The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #41
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
You're right, the 2012 toyline jumped from day one. The Shredder figure was nowhere near as memorable as the 1988 one. That Splinter does not go well with the set of Turtles figures, at all. I did not like how some figures had more points of articulation than others. The latest figures like Mutagen Man and Kirbybat look more like Happy Meal toys than action figures.

I don't like the Classics. Playmates should have given us figures of the Turtles from the '87 mini-series. The colors are too dark for Michelangelo, and light for Bebop. Bebop and Rocksteady really do not look like they belong to the line. They look like Marvel Legends versions of Bebop and Rocksteady. They do not go with the 2012 Classics figures at all.

The 2k3 toyline got better as time when on. It was too late. I loved the card art for figures like Hamato Yoshi. I was surprised to see the first wave have backers that looked similar to the 1993 basic wave figures. It was great toyline, it never jumped.
Sounds like your nostalgia goggles are on too tight there, bud. The '88 Shredder is memorable only for the fact he was colored entirely wrong, had no shirt on, and was posed so ridiculously that he could barely stand. Nick Splinter/Shredder are totally in scale and style with the turtles.

I agree with you on the classics, 100%.

2k3's toyline was off to an excellent start, but much like the Nick figures, declined greatly over time. I think the only difference is that the former took a lot longer to do so, and even then, suffered moreso with articulation than paint/sculpt. It completely jumped at a point, though, there is no denying that. There were more sports based variants than you could shake a stick at, among other varieties, and the same goes for the 2007 series, which was an extension of that one given it was tied to BTTS.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #42
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Sgt Bananas?

But in all seriousness, the original line didn't really jump the shark exactly. It had its weird moments, but the toys were mostly appealing and high quality. Mostly.

I lost interest in the 2k3 stuff when it descended into bland villains and turtle variants, but there was usually at least one interesting figure in each of the later waves. That is, until Paleo Patrol. (I almost bought some of those to get the repainted Primal Rage figures, but I came to my senses.)
Old 02-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #43
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
2k3's toyline was off to an excellent start, but much like the Nick figures, declined greatly over time. ... There were more sports based variants than you could shake a stick at, among other varieties, and the same goes for the 2007 series, which was an extension of that one given it was tied to BTTS.
There were two. (Three if you want to count weight lifting as a sport and include the Ripped Up Turtles.) There were the Extreme sports Turtles that were actually shown in the intro to the cartoon and were released almost immediately and the MESS Turtles.

But what almost everyone in this thread who is talking about the line jumping the shark is forgetting is that this line has been a shark jumping spectacular from the start. Playmates took a comic about five mutants in the sewers of New York and decided it would work better if they had more mutants to fight against, so Bebop and Rocksteady were created. And there weren't enough accessories and vehicles for them to sell (remember, it was the eighties. Lines like He-man, G.I. Joe, and Transformers were what they were hoping to become. Vehicles were a much bigger deal back then.) So what would be an appropriate vehicles to give to characters who had no money and lived in the sewers of the most crowded city in the country? Oh yeah, A BLIMP!!!!!! And they actually made a toy blimp!

This entire property was born jumping the shark. You either accept it and it becomes part of what you love about it. Or you might as well leave now.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #44
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Sgt Bananas?

But in all seriousness, the original line didn't really jump the shark exactly. It had its weird moments, but the toys were mostly appealing and high quality. Mostly.

I lost interest in the 2k3 stuff when it descended into bland villains and turtle variants, but there was usually at least one interesting figure in each of the later waves. That is, until Paleo Patrol. (I almost bought some of those to get the repainted Primal Rage figures, but I came to my senses.)

I see what you mean. The card art and sculpting still save the toyline. To be fair, the '88 line went with the times. Genghis Frog was on shelves with the Police Academy, Captain Planet, The Simpsons, and Darkwing Duck figures. 1988 was the last year when toylines for boys did not look cartoony.

The turtle variants for the 2k3 line were ridiculous at times. Gold Ninja Knights? I can recall seeing a t-shirt with Raphael dressed up as a knight back in the early 90's. At the time, Samaurai Leonardo was in stores.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #45
darthwahl56
Mad Scientist

This is a website about four mutant turtles and their rat master/father usually seen fighting mutants/monsters and/or their arch enemy Shredder with his Foot Soldiers in NYC or whatever world they happen to be on in that episode. Jumping the shark has never been more fun than when I first got interested in these characters in the late 80's and the love for Pizza.

