ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
This one was nowhere as bad as 'Rocks'.
Goodness, I liked that issue too.

Disliking Lawson's art is one thing, but the stories in many of those issues are good. And I have to use the cliche, "Lawson draws great Turtles and monsters/robots, but not human characters."

The last page on #66 with the people reuniting with their lost dogs had no impact on me because the humans were so flat and boring looking.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #23
ToTheNines
[sic]

Ugh, you were right about the OT vibe... I actually "heard" the OT voices when I read this lol.

My major gripe: The cover. I know they were just doing something out of the ordinary, but this book already doesn't sell well, no casual comic reader is gonna pick this up.

Cool pin-up though.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post

Cool pin-up though.
The pin-up of Don fighting mutant frog monsters in the swamp would have been a better story than this entire issue. The art on the pin-up was great and god would I rather see Don fight mutant frog monsters in the swamp, than read a story about dogs being kidnapped.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #25
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
They just seem determined to go out on a whimper. I'll enjoy them as much as I've enjoyed most of the "meaningless" stories in Tales, but I'm really not very excited for them in any capacity, aside from perhaps #70, but that depends on whether its actually "Return to New York" era Lawson, or if its just "Brain Thief" era Lawson.
The sad thing is, Dan even said something about making the last 5 issues special (or something like that) in his opening letter.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #26
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
I like Berger, and I also like Lawson... but is it just me or do they make an awful pairing? (This one, Mined Games, Curious Case of Mr. Jones, Nobody Does it Better, Splinter Cell... I guess the Proposal was o.k. and Day in the Life was great).
To correct myself... Berger/Lawson also did "Temps", which was a cool story.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
69 looks like it will be interesting.
*Chuckle chuckle *snort*

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #28
ToTheNines
[sic]

Yesss! I was worried that would go un-noticed lol
Old 02-19-2010, 04:59 AM   #29
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Goodness, I liked that issue too...
Ugh. That was such a dull issue. It was like somebody's sloppy bj to Lovecraft. A tribute, if well done, is welcome. Case in point: 2K3 episode "The Darkness Within", which was equal parts Lovecraft and Alighieri. Well scripted, and without too much hand-holding, and in fact, only those familiar with both men's works would get it. Kind of a bonus to an already outstanding episode.

However, "Rocks" is overly heavy-handed, practically beating you over the head with the book in a physical sense whilst asking you "Did. You. Know. This. Is. Based. On. Lovecraft? Huh? Huh? Huh?" in between blows. Some of Stephen King's short stories have the same problem.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:11 AM   #30
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

I thought this was a cute issue but yeah, I'd think we'd get some more special issues that relate to other more important stories since we are getting so close to the end here.
I don't think this was as bad as the end of brain theif though, now that was crap.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #31
Venom
Space Knight

Just finished reading this issue; I liked it. Nothing groundbreaking, but a nice story overall.

The one thing that I truly enjoyed this issue was Jim's artwork. It's was fantastic! The Turtles poses were a bit more dynamic and had a feeling of depth to them and Casey's face was more unique and his emotional expressions were quite readable. His linework this issue felt like some of his best in a while.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #32
Cipher
Foot Elite

Got this issue today among several others (and am bringing up a lot of old review threads, sorry).

Verdict: Cute.

Just cute. I had a good time reading it. Nothing special, but certainly more enjoyable and self-aware than other one-off stories like "The Decider."

Also, "Rocks" f*cking rocks, for the record. Get beyond the fact that it's a bright, big Lovecraft homage, and it's a fairly poignant story (the last page, gawd). And Lawson's work looks pretty good in that issue.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tales of the tmnt