The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-25-2017, 04:43 AM   #241
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Kind of agree with Jeremy Jahns review...he vaguely hints at Marvel fatigue setting in, though denies it's that (yeah, wishful thinking Jeremy)
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:53 AM   #242
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Who is Jeremy Jahns?
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #243
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Who is Jeremy Jahns?
a pretty popular reviewer. He appears on Collider's Movie Talk a lot too
Old 04-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #244
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
a pretty popular reviewer. He appears on Collider's Movie Talk a lot too
What outlet does he review for?

If he's on Collider then that tells me all I need to know.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #245
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
What outlet does he review for?

If he's on Collider then that tells me all I need to know.
He has his own Youtube Channel with a lot of his movie reviews, he even posted his review for this movie.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:04 AM   #246
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Awww man just finished watching this. The ending is so good, much better than that silly ending in the first one. This one is more meaningful and full of heart.

I just love Groot and Rocket. Also I don't get the 80s music much (not my thing I guess) but I'm sure the classic fans enjoy it very much and that's what matters.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:27 AM   #247
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Having seen it yesterday...I actually thought this was a genuine step-up from the first movie. There's some stakes and consequences for everything, and while the overall threat and magnitude of the villain's plan is let down a bit in execution, the final battle is, rare for these movies IMO, fairly well structured.

Rocket definitely evolves more as a character in it, and you wonder where everyone would be at the end of this one if he hadn't did what he did at the beginning....

Drax and Mantis are the best too.

Still mixed, and Baby Groot got on my nerves in two very drawn out scenes, but it wasn't too bad.

Most of the song choices sucked, but the last track is impossible to dislike, or resist emoting over. Perfect choice, and on reflection, probably the only appropriate one.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #248
Vicky82
Emperor

I saw this today, I really enjoyed it, Baby Groot was so cute.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #249
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The movie isn't out in the US yet, and it's already making $101 Million worldwide.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/guard...ldwide-a150746
Old 05-01-2017, 03:12 AM   #250
Mayhem
Foot Elite

I must admit, I didn't realise, Europe got it before the US?! It was out here Friday.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #251
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Concept Art of Stallone as Darkhawk and Michael Rosenbaum as Martinex T'Naga
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/guard...acters-a150837

Old 05-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #252
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I liked it. I think it had more meat in the characters than the first one did, I just didn't like the lengthly split between the group for the bulk of the film.

But yeah, I dig. Great soundtrack, cool villain, solid ending.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #253
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I just saw it, I liked it. Also one of the better Stan Lee cameos.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #254
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's a clip showing Stallone's character.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #255
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Spoiler:
During the funeral sequence I could have sworn that Cate Blanchett made a cameo appearance as Hela (foreshadowing her role in Thor 3). I guess this was actually a woman named Michelle Yeoh in a similar getup, no relation to the character at all. I'm just curious, was I the only one to get all confused about that?
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #256
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Gonna see it tomorrow in 3D.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #257
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Saw it for the second time tonight, I really love this movie. I can't even nitpick or anything because it was honestly so much fun and just a joy from start to finish. Can't wait to see it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Spoiler:
During the funeral sequence I could have sworn that Cate Blanchett made a cameo appearance as Hela (foreshadowing her role in Thor 3). I guess this was actually a woman named Michelle Yeoh in a similar getup, no relation to the character at all. I'm just curious, was I the only one to get all confused about that?
Spoiler:
My brother and I thought the same thing, it really looked just liked her
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:05 AM   #258
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

What? Michelle Yeoh looks nothing like her. Has nobody seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

Saw it tonight.

* Music didn't do as much for me as it did in part 1. It actively felt like a gimmick this time around, especially the scenes with characters (sometimes not even the Guardians) finding in-story excuses to play songs from Star-Lord's Awesome tapes.
* More heart, everything feels more earned this time around.
* A lot of good laughs but man, a lot of misses too. Probably more misses than hits. But there are some really good hits. I wished they dialed it back a bit. There doesn't need to be a joke, or an attempt at one, literally every 10 seconds.
* Great ensemble cast, and they seem much more comfortable this time around. If you removed anyone of the main, core cast from this movie (minus Groot, probably), the whole thing would fall apart.
Spoiler:
* The villain was good! I had no idea Kurt Russell was the big bad. I assumed Ego/his dad would just be a small part or plot device. Nice, climactic final battle.
* Baby Groot didn't do much for me. Apparently he did for my daughter. She loved him.
* I liked the execution of it, but I didn't like how telegraphed Yondu's death was. When he actually does his sacrifice it would have been so much more powerful if it was a complete surprise. As soon as Rocket gives his teary goodbye to Yondu, with Yondu basically admitting he's going to kill himself... that impact is lost. We're just actively waiting to see how and where he does the sacrifice. It'd be like, in Armageddon, if Bruce Willis had a scene right before the surprise moment when he pushed and took Ben Affleck's spot on the asteroid to die, there was a scene with Bruce telling some other character goodbye. That would ruin the whole thing!
* Wasn't really sold on Rocket and Yondu being best friends after one quick, kind of forced scene where "we're the same."

* Overall, I guess a notch above the first, even though it feels less fresh this time?

That's about it.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-06-2017 at 03:18 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:15 AM   #259
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Saw it last night, probably enjoyed it more than the first film, but I wasn't one of those people going gaga over the franchise to begin with (unlike my girlfriend heh). I suppose the music tastes is going to be down to what you're into, and how old you are. I'm an old duffer, so I pretty much knew all of the music. But the opening sequence with ELO had me laughing because of the music, Fleetwood Mac is always FTW, and the use of Cat Stevens was perfect (partly because that's MY choice for that version of that song, considering he wrote it, it was the one I grew up hearing).

Best parts for me? The end scene with Groot, anyone in the UK will know that will remind them of a certain Harry Enfield character; Kraglin trying to "chat up" Nebula when she's going to leave; and just Drax in general, he got the most development and laughs, the penis scene had us in stitches.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 AM   #260
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I did a double take when I saw Michelle Yeoh. It's funny, there was a minor rumbling in the theater when Stallone appeared, like, "is that Sylvester Stallone?". Of course it's Sylvester Stallone, who else do you think it is?! Then he shows up again with Michelle Yeoh... not a whimper, but my friend and I look at each other like groupies at a Beatles concert. It was an Expendables moment - two of our childhood/teenage idols in the same scene. I went home and watched Super Cop.