The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Tales of the TMNT 56

Midtown's listing this as coming out Wednesday March 18th.

Quote:
"Before the Shredder, New York City was ruled by one very dangerous man. Now, the Shredder is dead, the Foot Clan is in disarray, and that man has been released from prison. This not-to-be-missed issue features the debut of the greatest threat to face the Turtles since the Shredder himself and reveals the shocking events that truly made Casey Jones the man he is today!"
Old 03-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
junkboy
Hench Mutant

It seems it is coming 1 week earlier. We'll see how the issue most of us have been waiting for some time will be.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:12 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Coming out this Wednesday, huh?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Venom
Space Knight

Got it today, will post about it later.

Trist knocked another one out of the park though!

I do wonder what Hun did to the Shredder, and if we will get to see this Tale also?
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo83 View Post
Got it today, will post about it later.

Trist knocked another one out of the park though!

I do wonder what Hun did to the Shredder, and if we will get to see this Tale also?
Thanks dude, that means a lot

The Shredder thing was in there. There was going to be a big ****-off panel, but it really did just deserve to be told as a full story. Fingers crossed, things go well this year and there is a next, I'll tell it then
Old 03-18-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
junkboy
Hench Mutant

Ordered it. Waiting to be shipped. Gah...
Curious...
Old 03-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Reviewed it over at my site.

Decided I might as well expand past Archie and go after some of the Mirage stuff.

Careful, though. I detail the plot, so if you don't wanna spoil anything for yourself...

Quote:
Review:

Comic books incorporating characters and elements from their TV show and movie counterparts have become a fairly common occurrence. Harley Quinn and X-23 are probably the most obvious examples, but more subtle crossovers have been going on for years. Ninja Turtles has never been immune to this. The occasional “cowabunga” has found its way into a Mirage comic every now and again, if you want to go old skool, and heck, even the Foot Mystics who have appeared throughout Tales Vol. 2 were cribbed from the 2k3 series.

However, Hun is a bit different. He represents perhaps the most overt crossover from TV series to comic and I know some fans were pretty resistant to the idea. In the opening editorial for this issue, Dan Berger says that the TMNT don’t have a very impressive rogue’s gallery within the Mirage universe and the addition of Hun was a means to increase their stable of villains. I’m afraid I have to take issue with that; the Mirage TMNT have plenty of solid, quality rogues. The problem is that far too many of them are either “hi then die”, retconned out in an effort to make the official Mirage timeline leaner, or are simply forgotten and left with their threats unresolved (will we ever see the villains from Tales Vol. 2 #11 or #22 again?). Mirage has plenty of good villains, they just never give them the opportunity to be used to their full potential.

And that’s why I take issue with Hun. His introduction here was great; don’t get me wrong. Tristan Jones carries over all the familiar elements of Hun’s character and background, including his history with the Jones family, and adjusts them perfectly to the new medium. No longer restrained by the limitations of Saturday Morning television, Hun can ditch the silly laser guns and goofy schemes and act like a real, gritty, blood-thirsty urban gang leader.

So what’s my problem?

I fear that Mirage will simply forget him just like they do with so many of their other villains introduced in the Tales Vol. 2 series. I’m sick and tired of villains being introduced as “the biggest threat since the Shredder, we swear!” and then being discarded for the next new thing, never to be so much as referenced again. With Mirage making such a big deal about Hun’s introduction into the official comic, I’m inclined to believe that won’t be the case, but who can ever be certain with this series? If Tales Vol. 2 is anything, it’s extremely fickle.

But that’s enough of that.

Tristan Jones is a TMNT fanboy who has worked hard and is now living the dream: writing Ninja Turtles comics for the head honchos at Mirage. He interacts with the fandom frequently and is a terribly nice guy in his own right, but I’ll try not to let my personal experiences with him cloud my judgment of his work. Gotta be professional!

