The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 01:14 AM   #681
neatoman
Emperor

Yeah see, due to statements like "I want five seasons but I could totally finish it in three", I kinda doubt he himself wanted five seasons. Judging from how the story actually played out and reading between the lines, it sounds more like "The studio told me three seasons to start with but I could totally stretch that out to five if they wanted me to".
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 05-24-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:41 AM   #682
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Yeah see, statements like "I want five seasons but I could totally finish it in three" I kinda doubt he himself wanted five seasons. Judging from how the story actually played out and reading between the lines, it sounds more like "The studio told me three seasons to start with but I could totally stretch that out to five if they wanted me to".
It could very well be that the space arc and season 5 were ideas thought out after Ciro planned out the main story. When you look at the overall story of the Nick show, you could fit it into three seasons pretty comfortably.

Season 1: Introduction to the turtles, Splinter, April, The Foot Clan, Kraang and so on. Ends with the big showdown between Shredder/Splinter revealing Karai's backstory and the turtles thwarting the Kraang invasion.

Season 2: Turtles fight the foot clan/Karai after the Kraang's failed invasion attempt but later on discover that the Kraang are still active within New York. They eventually score against Shredder by getting Karai on their side until she gets mutated. Ends with the Kraang invasion and forces the turtles, April and Casey to retreat to the farmhouse.

Season 3: After spending some time at the farmhouse, the turtles, April and Casey come back and successfully defeat the Kraang with the help of the Mutanimals, forcing them all back into Dimension X and making earth safe once again. However, the Shredder is still loose and tries to get Karai back via mind control which fails and ultimately ends with Karai de-mutating and joining the turtles. After failing, the Shredder goes into a full rage mode and leads the final battle against the turtles. Ends with the Shredder killing Splinter, and Leonardo then killing Shredder and our heroes defeating the remaining henchmen for good.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 05-24-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:54 AM   #683
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Yeah see, statements like "I want five seasons but I could totally finish it in three" I kinda doubt he himself wanted five seasons. Judging from how the story actually played out and reading between the lines, it sounds more like "The studio told me three seasons to start with but I could totally stretch that out to five if they wanted me to".
Nick didn't spend $60 million to kill the show in only 3 seasons. They likely wanted it to last a long time. 5 seasons is fine, but it probably would have went on for 7 if the movies didn't bomb. People easily forget how much everything is connected, from the movies to the toyline to the ratings, etc.

Pretty much only IDW's sales are separate from this since they license the IP out to them.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:59 AM   #684
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nick didn't spend $60 million to kill the show in only 3 seasons. They likely wanted it to last a long time. 5 seasons is fine, but it probably would have went on for 7 if the movies didn't bomb. People easily forget how much everything is connected, from the movies to the toyline to the ratings, etc.

Pretty much only IDW's sales are separate from this since they license the IP out to them.
To me it sounds like the initial plan was five seasons but they could change it to three if the show wasn't doing well. The only bit which would've been changed would be the second half of season three to be the final showdown between the turtles and the foot.

7 seasons sounds a bit too much to me, especially considering the previous two animated shows had lost quite a bit of their popularity by that time. Instead of taking the risk a third time by continuing the show, it makes more sense for them to plan five seasons and then a reboot to try and keep the franchise fresh and profitable.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 05-24-2017 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:13 AM   #685
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

Uh, how exactly would the movies play into the show getting two more seasons? They're making another TMNT show as we speak and it's not like this show was a tie-in to the movies, they're perfectly fine with making more TMNT, just not more of this version of TMNT. The closest I can think of is that it might have been made to create hype for the turtles amongst kids, making them more likely to want to watch the movies but it's not clearly connected to the movies in any other way.

I mean if the show looked like this you might have had a point.
Hahahaha!
Old 05-24-2017, 02:23 AM   #686
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Kudos to whoever made those designs, I really like them and think they're perfect!

Even the nostrils I don't mind in this picture, it makes them look more turtle-like without going into the realm of hulk and shrek.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:05 AM   #687
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I get the feeling that a new show was planned from early on since Ciro said that he wanted to tell his story in 5 seasons which sounds just enough to prevent it from going stale while at the same time it would allow Nick to extend this generation of tmnt beyond the Nick show and profit off the brand even more.

Maybe the people at Nick looked at the decreasing popularity trend of the 2 previous animated shows around the 5th season and concluded that they shouldn't stretch out their show for too long, especially in this Internet age of always having new stuff and getting It fast.
or they saw the dropping ratings.

i wonder how the toy sales are doing too.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #688
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I really wish Marvel had bought tmnt. I still hope for that someday.
so they could ruin the Tmnt the same way they do their own characters?
Old 05-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #689
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Uh, how exactly would the movies play into the show getting two more seasons? They're making another TMNT show as we speak and it's not like this show was a tie-in to the movies, they're perfectly fine with making more TMNT, just not more of this version of TMNT. The closest I can think of is that it might have been made to create hype for the turtles amongst kids, making them more likely to want to watch the movies but it's not clearly connected to the movies in any other way.
The movies were also largely aimed at kids watching the Nick cartoon. All movies that come out during a popular cartoon show expect some carry over from fans of both to watch. It doesn't matter how different the movie turtles look from the cartoon, it's the same way the original 90's live action movies were also aimed at kids watching the cartoon to follow despite how different the movies were (no Krang/Bebop/Rocksteady, no robot Foot, etc).

Why do you think the box office sales of movies 1 and 2 were so high? They were that high because all the kids who watched the cartoon in the 90's begged their parents to go take them to see the movies. Also the 4kids series was kept running largely because they knew about the 2007 movie and the possibility of it getting a sequel, only when they realized it wasn't getting one they realized it was time for the 4kids run to end. The last episode of BTTS aired in 2009...two years after the movie.

The movies bombing in theaters along with the Nick cartoon's declining ratings (which is mostly Nick's fault for not scheduling new episodes properly then anything probably), is why they're going for a fresh new reboot relaunch in 2018.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #690
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
I guess it's not the best time to wish for Marve to acquire tmnt. I'd agree with anyone saying their comic division is a mess right now.

That said, I still think it leads to a better longterm outcome than Viacom owning TMNT (Who, to be fair, have done some great work). Eventually, the Marvel comics will get back on track.

And it would still imply a much better movie than the Platinum Dunes one. Marvel Film Studio's is pretty focused on adapting the original comic story lines. Now imagine that for TMNT.

As for the cartoons, I really couldn't care much less whether they would improve or decline under Marvel. Prob the latter, but it's an acceptable loss.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #691
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
their comics division, from what i heard, is a social justice warrior mess.

they'd probably make shredder chinese so as not to offend china with japanese images....and a 50 year old white woman ;o).

exaggerating of course, but not by much based on what i've seen of the female thor comic and some of the lines they have her spout.

a Marvel TMNT MOVIE might have a chance at being good though.
their movie division seems to know what sells.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #692
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I guess it's not the best time to wish for Marve to acquire tmnt. I'd agree with anyone saying their comic division is a mess right now.

That said, I still think it leads to a better longterm outcome than Viacom owning TMNT (Who, to be fair, have done some great work). Eventually, the Marvel comics will get back on track.

And it would still imply a much better movie than the Platinum Dunes one. Marvel Film Studio's is pretty focused on adapting the original comic story lines. Now imagine that for TMNT.

As for the cartoons, I really couldn't care much less whether they would improve or decline under Marvel. Prob the latter, but it's an acceptable loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
their comics division, from what i heard, is a social justice warrior mess.

they'd probably make shredder chinese so as not to offend china with japanese images....and a 50 year old white woman ;o).

exaggerating of course, but not by much based on what i've seen of the female thor comic and some of the lines they have her spout.

a Marvel TMNT MOVIE might have a chance at being good though.
their movie division seems to know what sells.
it honestly is a shame what's become of Marvel Comics.
there was a time about 90% of my pull-list were all Marvel titles.
eventually the endless cross-overs made minced meat of my wallet and drove me away.

i tried coming back with the re-launching Amazing Spider-Man.
but after 6 issues the title started a massive cross-over, and once again i hit the bricks.
and now with the constant character retconning it's just become a joke.

