The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-05-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

So have Karai, Triceratons, Fugitoid, Renet/Savanti now become mainstream characters?

As we know most of these characters were generally Mirage-only characters until the 2k3 series brought them into cartoons for the first time. The Triceratons did appear in 1 episode of the original cartoon in Season 7 but it was very late into its run. These characters weren't used in the Archie TMNT comics either.

Karai wasn't even created until 1992 when she debuted in Mirage, at that point the original cartoon was in Season 6.

However now it seems like Karai, Triceratons, Fugitoid, Renet and Savanti Romero have become "mainstream" characters and will continue to appear in most series going forward. They've in 2k3 and Nick, as well as IDW.

What do you think? I suspect they'll appear in the 2018 show as well.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Karai definitely as she's been used enough by various iterations at this point. I won't be surprised if she shows up in the next show. The others, eh, not quite as mainstream imo. Not expecting them to show up unless they somehow fit into the mystic premise of the show, which might be a tough order for some of them.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
ABrown
Banned

I'm gonna say that they're definitely not at the point of being recognized by the average Joe on the street as, say April. Does that mean that they won't likely be featured in future TMNT incarnations? Absolutely not. I 100% expect to see them again.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It really seems that way, and I think at least a few are climbing in recognition. Mainly Karai.

(But oh man, can you imagine if Fugitoid was introduced as a character in FW? He'd probably be just as iconic of a sidekick as April...because what kid doesn't love a neurotic robot?)
Old 11-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
sdp
-

Karai
Triceratons
Fugitoid
-
-
-
-
Renet/Savanti

Order of recognizabillty by the average "casual" fan, Karai has been accepted very well, Triceratons not so much because of its appearances in shows but also the original toy was really popular even if in the OT they weren't used outside a quick cameo. Fugitoid I doubt anyone but fans can recognize, and Renet/Savanti are as obscure villains as you can get.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

To be fair I doubt your "casual" fan will ever recognize any TMNT villains outside of Shredder, Krang, Bebop/Rocksteady, and maybe Baxter or Leatherhead and Rat King.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The problem is Karai is too cemented in her role as some sort of second in command for Shredder, sometime even his daughter.

I want to so some future incarnation that has her back as head of the Japan Foot coming to New York to clean up Shredder's mess.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
sdp
-

By casual fan I mean the average person on the internet who says they like TMNT but haven't really watched it since they were kids besides maybe the movies and go by pure nostalgia but don't actually care.

Then you have the "TMNT fans" who aren't hardcore like maybe most on this forum but would know most of those characters, except maybe Savanti Romero. These are also the fans that claim they've been fans since Mirage since it's what's cool to say on the internet.

The casual fan in real life won't even know Leatherhead/Karai
Old 11-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

LOL, I remember when the 4kids series was airing for the first time people were like, "Who is Renet? Who is Savanti Romero?" and people said, "Hey I recognize Karai from the SNES Tournament Fighters videogame!"

It's hard to believe there was once a time Karai was only recognizable outside of the comics as a boss in a Super Nintendo fighting game.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #10
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
By casual fan I mean the average person on the internet who says they like TMNT but haven't really watched it since they were kids besides maybe the movies and go by pure nostalgia but don't actually care.
Well it depends on what incarnation the averge person grew up with, if the person is under 26 and watched TMNT as kids then they would recogonize Karai and Leatherhead
Old 11-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Just think, there was also once a time where one could voice their opinions of TMNT, be it good or bad, without some random annoyance jumping in to correct them and tell them how something must be wrong with them for not agreeing with him. Those were the days.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #12
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Well it depends on what incarnation the averge person grew up with, if the person is under 26 and watched TMNT as kids then they would recogonize Karai and Leatherhead
You'd be surprised by how many kids born in the mid 90s can only recognize the OT even though they were still kids when the 2k3 show came out. Not that many people grew up with 2k3, Kids WB dominated public television saturday morning cartoons and by then most kids had already migrated Nick or Cartoon Network for cartoons 24/7.

So yeah, the reach of how many kids recognize 2k3 is actually a lot smaller, I'm not saying literally no one as a kid saw the show, just that the impact it made is exponentially smaller.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:07 PM   #13
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
You'd be surprised by how many kids born in the mid 90s can only recognize the OT even though they were still kids when the 2k3 show came out. Not that many people grew up with 2k3, Kids WB dominated public television saturday morning cartoons and by then most kids had already migrated Nick or Cartoon Network for cartoons 24/7.

So yeah, the reach of how many kids recognize 2k3 is actually a lot smaller, I'm not saying literally no one as a kid saw the show, just that the impact it made is exponentially smaller.
I mean Miguzi showed the TMNT 2k3 series so that probably got lots of traction
Old 11-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #14
sdp
-

I started watching TMNT in Miguzi but they only got one or two seasons for a little bit before removing it. I remember being mad since at the time it was my only way to watch 2k3, which lead to me not watching it until S4.

So yeah TMNT didn't do very well on Miguzi since they got rid of it rather quickly, I doubt it was there for more than a year.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:13 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

CN had Seasons 1-3, and I think they got Season 4 later.

I don't think they ever aired Ninja Tribunal or Fast Forward though. CN dropped the show from their block by then.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #16
sdp
-

Miguzi definitely didn't get S3, I remember trying to watch 2k3, somehow I missed all the foot related episodes They might've gotten season 2, I think they did, but it never got 3. They were taken off of CN, they didn't last long there, I was disappointed since I didn't have local channels in my house so I couldn't watch saturday morning cartoons and CN was my only option.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, back then you couldn't want episodes on the internet.

Nowadays most people don't care what channels air shows anymore or at what time, now most people just watch episodes online. Man, the early 2000's were almost like the 90's where if you missed episodes you were out of luck till you bought DVDs.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:51 PM   #18
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I’d say Karai, Fugitoid, and the Triceratons are pretty memorable characters that even casual fans or people looking back at the franchise will be able to remember.
They’ve each appeared in more than one animated series and were the focus of many scenes/episodes, some have been in video games, and they’ve had numerous toys and merchandise made of them.

As for Renet and ‘Vanty, they aren’t mainstream at all. Their animated appearances have been short and pretty forgettable and we’ve yet to receive any figures of them, and barely any merch. And unfortunately it doesn’t seem like that’ll change.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #19
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I'm unsure about Renet/Savanti and to a certain extent, Fugitoid, but I am almost fully positive that Karai and the Triceratons have become enough of a staple in tmnt to appear in Rise.

Even if we don't get some characters like Renet and Fugitoid directly, there will always be some sort of other character to fill the roles of time travellers and super intelligent robots/cyborgs.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:55 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think Fugitoid will continue to appear as long as the Triceratons are featured, they're pretty commonly linked in all universes. Plus he's the only major talking robot character.

Renet I think has gained more mainstream acceptance, it's a lot easier to do time travel stories when you have a character for it than for it to just happen randomly.