“Hun” follows on the heels of his first Tales story, “To Serve and Protect”, carrying over some characters from that tale (Miller and Lin) and referencing back to it. As such, it follows the story nicely and makes for some welcomed continuity. A problem I’ve always had with Tales Vol. 2, is that too few of the issues solidly connect with one another. I hope to see more of this, for if Hun’s threat is to be taken seriously, he’ll need to have more consecutive face time with which to build up a genuine threat, and not just be reduced to random acts of evil smattered sporadically about the TMNT’s timeline.

We get some nice character work on Casey, going further than just having his “origin” from the 2k3 cartoon dropped into Mirage continuity. His encounter with Hun as a boy, the destruction of his father’s business and his father’s eventual demise are all retained, but given a darker edge to suit the atmosphere of this darker TMNT universe. In addition to this, we’re given a bit of an explanation as to why Casey can be so self-destructive and downright crazy. It reminded me a bit of what DC did with Guy Garder. Formerly a “swell” person with no personality, they put him in a coma and then brought him out with “brain damage” that turned him into a raging prick. Obviously, Casey’s and Guy’s mental disorders are only vaguely similar, but that’s the first thing that popped into my head.

If the story suffers from any issues, it’s that it ends far too abruptly. The TMNT are seen stabbing Hun in the leg and then all of a sudden everybody’s in an ambulance. The End. It succeeds in leaving the audience begging for more, but still feels like they just ran out of space and had to end it.

Paul Harmon’s art is as bee-yoo-tee-full as ever. These are the kinds of purdy pictures folks want in their comics, not so much the Lego-inspired artwork of Jim Lawson. The action is dynamic, the atmosphere is thick and most importantly, the characters don’t look stupid. Harmon is superb at laying on the grit, which fits Tristan Jones’ urban, street crime-oriented storytelling like a glove. At times, though, Harmon’s work can get a little too “inky” looking, but nothing as bad as, say, Joe Ng. I’ve hardly anything negative to say about Harmon’s art and, really, if he can make Casey look cool with a haircut then he deserves some accolades.

Overall, Jones and Harmon turn in another excellent Tale of the TMNT. Whenever I pick up one of their books I’m left with the feeling that, had Tales Vol. 2 been this good when it first started, it probably wouldn’t be floundering in sales.

Grade: A- (as in, “And thank you for ditching Hun’s stupid braided ponytail”.)

Last edited by DrSpengler; 03-19-2009 at 08:22 PM.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
IamtheKnight
Stone Warrior

I'm going to pick this up on Saturday.
IamtheKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Nice job again to Tristan and Paul! When I got to end it left me thinking, "Is it over already!?!" Yeah, I definitely felt like it was halftime and can't wait to see this plot thread expanded in the follow up issue #59! I won't miss this one, since I've already subscribed for Great Escape to hold it for me!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior

While I wasn't enamored with issue #50, I thought this was a very good issue, and an excellent continuation to Tales #36 (has it really been that long? wow).

First of all, let me say I'm really glad Hun made the jump to the comic books. He deserves it. Even so, while this issue is a good introduction for the character, and one that presents a lot of dramatic potential, I don't feel there's much to the character than “scary thug gang boss” yet, nor is there much potential for anything else so far—I don't see him becoming a criminal mastermind like the original, given the more mundane underworld of the Mirage comics, and the nature of “flashback” comics. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing—this version would not have fit that universe and vice-versa—I do feel that an important part of the original's appeal was that he wasn't just an oversized thug, but had the brains to back it up. I don't get that impression from this version just yet. But there's still plenty of time.

More interesting than Hun or the Casey revelations was the unheralded return of Lin, the policewoman/from issue #36 --at least, that's who I assume the woman with the scars is. Last time, she was revealed to be a member of a splinter Foot faction loyal to the Shredder, and here she is masterminding Hun's return. Her potential feels much more tangible, and I'm very interested to see where this is going.

Random thoughts:

Um...Tristan? City at War took place in the early nineties, placing this story in 1995 at the latest. Back then, phone cameras were but the fever dream of a madman. I know the timeline has been a sketchy thing since forever, and that it's hard to do the scene otherwise, but it's a bit distracting once you notice it.

