The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #61
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The True Shredder View Post
The human acolytes were there to help the Turtles on their journey. Have you noticed that each human acolyte represent ed each Turtle? They were never going to be relevant to begin with.
Had Season 5 been 26 episodes, the human acolytes would have likely had a far bigger role and been much more fleshed out. Instead of "dying" when the tribunal is destroyed, the human acolytes should have simply jumped through the portal with the Turtles to NYC. Then they could have made 10 episodes (instead of just the one Nano/Justice Force one), showing the human acolytes with the Turtles in NYC and training and going on missions.

We also would have likely gotten another Rat King episode, and probably a few more one-shot comic adaptions in the span before Demon Shredder came back to life leading into the end of the season.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:27 PM   #62
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntpower1988 View Post
I agree Justice League is the best, the first two original seasons anyway. I felt Justice League Unlimited was a bit rushed at times and it didn't have the same epic feeling as the original JL but it was still good though. I won't hold my breath on getting a boxset for the 2k3 series. As much as I'd love for it to happen, I just don't see Nick releasing them for some reason
Yeah, I felt the same about JLU. It was good, but the first two seasons i.e. the original JL consisted of two and three part stories which meant they were able to develop more characters and plotlines. They weren't constrained by time limits. Plus it just felt more epic limiting the team to 7 of the most well known heroes. I like the fact that they chose more women and a black GL as well - as many have said it was a very culturally and racially open team.

I don't think the DVD set will be released soon either, but I was speaking more out of hope than expectation, lol.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #63
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetello View Post
Yeah, I felt the same about JLU. It was good, but the first two seasons i.e. the original JL consisted of two and three part stories which meant they were able to develop more characters and plotlines. They weren't constrained by time limits. Plus it just felt more epic limiting the team to 7 of the most well known heroes. I like the fact that they chose more women and a black GL as well - as many have said it was a very culturally and racially open team.

I don't think the DVD set will be released soon either, but I was speaking more out of hope than expectation, lol.
Also the theme song for the first 2 seasons was amazing One of the best theme songs I've ever heard for a cartoon. The original 7 JL members were the best. There was a sh*t load of members in JLU
tmntpower1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:25 AM   #64
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Also the theme song for the first 2 seasons was amazing One of the best theme songs I've ever heard for a cartoon. The original 7 JL members were the best. There was a sh*t load of members in JLU
Agreed, the original theme was pretty serious in tone - it starts quite slowly and it builds up to being grand and epic.

I couldn't always keep up with who was who in JLU. I like DC, but I'm far from an expert on the more obscure heroes, so often I didn't know anything about the characters.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #65
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Agreed, the original theme was pretty serious in tone - it starts quite slowly and it builds up to being grand and epic.

I couldn't always keep up with who was who in JLU. I like DC, but I'm far from an expert on the more obscure heroes, so often I didn't know anything about the characters.
I didn't really care much for the large amount of heroes in JLU, there was only a handful I liked. Green Arrow was my favourite. Was pissed when they killed off my favourite villain Grodd in the second last episode as well. I was hoping he would have to team up with Justice League in the final episode.
tmntpower1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #66
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
I didn't really care much for the large amount of heroes in JLU, there was only a handful I liked. Green Arrow was my favourite. Was pissed when they killed off my favourite villain Grodd in the second last episode as well. I was hoping he would have to team up with Justice League in the final episode.
Yes, Green Arrow was by far the most worthy addition.

Since it relates to the Justice League, have you played the Injustice video game? I bought it on release day last year and have played through the story mode a few times. I have also completed some of S.T.A.R Labs but trying to get 100% seems like too much hassle so i haven't played it in a while.

I'm enjoying these games by NetherRealm. Mortal Kombat 9 had the best story mode I have ever seen in a fighting game - played through it multiple times and enjoyed it immensely. I also enjoyed Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #67
Prowler
Emperor

Yes, it is worth it, especially if you consider yourself to be a Ninja Turtles fan. The first 4 seasons are definitely worth a watch.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #68
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Yes, it is worth it, especially if you consider yourself to be a Ninja Turtles fan. The first 4 seasons are definitely worth a watch.
I'd say the whole show is worth a watch. Season 5 and 6 are also good, although the final season was the weakest, there are still some good eps there.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #69
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'd say the whole show is worth a watch. Season 5 and 6 are also good, although the final season was the weakest, there are still some good eps there.
Sure, but my point is, missing the last 3 seasons isn't much of a big deal while not watching the first four is certainly missing out on some great episodes.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #70
Davetello
Banned

Yeah, that's how to sum it up: seasons 5 and 6 are very enjoyable and the latter is underrated. Season 7 is okay and better than claimed too. However, they aren't 'essential'. The first four seasons just seem like the core 2k3 experience - as CC would say, they are required viewing for a turtles fan.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #71
CyberCubed
Overlord

The ending of Season 4 ties directly into Season 5 though. The last episode of Season 4 literally has the Turtles going into Japan to meet the Ninja Tribunal.

Season 5's finale could have technically been the final episode of the whole show. Demon Shredder and the Mystics were dead, Bishop and Baxter go back to the EPF, Karai and Chaplain seem like they no longer have disdain for the Turtles, and Hun is just treated like comic relief.

You could tell the finale of both Season 3 and 5 were written as possible "series finale's" in case the series didn't get renewed. The show could have ended at the end of either Season 3 or 5 and most stuff would have been wrapped up, however Season 4 ends on a cliffhanger making it not a good stopping point.

I'm also glad we got Season 7, imagine if the show ended with the Turtles still in the future? Good god.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #72
Prowler
Emperor

Ninja Tribunal was too "anime-like" for my taste. I like anime but Ninja Turtles aren't an anime and they aren't supposed to have super powers. One thing that distinguishes the Turtles from your typical US comic book hero is the lack of superpowers. Kinda like Batman.

The turtles shouldn't even have gone to the future in the first place.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #73
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Ninja Tribunal was too "anime-like" for my taste. I like anime but Ninja Turtles aren't an anime and they aren't supposed to have super powers. One thing that distinguishes the Turtles from your typical US comic book hero is the lack of superpowers. Kinda like Batman.
I didn't mind the anime powers at all, it was only for one season (and they only use the powers in 9 out of the 12 episodes), and it was a fun take.

Otherwise Demon Shredder would have just been a copy of Ch'rell had he not had magical powers and turned into a dragon. I'm not even a big anime fan myself but I liked the powers the Turtles had.

Quote:
The turtles shouldn't even have gone to the future in the first place.
Can't say I agree on this, FF was a good way to refresh the show, I just wish the animation and tone was kept more similar to the first four seasons.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #74
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

If Seasons 6 & 7 were at least half-way decent, maybe. Because the first 5 were incredible!

It still has an abysmal ending in my opinion.

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #75
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTMNT2012 View Post
It still has an abysmal ending in my opinion.
The wedding episode and Turtles Forever were both fantastic endings for the series. Its one of the few shows I was completely satisfied with how it ended.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #76
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
The ending of Season 4 ties directly into Season 5 though. The last episode of Season 4 literally has the Turtles going into Japan to meet the Ninja Tribunal.

Season 5's finale could have technically been the final episode of the whole show. Demon Shredder and the Mystics were dead, Bishop and Baxter go back to the EPF, Karai and Chaplain seem like they no longer have disdain for the Turtles, and Hun is just treated like comic relief.

You could tell the finale of both Season 3 and 5 were written as possible "series finale's" in case the series didn't get renewed. The show could have ended at the end of either Season 3 or 5 and most stuff would have been wrapped up, however Season 4 ends on a cliffhanger making it not a good stopping point.