DC isn't much better.
every title i was reading from them had a slew of cross-overs and tie-ins.
eventually i got sick of it and dropped them too.

thankfully IDW for the most part has been actually focused on good quality story-telling.
it's one of the few comic series i can enjoy re-reading again and again.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:02 PM   #693
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
Yeah see, due to statements like "I want five seasons but I could totally finish it in three", I kinda doubt he himself wanted five seasons. Judging from how the story actually played out and reading between the lines, it sounds more like "The studio told me three seasons to start with but I could totally stretch that out to five if they wanted me to".
I was there to hear him say it and I continued talking to him and Brandon at their booth for awhile after the panel. He wanted five, but could do three if they had to.

I can't really make it any simpler than, "I heard it from the man himself."
Old 05-26-2017, 10:15 PM   #694
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:

I mean if the show looked like this you might have had a point.
http://img13.deviantart.net/0692/i/2...0y-d7zp787.png
That image makes me deeply upset and irrationally angry
Old 05-26-2017, 10:35 PM   #695
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Snip
You should check out Image, lots of good stuff over there
Old 05-27-2017, 03:32 AM   #696
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Rat King is dead, Shredder is dead, Splinter is dead all for good this time. There is only so much one can do when key characters are killed off. They have gotten darker than expected and want a lighter tone. Instead of pulling a lighter shade all of a sudden it wanted to do it in a restart. Not to mention reboot gets a fresh start and like a comic reboot a temporary spike. The question is how much of the spike will stick. I am not used to the idea one show ends and another begins. No Next Mutation does not count.

Another thing of note is the title is the episode title of the first episode of the 2012 cartoon. A subtitle perhaps which could change by the season?
Didn't they want to make the 2012 series even darker originally?
Old 05-27-2017, 03:54 AM   #697
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
That image makes me deeply upset and irrationally angry
Just remember it's a fake and nobody will ever remember those movies fondly enough to make it real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Didn't they want to make the 2012 series even darker originally?
Well I know Splinter was meant to be dead from the start and Nickelodeon wanted to turn the pitch into a sitcom to Ciro's protest. So from that... Yes and no? The final show is essentially a compromise of the pitch, the tone Nickelodeon wanted, the concepts/characters Playmates wanted and of course the crew that ended up working on it.

That said, the early concept art doesn't seem to imply it's that different in tone. Character designs, the details of character dynamics, a few story elements, the actual Klunk instead of the Ice Cream abomination, those are different but the actual tone seems to be similar to the end product.

Hahahaha!
Old 05-27-2017, 04:10 AM   #698
Overlord

Crossovers

Quote:
it honestly is a shame what's become of Marvel Comics.
there was a time about 90% of my pull-list were all Marvel titles.
eventually the endless cross-overs made minced meat of my wallet and drove me away.

i tried coming back with the re-launching Amazing Spider-Man.
but after 6 issues the title started a massive cross-over, and once again i hit the bricks.
and now with the constant character retconning it's just become a joke.

DC isn't much better.
every title i was reading from them had a slew of cross-overs and tie-ins.
eventually i got sick of it and dropped them too.

thankfully IDW for the most part has been actually focused on good quality story-telling.
it's one of the few comic series i can enjoy re-reading again and again.
Crossovers with who? Themeslves from alternate realities?
Old 05-27-2017, 04:31 AM   #699
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Crossovers with who? Themeslves from alternate realities?
Yes actually.

You know the shared universe concept? Normally it is (or at least was) an excuse to have a character from another book just pop in once in a while without making a big fuss about it, very casual crossovers if you will. But Marvel/DC have really started to abuse this concept with massive crossover events, Here's the table of content for the entire Civil War II event.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_...itles_involved

Basically, they want you to read as many of their books as possible, they no longer seem content with you just reading what you like...

In the case of Spider-Man, he's talking about this mess. Not nearly as frustrating to keep track of and finding the time for but still pretty annoying.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider...itles_involved
Hahahaha!
Old 05-27-2017, 05:47 AM   #700
Overlord

Marvel Comics

I think the idea of Marvel Comics buying the TMNT should have its own thread.
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters