The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 07-18-2019, 11:07 AM   #21
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I still use it, but I look at it less. Every day it's just the same 100 friends going, "Trump said this thing! wtf! Unfriend me now if you agree," etc..
Surprised so many of your friends still post in there regularly. Most people seem to think that FB is kinda "dead" these days.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Surprised so many of your friends still post in there regularly. Most people seem to think that FB is kinda "dead" these days.
It's gotten angrier and politicized but I definitely wouldn't say "kinda dead." Dead in the sense that people used to share lots of funny anecdotes and creative stuff and now it's just people playing the "who can show the most anger/outrage" game.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #23
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
It's gotten angrier and politicized but I definitely wouldn't say "kinda dead." Dead in the sense that people used to share lots of funny anecdotes and creative stuff and now it's just people playing the "who can show the most anger/outrage" game.
I feel like Twitter is where most of the political stuff happens, though.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I feel like Twitter is where most of the political stuff happens, though.
Maybe. I hear about a lot of people getting banned from it from getting too ragey.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Maybe. I hear about a lot of people getting banned from it from getting too ragey.
Well, that's where Trump's two main social media accounts are, so you can imagine how much people argue there.

Ofc FB has political crap as well, but it's mostly memes and jokes nowadays. Of course this could depend on people's friend/social circles. I'm only talking from experience.

And by Fb being "kinda dead" I mean in the sense that it's not as active as it was in 2010-2012 where everyone was playing games and updating their status and uploading photos on their profile nearly every day. Nowadays I mostly see the same 4-5 people posting regularly. The rest haven't updated their status or posted any photo in ages.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
And by Fb being "kinda dead" I mean in the sense that it's not as active as it was in 2010-2012 where everyone was playing games and updating their status and uploading photos on their profile nearly every day. Nowadays I mostly see the same 4-5 people posting regularly. The rest haven't updated their status or posted any photo in ages.
The same people that used to post still -- largely -- post, just maybe not as much and not the same kind of content. And when people seem to hit a certain age, profile pictures stop being a thing and they just start posting weird sh** for a profile picture instead.

Yeah, I remember all the FB games. People would innundate me with invitations to play this or that, Farmville, etc.. I think the decline in that has less to do with people leaving FB and more to do with the rise in cell phone games.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #27
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
The same people that used to post still -- largely -- post, just maybe not as much and not the same kind of content. And when people seem to hit a certain age, profile pictures stop being a thing and they just start posting weird sh** for a profile picture instead.

Yeah, I remember all the FB games. People would innundate me with invitations to play this or that, Farmville, etc.. I think the decline in that has less to do with people leaving FB and more to do with the rise in cell phone games.
Oh that's a good point, actually. I used to play Farmville but eventually got bored of it.

The last time someone sent me game invites on FB was like 4 years ago or so. I got like 5 requests from 5 different people on the same day. Someone else did as well and posted as their status "the next person to send me an invite to that stupid game will be defriended, and that's final".

Sometime ago I checked a few profiles of people from my friends list to see if they had updated anything lately and their profiles looked dead as hell. Like, their last status or profile picture update had been in 2015 already.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:14 PM   #28
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Use it every day. I use the messenger for texting those that you trust enough to message out of work but not enough to give out your actual phone number to.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:13 AM   #29
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Yes, but sadly forums are dying. Reddit is the closest very popular thing there is today to forums.
Such answers and questions websites were also more popular a few years ago.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:08 AM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I only know of Yahoo Answers and Quora. The former was really lousy. The latter is a bit better but still not that great.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #31
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I actually use it more lately, mostly to keep in touch with my daughter and her adopted fam, a few friends and former coworkers, and as a forum to keep informed on a few issues I am passionate about. (Mostly environmental groups, women's health issue advocates, and the like.)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #32
Overlord

