The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-16-2021, 09:07 PM   #2861
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Have not seen a single hardcore turtle fan (that are non youtube reviewers)
jumping on this so i wonder who this appeals to.
If the party wagon fails then i think it's safe to say we won't be getting
the blimp or technodrome from super7.

Being a non-statue collector, i have to say everything has been within range of what i can afford so far.
This party wagon is the first thing that made me turn down a turtle product because of the price.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:12 PM   #2862
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Sometimes I find it helpful to play the Either/Or game on evaluating the price of something.

Like... for the amount that Product X costs, I could also buy [fill in the blank].

A fancier Party Wagon is not winning any of the matchups I've thought up yet.

Then again...
Spoiler:
Maybe if it has amazingly cool box art....
Spoiler:
Nah, still no.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:39 PM   #2863
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Sometimes I find it helpful to play the Either/Or game on evaluating the price of something.

Like... for the amount that Product X costs, I could also buy [fill in the blank].
That price tag is obvious.
It is directly competing with XBox series X and the PS5.
Would you rather have a console (provided if you can find one) or
something that sits on your shelf and do nothing?
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:46 PM   #2864
Dask
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
Now that I think of it, my Series X and PS5 does offer quite a bit more value for the same price tage. Heck, my Polymega (which I preordered for $300) is also a better deal.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:04 PM   #2865
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
Now that I think of it, my Series X and PS5 does offer quite a bit more value for the same price tage. Heck, my Polymega (which I preordered for $300) is also a better deal.
I really would love a Polymega!

View my sketch work!
Old 11-17-2021, 03:12 AM   #2866
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yeah, for the price you could have a new games console or, sticking to collector stuff, 2 Hot Toys. No way the van wins either or those match ups for me.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:38 AM   #2867
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

I’ve always thought, and wanted, NECA or S7 to have gone down the route of the original Playmates scale (is it 4 or 5 inch?).

For me there are 2 (maybe 3) reasons.

1. We could have used the NECA and S7 with our existing vintage figures and vehicles.

2. Any NECA or S7 vehicles would be smaller and therefore cheaper (less plastic, packaging etc).

3. Smaller scale means they take up less space – including a Turtle Van taking up less space.

4. Just for me personally I prefer the smaller scale. Not really a fan of the 6 inch lines we have going across various franchises (TMNT NECA & S7, GI Joe, Star Wars). I grew up with the smaller scale, so maybe that’s why my preference lies there. I buy the 6 inch stuff because there are no smaller options at the quality (thanks Playmates).

OK, so that’s 4 reasons!

Maybe someone will say it is something to do with Playmates and they are the only manufacturer allowed to do the smaller scale? Wouldn’t surprise me.

Just for the record I have no interest in this S7 van. Will be interested to see what NECA come out with, and also the cost. I remember earlier this year seeing a fan made Turtle Van that looked RAD as hell.

Edit: I'd rather spend my money on a Ghostbusters Haslab proton pack than a giant Turtle van (earlier comment about comparing other things you could spend that money on...)

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths"
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:05 AM   #2868
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Kinda sad when the tmnt arcade is less expensive than the party wagon. Definitly a hard pass unless I win a substantial part of one of the lotterys and that's after I get a hold of the tmnt pinball.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:17 AM   #2869
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

It's awesome.
I can afford it.
But I don't want it.
Thank you for coming to my Shred Talk.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:15 AM   #2870
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Stole this from a Facebook comment:
Quote:
For 500 I better get leather interior. Ac and heat working. Free oil changes and a free warranty

View my sketch work!
Old 11-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #2871
IMJ
Foot Elite

It's a ridiculous price point. There are people who would say that is a "complaint", but the truth is that for as many of us who can't afford it, there are just as many of us who could buy this thing several times over. On top of that, I wasn't in the market for that van to begin with. And yet I'm still saying that it's a ridiculous price point.

I saw on Instagram that one addicted-drone justified the price with the comment something to the effect of, "well in all fairness it's going to house $300 worth of action figures, sooooo". That's the dumbest logic for consumer support that I've ever seen. To justify that expense by implied justification of 50 redux action figures.

