The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-28-2017, 05:18 AM   #101
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I would never say, "Don't read IDW, it's terrible." But beyond the reincarnation stuff... it's literally just taking everything from TMNT ever, and doing this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-i5WIeOTN2u...uldron%2B2.gif

Which is fine, but that's certainly not doing anything bold or new with the Turtles or even setting IDW aside as a distinct TMNT universe (I mean, how would you describe IDW to other fans? "The one that has all the stuff from all the others"?). I think just about any TMNT fan could figure out ways to, you know, weave Ray Fillet or Mondo Gecko into the same universe as General Traag and the Neutrinos and Zog... but that's hacky. It just seems like largely a fanfiction of trying to make everyone happy... which is foolish. And with Nickelodeon binding their hands about not letting the Turtles actually kill anyone or actually getting their hands dirty... not even possible.
But isn't this the same problem that almost every TMNT show/series has? Rehashing old stories and rarely trying anything new? I mean, almost all series have City at War, the sabbatical at the farmhouse, Renet showing up, having Shredder use Bebop and Rocksteady as his main henchmen, (now) the inevitable FW crossover...

IDW is just the latest installment of this, only it's a lot more obvious. All of the same stuff we've seen before, just repackaged. It's why I wish any series' creator would just plug up his/her ears when fans clamor to have the lastest iteration of some XYZ storyline that has been done countless times before, and just do their own stories.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:26 AM   #102
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Do you think Batman forever only did well because the first two movies were successful and this one introduced Robin too, so people went to watch it?
I liked Batman Begins.
It wasn't just the fact Robin was in it. The whole film looked exciting. I had absolutely no interest at the time in Batman Returns.

Quote:
Now I know you're trolling. Nobody misses that movie, nobody.
Nah, not trolling. It would have been a terrific end to the Burton era films had it got made.

Quote:
It's Batman & Robin Part 2. That's all you need to know.
Yet a couple of the elements of Batman Triumphant ended up in Batman Begins so kind of wrong there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskater View Post
Also Batman Triumphant??? I've never heard of that one!
Batman Triumphant would have been the fifth last Batman movie of the Burton era. It would have featured George Clooney's Batman as an old man (think the Logan movie) regretting his years in crime fighting, wondering whether it was worth it. Harley Quinn (probably played by Courtney Love) would have featured, trying to get revenge on the death of The Joker. It would have introduced a new villain in the form of The Scarecrow played by...Nicholas Cage! That would have been so cool!

The Scarecrow would have gassed Batman with his hallucination gas, causing out hero to hallucinate villains from the previous movies (that would have been expensive cameos which included Jack Nicholson). Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl wouldn't have been in it, Chris O'Donnell's Robin would have left Batman and become Nightwing by the end of the movie, while Batman takes in Tim Drake who becomes Robin.

The film would have been pretty dark and much more in line with the first and third movie in tone. Unfortunately the critical bashing B & R got meant they couldn't do the movie that would have provided a better end to the series.

Would have been a great film. See here for more info: http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Unchained
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:21 AM   #103
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
It wasn't just the fact Robin was in it. The whole film looked exciting. I had absolutely no interest at the time in Batman Returns.

Batman Triumphant would have been the fifth last Batman movie of the Burton era. It would have featured George Clooney's Batman as an old man (think the Logan movie) regretting his years in crime fighting, wondering whether it was worth it. Harley Quinn (probably played by Courtney Love) would have featured, trying to get revenge on the death of The Joker. It would have introduced a new villain in the form of The Scarecrow played by...Nicholas Cage! That would have been so cool!

The Scarecrow would have gassed Batman with his hallucination gas, causing out hero to hallucinate villains from the previous movies (that would have been expensive cameos which included Jack Nicholson). Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl wouldn't have been in it, Chris O'Donnell's Robin would have left Batman and become Nightwing by the end of the movie, while Batman takes in Tim Drake who becomes Robin.

The film would have been pretty dark and much more in line with the first and third movie in tone. Unfortunately the critical bashing B & R got meant they couldn't do the movie that would have provided a better end to the series.

Would have been a great film. See here for more info: http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Unchained
That actually would've been pretty refreshing to see back then!
Old 09-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #104
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
That actually would've been pretty refreshing to see back then!
Indeed it would have. If there's ever an unfilmed comic book movie I would have liked to have seen produced this is it.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #105
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"I really, really wanted to see Batman & Robin Part 2, from Joel Schumacher. I think that would have been awesome."

Everyone else:

Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #106
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
The whole film looked exciting.
You realize that you can make anything sound cool on paper? If I actually tried I could make Batman & Robin sound like an exciting, powerful film too.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:06 AM   #107
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
You realize that you can make anything sound cool on paper? If I actually tried I could make Batman & Robin sound like an exciting, powerful film too.
Indeed, observe:

"In this film, Bruce Wayne have to face the mortality of his beloved father figure, Alfred. He has to with a straining relationship with his adopted son Dick, brought on by the villainous Poison Ivy. Ivy's plans involve murdering the innocent wife of Viktor Fries for her own gain, robbing the scientist of all meaning in his life and the sole reason for turning to a life of crime. Together with Bane, a man wronged by the same man as Ivy, they plan to kill everyone in Gotham City in a slow and horrific way"

It's not even hard, just be vague about the details and focus on the parts you see in more serious movies using gripping words.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:55 AM   #108
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
I do wonder if the whole drome could come together to make one TMNT movie. Probably not likely due to differing opinions, but I do wonder it at points.
Dude, I can't settle on what I'd put in my own TMNT movie let alone getting the whole Drome to go along with a single vision Fun to think about, though. A TMNT Film by the Technodrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Someone like a Joss Whedon should do a TMNT movie.
I'd be over the freakin' moon with this. I'd also like to see Rob Thomas write a TMNT movie. He has a lot of the same stylings as Whedon but with far better consistency.

Quote:
I think just about any TMNT fan could figure out ways to, you know, weave Ray Fillet or Mondo Gecko into the same universe as General Traag and the Neutrinos and Zog... but that's hacky.
Doesn't Grant Morrison make a career out of doing this to Superman and Batman to critical acclaim? I know, I know... Me and my unpopular opinions.

Quote:
The reason critics never liked the movies is simply because the whole thing is seen as a marketing gimmick and they can't get past that. Same with Power Rangers.
Having the third act of the movie anchoring around a Krispy Kreme didn't help.

Quote:
I kind of hope they're waiting between time for reboots honestly.
I don't. If it's a good movie, people will see it. Hell, even if it isn't, they'll always check out the first one to see how it is if Amazing Spider-Man and TMNT (2014) prove anything.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #109
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Doesn't Grant Morrison make a career out of doing this to Superman and Batman to critical acclaim? I know, I know... Me and my unpopular opinions.
OK, let's get a writer of Grant Morrison's stature doing stuff like that with TMNT. Then we'll talk.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #110
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
OK, let's get a writer of Grant Morrison's stature doing stuff like that with TMNT. Then we'll talk.
Grant Morrison would reinvigorate this franchise for the next 15 years with the flick of his wrist. The dude is stemming with ideas.
Not only that, but he see's deep into the souls of comic book characters and knows just what makes them resonate with us. Just look at what he did with Batman and X-Men - he flips things on their head, while reminding us why we loved them in the first place.

I probably sound like a fanboy, but the guy's work just really speaks to me. And apparently many others.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #111
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Grant Morrison would reinvigorate this franchise for the next 15 years with the flick of his wrist. The dude is stemming with ideas.
Not only that, but he see's deep into the souls of comic book characters and knows just what makes them resonate with us.

I probably sound like a fanboy, but the guy's work just really speaks to me. And apparently many others.
Ideas and storytelling. Nobody crafts and tells a story better than Grant Morrison.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #112
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Quote:
Ideas and storytelling. Nobody crafts and tells a story better than Grant Morrison.
I think I just bit my tongue in half...
Old 09-09-2017, 05:29 AM   #113
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I have loads of Grant Morrison's Batman comics and I have huge respect for him coming up with Damian Wayne and his rebellious traits. But apart from that, the comics are not really that groundbreaking or anything that special. It's better than the usual stale writers sure. I dislike his messy crap that is "Final Crisis".

That being said, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns & Batman: Year One are grossly overrated.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #114
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
But apart from that, the comics are not really that groundbreaking or anything that special. It's better than the usual stale writers sure. I dislike his messy crap that is "Final Crisis".
That's pretty much my opinion of him, too. Glad to see I'm not alone. If he ever wrote TMNT I'd happily check it out, though. Just to see what his take on it would be.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #115
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I have loads of Grant Morrison's Batman comics and I have huge respect for him coming up with Damian Wayne and his rebellious traits. But apart from that, the comics are not really that groundbreaking or anything that special. It's better than the usual stale writers sure. I dislike his messy crap that is "Final Crisis".

That being said, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns & Batman: Year One are grossly overrated.
Regarding Grant Morrison, it's all subjective, but i definitely find his books to be "special". That's one of the first adjective's that come to mind, really. But I can certainly understand not everyone would feel the same.

In regards to DKR and Year One being overrated, I agree in a sense. I find that most things that hit mass popularity tend to raise expectations to a level that typically can't be matched. So while they are probably "overrated", I would still say they are some ultra fine examples of the medium.

Oh, and ...turtles.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #116
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
In regards to DKR and Year One being overrated
They're only overrated in the sense that it's been over 20 years since both came out and there haven't really been (allowed to be?) any Batman stories that people are talking about in equivalent terms since. Beating the TDKR and Year One drum was cool for the first 10 years.

By now we should've had like 6 or 7 TDKRs or Year Ones by now, just as memorable. In 20 years is anyone going to still be talking about "Court of Owls" or whatever?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #117
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

The one thing I do NOT want to happen is see the turtles turned over to Frank Miller as a filmmaker for the '300/sin city/ the spirit' treatment. The Frank Miller of today is not the Frank Miller of old.

I want to see the turtles turned over to one of the great Wuxia movie directors- Tsui Harak, Ang Lee, or Stephen Chow- no western director could do the TMNT as a martial arts film like they could. And that's what I hope to see with the turtles; not 80's American gritty noir rubbish, but a dark Hong Kong martial arts tale of the futility of revenge.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #118
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
The Frank Miller of today is not the Frank Miller of old.
No, he's not. Though he's not as bad as people make it out. TDKR 2 wasn't awful, it was just not remotely as groundbreaking as TDKR 1. Nobody was telling stories like TDKR 1 when it came out, but by the time 2 hit, that's all we had been getting.

I suspect his Xerses book will be interesting, if it ever comes out.

Quote:
I want to see the turtles turned over to one of the great Wuxia movie directors- Tsui Harak, Ang Lee, or Stephen Chow- no western director could do the TMNT as a martial arts film like they could. And that's what I hope to see with the turtles; not 80's American gritty noir rubbish, but a dark Hong Kong martial arts tale of the futility of revenge.
0 chance of that with the TMNT at Viacom/Nickelodeon. The only and best hope is that there is a director out there that likes and "Gets" the TMNT with some clout and enough hits under their belt that Nick/Viacom will 100% let them make whatever movie they want to make, within reason. Anything less than that, if it's just "Nick/Viacom want to make a new TMNT movie and are looking for a hired gun director to make it," it'll just be some varying degree of terrible again, boardrooms filled with focus groups and bankers throwing darts at flipcharts of dumb Fred Wolfisms that made a lot of suits rich way back in "Turtlemania."
Old 09-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #119
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
By now we should've had like 6 or 7 TDKRs or Year Ones by now, just as memorable. In 20 years is anyone going to still be talking about "Court of Owls" or whatever?
Yeah, this is an interesting point of discussion. But it's not like Court of Owl's (which is a kick-ass action romp) is really even worthy of DKR/YO's throne. I'm not sure anything has been worthy yet. Don't make me bring up Grant Morrison again though.

Anyways, it's hard to form thoughts on Batman when your filling my head with nightmares of Nick/Viacom boardrooms.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #120
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
The one thing I do NOT want to happen is see the turtles turned over to Frank Miller as a filmmaker for the '300/sin city/ the spirit' treatment. The Frank Miller of today is not the Frank Miller of old.

This fad did get pretty old for awhile

Tags
cferreira, must be thursday, out_of_pills