Quote:
I only know of Yahoo Answers and Quora. The former was really lousy. The latter is a bit better but still not that great.
You also had Answerbag, Answers and Questions and many others. Some of them, like Answerbag, are sitll around but it's nothing what it was 10 years ago.

https://www.answerbag.com/
Old 07-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #33
Prowler
Emperor

Never heard of Answerbag until now.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #34
Mr Salk
Thug

Quote:
Most of Google's web-searches don't click past the first-page of results and the Google Answer-Box.
Mr Salk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #35
Overlord

Funadvice

Funadvice was also popular once.

https://www.funadvice.com/
Old 07-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #36
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Funadvice was also popular once.

https://www.funadvice.com/
I've never liked such type of websites tbh. Always found it a better option to just try and google for the answer myself or ask someone I know irl or an online friend for advice if I needed any.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:15 PM   #37
neatoman
Emperor

I use facebook when my associates insist on using it for communication and to log into other things when I forgot the password, other than that it's a practically worthless thing to have. Literally the only reason I got it ten years ago was because a friend wouldn't stop bugging me about it.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #38
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I use facebook when my associates insist on using it for communication and to log into other things when I forgot the password, other than that it's a practically worthless thing to have. Literally the only reason I got it ten years ago was because a friend wouldn't stop bugging me about it.
I've never liked the whole linking Facebook with everything feature, so I've always avoided using it.

When I first read "ten years ago" I was like "what"... but then I thought about it and realised that it has indeed been about 10 years since FB became available for everyone worldwide. Time flies.

Yes, it's kinda useless for the most part but it's the only way I have to keep in touch with a few people I no longer see on a daily basis. So I mostly keep it for that and also due to out of habit.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #39
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

It's still the best place to keep in touch with a large chunk of family (especially older or less tech-savvy ones) and former schoolmates. The groups feature is also great if you utilize it properly and get into some well-moderated groups for specific interests.

I don't love Facebook by any means, but it has a good niche as far as I'm concerned.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:17 AM   #40
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

I've deactivated my account, but not really ready to make the final step in deleting my account. I really only keep it just to maintain connections from old classmates and previous workplaces, but time passes and the relationships don't get maintained, so communication is very rare. Anyone who I want to frequently communicate with, is now on my cellphone.

It's funny when I first started out on Facebook most of my friends and family members were constantly urging me to register onto it. Now most of those that did, hardly ever do use it, or have deactivated/deleted their accounts.

What was most annoying was when classmates or friends (or who I thought were friends at the time), would merely send invites, but would never send any comments (from the few invites I started to accept) or personal messages to me. I quickly learned it was more of their intention to know what I was doing rather than any genuine interest about me or how I was doing. From then on, I still have a lot of invites that I have never even responded to from over 10 years now. As time passed, I saw Facebook became more of a popularity contest than anything else, and my interest rapidly waned. It was feeling like high school all over again. I hardly put any accurate personal information (except an email address if someone actually did want to personally connect with me), and all my pictures were only very small collections of my family and I. I knew then that Facebook's "privacy" standards were anything but a sure thing, which is why I put such bland content on there. So if anybody did hack into it, the most they would see are generic family pictures and ceremonies (weddings and graduations), but all those photos I have already deleted just to not have it on there anymore.

Quote:
I still use it, but I look at it less. Every day it's just the same 100 friends going, "Trump said this thing! wtf! Unfriend me now if you agree," etc..
Quote:
It's not necessarily the post of politics for me, I actually welcome it, but the cumulative effect of: 1) The incessant day after day post (flooding the Facebook newsfeed), 2) being the primary topic of their posts, and 3) the ultimatum of unfriending if you don't exactly agree with my political viewpoints. Fortunately, I only had about one-quarter of my Facebook social circle doing that, and one of them was a local campaign manager for Hillary Clinton.

For me, it kinda died down after the 2016 election at least in my social circle. Then again, I maybe only visit my Facebook page once every 4-6 months whenever I momentarily reactivate it.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 08-01-2019 at 02:24 AM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote