The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It: Chapter Three (or Chapter Zero?)

Or they'll probably call it "It Begins." Seems like everyone is keen to do it, and with the roaring box office they'll have to strongly consider it:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/skarsgar...t-possibility/

I think there could be something neat there.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Well, like I'd tell Bill Skarsgård myself: "Ropa inte hej förrän du är över bäcken"

This is really just him expressing an interest, so I'm not really gonna take it seriously. Even if I did, what's left to explore in terms of a meaningful narrative? Anyone who tried to stop Pennywise before just failed and he doesn't exist as of Part 2.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
what's left to explore in terms of a meaningful narrative? Anyone who tried to stop Pennywise before just failed and he doesn't exist as of Part 2.
It's arrival on Earth (maybe even a bit before that, when it was still in space), how It took Pennywise's body and form. Like, how much of the human Pennywise is in there, if any. Is It like a symbiote to Pennywise, in some way? What's Pennywise the human's story? Stuff like that is interesting to me. And yeah, it could be set in Derry with the first bunch of kids trying (and yes, failing) to defeat him.

So basically... a big origin story where Pennywise "wins" in the end. That doesn't sound like fun?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Not interested. Interesting, but not interested.

It'll probably happen.

And IT Begins is a damn good title. Too good to pass up.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Not interested. Interesting, but not interested.

It'll probably happen.

And IT Begins is a damn good title. Too good to pass up.
These are my thoughts exactly.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Just do IT.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #7
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Just do IT.
Nike, is that you?

This is stretching a successful product. Its like making The Hobbit into three movies with bonus material in the third. Yes, I like IT because its not horror per se. I don't like horror. I describe the story as The Goonies grow up and face a hybrid Batman villain Joker/Clayface. There is a lot of characterization also built into the characters.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Nike, is that you?

This is stretching a successful product. Its like making The Hobbit into three movies with bonus material in the third. Yes, I like IT because its not horror per se. I don't like horror. I describe the story as The Goonies grow up and face a hybrid Batman villain Joker/Clayface. There is a lot of characterization also built into the characters.
Pennywise is a demonic entity that feeds off the fear of children, sometimes even literally. It's definitely a horror movie.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Pennywise is a demonic entity that feeds off the fear of children, sometimes even literally. It's definitely a horror movie.
Its different though. Its a layered characterization and has a lot of history involved. Its not just a horror story. Its a lot of things which is what draws someone who avoids horror, at least me. The concept, the arcs of Ben and Mike. The cheesy one liners and the history I like to absorb.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm less worried about what they'd do in an It prequel... but more worried about them not leaving well enough alone at that point and doing part 4, and 5.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's arrival on Earth (maybe even a bit before that, when it was still in space), how It took Pennywise's body and form. Like, how much of the human Pennywise is in there, if any. Is It like a symbiote to Pennywise, in some way? What's Pennywise the human's story? Stuff like that is interesting to me. And yeah, it could be set in Derry with the first bunch of kids trying (and yes, failing) to defeat him.

So basically... a big origin story where Pennywise "wins" in the end. That doesn't sound like fun?
So I didn't really follow that.... It made more sense that Pennywise was some ancient demon and the immobilizing effect when glaring into his mouth is akin to being psychologically overwhelmed in terror by glaring into the depths of hell.

So basically that's all wrong and Pennywise is some kind of ancient alien? What was with the three glowing lights thing?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #12
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Its different though. Its a layered characterization and has a lot of history involved. Its not just a horror story. Its a lot of things which is what draws someone who avoids horror, at least me. The concept, the arcs of Ben and Mike. The cheesy one liners and the history I like to absorb.
It's still horror, though. It's like saying I don't like a certain type of music. Maybe in general, but I'll find things I like in that genre here and there.

Horror, when done correctly, is layered. No one is actually scared by a cosmic spider that sucks out people's fear. That's just there because telling a story about how scary growing up is doesn't really carry the same impact.

Mixing the fantastic (in this case, IT) with the mundane (in this case, puberty) is a very effective story telling element.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:16 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
So I didn't really follow that.... It made more sense that Pennywise was some ancient demon and the immobilizing effect when glaring into his mouth is akin to being psychologically overwhelmed in terror by glaring into the depths of hell.
Apparently in the book he is a shapeshifting alien riding the back of Maturin the turtle and fell to Earth... and took a particular interest in the human Pennywise, so much so that he kept the persona for decades.

Quote:
So basically that's all wrong and Pennywise is some kind of ancient alien? What was with the three glowing lights thing?
I mean, he could be an ancient demon... AND from space. I guess. But he's definitely from space.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

Kinda. "Space"/other dimension.
-------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_(character)

- It originated in a void containing and surrounding the Universe—a place referred to in the novel as the "Macroverse" (a concept similar to the later established "Todash Darkness" of the Dark Tower novels).

- It's true form is not precisely what the children actually see. Instead, the natural form of It exists in an inter-dimensional realm referred to by It as the "deadlights". Bill Denbrough comes dangerously close to seeing the deadlights, but successfully defeats It before this happens. The deadlights are never seen, and their true form outside the physical realm is never revealed, only described as writhing, destroying orange lights. Coming face to face with the deadlights drives any living being instantly insane (a common Lovecraftian device).
--------------------

So... kinda. "From space" is both accurate and an extreme over-simplification.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:12 PM   #15
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Yeah, pretty much what Leo said, although to go a bit deeper, the book described the alien spider as the closest the human mind could come to comprehending its true form. The deadlights were both its eyes and its inner "life-force", so to speak. And Bill's wife DID see them. So did one of the bullies. Both wound up catatonic and/or insane. The nature of its true shape and evil was enough to drive people mad, and it had a corrupting influence on those who lived near it for too long, which explains a lot about why Derry was such a horrible town under the picturesque surface. As for the turtle, that was more a spiritual guide for the kids, mostly based on Bill's imagination and some hints of Hindu mythology. It had nothing to do with the turtle, in fact they were opposed. The turtle was mostly symbolic as a sign of wisdom and perseverance.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:18 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Yeah, pretty much what Leo said, although to go a bit deeper, the book described the alien spider as the closest the human mind could come to comprehending its true form. The deadlights were both its eyes and its inner "life-force", so to speak. And Bill's wife DID see them. So did one of the bullies. Both wound up catatonic and/or insane. The nature of its true shape and evil was enough to drive people mad, and it had a corrupting influence on those who lived near it for too long, which explains a lot about why Derry was such a horrible town under the picturesque surface. As for the turtle, that was more a spiritual guide for the kids, mostly based on Bill's imagination and some hints of Hindu mythology. It had nothing to do with the turtle, in fact they were opposed. The turtle was mostly symbolic as a sign of wisdom and perseverance.
Huh. Well I've never read it, so that's a good insight. My only point is that -- and I'm the last guy to say let's mine some sh***y series with a unnecessary prequel -- that seems like pretty fertile ground for one more film. Realized.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:33 AM   #17
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Huh. Well I've never read it, so that's a good insight. My only point is that -- and I'm the last guy to say let's mine some sh***y series with a unnecessary prequel -- that seems like pretty fertile ground for one more film. Realized.
I haven't read any Stephen King. But I've read a lot of Lovecraft and that the stuff you guys are explaining in this thread takes a lot of nods from those Lovecraft beats.

Most of my exposure to Stephen King has come from the 90's mini-series they made out of his books for a while, and then of course many of the movies. He must write with the same tropes quite a bit, because in most Stephen King stories there's the rational hero, the religious zealot, and the babbling nut amidst a group that storms, norms and tries to overcome.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:36 AM   #18
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Yes, the World Turtle, I believe it was incorporated into Archie's TMNT Adventures too. It was the Yin to Pennywise's Yang. Both were inter-dimensional god-like beings from another reality. A female spider is the physical form of IT, but an orange blinding light is the true form. Tom, Bev's abusive husband saw the light and died of fright after being mentally controlled. The same with Henry Bowers, he was the orange light and was mentally controlled though did not die of freight, but from his ill-fated attack on the Loser's Club as adults. Adora, was also placed in a catatonic state after Tom under mind control abducted her and brought her to IT who then showed it's true form. In the adaptations Tom was not a factor. There were others cacooned with Adora, but were any of them still alive?

What was the point of Beverly killing her father in self-defense? Was it to show she is a strong character and can overcome abuse? Yet she is destined to marry/ have a romantic relationship with someone reminiscent of her father which defeats the idea of her character development.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #19
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Well, she never really overcame that as a kid, so continuing the cycle as an adult actually made sense. She didn't fully overcome it until after she left him, finally confronted both her past and the creature, and killed It.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end

Last edited by MsMarvelDuckie; 09-13-2019 at 05:40 PM.
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:11 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

This and other threads make me feel like they should just stop printing books entirely. It's over.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote