The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 11-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Hasbro Make Takeover Bid For Mattel

Quote:
Toymaker Hasbro has made a bid to purchase Mattel, one of its biggest competitors, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Hasbro owns the Transformers, G.I. Joe, and My Little Pony franchises, among others. Purchasing Mattel would bring Masters of the Universe, HotWheels, Barbie, and more under Hasbro's banner, including, potentially, the license for toys based on DC comics.

Hasbro recently entered the film world, founding its own studio to create films related to its toy lines.
https://www.newsarama.com/37314-hasb...undefined.uxfs
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
newfan
Mad Scientist

Are Mattel struggling? or is this just Hasbro hoping they'll sell? My computer didn't like that link so I didn't read it.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
sdp
-

The link in the OP is awful, change it to the original WSJ post or if you don't have a subscription at least CNBC.

Let's hope this doesn't happen as it would be awful for the toy industry. The people celebrating clearly don't understand how markets work and the effect it'll have on the industry and it won't be good for the consumer. The less competition the worst and no companies like NECA are not competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Are Mattel struggling? or is this just Hasbro hoping they'll sell? My computer didn't like that link so I didn't read it.
Mattel has been struggling since it hasn't reached their sales estimates and the TRU closing also took a toll on their stock. Apparently they're worth around 5 billion while Hasbro is worth around 11 billion. I'm surprised honestly, I thought Mattel was worth more than Hasbro.

The link doesn't include any real info just a clickbait article linking to the WSJ with no content.

Mattel is a public company, Hasbro can literally buy it if they really want to, that's called a hostile take over while a merger is when both agree, though "merger" is not a great term since the two companies merging are never equal, one owns the other. It's a bit more complicated than that but that's a carsh course.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Hot Wheels Transformers?

There's potential there.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #5
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The link in the OP is awful, change it to the original WSJ post or if you don't have a subscription at least CNBC.

Let's hope this doesn't happen as it would be awful for the toy industry. The people celebrating clearly don't understand how markets work and the effect it'll have on the industry and it won't be good for the consumer. The less competition the worst and no companies like NECA are not competition.

Mattel has been struggling since it hasn't reached their sales estimates and the TRU closing also took a toll on their stock. Apparently they're worth around 5 billion while Hasbro is worth around 11 billion. I'm surprised honestly, I thought Mattel was worth more than Hasbro.

The link doesn't include any real info just a clickbait article linking to the WSJ with no content.

Mattel is a public company, Hasbro can literally buy it if they really want to, that's called a hostile take over while a merger is when both agree, though "merger" is not a great term since the two companies merging are never equal, one owns the other. It's a bit more complicated than that but that's a carsh course.
Shame if it happens, with them being a big toy co for many years. I am surprised also at Mattel being worth less.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #6
Ninjinister
無問題

Not like either are putting out any figures worth my interest these days anyway, so this means nothing to me :/
Old 11-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Good I don't know if Mattel is in charge of DC Collectibles but id rather hasbro have those and give them Marvel Legends articulation. Dc Collectibles cancels all there figures lately its really sad. Other than that I don't buy much Mattel stuff.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Mattel was granted the Jurassic liscense over Hasbro so if this happens were back to that chinese looking knock-off **** again? Not only that but they would ruin the WWE line. The only one I could see them actually improving on is the DC stuff. It won't happen though mattel's been around for ages it's like BK buying mcdonalds it ain't gonna happen.
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote