The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-20-2021, 10:31 PM   #101
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm shocked and appalled that someone on this goddamn forum started a goddamn My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic conversation and I wasn't goddamn invited. It's like y'all don't even KNOW me.

Also, it's irresponsible to talk about all the awesome stuff that show does (well... DID ), while leaving out all the super-smart background gags and references that are just for the grown-ups. Like the Big Lebowski ponies at the bowling alley, or the various A Clockwork Orange references, stuff like that. Very, very sharp.

Honestly can't remember which episode it was my wife and I first saw... Season 1 or 2 finale, I think? I don't remember, but I'll never forget the general experience. It was just on, like, constantly at some point a few years ago, and we were like "Jesus, let's just watch one stupid episode of this stupid show to see just how stupid it is. Everybody likes it, so you just know it's gotta be awful. Let's watch it and rip on it!"

Then like 5 minutes in, one of the jokes gets me completely off guard, and I'm like "Alright... that was actually rather clever." And like halfway through, we both "forgot" to keep making fun of it... then it was over, and it was a two-parter so we're like, "Well... I mean, might as well see the second half, since it's on." And more and more often, something makes one of us "crack", and we keep catching each other physically trying to swallow a laugh before the other one notices. Then it's like One Joke finally hits so hard I can't swallow it, and I'm like "Alright, this show's actually pretty funny," and she's like "Oh THANK GOD, I didn't wanna be the one to break first because I thought you'd make fun of me!"

So it's the Season Finale of whichever - please forgive me, I've seen the entire series multiple times but entirely out of order so I can't remember what's what - and stuff's building, it's building... and I'm like "Y'know what'd be kinda stupid, but perfect, is if Right Here they just did some kinda big Lord of the Rings type of Epic Battle Sh*t"... and then immediately that's what they f*cking DID! And that's when it broke me. Like "Alright, I take it all back, this is a really good show," and she's like "Yeah, I wasn't gonna say anything unless you did but this is actually the best goddamn thing I've seen in years and I really can't believe I'm saying that." She especially usually hates "girly crap", too, that's the thing, but... I'unno, that show just has a way about it.

After that we just started watching it just about every day, for years and years. I've got all of the seven Seasons they put out on DVD - wish someone would put out the last two, just isn't right to leave it incomplete - a few plush dolls, and some vinyl figures of the Mane 6 which I paid probably way too much for but I don't care. I even wore my Rainbow Dash T-shirt during my ring entrance one time, about a year ago actually. That was awesome.

I mean, I go on. But I could actually just keep going. I just love it so, so much. I can't even really think of anything that compares to it on the, "This SHOULD Be Awful, But Instead It's Brilliant" scale. It pretty much subverts all expectations... in a GOOD way. And the voice cast... the voice cast is so, SO good. The characters have SO much personality it's unreal.

IDW also produced the MLP comics, of which I bought almost all of the Omnibus books recently. And they, too, are SO good. Since it's still-panels and not animation they can cram every panel with tons of in-jokes and sight gags. There's a Wiki on background gags in the MLP comics and it's like longer than the Bible. I say with zero hesitation, for every bit as much as I don't like what the IDW TMNT book has been like for a long time, I love IDW's MLP comics in equal or greater measure. They just take everything good about the show and turn it up to 11 since there's fewer restrictions.

I guess if a person REALLY just isn't a big fan of whimsy, they might not like MLP: FiM. But I'm about as jaded as it gets, so if *I* fell in love with it I'm really not sure I'd wanna spend a lot of time around anyone who actively hates it. I don't think anyone more cynical than me is probably very much fun; I'm probably the limit.

Anyways, yeah, you guys better f*cking call me next time you're doing MLP talk, you really let me down this time. I'll forgive you this time, but don't let it happen again.

Also, if anyone ever wants to talk about MLP at length or otherwise, feel free to PM me, even if I hate you. I'll get over it long enough to talk MLP, I swear. I promise that I love that show more than I hate you. Probably.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:21 AM   #102
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm shocked and appalled that someone on this goddamn forum started a goddamn My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic conversation and I wasn't goddamn invited. It's like y'all don't even KNOW me.
Please accept my deepest, most heartfelt apologies. I didn't realized there was another man of culture here and I am new.

You see the new CG movie?

Last edited by Bahamut810; 10-21-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #103
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Also, if anyone ever wants to talk about MLP at length or otherwise
I think you just broke the otherwise.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:46 PM   #104
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
You see the new CG movie?
Not yet, but I'll get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I think you just broke the otherwise.
I break lots of stuff.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:20 PM   #105
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
I break lots of stuff.
You break it, you buy it, mister.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:52 PM   #106
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
You break it, you buy it, mister.
I buy lots of stuff.