The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

New Kevin Eastman interview, mentions the PD films

http://www.thenational.ae/blogs/scen...-kevin-eastman

Apparently the Platinum Dunes movies possess "the darker edge of the comic books."

Oh, Kevin.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Apparently the Platinum Dunes movies possess "the darker edge of the comic books."

Oh, Kevin.
I knew without reading he'd have nothing but good things to say.

I really can't take the man seriously. If it's TMNT, he approves. That's it. I appreciate his work and his enthusiasm, but he has pretty much zero credibility with me.

"Lost Angeles", huh? What happened to his "Fistful of Blood?" Did that already tank? I read the first two issues and it's staple Eastman run-and-gun with some blood-and-boobs thrown in for fun.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I knew without reading he'd have nothing but good things to say.

I really can't take the man seriously. If it's TMNT, he approves. That's it. I appreciate his work and his enthusiasm, but he has pretty much zero credibility with me.

"Lost Angeles", huh? What happened to his "Fistful of Blood?" Did that already tank? I read the first two issues and it's staple Eastman run-and-gun with some blood-and-boobs thrown in for fun.
I mean this is the same Eastman who thought Next Mutation was a good idea
Old 07-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
I've found that Bodycount best sums up his approach:

Run and gun, blood and boobs. Loud noise, no intelligence.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Or more interestingly promised it would feature "older, angrier, grittier Turtles."
Old 07-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Almost as bad as Kevin comparing the 2014 film's fight scenes to The Raid.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Oh, Kevin.
Well, if we're being honest here, "the darker edge of the comic books." was rather superficial in retrospect.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
"the darker edge of the comic books."
I can't really speak to being too familiar with the comics at this point in time, but even then the darkness of those films is pretty limited...

Darkest part of the second is probably just the mood and conflict between the Turtles themselves.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

There's a difference between darkness and conflict.

Platinum Dunes has ZERO darkness. Darkness is Splinter forced to consume rats to survive, or the Turtles wondering what their role in City at War is and if all of the deaths and violence aren't their own fault...

Comic book films like The Dark Knight or Captain America Civil War have "darkness" in them.

Hell, some Pixar films have more darkness in them than anything PD has ever done.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #10
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
There's a difference between darkness and conflict.

Platinum Dunes has ZERO darkness. Darkness is Splinter forced to consume rats to survive, or the Turtles wondering what their role in City at War is and if all of the deaths and violence aren't their own fault...

Comic book films like The Dark Knight or Captain America Civil War have "darkness" in them.

Hell, some Pixar films have more darkness in them than anything PD has ever done.
The Nick Toon is more darker than the PD movies.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #11
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
The Nick Toon is more darker than the PD movies.
More darker
Etsyturtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Pretty much my point, that that was the closest thing to it, which isn't really anything.

And true about Nick. Those little guys witnessed Splinter murdered even.

If PD wants to ever venture into a third and add some darkness, then, I dunno... do something big, like kill of Fox's April. And Vern maybe. That would be okay. Distraught Casey then can have a break down and snap, becoming a Casey we recognize.

Prob why those films won't go dark though. They'd end up having to be rated R and lose all that kid money.

Yup, HBO or something needs a TMNT project.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #13
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I do disagree with him on the Platinum Dunes films, yet his opinion holds weight with me because he co-created these characters. If he wants to turn the turtles into four mimes fighting an evil clown shredder I won't argue with him, because he co-made these characters. In my book, he can do whatever he wants with them.

Doesn't mean others have to like it, though.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #14
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I do disagree with him on the Platinum Dunes films, yet his opinion holds weight with me because he co-created these characters. If he wants to turn the turtles into four mimes fighting an evil clown shredder I won't argue with him, because he co-made these characters. In my book, he can do whatever he wants with them.
But that would still be a terrible idea. Co-creator or not, you shouldn't just change your characters to become vastly different than before. Otherwise it would just turn off fans.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #15
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
But that would still be a terrible idea. Co-creator or not, you shouldn't just change your characters to become vastly different than before. Otherwise it would just turn off fans.
I said it was his right, not that it wasn't a terrible idea. He can do what he likes, doesn't mean anyone else has to like or support it. Without fan support, and idea usually (though not all the time) fails.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #16
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist

Over a decade ago, I saw a TMNT cartoon (aka the 2003 one) which featured Donatello in a future where Mikey had one of his arm's gone, Leo was pretty much blind, Raph had lost an eye, and everyone died at the end except Donatello and an older April. And Donny killed Shredder.

That's 10x darker than anything in these movies. And that was a Saturday Morning Cartoon.

This crap, on the other hand? Has farting rhinos/pigs, a GQ Casey Jones, boners, and a nunchucking vehicle that also shoots sewer lids.

What edge is he talking about? The edge of the cliff that fans wanted to jump off of after watching these stupid things?

The only thing dark about these movies is the BS these people are shoveling into faces.

With all due respect to Mr. Kevin Eastman...but please remind us again about those 'Fight Scenes reminiscent of The Raid & Fist of Legend' that you said would be in these films.
Ramboraph4life aka Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboraph4life aka Matt View Post
Over a decade ago, I saw a TMNT cartoon (aka the 2003 one) which featured Donatello in a future where Mikey had one of his arm's gone, Leo was pretty much blind, Raph had lost an eye, and everyone died at the end except Donatello and an older April. And Donny killed Shredder.

That's 10x darker than anything in these movies. And that was a Saturday Morning Cartoon.

This crap, on the other hand? Has farting rhinos/pigs, a GQ Casey Jones, boners, and a nunchucking vehicle that also shoots sewer lids.

What edge is he talking about? The edge of the cliff that fans wanted to jump off of after watching these stupid things?

The only thing dark about these movies is the BS these people are shoveling into faces.

With all due respect to Mr. Kevin Eastman...but please remind us again about those 'Fight Scenes reminiscent of The Raid & Fist of Legend' that you said would be in these films.
Oh my, I think I'm in love...
Old 08-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboraph4life aka Matt View Post
Or even contemplating watching these things.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #19
Galactus
Foot Elite

It's quotes like this that makes me think that just like everyone involved took very much the wrong lessons from TMNT 2014 as in: well people didn't like that the turtles were super strong brawlers so in the sequel we'll barely show them fighting at all that even if we do get a reboot I still fear it wont fix any of the problems with the Platinum Dunes.

I can see some Paramount execs sitting round a table and saying "so there's some scenes at night? Clearly this was too dark and edgy. We need to make it lighter still. Problem solved."
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #20
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Prob why those films won't go dark though. They'd end up having to be rated R and lose all that kid money.
Both the 4Kids and Nick cartoons can be dark and have a TV-Y7 rating. There is really is no reason why a PG-13 Turtles film couldn't be dark.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kevin eastman, pd films