The new line hasn't jumped the shark. In fact the figures just released are on time; the squirrel, kirby bat, and mutagen man was shown this last fall on the tv series. Casey Jones jumped the shark a little, because we hadn't seen him in that outfit yet, but he had appeared in the fall as well.

It really is nice to see this figure line going strong right now, since I found my love for this line again in 2012. I probably jumped a shark a few times getting some of the stuff from the early 90's from ebay; turtle variants and ignoring quality issues sometimes. Paint issues could be helped, but seeing some of my original figures in package I can see Playmates has skipped on paint jobs in the past as well, so really that isn't as much of an issue to me.

Jumping the shark makes me think that playmates could make a shark character, then I think back to Street Sharks in the 90's. And have we said the phrase "jumping the shark" a bit to much on this thread or is it just me; it is most likely, just me.
darthwahl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #46
darthwahl56
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I1988 was the last year when toylines for boys did not look cartoony.
Then you missed out on the 90's toys, I remember some pretty looney looking things; street sharks, biker mice from mars, that moo mesa show, marvel stuff still looked pretty tooney, nickelodeon toys, Hook movie toy line, Darkwing duck (90's). I am sure there is more as there was many to choose from. You could even consider the eco warrior gijoe line a bit cartoony, neon colors
Old 02-11-2014, 11:52 PM   #47
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthwahl56 View Post
Jumping the shark makes me think that playmates could make a shark character
This guy has been in need of his own figure for 20 damn years.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #48
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

Quote:

http://i58.tinypic.com/672tqh.jpg
It would be so cool
Old 02-12-2014, 12:21 AM   #49
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:

I once saw a decent custom made from a street shark a few years back so there's that...
Old 02-12-2014, 02:15 AM   #50
darthwahl56
Mad Scientist

Quote:

hell yeah!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #51
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthwahl56 View Post
Then you missed out on the 90's toys, I remember some pretty looney looking things; street sharks, biker mice from mars, that moo mesa show, marvel stuff still looked pretty tooney, nickelodeon toys, Hook movie toy line, Darkwing duck (90's). I am sure there is more as there was many to choose from. You could even consider the eco warrior gijoe line a bit cartoony, neon colors
The first Marvel Super Heroes looked like something you would see in the 1980's. The Hook movie toyline, as well, could have been seen as a late 80's line. Genghis Frog looks nice next to Darkwing, the Police Academy figures, the Wild West Cowboys of the Moo Mesa, Street Sharks and the Biker Mice. Genghis was one of the first ever 90's toys, now that I look back. Those Eco Warrior G.I. Joe figures were too hard to look at in late '91. To be fair, the RAH line jumped with the Cobra La and Battleforce 2000 stuff.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 AM   #52
Wes
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Well said. The original toyline jumped the shark in mid-1989 when Genghis Frog was released. It was over. What were they thinking?! The first wave was perfect. It was a grade A 80's toyline. The mini-series went along with it perfectly. After Genghis Frog, the toyline only got worse. Wacky action Ninja Turtles?
Wait... what? Genghis Frog was awesome. The Wacky Action Turtles were awesome. I got hours of entertainment out of Raphael spinning 'round on his back and Michaelangelo twirling that Technodrome-looking shield thingy as he gleefully tasted the air. And I'd argue that some of the best and most memorable figures in the line came *after* Genghis, not before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadcrab View Post
The only other figures I can recall having that feature were Feudal Shredder and Gen. I suppose it makes a bit more sense for those characters, since the former is a Villain and the latter is a clumsy oaf, but even then... I dunno.
There were a few figures from the Kong line (also by Playmates) that had it as well! It actually worked pretty well for one of the smaller dinosaurs that came with a Kong; he had a pounding feature and the thing had the button on its back. Granted, Kong smashed down with enough force that the feature was fairly unnecessary, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogod View Post
For anyone who thinks the line has jumped the shark now, wait until you see the LARP Turtles. Anyone who every wanted a Mikey that looks like a homeless Peter Pan, you're in for a treat!

IT'S WHAT I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED. I CANNOT WAIT.

Thank you for giving me a reason to live, DG.

(I'm kidding, natch, but I seriously do want it lol)

* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?

Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:41 AM   #53
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Wait... what? Genghis Frog was awesome. The Wacky Action Turtles were awesome.
That is your opinion. Playmates did a complete 360 by releasing figures like Genghis Frog and Ace Duck. Out of the two, Ace Duck had better card art and accessories. As a result, Genghis Frog and General Traag were pegwarmers from '89 all of the way into 1993. The 1988 figures have been
re-issued in 1999, 2009, and 2013, and they sold well. Casey Jones and Usagi Yojimbo were the best figures of '89 for the line. But, even in 1991, toy scalpers were still looking for figures from the first basic wave.

Last edited by mikey0; 02-13-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:49 AM   #54
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Sounds like your nostalgia goggles are on too tight there, bud. The '88 Shredder is memorable only for the fact he was colored entirely wrong, had no shirt on, and was posed so ridiculously that he could barely stand.
The '88 Shredder looked like he was ready to get in combat mode and go postal on the Turtles. I loved it. It was also great that Splinter's cloak/robe could be removed. I know people who took the belts of the '88 Turtles and Shredder. Playmates did a great job with the first wave.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #55
Wes
Mad Scientist

Quote:
But even in 1991, toy scalpers were still looking for figures from the first basic wave.
Wait, what? So the quality/appeal of a line is determined by what toy scalpers are after? Ugh. Ugh. UGH. (Pretend I typed "Ugh." for like the next six pages in this thread.) This is a big part of why I find toy collecting so frustrating these days -- I enjoy toys and just want cool toys, but folks like scalpers show up trying to buy up stock and rip people off and it's just super depressing. They're TOYS, people.

A line jumps the shark when it starts being stupid and STOPS being fun. Genghis Frog and the Wacky Action Turtles were FUN. Therefore -- and yes, of course, this is my opinion -- I'd argue that those figures in no way mark the point at which the vintage line jumped the shark.

* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?

Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #56
billbot85
Mad Scientist

I don't think the Nick 2012 line has jumped the shark, yet. I think it's been fairly on point.

I felt the '88 toyline kinda jumped the shark by the mid-90's when they had WAY too many unnecessary mutants and turtle variants, such as Sgt. Bananas, Half Court, Monty Moose, even Scratch and Hotspot (sorry, not a fan). They just didn't really fit well into the toyline.

Even turtle variants like the Birthday Turtles, Farmer Don, Sumo Turtles or the Pizza Shooter Turtles were just so nuts and unnecessary. Even as a kid those figures weren't appealing to me.

But I guess many toylines have the capability to jump the shark, they'll keep making new and abstract variations of their toys as long as it makes money.

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #57
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbot85 View Post
I don't think the Nick 2012 line has jumped the shark, yet. I think it's been fairly on point.

I felt the '88 toyline kinda jumped the shark by the mid-90's when they had WAY too many unnecessary mutants and turtle variants, such as Sgt. Bananas, Half Court, Monty Moose, even Scratch and Hotspot (sorry, not a fan). They just didn't really fit well into the toyline.

Even turtle variants like the Birthday Turtles, Farmer Don, Sumo Turtles or the Pizza Shooter Turtles were just so nuts and unnecessary. Even as a kid those figures weren't appealing to me.

But I guess many toylines have the capability to jump the shark, they'll keep making new and abstract variations of their toys as long as it makes money.
Genghis Frog was the first ever unnecessary mutant. It all starts there. The vintage line was only great in its first year.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #58
Powder
So tired of this place

It's nice that you have opinions, but you shouldn't treat them as if they're facts.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:23 AM   #59
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Genghis Frog was the first ever unnecessary mutant. It all starts there. The vintage line was only great in its first year.
I was extremely jealous of my friend's Genghis Frog when I was a kid. He had that rad tongue gun, and his little sunglasses. Genghis Frog is the man!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #60
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
I was extremely jealous of my friend's Genghis Frog when I was a kid. He had that rad tongue gun, and his little sunglasses. Genghis Frog is the man!
Genghis Frog does not fit in well with any figure from the first wave. Even figures like Rocksteady have very small eyes. Krang was the last figure that could have been a part of the first basic wave. They should have renamed the toyline in 1989. I'm surprised it took so long for the Archie Comics staff to come up with the name "Mighty Mutanimals" for characters like Leatherhead and Ray Filet.

The vintage line is broken into two seperate toylines really.

1988: The must haves.

1989-1996: The take it or leave its.

I'm not saying that Genghis was a horrible action figure. If Genghis were a pegwarmer today, I'm sure someone would buy it, eventually.