I saw another guy justifying not buying it with the comment "I could buy almost two Hot Toys for that money!". Don't even get me started on that logic. For the record I have several Hot Toys pieces and dropped both those and Sideshow as soon as those went from super-premium 75 - 100 dollar pieces all the way to 250 - 600 toys out of primary market-opportunity.

The fact is that Super 7 is fishing and calling their consumer base dumb and calling them addicts. They can justify it with BS like "tooling costs" and "elevated material costs", but even that is more manipulation that they believe will work because they clearly, in action, believe their consumer base is dumb and addicted.
IMJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #2872
teemu
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Have not seen a single hardcore turtle fan (that are non youtube reviewers)
jumping on this so i wonder who this appeals to.
If the party wagon fails then i think it's safe to say we won't be getting
the blimp or technodrome from super7.

Being a non-statue collector, i have to say everything has been within range of what i can afford so far.
This party wagon is the first thing that made me turn down a turtle product because of the price.
I see way more people saying NO to this than yes. The price has gotten out of hand with just about everything.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #2873
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
The fact is that Super 7 is fishing and calling their consumer base dumb and calling them addicts. They can justify it with BS like "tooling costs" and "elevated material costs", but even that is more manipulation that they believe will work because they clearly, in action, believe their consumer base is dumb and addicted.
Just walk into Walmart this holiday season, they usually have the aisle full of MONSTROUS plastic toys that have all sorts of exciting features, all for a price the peasantry can afford.

"Oh, but that's because they make 10's of thousands of those"

Yeah and about 90% of them end up on clearance, and yet still somehow money is made.

Plastic, and molding plastic, is not this expensive, dummies. That's been true this entire decade of toy collecting but we went along with it and now here we are.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:43 AM   #2874
AquaParade
Big Boss

Yeah, this is an insulting price point. I couldn’t buy it even if I were a millionaire, because I have at least some pride.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Super7 eat some **** over this announcement, scale back the price, and give some lame excuse as to why like “luckily, we found a way to scale back costs on the accessories, and lower the overall price to $350. To thank you, we even threw in an extra “slice of pizza” accessory, because you can never have too much pizza!”… and then still eat ****, because even that is too expensive, and just stop with the pizza.

Look, if you can happily afford this and it’s your heart’s desire, more power to you. Just be aware that Super7 takes you for a fool. Mileage will very on that one.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #2875
j3h
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
I see way more people saying NO to this than yes. The price has gotten out of hand with just about everything.
To be fair, with the amount of negativity and hostility towards the price, Im not sure many people would post that they are buying it and having to justify their decision while being labeled a puppet or defender or worse.
j3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:23 AM   #2876
jestergoblin
Stone Warrior

I'm getting it.

Also, here's a rough size comparison for scale:

jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #2877
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestergoblin View Post
I'm getting it.

Also, here's a rough size comparison for scale:

https://i.postimg.cc/sgsHdBJs/SIZE-COMPARISON1.png

I also ordered. This is a grail piece for me. When I layed out the dimensions on a TV tray, it was literally 2 inches longer, same width and 14" tall. Its really a nuts size.

In closing, I bought in. I think its cool. But I will buy reprinted sticker sheets from the OG van to use on this. I would really like the original stickers.

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:31 AM   #2878
ToSte
Hench Mutant

The size, detail, amount of plastic as justification of cost is BS. My daughter has had Barbie and American Girl doll vehicles that are just as detailed and even larger than this thing and don't cost nearly as much. Hell you could buy a Power Wheels tank that seats 2 kids and shoots foam missiles for less.
ToSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:33 AM   #2879
Dask
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
As much as I enjoy the bells and whistles of an "ultimate" line, there must be a market for folks that want an action figure that is neither an "ultimate" nor a "reaction". What happened to the middle-ground? Where are the $20-30 figures that do not have three head sculpts and three sets of hands and random memorabilia from random episodes?
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:39 AM   #2880
jestergoblin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
As much as I enjoy the bells and whistles of an "ultimate" line, there must be a market for folks that want an action figure that is neither an "ultimate" nor a "reaction". What happened to the middle-ground? Where are the $20-30 figures that do not have three head sculpts and three sets of hands and random memorabilia from random episodes?
That's basically the BST AXN line.
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote