The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

James Cameron working on a new Terminator movie

With Tim Miller set to direct.

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: He’ll be back! James Cameron, who regains certain rights to his prized creation The Terminator in 2019, is godfathering a new iteration of the film that might finally get it right in drawing a close in the battle between humans and Skynet. Sources said that Cameron, whose copyright reversion happens 35 years after the release of the 1984 classic, is in early talks with Deadpool director and VFX wiz Tim Miller to direct a reboot and conclusion of one of cinema’s great science fiction tales. David Ellison, whose Skydance co-financed Terminator Genisys, is bankrolling an exploratory effort that includes engaging some top-flight science fiction authors to find the movie creatively. Ellison still holds many Terminator rights, after his 2013 acquisition from sister and Annapurna principal Megan Ellison. She bought them in 2011 at Cannes for $20 million.

This is the latest development in an ongoing saga. Indeed, The Terminator might have endured the craziest road of any billion dollar movie franchise, going back to when Cameron — who only had Piranha 2 under his belt as director — sold the rights to his scripted project for $1 to producer Gale Ann Hurd, with the stipulation he could not be fired as director. The result was a 1984 sci-fi classic, that launched his star and that of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Cameron came back and topped himself to write and direct he blockbuster Terminator 2: Judgment Day, but he washed his hands of the property after that. He mentioned to producers Mario Kassar and Andy Vajna his plans to buy the rights back from Carolco bankruptcy. They beat him to the punch, figuring he would still participate, but Cameron responded by walking away. He didn’t participate in the three films that followed, or the TV show The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The rights ended up with Pacificor, which paid $29.5 million, and Megan Ellison bought them after that company floundered. Cameron has had zero involvement since then, and has largely been silent. The exception was on the last picture, Terminator Genisys. Perhaps because his old buddy and True Lies star Schwarzenegger had returned as the title character, Cameron was generous in his assessment, reportedly saying that the Alan Taylor-directed film had reinvigorated and created a renaissance for the franchise.

Audiences disagreed and the franchise seemed out of gas when the $155 million grossed $440 million worldwide, but didn’t do nearly well enough in the U.S. Perhaps Cameron was foreshadowing his own future return to the franchise. Much the way that Sony used to rush Spider-Man movies to stay ahead of a rights reversion ticking clock, it was always known that Cameron would regain clout eventually. It didn’t seem that Skydance or Paramount had much interest continuing the creative track of the last film, but real creative involvement by Cameron, even if he doesn’t direct, changes the whole ballgame. One only has to look at Aliens, True Lies, Titanic or Avatar to see what he is capable of creatively when he puts his mind to something.

I don’t know anything more than I’ve disclosed here, including whether they reboot the whole thing or pick up from where Cameron left off after the second film. I’ve heard the hope is for Miller to direct whatever they come up with. Cameron is booked for four Avatar sequels, to shoot two at a time. No comment from any of the involved parties.
http://deadline.com/2017/01/terminat...ce-1201890848/
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Would be nice to have a good solid movie to end the franchise with, but my god this series has had so many "second chances" now its gotten ridiculous.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Would be nice to have a good solid movie to end the franchise with, but my god this series has had so many "second chances" now its gotten ridiculous.
I would like to see the next film take place completly in 2029, about John Connor and the resistance finally taking down Skynet.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I'm still waiting on his "Battle Angel" adaptation.

Terminator 3 was underrated and the Sarah Connor Chronicles was the best thing to come out of the franchise since T2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
Wildcat
Foot Elite

So they're totally ignoring Genisys? I've never fully understood if it was a sequel or it was intended to ignore the first 4 movies but I really enjoyed it.

I don't see why they'd do a reboot it if Cameron wants to do an ending though.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Forget Schwarzenegger.... bring back Linda Hamilton.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I'm still waiting on his "Battle Angel" adaptation.

Terminator 3 was underrated and the Sarah Connor Chronicles was the best thing to come out of the franchise since T2.
Battle Angel is coming out July 2018. Unfortunately Cameron is only producing - Robert Rodriguez is directing,
Old 01-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
sdp
-

So you have tons of different continuities..

T1-T2-T3
T1-T2-T:Sarah Conner Chronicles
T1-T2-T:Salvation
T1-T2-T:Genysis (or does Genysis remake T1/2?)
T1-T2-T:untitled cameron sequel?

That's pretty confusing, I remember trying to put T3 and SCC in continuity with each other since there's a few references to T3 in the SCC show and I guess Salvation can occur in everything since it's a prequel/sequel whatever way you want to look at it and I didn't even watch Genysis so I never understood if it was supposed to override the first two movies or just ignore the rest. I haven't seen any of the movies since I was a kid basically and 3 when I was a teen but I guess I should marathon them and one day make a convoluted single timeline full of retcons to make things fit. Which is fitting since T2 the sequel everyone accepts started with a retcon and changed how time travel worked in the first movie.
T1-T2-TGenysis-TSCC-TS
The sad thing is that everything after T2 finishes with a cliffhanger so no matter what this franchise never has a good end.

Isn't the Highlander franchise similarly confusing?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
So you have tons of different continuities..

T1-T2-T3
T1-T2-T:Sarah Conner Chronicles
T1-T2-T:Salvation
T1-T2-T:Genysis (or does Genysis remake T1/2?)
T1-T2-T:untitled cameron sequel?

That's pretty confusing, I remember trying to put T3 and SCC in continuity with each other since there's a few references to T3 in the SCC show and I guess Salvation can occur in everything since it's a prequel/sequel whatever way you want to look at it and I didn't even watch Genysis so I never understood if it was supposed to override the first two movies or just ignore the rest. I haven't seen any of the movies since I was a kid basically and 3 when I was a teen but I guess I should marathon them and one day make a convoluted single timeline full of retcons to make things fit. Which is fitting since T2 the sequel everyone accepts started with a retcon and changed how time travel worked in the first movie.
T1-T2-TGenysis-TSCC-TS
The sad thing is that everything after T2 finishes with a cliffhanger so no matter what this franchise never has a good end.
The way I interpreted it...