I'm also glad we got Season 7, imagine if the show ended with the Turtles still in the future? Good god.
Lots of good insight. In relation to your point about the cliffhanger ending to season 4 - if it were me recommending the show to people, and they said they had limited time, I would recommend that they watch the first four seasons but omit the final ep of season 4. Donnie's salvation in "Good Genes" is a pretty good way to end the series for anyone who won't watch beyond season 4, for whatever reason. It has a lovely family feel to it, and in a way it ties into "TMNT" thematically with the family thing (even though they are different universes). There would be no point in watching the final episode of season 4, and I'd make sure they knew not to unless they had time to continue into season 5.

I loved the Ninja Tribunal season though.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #77
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah my only real problem with Season 5 was the lack of development and focus for the human acolytes. Only Adam and Joy even had a slight bit of personality, the other two were incredibly bland. They ultimately served little purpose other than being the ones to finish off the Foot Mystics.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #78
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
Yeah my only real problem with Season 5 was the lack of development and focus for the human acolytes. Only Adam and Joy even had a slight bit of personality, the other two were incredibly bland. They ultimately served little purpose other than being the ones to finish off the Foot Mystics.
Yeah, I have seen you say that before and I agree. As you've also said, 26 episodes would have given more time for character development. They were intended to be a 'friend' to each individual turtle but there just wasn't enough development. We weren't even sure why each turtle paired off with each person, other than the fact that they probably loosely mirrored the respective turtle's personalities.

I suppose they had to be in the show though as it wouldn't be very believable if the turtles were the only beings on Earth considered worthy of training as acolytes.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #79
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:

I suppose they had to be in the show though as it wouldn't be very believable if the turtles were the only beings on Earth considered worthy of training as acolytes.
I'm honestly surprised characters like Karai and Bishop weren't chosen by the tribunal to be acolytes. Instead of making 4 new human characters who did very little, the writers could have used the established cast.

Considering the big role Karai and Bishop play in the finale too, it would have made sense if they were chosen. Also seeing Karai and Bishop work alongside the Turtles despite being former enemies would have been nice growth.

I mean if they wanted to choose the most powerful humans on the planet, why not Bishop? Why not Karai?
Old 09-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #80
Davetello
Banned

Quote:
I'm honestly surprised characters like Karai and Bishop weren't chosen by the tribunal to be acolytes. Instead of making 4 new human characters who did very little, the writers could have used the established cast.

Considering the big role Karai and Bishop play in the finale too, it would have made sense if they were chosen. Also seeing Karai and Bishop work alongside the Turtles despite being former enemies would have been nice growth.

I mean if they wanted to choose the most powerful humans on the planet, why not Bishop? Why not Karai?
The tribunal will have put lots of thought and preparation into things. They will probably have been worried about the potentially catastrophic results of enemies teaming up. It's an explosive cocktail.

Bishop and the turtles worked together in "Good Genes" but that was out of necessity. They still hated each other. Karai was still harboring animosity towards the turtles over Ch'rell's exile at that point. It could certainly have made the season more entertaining and dramatic, but casting them as acolytes wouldn't have made sense imo. Examining the relationship between enemies would have been an interesting treatment of the characters. But ultimately whenever anything went wrong we'd all be saying "why did they even select Bishop and Karai in the first place? It was such a risk given their animosity with the turtles". Yeah, we saw them work together in the finale to great effect, but hindsight is fantastic. In saying that it's implied in the finale that the tribunal has some sort of psychic abilities (like rejecting Yoshi's pleas for help because his demise would set in motion the events which led to their acolytes being created).

Besides, by the season's climax people are aware of the full gravity of the situation. The turtles make it very clear to the others that the Tengu Shredder is the real fvcking deal and a greater challenge than anything they have ever encountered. At the start of the season the acolytes don't really know what they're in for and because of this the turtles, Bishop and Karai wouldn't have had any immediate solidarity.

The whole season would have been built on foundations of sand. On the other hand, perhaps this one was as well as there's no way that the human acolytes were more worthy candidates than the likes of Karai and Bishop. But I suppose you can give it more credence by my point above - yeah, they're not as talented or intelligent as those two, but they're far more likely to develop a good relationship and teamwork with the turtles.

Last edited by Davetello; 09-02-2014 at 05:13 PM.