Casey has a sister? Is that even supposed to be his sister? Had that ever been established before?

While Harmon is an overall excellent artist, I have to say I love how he draws scars. They look nasty, like scars should look. I wonder how he'd depict Hun's trademark face scars, even if this incarnation doesn't sport them.

One thing I really like about your writing, Tristan, is all those seemingly throwaway lines to people we rarely if ever see that pepper the characters' dialogue. Issue #36's mention of Diamondback, this episode's mention of The Baron...they've made this slice of the TMNT-verse feel much more coherent and whole than other recent ones. Kudos.
The Big Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Bad View Post
While I wasn't enamored with issue #50, I thought this was a very good issue, and an excellent continuation to Tales #36 (has it really been that long? wow).
Hopefully you'll like #59 as well, as that was originally meant to be the follow-up story to #36, and is similar in a very obvious way. I've adjusted it so that it fits in with #56 as well now. Thank you though, most importantly for the kind words.

Quote:
First of all, let me say I'm really glad Hun made the jump to the comic books. He deserves it. Even so, while this issue is a good introduction for the character, and one that presents a lot of dramatic potential, I don't feel there's much to the character than “scary thug gang boss” yet, nor is there much potential for anything else so far—I don't see him becoming a criminal mastermind like the original, given the more mundane underworld of the Mirage comics, and the nature of “flashback” comics. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing—this version would not have fit that universe and vice-versa—I do feel that an important part of the original's appeal was that he wasn't just an oversized thug, but had the brains to back it up. I don't get that impression from this version just yet. But there's still plenty of time.
As you said, there's plenty of time. I'm all about pacing things out correctly. I'm setting some things up first, and once they're in place, you'll see how it all starts rolling. You'll see that Mason isn't just some thug in the final pages of "Burning Man". So long as Tales continues, you'll see him develop. Things are going to go very badly for someone (provided the comics continue )... and the mundane underworld is getting a very big facelift, starting with #56 actually

Quote:
More interesting than Hun or the Casey revelations was the unheralded return of Lin, the policewoman/from issue #36 --at least, that's who I assume the woman with the scars is. Last time, she was revealed to be a member of a splinter Foot faction loyal to the Shredder, and here she is masterminding Hun's return. Her potential feels much more tangible, and I'm very interested to see where this is going.
That's her alright!

Quote:
Random thoughts:

Um...Tristan? City at War took place in the early nineties, placing this story in 1995 at the latest. Back then, phone cameras were but the fever dream of a madman. I know the timeline has been a sketchy thing since forever, and that it's hard to do the scene otherwise, but it's a bit distracting once you notice it.
Here's the thing, I am very much against adhering to dates. If you put specific dates in a comic, you fall into some awful traps, and this is one of them. I've been involved in a few discussions about this, and I keep using the Flash Thompson Vietnam Vet example.
However, going by the line of thought you're on, if City at War happened in the early 90's and giant kill-bots were being used in gang wars, and hyper-advanced robotics were being employed in rodent control in what would have been the mid 80's, AND nano-technology being accessible in the early/mid 90's when Volume 2 was set, I don't think a camera phone is that much of a stretch (sorry, I'm being pedantic, I know where you're coming from though, I just choose to ignore dates so you don't get held back by things like that).

Quote:
Casey has a sister? Is that even supposed to be his sister? Had that ever been established before?
That's his girlfriend, which ties to Hun's line about blondes later on... if things go well, you'll find out more about all that

Quote:
While Harmon is an overall excellent artist, I have to say I love how he draws scars. They look nasty, like scars should look. I wonder how he'd depict Hun's trademark face scars, even if this incarnation doesn't sport them.
I'm actually hanging out to see what he does with the Shredder Elite from the end of #36...

Quote:
One thing I really like about your writing, Tristan, is all those seemingly throwaway lines to people we rarely if ever see that pepper the characters' dialogue. Issue #36's mention of Diamondback, this episode's mention of The Baron...they've made this slice of the TMNT-verse feel much more coherent and whole than other recent ones. Kudos.
Thanks for all the feedback matey! That's just something I love seeing in the comics I read. Battle for the Cowl was a great example of making nods to the various Bat books (I love Black Mask being back too for those reading it), and I'm a real sucker for all that sort of stuff. Bendis does it a lot with his Avengers books, which I think makes them feel more in tune with the Marvel Universe as a whole than other books.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
Here's the thing, I am very much against adhering to dates. If you put specific dates in a comic, you fall into some awful traps, and this is one of them. I've been involved in a few discussions about this, and I keep using the Flash Thompson Vietnam Vet example.
However, going by the line of thought you're on, if City at War happened in the early 90's and giant kill-bots were being used in gang wars, and hyper-advanced robotics were being employed in rodent control in what would have been the mid 80's, AND nano-technology being accessible in the early/mid 90's when Volume 2 was set, I don't think a camera phone is that much of a stretch (sorry, I'm being pedantic, I know where you're coming from though, I just choose to ignore dates so you don't get held back by things like that).
I had a similar critique of cell phones in #36 but then I realized I was just being petty. I completely agree with both these reasonings. If giant robots can wage war in the streets in fictional 1993 and Stockman can transfer his brain and consciousness into a robot body a few months later, then I have no complaint about the feasibility of cell phones existing in fictional 1993.

View my sketch work!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
junkboy
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I had a similar critique of cell phones in #36 but then I realized I was just being petty. I completely agree with both these reasonings. If giant robots can wage war in the streets in fictional 1993 and Stockman can transfer his brain and consciousness into a robot body a few months later, then I have no complaint about the feasibility of cell phones existing in fictional 1993.

I think seeing giant robots and brain transfer will be seen as sci-fi or fantasy during our generation and some other generations to come. So seeing a giant robot in a 1930 setting or a WWII setting of Hellboy seems really natural to us comic fans but seeing a natural realistic element of today ( which we do not see as something supernatural or high sci-fi ) just used in a decade before our time might seem weird.
Interesting stuff.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind View Post
I think seeing giant robots and brain transfer will be seen as sci-fi or fantasy during our generation and some other generations to come. So seeing a giant robot in a 1930 setting or a WWII setting of Hellboy seems really natural to us comic fans but seeing a natural realistic element of today ( which we do not see as something supernatural or high sci-fi ) just used in a decade before our time might seem weird.
Interesting stuff.
I was actually about to say the same thing! It must have something to do with the relatively mundane things. It seems to be alright to throw in completely unrealistic things like mutant turtles and killbots, or better yet --high tech communication devices-- but as soon as you put a cell-phone in there it kinda brings everyone back down to earth in a weird way...
Old 03-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #15
junkboy
Hench Mutant

So you must keep your fingers crossed for a mutant turtle not to come to the real world and be a normal part of our daily lives, Tristan.
Then writing stories would be harder, eh?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I'd just have to become a futurist and start thinking really hard about what comes after the iPhone
Old 03-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #17
junkboy
Hench Mutant

I remember a Dhalsim Style meditating Splinter pin-up in one of the Tales issues if i am not wrong. But cannot remember which issue.
There was a PSP in the pic i think.I guess Splinter was in the sewers so there must not be a PSP in the pic those years.
Another cracked point in the hugely succesful Mirage TMNT comic franchise!!!
:p
Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This is one of the worst issues of Tales of the TMNT I've read in some time. The plot was lackluster, the narration... even the art was subpar and seemed very rushed. And the inclusion of Hun seemed forced and unneeded.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #19
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This is one of the worst issues of Tales of the TMNT I've read in some time. The plot was lackluster, the narration... even the art was subpar and seemed very rushed.
Ah, I see... Did you just now get around to reading Tales #41?

View my sketch work!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #20
Revan
Han Shot First

We get an explanation for Casey's antics!

I really liked this version of Hun. Not quite sure why he is important to TMNT quite yet but hopefully we will find out in 59. Mirage Hun (that is fun to say) seems a bit more real now that they dropped his stupid long hair. Much better design IMO.

Tags
comic discussion, tales of the tmnt