The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #101
Punker
Mouser

When I first saw this movie, it felt like a long overdue sequel to the original movies. The Turtles were older, they had each started doing their own thing, and it seemed like that was about where they would be in that universe's continuity.

I don't know if it's an official part of that universe, but I'll always consider it to be.
Punker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #102
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punker View Post
I don't know if it's an official part of that universe, but I'll always consider it to be.
Oh, stop it. Of course it's a part of that universe. Here's an only 3 year-old interview:

http://animatedviews.com/2014/direct...mnt-franchise/

“The memento wall was a way to try and have TMNT play in continuity with the earlier, live-action films,” explains Munroe. “I probably would have done a complete reboot if presented with the idea. But Pete was pretty adamant about not doing a reboot while not necessarily having TMNT play with the rest of the franchise. So, I just took a stand and said, ‘Yes, TMNT exists with the other films.'”
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #103
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Never really thought of that before, i just thought it was a stand-alone movie with it's own story/universe.

I didn't really like the movie much, it wasn't bad but the villian was boring.
And i didn't like Splinters voice, as my girlfriend said "He sounds like a drunk yoda"
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #104
billbot85
Mad Scientist

To me, the 2007 movie always felt like a stand-alone film in it's own universe. I never felt it was connected to the 90's live action films, but I maybe i'd think differently if I re-watch it sometime soon.

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #105
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbot85 View Post
To me, the 2007 movie always felt like a stand-alone film in it's own universe. I never felt it was connected to the 90's live action films, but I maybe i'd think differently if I re-watch it sometime soon.
I should probably give it another watch. It's been 11 years for me.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #106
skrimaging
New Recruit

I do consider the 2007 movie as a sequel to the 90s trilogy. Especially the scene where Splinter puts Winter’s Helmet on the mantle alongside all the different props from the past 3 movies like the sceptre and Shredders helmet.
skrimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #107
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Fun fact: Over here in Canada Quebec, some voice dubbing actors reprise their roles from the 90 movies. So yeah, I like to think it's in the same universe.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #108
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Nah, I don't consider it part of the same timeline. The tone is too different.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #109
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

When I think of it at all, no. It just feels like a standalone thing. I get why it IS part of that continuity, but it doesn't really feel like it.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:04 PM   #110
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Sorry, but I don't consider it in continuity at all. Karai, April training, doing archeology work (Why?! She had a perfectly good, steady job as a reporter!), Splinter's ear, no Danny, Keno, Prof. Perry, etc. Raph as Nightwatcher and Leo in Brazil?! None of that ties in to the first three, Splinter made it clear they were a family (and April had a speech in 3 about them STAYING TOGETHER) so he would never have had any of them seperate in that universe. The trophy room was an Easter egg, nothing more. Half the movie makes no sense in context of the LA trilogy. And is set too far apart, besides. Nothing about it fits, regardless of whatever tripe a director or whoever tries to pull out of his ass. Even Mikey's and Donnie's jobs were completely out of continuity, given how easy it would be to be exposed in those situations. 90's movie Splinter would have thrown a fit if they were doing that!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:38 PM   #111
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Sorry, but I don't consider it in continuity at all. Karai, April training, doing archeology work (Why?! She had a perfectly good, steady job as a reporter!), Splinter's ear, no Danny, Keno, Prof. Perry, etc. Raph as Nightwatcher and Leo in Brazil?! None of that ties in to the first three
You're telling me you've never had a crazy year? Ever? Where you've dropped/lost your job, had to reevaluate everything?

Pffft.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:26 AM   #112
AquaParade
Banned

I appreciate the references to the old films, but it’s just too big a stretch for me to recognize it as a continuation of the old trilogy. It feels nothing alike.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:15 AM   #113
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Its kind of like Superman Returns, where its meant to be a sequel to the original films, but people won't like it because of the whole time gap/voice actor change/different style.

Sequels which are made so many years later are hardly ever liked by most people, and just ignored.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #114
AquaParade
Banned

It was simply fan service, because it didn't actually build on anything laid down in the original trilogy.
I just feel like there is no connective tissue there, other than them telling us there is.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #115
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
It was simply fan service, because it didn't actually build on anything laid down in the original trilogy.
I just feel like there is no connective tissue there, other than them telling us there is.
That's not wrong, really.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #116
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I saw the movie in the theatre, assuming it to be a soft-reboot of the live-action movies, but after seeing it, all I could think was that "some version" of the events of the previous three movies must have happened in the Imagi timeline. And then the Mirage "prequel comic" mini-series came out the next month with references to stuff like Triceratons (Raphael's comic) and the Ancient One training Leonardo, and that just left me more confused.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #117
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Sorry, but I don't consider it in continuity at all. Karai, April training, doing archeology work (Why?! She had a perfectly good, steady job as a reporter!), Splinter's ear, no Danny, Keno, Prof. Perry, etc. Raph as Nightwatcher and Leo in Brazil?! None of that ties in to the first three, Splinter made it clear they were a family (and April had a speech in 3 about them STAYING TOGETHER) so he would never have had any of them seperate in that universe. The trophy room was an Easter egg, nothing more. Half the movie makes no sense in context of the LA trilogy. And is set too far apart, besides. Nothing about it fits, regardless of whatever tripe a director or whoever tries to pull out of his ass. Even Mikey's and Donnie's jobs were completely out of continuity, given how easy it would be to be exposed in those situations. 90's movie Splinter would have thrown a fit if they were doing that!

I would agree with you as the trophy room being easter eggs, except for the fact that they added Winter's helmet and Mikey's Cowabunga Carl head meaning that these were all symbols of past events.

April could have gone from being a reporter to being an investigator. I don't think it was mentioned or said if she was a actual architect or an investigator. The reason I don't think she was an archeologist is bc of her lack of knowledge with the material such as name pronunciation. She just seemed more of an investigator.

Donnie always fiddle with stuff in the original movies so I don't think it would be to much of a jump for him to get into IT.

I could see Mikey being a party host/entertainer.

As far as being exposed I remember them being photographed in public..... So I think that cat is already out of the bag

In my opinion I think the movies are in the same universe not only bc of the trophy room but bc of references to their past "Good old days" as Casey said.

I don't think there is a definite answer whether or not the movie is cannon. Unless the director or writer said so?
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #118
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

I thought this was connected to the 2003 series, Leo being away to train and the tension Leo had with Raph just screamed that version. In the 90s films other than that little fight they had in the second one I think it was? Didn't feel like an intense rivalry but a brothers spat.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #119
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You're telling me you've never had a crazy year? Ever? Where you've dropped/lost your job, had to reevaluate everything?

Pffft.
Reminds me of this past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Its kind of like Superman Returns, where its meant to be a sequel to the original films, but people won't like it because of the whole time gap/voice actor change/different style.

Sequels which are made so many years later are hardly ever liked by most people, and just ignored.
Good points. I also think that the idea of trying to do a true sequel to the original by ignoring previous sequels that come before is something both films have in common...and it didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofan26 View Post
I thought this was connected to the 2003 series,
The 2003 series totally had an influence on the 2007 movie. I mean from memory don't the Purple Dragons show up at one point?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #120
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I would agree with you as the trophy room being easter eggs, except for the fact that they added Winter's helmet and Mikey's Cowabunga Carl head meaning that these were all symbols of past events.

April could have gone from being a reporter to being an investigator. I don't think it was mentioned or said if she was a actual architect or an investigator. The reason I don't think she was an archeologist is bc of her lack of knowledge with the material such as name pronunciation. She just seemed more of an investigator.

Donnie always fiddle with stuff in the original movies so I don't think it would be to much of a jump for him to get into IT.

I could see Mikey being a party host/entertainer.

As far as being exposed I remember them being photographed in public..... So I think that cat is already out of the bag

In my opinion I think the movies are in the same universe not only bc of the trophy room but bc of references to their past "Good old days" as Casey said.

I don't think there is a definite answer whether or not the movie is cannon. Unless the director or writer said so?
She wasn't even an investigator, per se, more like an antiquities dealer/procurer. In other words, someone who travels to archeological sites, buys or makes deals to bring items back for museums and collectors, and ships them. I never meant that she WAS an archeologist, just that she DEALT with it. But that makes NO sense when placed next to the previous movies and her firm career in television journalism, nor does her seemingly sudden transformation to martial arts prodigy. Splinter never even HINTED at teaching her, unlike in the 2003 toon. So that completely goes against her having any connection to the 90's movie version.

Casey talking about "good old days" seems like something that might have happened in ANY universe he appears in, so that's really not much of a measuring stick at all. If anything, that conversation would make more sense if the movie fit with the 2003-verse, which actually fits, given there were mouser legs and other props that had NO place in the original movies. Also, Karai. The turtles KNEW her, which only makes sense if it was a different world than the old trilogy, where she NEVER APPEARED.

Given Splinter's reaction to the Ninja Rap headline, and the professed boredom and cabin fever they had in TMNT III, I kind of feel like Mikey would never have been ALLOWED to take such a job, nor would Leo have been allowed to leave for such an extended period. Too risky. Splinter in the original three films was ALWAYS adamant about not being seen, lest others not understand. He might have been willing to bend that rule a bit where April, Casey, and a few other trusted friends were concerned, but NOT the general population! It is completely out of character.

In all, having a few props that are SIMILAR to thinfs from the trilogy movies is hardly a basis for saying it's the same continuity. It's more likely an elseworld that had SOME of the same events take place. For that matter, the mouser legs implies that they encountered Baxter at some point, which was NEVER even hinted at in any of the original films! (Even Perry had apparently disappeared by the end of SotO, so there went their only link to anyone with advanced scientific background.)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tmnt 2007