Original timeline:
1985 - Sarah Connor gives birth to John Connor
1997 - Judgement Day
2029 - SkyNET loses, sends T-800 to 1984, TechCOM sends Kyle Reese to 1984

Altered Timeline 1:
1984 - T-800 is destroyed, Kyle Reese dies
1997 - Judgement Day
2029 - SkyNET loses, sends T-1000 to 1995, TechCOM sends a T-800 to 1995

Altered Timeline 2:
1995 - T-1000 is destroyed, T-800 is destroyed.
1997 - Judgement Day does not occur
2004 - Judgement Day
2032 - SkyNET loses, sends T-X to 2004, TechCOM sends a T-850 to 2004

Altered Timeline 3:
2004 - T-X is destroyed (but not before uploading information about the future into SkyNET), T-850 is destroyed. Judgement Day
2018 - A SkyNET post is destroyed (Salvation)
2029 - SkyNET loses (but now is armed with information from the T-X from 2004), sends T-800 to the 70s and a T-1000 to 1984, TechCOM sends a T-800 to the 70s

Altered Timeline 4:
197X - Sarah Connor's parents are killed by a T-800
1984 - T-800 is destroyed, T-1000 is destroyed, Kyle Reese lives, Sarah and Kyle time-travel to 2017
2004 - Judgement Day does not occur
XXXX - John Connor is made into a T-3000
2017 - The T-3000 is destroyed

And... that's kind of where we're at. It all works.

Quote:
Isn't the Highlander franchise similarly confusing?
Eh, slightly... H1 and H3 happened exactly the way they appeared, except you just have to mentally retcon that no Prize was won and they aren't the last Immortals in either movie. Then they work just fine with the series and H4. H5, take it or leave it (most leave it). H2 doesn't exist, nor should it.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-22-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #10
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The way I interpreted it...

Original timeline:
1997 - Judgement Day
2029 - SkyNET loses, sends T-800 to 1984, TechCOM sends Kyle Reese to 1984

Altered Timeline 1:
1997 - Judgement Day
2029 - SkyNET loses, sends T-1000 to 1995, TechCOM sends a T-800 to 1995

Altered Timeline 2:
2004 - Judgement Day
2032 - SkyNET loses, sends T-X to 2004, TechCOM sends a T-850 to 2004

Altered Timeline 3:
2004 - T-X is destroyed (but not before uploading information about the future into SkyNET), T-850 is destroyed. Judgement Day
2018 - A SkyNET post is destroyed (Salvation)
2029 - SkyNET loses (but now is armed with information from the T-X from 2004), sends T-800 to the 70s and a T-1000 to 1984, TechCOM sends a T-800 to the 70s

Altered Timeline 4:
197X - Sarah Connor's parents are killed by a T-800
1984 - T-800 is destroyed, T-1000 is destroyed, Kyle Reese lives, Sarah and Kyle time-travel to 2017
2004 - Judgement Day does not occur
XXXX - John Connor is made into a T-3000
2017 - The T-3000 is destroyed

And... that's kind of where we're at. It all works.

Eh, slightly... H1 and H3 happened exactly the way they appeared, except you just have to mentally retcon that no Prize was won and they aren't the last Immortals in either movie. Then they work just fine with the series and H4. H5, take it or leave it (most leave it). H2 doesn't exist, nor should it.
Hopefully T6 takes place after Genisys, There was that mid credit scene that showed Skynet survived.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 01-22-2017 at 05:26 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Hopefully T6 takes place after Genisys, There was that mid credit scene that showed that Skynet survived.

Cameron isn't making a sequel to Genisys (why did they spell it this way?) if this movie ever gets made. More than likely he ignores everything that was made after T2.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I only care about the first 2, the rest is garbage.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #13
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Cameron isn't making a sequel to Genisys (why did they spell it this way?) if this movie ever gets made. More than likely he ignores everything that was made after T2.
Cameron actually liked Genisys.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #14
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
(why did they spell it this way?)
I guess to give the title a slick edge? You really can't use logic to deduce these things.

Quote:
He liked the money he got for saying he liked it. It probably was at least a little interesting for him to see a different filmmaker remake his exact shots, though.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #15
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
No he didn't. He said the same thing about T3 or TS before it came out only to later say he hated it but didn't want to hurt its box office.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #16
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I just saw the title and the first thing that came to mind was 'because of course he is'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:52 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Probably, like Genisys did with T4, it won't directly continue anything from T4 or Genisys, but it won't openly contradict them either.

I would've loved to have seen an all-out Future War movie, with Arnold, Robert Patrick, Kristanna Loken all playing human TechCOM soldiers... a Dirty Dozen-style mission to stop SkyNET. They win, but SkyNET appropriates their likeness for Terminators.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 PM   #18
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Any of the first three movies would've been a fine place to stop. T3 may have been pointless, but at least he didn't begin a new arc. Honestly, I think they would've been better off never making a sequel. It's made less since every time. I'd rather he do a remake. There's nothing else in this universe I want to see.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:38 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Hollywood really needs to stop making sequels and remakes to movies from nearly 30 years ago now. Let the 80's and 90's remain as they were.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:10 AM   #20
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Let the 80's and 90's remain as they were.
They are remaining as they were, numbskull. No one is going back and altering things.

Tags
adayinsidemillerthemovie, cuckwithmeifyouwanttolive, franchise is terminated, hasta la vista cis men, pappenbrooktriggered, terminator: woke fate, the future is female