The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #361
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
You mean 5 of them were good.
I've meant First Class and Day of Future Past.
Haven't watched Logan, so can't comment on it.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:31 AM   #362
Leo656
The Franchise

Logan was good, but as always, after all the hype, when it was finally over I said, "So... that's it?" Which is why I almost never partake in things when they're fresh and prefer to wait for the hype and hyperbole to settle down, so I don't get swept up in everyone else's overblown exaggerations. It was good, but when some actors get yelled at for saying "It was good for a comic book movie," they're not lying. It wasn't a life-changing event for me; I saw it, I liked it, I haven't watched it since, although I will. It's good, but all the "OMG DOOD LOGAN!" stuff doesn't wash with me. I had a few problems with it.

First Class was alright; I think I liked Days of Future Past better, FC had some pacing issues.

I liked X-Men I and II enough when they were fresh, but it's been a long time so I imagine they're not as good as I remembered.

I didn't really like any of the others I've seen, although I think I completely missed the first two Wolverines. Apocalypse wasn't as bad as people say, but it was way more slow than it should have been and Apocalypse never felt like much of a threat.

Not a huge X-Men guy, or a Marvel guy in general. It's always bugged me that the movies bore no resemblance at all to the comics or 90s cartoons that I'm (slightly) familiar with.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:37 AM   #363
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I shouldn't be too hard on "Days of Putrid Ass"... what made it not so crappy are undoubtedly the elements left over from Vaughn's work on it. But what a squandered opportunity. Something that could have been so big and meaningful ended up being and feeling so small in Singer's hands.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:41 AM   #364
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't like how apologists point at that one like it "fixes" the franchise's timeline. If anything it makes some stuff even worse.

"Time travel, bruh!" isn't enough; I need a little bit more than that.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:42 AM   #365
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I am surprised that anyone still cares for this franchise, the movies themselves have only been okay at best. Unless you count Deadpool as an X-men movie.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #366
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Dark Phoenix director says film was 'very much inspired' by Thor: Ragnarok
https://ew.com/movies/2018/10/06/dark-phoenix-thor/
I found that very hard to believe.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #367
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Looks like Stan Lee indeed did have good taste:
http://www.darkhorizons.com/stan-lee...-dark-phoenix/
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #368
AquaParade
Banned

I gotta say, I'm pretty curious about this one, based on all the contrasting ways they've been describing it. "grounded", "dramatic", and now they are saying it's like Thor: Ragnarok?

Hard to make sense of that. I'm not putting any eggs in this basket, but I'll be anxiously awaiting the reviews out of sheer curiosity at this point.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #369
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I gotta say, I'm pretty curious about this one, based on all the contrasting ways they've been describing it. "grounded", "dramatic", and now they are saying it's like Thor: Ragnarok?

Hard to make sense of that. I'm not putting any eggs in this basket, but I'll be anxiously awaiting the reviews out of sheer curiosity at this point.
My bet - this movie tries to be both and fails.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #370
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Famke Janssen from the original films is optimistic about this movie and she talked about what didn't work in the story for The Last Stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famke Janssen
I'm glad that The Dark Phoenix Saga is finally getting its due. When we tackled it in The Last Stand, it wasn't given enough time. I remember hearing from fans after we finished the film that they were disappointed that an enormous moment in the comics was given so little screen time. I'm happy for them to give Phoenix the due that she deserves.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246...-famke-janssen

Last edited by ranger_scout; 12-17-2018 at 08:38 PM.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #372
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Are any of us really surprised? I, for one, am not.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #373
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

https://cosmicbook.news/x-men-dark-phoenix-disaster

X-Men: Dark Phoenix A Disaster

It's being claimed that Fox Studios and Simon Kinberg's X-Men: Dark Phoenix movie is a complete disaster and really bad. Numerous users on social media claiming to have knowledge about screen tests offer that reactions to the film have not been good.

"Another X-Men: Dark Phoenix test screening, and guess what? I now have talked to 6 people who all went to 3 different test screenings and all of them have told me the screenings were BAD," Skyler Shuler, editor-in-chief of The DisInsider, tweeted.

Another Twitter user commented about a test screening for X-Men: Dark Phoenix offering that scenes did not go over well with the audience.

"I went to one of the screenings. Everybody LAUGHED SO HARD in a scene supposed to be so serious. What a way to end Fox/Marvel movies," El Pinshi Gringo tweeted.

Shuler replied, "I think I know what scene you're referring to."
Old 01-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #374
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I can't wait to see this movie for free and see how terrible it is.

How far we've fallen since First Class...
Old 01-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #375
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm as casual as it gets with X-Men, but I'm curious to see what Marvel does with it. This series has had its ups and downs, but it's long overdue for a hard reboot.

If nothing else... COSTUMES!

...And maybe they'll get everybody on the right side, this time.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:24 AM   #376
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I shouldn't be too hard on "Days of Putrid Ass"... what made it not so crappy are undoubtedly the elements left over from Vaughn's work on it. But what a squandered opportunity. Something that could have been so big and meaningful ended up being and feeling so small in Singer's hands.
I'm part of the minority that thought Days of Future Past was boring. I thought it was a mess compared to First Class. The X-Men films can never seem to get one if my favorite mutants Cyclops right. So disgraceful.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:56 AM   #377
drgon78
Mad Scientist

They can't get a lot characters right in the X-men movies.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #378
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm as casual as it gets with X-Men, but I'm curious to see what Marvel does with it. This series has had its ups and downs, but it's long overdue for a hard reboot.

If nothing else... COSTUMES!

...And maybe they'll get everybody on the right side, this time.
Yes. Costumes.

It’s simultaneously crazy how much importance I place on the costumes, as well as the fact that they’ve yet to get them right after nearly two decades.

Actually, the dark Phoenix ones being based on Morrison’s “New X-Men” run is pretty damn cool. Too little, too late though.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #379
Leo656
The Franchise

My good buddy is a big fan of the series. We've talked about them a fair bit, and I have always been of the opinion that most of them are pretty good action movies, but terrible X-Men movies, if that makes any sense.

Most of what I know came from the 90s cartoon, video games like X-Men Legends, and the old trading cards. So... Basic, but I generally know who's who and what's what. And the movies get so much wrong that although they're enjoyable, mostly, I'm constantly searching for what links them to the source material and why exactly it had to be deviated from so dramatically. Again, a neophyte's opinion, but I definitely don't think they did a "better" job with the stories and characters by making such drastic changes, so I fail to see the point of them, and really wish they'd played it more straight from the beginning. Like when I spend 40 hours playing X-Men Legends, for example, and then go watch one of the movies, there's so little in common at all that I have a hard time recognizing what establishes them as "X-Men" movies. The codenames are about it.

That's why even though I'm generally not a fan of their movies, I'm curious to see how Marvel handles X-Men. It's almost guaranteed to be a lot closer to the source material in just about every way, so that's intriguing. I don't hate the X-Men movies and the first one definitely blew the doors open for the entire genre, but on the whole they represent a huge lost opportunity, to me.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #380
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
My good buddy is a big fan of the series. We've talked about them a fair bit, and I have always been of the opinion that most of them are pretty good action movies, but terrible X-Men movies, if that makes any sense.

Most of what I know came from the 90s cartoon, video games like X-Men Legends, and the old trading cards. So... Basic, but I generally know who's who and what's what. And the movies get so much wrong that although they're enjoyable, mostly, I'm constantly searching for what links them to the source material and why exactly it had to be deviated from so dramatically. Again, a neophyte's opinion, but I definitely don't think they did a "better" job with the stories and characters by making such drastic changes, so I fail to see the point of them, and really wish they'd played it more straight from the beginning. Like when I spend 40 hours playing X-Men Legends, for example, and then go watch one of the movies, there's so little in common at all that I have a hard time recognizing what establishes them as "X-Men" movies. The codenames are about it.

That's why even though I'm generally not a fan of their movies, I'm curious to see how Marvel handles X-Men. It's almost guaranteed to be a lot closer to the source material in just about every way, so that's intriguing. I don't hate the X-Men movies and the first one definitely blew the doors open for the entire genre, but on the whole they represent a huge lost opportunity, to me.
That's about how I feel. The movies were good enough to make me interested in the X-Men, but I eventually learned enough about the characters through the comics to realize: there's a LOT of squandered opportunity in these movies.