The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-14-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Viacom Registers New Trademark for New TMNT Project "TMNT: The Next Chapter"

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Next Chapter: ViacomCBS Applies to Register Trademark for New TMNT Project

From the article:

ViacomCBS is filing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Next Chapter under "entertainment services in the nature of continuing program series, featuring animation, comedy and drama provided through cable television, broadcast television, internet, video-on-demand, and through other forms of transmission media; providing online information in the field of entertainment concerning television programs," which suggests that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Next Chapter will be a new TMNT series, rather than the recently announced CG-animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theatrical movie Nickelodeon Animation is currently producing with Point Grey Pictures - although it could be a series based on the movie. It's also not thought to be related to Netflix's Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, expected to premiere next year.

It's also currently unknown which platform the new TMNT series is being produced for: Nickelodeon (linear and digital) or streamers such as CBS All Access/Paramount+ and Netflix.

ViacomCBS filed their application to trademark Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Next Chapter on Tuesday, December 8, 2020, as has the serial number 90367277.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Shark_Blade
Emperor

More vague stuff how awesome.

Thanks for sharing nonetheless.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

It’s a very creative name. Early thoughts is that it’s a continuation of something (duh!). Potentially the 2012 show, but all three shows have got a decent finale (no idea on Rise). Could this be the live action show in the movie universe that was rumoured a few years back?

Last edited by The Turtle Terminator; 12-15-2020 at 09:22 AM.
The Turtle Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #4
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
More vague stuff how awesome.

Thanks for sharing nonetheless.
I think the fact they registered a trademark is pretty big.

Nothing concrete yet, but it's indicative they will continue the franchise very soon.

"Next Chapter" does imply this is a continuation of some kind.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

"Next Chapter" really does sound odd if this is an all-new series.

Maybe the 2012 Nick show is coming back? If not, it's not a name I would use for a new continuity.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
"Next Chapter" really does sound odd if this is an all-new series.

Maybe the 2012 Nick show is coming back? If not, it's not a name I would use for a new continuity.
Yeah, exactly.

There were rumors that they wanted to do a 1990 movie continuation a while ago, wasn't there? What if this is connected to that?
Old 12-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Given this sounds like a TV series I don't think anything from the older movies will be continued. And of course the original cartoon and 2k3 series are unlikely to receive a new series (even with all the OT Turtles crossovers over the years).

If it isn't a new continuity there's really nothing else I could imagine it being the next chapter of but a few things. We know Rise is already getting a movie to wrap it up too.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Galactus
Foot Elite

Call me deeply cynical but the title sounds like a show about the teenage sons and/or daughters of the original TMNT.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #9
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

as long as the show is nothing like Rise I will be happy
Old 12-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Call me deeply cynical but the title sounds like a show about the teenage sons and/or daughters of the original TMNT.
That would be, "TMNT: The Next Generation."

This title reminds me of Dragonball Super, which was an official continuation of DBZ. I think the early press-releases for the Beerus movie referred to it as the next chapter.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #11
newfan
Mad Scientist

Not sure I want to pay too much attention, I'll wait until something is not only announced but also confirmed as in progress.

Just speaking in speculation the Next Chapter could be one of the former toons set later on on or a whole new toon just set with them older, after the stories we already know. So far as existing shows...I mean, it says not likely to be Rise but I suppose if it were that it could even be the next part for all we know, post the 'Rise' aspect. I dunno, it also speculates this might be instead of the new movie, that would be two movie threads we pointlessly have if that were the case. All just more speculation. Think I'll go back to reading Mirage and revisiting what I like.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #12
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
This title reminds me of Dragonball Super, which was an official continuation of DBZ. I think the early press-releases for the Beerus movie referred to it as the next chapter.
Yeah, same here.

I think there's three possibilties:

1) It is the 'Next Chapter' of a pre-existing cartoon. Most likely 2012, but could also be 1987 or 2003, though I'd doubt it.

2) It is something where they are older, as someone else said, and set after their previous adventures (but also not related to one of the aforementioned cartoons, more like the adventures are informed). Maybe a more mature take on the franchise. I doubt it because kids and fans would probably prefer them being teenage mutants who fight Shredder, et al.

3) It is going to be something entirely new, they just use 'Next Chapter' as a cutesy tagline.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #13
frank_one
Mad Scientist

My bet is that this will be a sequel to the 1987 series. Nostalgia is the only thing they know that can work.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #14
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
This is exactly what I was going to post. And that also fits the current pop culture operating model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
My bet is that this will be a sequel to the 1987 series. Nostalgia is the only thing they know that can work.
That would be very interesting. But I don't buy it.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I don't really see that as too likely. Despite multiple crossovers the show itself coming back is a huge undertaking, and the VA's for the original Turtles are pretty old now and besides maybe Rob Paulsen and Cam Clarke probably wouldn't work on a new series full time.

As seen with Nick's shows with 2012 and Rise, they clearly want to create their own universes rather than continuing the original cartoon.

IF it's a continuation of something old, the 2012 show is all I can see being revisited. And even then that's a big if. Technically when we hit 2022 the show will be in its 10th anniversary, so all the kids who grew up with it will have nostalgia for it.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #16
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Doesn't exist until an announcement is made, dont' get excited. this hasn't been picked up by any site besides this free blogspot site and it hasn't even been picked up by the sites that use any rumor as "announcements". Many companies file trademarks to protect their IP so could just be a case of that since the source of the site seems to be legitimate.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Pretty sure I would fvcking hate that
Old 12-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #18
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

i'm betting it's something like this.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #19
Vicky82
Emperor

Cool, so it could be a new show.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #20
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Doesn't exist until an announcement is made, dont' get excited. this hasn't been picked up by any site besides this free blogspot site and it hasn't even been picked up by the sites that use any rumor as "announcements". Many companies file trademarks to protect their IP so could just be a case of that since the source of the site seems to be legitimate.
Do sites typically report on trademarks? I know some Star Wars sites used to do that in past thinking it would be the name of a new movie but that’s all I’ve ever seen.

This seems legit if you look at the other trademarks for Viacom. All for future television shows some of which have been announced officially after they were registered.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote