Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I guess my thought process is that it's dumb to be geared up like a ninja 24/7

Let them have some attempts at normalcy, family life, self-expression. Then when it comes time to go above ground and do battle, they dress accordingly.
I guess that'd be fine. Though I don't imagine four guys raised in a sweaty sewer for all their life to grow up and kill a guy would be terribly worried about concepts of "normalcy," "family life," or "self-expression."

Quote:
I mean, if I were truly trying to be stealthy, I wouldn't throw on a red, flowing bandana either.
It's probably like Batman wearing a yellow circle on his chest when that was the only part on his costume that was bulletproof... if you're aiming a gun and the Turtles are darting around in the dark your eye might train on the flowing bandannas and not any fleshy parts.

Or maybe they just look cool.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #22
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I guess my thought process is that it's dumb to be geared up like a ninja 24/7

Let them have some attempts at normalcy, family life, self-expression. Then when it comes time to go above ground and do battle, they dress accordingly.

I mean, if I were truly trying to be stealthy, I wouldn't throw on a red, flowing bandana either.
I can see that flowing well with Barron's ideas from the first film, which I'm guessing his mini-series would have loosely followed. They weren't solely raised to kill Shredder-- there was obviously trying to maintain a sense of normalcy.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #23
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I guess that'd be fine. Though I don't imagine four guys raised in a sweaty sewer for all their life to grow up and kill a guy would be terribly worried about concepts of "normalcy," "family life," or "self-expression."

It's probably like Batman wearing a yellow circle on his chest when that was the only part on his costume that was bulletproof... if you're aiming a gun and the Turtles are darting around in the dark your eye might train on the flowing bandannas and not any fleshy parts.

Or maybe they just look cool.
I actually see that as a really endearing part of the characters but I guess that can vary from person to person. The drive to avenge Yoshi's master is high on my list of essential elements too.
But I think it's important that they feel the isolation down there in the sewers. I would never say that their number one mission is to befriend all of New York, but I like the idea that they try and replicate what they see on television and in the city streets, as a way of belonging, or just to give them some visual personality.

Neither Batman's yellow symbol or the red bandana's being a distraction for enemies really hold much water for me. That said, I can suspend my imagination enough, given that they look fantastic.
My only hangup is when we see the turtles constantly hanging around the lair in knee-pads and masks, with weapons holstered. Image, and sometimes Mirage, handled this pretty well for my taste though.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #24
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwd View Post
This is even worse than bay turtles
http://artbrendan.com/portfolio-item...ninja-turtles/
Having looked at the link I'm sure there's been worse.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #25
Darxide
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
It was one of the later scripts for TMNT 4. TNM was still airing. Karai, Foot Elite, Venus, Kirby, Spyder (alternate dimension Shredder). Not the best of the TMNT 4 scripts, but it had potential.

It's scanned, archived, preserved, and in safe hands. I was debating on just dumping it out there, but it's much cooler with some additional context. It'll be out there eventually.
Did you ever end up putting any of this stuff out there? Not necessarily the scripts, but any of the little extras?
Darxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:49 PM   #26
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darxide View Post
Did you ever end up putting any of this stuff out there? Not necessarily the scripts, but any of the little extras?
As far as extras, all of the concept art that Eastman sold is already online. I'm still wanting to adapt one of the scripts to a comic, a'la Mirage movie comic adaptations.

Does anyone know a fan artist that does a decent Lawson TMNT? Does Lawson himself do fan comic commissions?
Old 01-01-2020, 03:44 PM   #27
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwd View Post
This is even worse than bay turtles
http://artbrendan.com/portfolio-item...ninja-turtles/
I know they are not the best designs but let's not get carried away here.

The Bay designs didn't even do what they were supposed to do and let people who didn't know much about the turtles be able to tall which one is which. Gaudy and over the top as they were other than Donatello none of the outfits made a lick of sense to someone didn't already know which turtle had which personality.

Why is the blue one wearing samurai gear? I thought they were all martial artists. Why is the one in read got a doo-rag and loin cloth? Is he supposed to be a barbarian? Why is the orange horny one got chains and sunglasses he can't even wear? Sure, fans who already know the characters can intuit what they were going for but for the uninitiated it's even harder to tell them apart. At least the Barron designs effectively convey (stereotypical as it is) they are teenagers in a then contemporary urban setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Well...you're not wrong but there's always been a charming conceit with TMNT that despite being raised in the sewers isolated from humanity the turtles and Splinter are a "normal" family.

This goes back to #2 of the Mirage series were it opens to the turtles living room doing normal domestic things like Don is soldering a circuit and Leo is reading a book while sitting next to Splinter on the coach while he watches TV. Even Raph and Mike are more rough housing than properly sparring. Even in the first issue it's implied with the look of the lair being very home-y that the live a life that approximates that an actual human family despite their unique circumstances.

