The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Vicky82
Emperor

Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie discussion

With the movie being released digitally tomorrow, thought it was best to do a separate post for discussion.

Also this thread will have spoilers so don't come in here if you don't want to be spoiled.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Great. I like the idea of separating pre-release speculations (like "What will it be about?") with actual post-release discussions ("Did you like it or not?").
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:51 AM   #3
DonnieTello
Mouser

I don't normally nerdgasm, but I did when Donnie said bossa nova in this one. Like a genuine involuntary gasp of shock and awe. Oh yeah, and it's a good movie. I would say a little better than Turtles Forever.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
newfan
Mad Scientist

Is it wrong that I didn't want to see Batman beat Shredder in their first fight? Team turtles! Obviously I don't want the side to win though.
Should Shredder have been better against Batman?

I'll say it one last time,.....Donnie's head! Anyway I can get past it, watching the rest of it.

Edit: A lot as I expected, not bad.

Funny how Donnie kept insisting it was 'anti-ooze' and Batgirl called it Retro Mutagen.
Spoiler:
Given the drawing of Splinter we saw in a past story I am kinda glad he wasn't in it, I liked that Leo mentioned him a lot though

Last edited by newfan; 05-14-2019 at 02:39 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

If this is the best TMNT cartoon ever made, I'll watch it.

But since that's not too high of a bar, lovely nostalgia aside, I'm really not all that interested otherwise.

Excited to hear what you all think though.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
Allio
Foot Elite

credits was pretty awesome

Spoiler:
They show classic Batman/TMNT comic book covers redone in to incorporate the other team.

For example it showed the Mirage Raphael Micro and instead of Casey Jones it shows Raphael with Nightwing

Last edited by Allio; 05-14-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
Vicky82
Emperor

Really enjoyed it and there's possibility of a sequel.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
DonnieTello
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Really enjoyed it and there's possibility of a sequel.
There was a sequel tease? That's amazing. Hopefully they adapt Batman vs. TMNT 2 so we can have a Donatello movie.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieTello View Post
There was a sequel tease? That's amazing. Hopefully they adapt Batman vs. TMNT 2 so we can have a Donatello movie.
Let's hope they do Donatello more justice if they do adapt that storyline into animation.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieTello View Post
Yeah it was after the end credits.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #11
Allio
Foot Elite

considering it showed

Spoiler:
jokerfied shredder

the sequel will be quite different
Old 05-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #12
newfan
Mad Scientist

I didn't wait for the end to see, not sure I like the sound of what I just read in the post above though.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
considering it showed

Spoiler:
jokerfied shredder

the sequel will be quite different
The Batman Who Laughs versus the Joker Who Shreds: Dawn of WTF
Old 05-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #14
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Can I get a SPOILER'd list of which characters appear in the film?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Judging from the color pallete and character design, I thought this was gonna be a kids' movie. Imagine my surprise seeing blood gush from a broken nose within the first 8 minutes, imagine the one I got from the guy getting stabbed in the forehead 2 minutes later. Then the... I'm not gonna spoil it but it certainly pushes it over the egde of child friendly. Also "hell" not being substituted with "shell". I kind of assumed Nickelodeon was going loosen the child friendly restrictions for TMNT cartoons sooner or later, I just didn't think it would be this one. Or maybe WB had full creative control over this one, either way I approve.

Speaking of approval, I don't really have any problems with most of the changes from the comic. I don't like that some characters were removed/reduced but otherwise it's fine. The removal of the multiverse aspect is probably for the best, it was such an uninteresting distraction anyway. The implication that the TMNT are part of the DC universe might seem strange but the other DC characters aren't part of it, so it's not really worth thinking about. It's worth it because it means we instead get to see more of Batman and TMNT specific plot devices take a more prominent role.

In general it's a pretty enjoyable movie. Some general issues but I don't expect much from direct-to-video.
Spoiler:
This movie's version of Splinter pretty much has to have the same backstory as in the 1990 movie, right? We see the scars on Shredder's face.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:58 PM   #16
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Judging from the color pallete and character design, I thought this was gonna be a kids' movie. Imagine my surprise seeing blood gush from a broken nose within the first 8 minutes, imagine the one I got from the guy getting stabbed in the forehead 2 minutes later. Then the... I'm not gonna spoil it but it certainly pushes it over the egde of child friendly. Also "hell" not being substituted with "shell". I kind of assumed Nickelodeon was going loosen the child friendly restrictions for TMNT cartoons sooner or later, I just didn't think it would be this one. Or maybe WB had full creative control over this one, either way I approve.

Speaking of approval, I don't really have any problems with most of the changes from the comic. I don't like that some characters were removed/reduced but otherwise it's fine. The removal of the multiverse aspect is probably for the best, it was such an uninteresting distraction anyway. The implication that the TMNT are part of the DC universe might seem strange but the other DC characters aren't part of it, so it's not really worth thinking about. It's worth it because it means we instead get to see more of Batman and TMNT specific plot devices take a more prominent role.

In general it's a pretty enjoyable movie. Some general issues but I don't expect much from direct-to-video.
Spoiler:
This movie's version of Splinter pretty much has to have the same backstory as in the 1990 movie, right? We see the scars on Shredder's face.
Hell, maybe I will buy this today just to show support. It's not like I think swearing and blood are integral to good TMNT stories, but anything that sends a signal to Nick/Viacom that adults are willing to pay for TMNT, I'm down to support.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #17
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

One little thing I found kind of cool was when Shredder first jumped down to meet Batman. It was very reminiscent of the 1990 movie when Shredder jumped down into frame in slow motion. That's a nice little nod to the original movie.

I'm sure there's loads of other Easter eggs in this.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #18
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

loved it, there were so many Easter eggs in this one. anyone else spot the bit of mikey nun-chucking from the opening of the original animated series?

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:22 AM   #19
neatoman
Emperor

Come to think of it, this isn't just the most violent animated TMNT adaptation, it has to be the most violent adaptation period. No matter how hard I try to remember, I don't think any of them depicted humans getting stabbed and cut, certainly not with gushing blood. The closest I can remember is robots and green/yellow blooded monsters getting cut, or at the very least it happened off-screen if it was a person. Like when Mashimi dies in the 4Kids show, we know Yoshi cut him, we just don't see it happen or the wound.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #20
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Come to think of it, this isn't just the most violent animated TMNT adaptation, it has to be the most violent adaptation period. No matter how hard I try to remember, I don't think any of them depicted humans getting stabbed and cut, certainly not with gushing blood. The closest I can remember is robots and green/yellow blooded monsters getting cut, or at the very least it happened off-screen if it was a person. Like when Mashimi dies in the 4Kids show, we know Yoshi cut him, we just don't see it happen or the wound.
It's cool to see that Viacom will allow this, maybe a more adult adaptation could be made one day.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote