey being the innocent little brother of the family is kind of fundamental to who he is... so too is Leo being the responsible eldest brother.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #144
CyberCubed
Overlord

Raph has always butted heads with Leo over leadership in every series, it's obvious the same will happen here. We're going to see a Leonardo who grows into being a leader for the first time rather than just starting as one by default. We're most likely going to get character development from Raph too, since his hot-headed personality will likely get the team into trouble in a lot of episodes, leading him to step down and realizing Leo is a better fit for the team.

I expect this to be an arc that goes on throughout Season 1. I can see something like Leonardo rising to be the leader by the Season 1 finale. It's going to be a fantastic character arc.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:32 PM   #145
neatoman
Emperor

I did not vote until now because I didn't feel we had received the right kind of information, I think that we have now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paulsen (RP)
They said there’s a new one coming, another 2D version similar to the one you did 25, 30 years ago

Hope is lost, press the abort button, burn all bridges. I do not want this, I do not want any of what this implies. I seriously hope Nick excecs don't know what they mean or say, because this is as far from a good idea I can think of.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:38 PM   #146
Vegita-San
Emperor

that image is not from the new show, is it? ugh.....that would be all fears confirmed.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #147
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
that image is not from the new show, is it? ugh.....that would be all fears confirmed.
I think that was the Raph vs Donnie vid on the nick website..
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #148
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
No it's not, just thought it'd be a decent reaction image.

I just found Paulsen's paraphrasing of the producers to be a bit discomforting. It would imply they want to take yet another crack at making something similar to the Fred Wolf cartoon, like they think it's the only way forward. No new takes, no going back to the (real) roots, not looking in a different place for inspiration and not even cherry picking what worked before. Just focus on the same damn version from a quarter century ago because it was a fad, do it again and again no matter diminishing the returns are.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #149
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

It was said to be more lighthearted ages ago, obviously its gonna be more similar to the FW cartoon.

Is there any source of Rob Paulsen saying that though?

edit: nevermind, i found the podcast

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 12-30-2017 at 07:39 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #150
CyberCubed
Overlord

Going by the show description it's already obvious it's not going to be like any of the old cartoons, so I don't know why people keep thinking that.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:37 PM   #151
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Going by the description, well... we know very little so far, so it's a bit hard to tell to what degree it may or may not be like the old one.

(Love that gif... But what the hell had April been eating?? Barfing purple and stars all over... Whole stars.)
Old 12-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #152
CyberCubed
Overlord

The description says:

1. The Turtles will discover new powers (probably similar to Season 5 of 4kids)

2. Discover a magical world underneath NYC (which sounds...bizarre, but who knows)

3. Fight tons of new mutants (which I guess will be similar to Nick with new mutants appearing every couple of eps)
Old 12-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #153
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The description says:

1. The Turtles will discover new powers (probably similar to Season 5 of 4kids)

2. Discover a magical world underneath NYC (which sounds...bizarre, but who knows)

3. Fight tons of new mutants (which I guess will be similar to Nick with new mutants appearing every couple of eps)
Vicky82 posted a podcast in the 2018 thread in which Rob Paulsen says the show will be more like the old cartoon.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:43 PM   #154
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't see it though, it already sounds too different. Also humor in modern cartoons isn't anything like the 80's.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:44 PM   #155
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well, there was 2003's "Notes from the Underground"...?
Old 12-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #156
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Well, there was 2003's "Notes from the Underground"...?
Yeah, but this sounds more magical/fantasy themed. Like a world of magical beings underneath the city.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #157
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Calling it.

TMNT: Brotherhood is Magic

It's all a setup for the Pony crossover.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #158
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Leonardo writes to Sensei Splinter about the lessons of brotherhood at the end of every episode?

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 12-30-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #159
CyberCubed
Overlord

It will be like this, the ending cutscenes to the first 2k3 videogame from 2003:

Skip to the end to see the Turtles defeat Shredder with their magical powers.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:15 PM   #160
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Leonardo writes to Sensei Splinter about the lessons of brotherhood at the end of every episode?
lol I could see it.