Just how "normal" TMNT should is debatable. I think at least some regular societal concepts should elude them but the idea that things like "normalcy," "family life," or "self-expression" are not things the turtles would be bothered with doesn't bare out. Arguments of realism aside it's antithetical to how the characters have been presented since the beginning.

Not saying I was ever in love with the clothes from concept art of the Barron picture but like the bandannas (multi-colored of otherwise) have no real purpose in-story it serves a practical one of being a visual shorthand for them being teenagers in an urban setting. I can appreciate what they were going for even if I think there are better ways of conveying that.

Quote:
Something which was only given an actual purpose decades after the the oval was first introduced. The real reason Bats has it is are for legal purposes, heck the only reason he has any chest symbol at all is because Superman has his S. If someone wanted to they could come up with an in-story purpose for the turtles bandannas, heck as much as you might hate it someone could easily come up with a reason why they could be multi-coloured. Not sure why they'd want to be it's there.

Last edited by Galactus; 01-02-2020 at 12:14 AM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #28
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
As far as extras, all of the concept art that Eastman sold is already online. I'm still wanting to adapt one of the scripts to a comic, a'la Mirage movie comic adaptations.

Does anyone know a fan artist that does a decent Lawson TMNT? Does Lawson himself do fan comic commissions?
Talk to Andrew, he's worked with Jim on his fan continuations of Mirage.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #29
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Talk to Andrew, he's worked with Jim on his fan continuations of Mirage.
Shouting Man-- what's the going page rate, sir?
Old 07-22-2020, 04:00 AM   #30
Wingnut II
Random Punk

Seriously though, you gotta put up those scans somewhere. Or at least transcribe them!
Wingnut II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 04:45 PM   #31
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Wow!

The 1995 draft by Ford and Soffer is Lost Media no more!

https://lostmediawiki.com/Teenage_Mu...lm;_1995-1997)

https://files.catbox.moe/mzwmkt.pdf

Spoiler:

Kirby comes to the Turtles’ universe after fleeing certain death in his alternate dimension earth.

Splinter and the Turtles suddenly went into exile to deal with their secondary mutations, leaving April behind without explanation.

In their absence, April gave up her news reporter work and became the sensei of the Kame-do dojo the turtles previously founded. Her students seem to be young kids, one of whom (Josh) has a crush on her.

The turtles return after a year and reconnect with April in their old sewer lair.

Spyder and his technograft henchmen follow Kirby to earth and sends his top talent (and possible lover) Miss D to hunt him down. His other technografts are called Bob, TonMan, and Crunch.

Miss D annihilates two “grungy redneck sanitation engineers” named Howard [Stern?] and Rush [Limbaugh?] who sexually harass her.

While the TMNT go out for a run and test their new morphed forms, April stays at the lair with Splinter (who keeps his morph secret but is struggling with spasms). Miss D invades the lair looking for Kirby and battles Splinter and April. When April breaks open Miss D’s exo-cat mask, she is revealed to be her exact doppleganger. Miss D is about to kill April when Kirby appears to chase her away.

The Turtles return and strike an alliance with Kirby to defeat Spyder and his techno-force

Kirby reveals that he is the last survivor of his brothers, all named after the four great Renaissance artists of his earth… Eisner, macfarland, Miller, and Kirby. They were trained by their master Sliver to defeat Spyder but failed. Their April apparently betrayed them and became loyal to Spyder.

Don finds a new lair, inside an 18th century sailing ship buried in the waterfront warehouse district. It can be accessed through a modified phone booth that opens up to a “turtle tube”

Spyder plans to unleash a swarm of millions of nanobots on our earth. He breaks into a government inventory storehouse to acquire the tech he needs. He then sets up base in a NY power sub-station, where the technografts charge their exo-suits at 30k volts. After that, he goes to a top-secret government lab at Penn Station, under Madison Square Garden.

Spyder finds an ex-KGB monster named Yuri hooked up to an iron lung (smoking is bad). Apparently Yuri once served Shredder and even went to his funeral too. He coerces him to give up a rom chip to program the nanobots.

Miss D gets mistaken for April by past co-workers and April’s dojo student Josh, which really makes her mad.

The Cyber version of Spyder traps Donatello into a computer hack… battle… event. All electro-mechanical items in the new lair get hacked and the turtles get jolted into morph loops. April breaks the trap thanks to her rubber-soled shoes. Somehow, a nanobot possesses a pizza/calzone and they freeze it. Don and Kirby use a Game Boy to reverse engineer it.

Spyder loves his coffee and tea. April gets suggestive with a security guard as a distraction tactic and makes a point to emphasize smoking is bad.

April gets briefly naked to slip out of a big ninja suit thing to save the Turtles from the “Stickypops” (explosive nanobot trap).

Splinter gifts April the moth-eaten gi of Tang Shen. April sews it up into a skintight ninja catsuit.

Kirby encourages the turtles that mastery over their morphs is the key to beating Spyder. He explains each morph form is a manifestation of their individual spirits.

Leo’s morphed form allows him to be launched as a “turtle puck”, which April rides on near the end.

April defeats Miss D and defends a weakened Splinter in a final battle after a Water Tower falls onto the villainess.

Splinter goes Beast Mode! He is frustrated he can’t do much action in his normal state and may hulk out on a rampage.

There is a big climatic scene against the Nanobots that seems to involve a cyber-space like portal.

In the end, April introduces her student to the TMNT.

No Casey Jones or Keno or Chief Sterns or Danny/Charles from what I can tell.

I’ll post more thoughts laters!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-20-2024 at 07:53 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:52 PM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Interesting and answers a lot of questions I had when I followed the bread crumbs of it as a kid. Also, it sounds like hot garbage.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:13 PM   #33
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I would have liked to see it but not as a sequel to the first 3 live action movies. I don’t think it would have fit in that continuity. Mostly because of the Turtles and Splinter’s secondary mutations. How and why would that happen now?

An alternate dimension and evil counterparts is a perfectly fine storyline but changing the main characters that much seems too far from the first 3.

Could have been cool as a separate movie or cartoon series...when things at the time were going “extreme” (Dinosaurs, G.I. Joe, Ghostbusters etc.) It sounds like that’s what they were going for with the new mutations.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:16 PM   #34
Sumac
Banned

Sounds like a mess.
Not fan of the secondary mutation and the whole story sounds very generic.
Also, what with the name Spyder?

Last edited by Sumac; 01-19-2024 at 10:22 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 12:56 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I would have liked to see it but not as a sequel to the first 3 live action movies. I don’t think it would have fit in that continuity. Mostly because of the Turtles and Splinter’s secondary mutations. How and why would that happen now?
If I recall the press release at the time, it was said something like, "We now see the TMNT's continuing mutation!" Meaning, it never stopped, really, and here's the next phase. Lame.

Here's my old informational thing when I was tracking bits about it ages ago:

http://thegreenlanterncorps.com/tmnt/nt4.html
Old 01-20-2024, 02:00 AM   #36
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

The secondary mutation has always sort of been brewing beneath the surface but never seems to have been successfully achieved. They went for it here, the Red Sky seasons, and even TLR introduced it in a rather trivial manner, I guess to explain why Mikey could take so much damage? It’s always weird.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 02:05 AM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And this was the same thought process that continued into the Saban Next Mutation show. That's why they look a little different. They just dialed what they were going to do in that movie way back.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:54 AM   #38
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

I wonder if this is more of a Kevin thing or if it was part of the original TLR outline. I’m not sure I understand the fascination with it. Seems sort of gimmicky, but I’m sure something cool could be done with it, maybe in a body-horror type story. As a superpower, I’m not into it.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 08:49 AM   #39
Sumac
Banned

Next Mutation kind of played it so low key that it might not have been element at all.
I've never even figured out that TMNT had a second mutation there and just considered them looking all different as part of the style of the show.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:13 AM   #40
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well... it's interesting, though not necessarily a good interesting. Likewise not a fan of the secondary mutation concept.

So Kirby was really part of a different set of Turtles from another universe's Earth, rather than actually parallel versions of the TMNT we know? Not sure how I feel about that, it's a bit convoluted. Even if Mirage/2003's super Turtles also had different names, they were still the parallel counterparts of the regular TMNT. But that's not really parallel if Kirby isn't another version of one of the TMNT.

Disappear without even a note to April? I can't really see them doing that.

Quote:
April gave up her news reporter work and became the sensei of the Kame-do dojo the turtles previously founded.
What.

Yeah, if this had ever been made, either something else needs to lead up to that point or it really should not be connected to the original movies.

Quote:
Leo’s morphed form allows him to be launched as a “turtle puck”, which April rides on near the end.
Also what.

Was kind of expecting something ridiculous like Bay would probably do with it... not "Leo can just become an object to throw at people."

Quote:
April gets briefly naked
Film makers will do anything to slip in an unnecessary nude scene... but in a TMNT movie? Trying to hit a "mature" rating doesn't need to check off the whole list.

Quote:
April defeats
Of course.

Let April be the kind of character she is, which is a crucially important supporting character who doesn't need to become the ass kicker. If they want to add a female ass kicker, then add Alopex or someone else to a film. You are allowed to have more than one girl present (excluding the villain), believe it or not.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancelled media