The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #1
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

God Particle is the 3rd Cloverfield Movie

a movie titled God Particle will be the 3rd film that will be connected to the Cloverfield movies.
http://www.thewrap.com/jj-abrams-god...ies-exclusive/

Quote:
The mysterious upcoming J.J. Abrams-produced film”God Particle” will be the latest movie connected to the producer’s cult hit “Cloverfield,” an insider familiar with the project told TheWrap.

Not only will “Particle” be the third in a series of connected “Cloverfield” films, but Abrams and studio partner Paramount Pictures are quietly developing more movies for the shared universe, the individual said. Both parties hope to release a new film in the shared “Cloverfield” each year, the insider added.

Paramount declined to comment on the matter. Abrams’ company Bad Robot did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.

Fans of “Cloverfield” and its cinematic cousin “10 Cloverfield Lane,” which starred John Goodman and was released in March, speculated the “God Particle” was indeed connected to the same universe when the project was announced in February.

“Particle” is about a team of astronauts who make a “shocking discovery” and end up fighting for survival in what is described as an altered reality. Julis Onah (“The Girl Is in Trouble”) directed from a script by Oren Uziel. It stars David Oyelowo, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Ziyi Zhang, Elizabeth Debicki, Daniel Brühl and Chris O’Dowd.

The film is set to open wide on Feb. 24, 2017 — though footage from the project is expected to be presented to reporters on Thursday in New York. Studio head Brad Grey will personally present highlights from the upcoming slate at the event, and do a similar event on Nov. 2 in Los Angeles on the Paramount lot. The insider was present at an event leading up to those presentations.

A person on the Paramount lot said no announcement would come from the Thursday and Nov. 2 presentations — just footage.

Shared film universes are largely uncharted territory and manifest in different ways — there’s the overt and highly successful strategy over at Marvel, where cross-pollination is rampant. Take the upcoming “Thor: Ragnarok” — the narrative belongs to the norse god played by Chris Hemsworth, but the studio is happy to let Mark Ruffalo drop in as the Incredible Hulk.

Abrams connects his shared universe in much less visible ways — you can click here to read an excellent and meticulous analysis of the connection between “Cloverfield” and “10 Cloverfield Lane.”

Last edited by TigerClaw; 10-26-2016 at 10:45 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:02 AM   #2
Allio
Foot Elite

don't trust Tagurato
Old 10-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Why does everything need a sh!tty shared universe now? Why can't they just be the same sorts of films made by the same sorts of people, with connections being nothing more than easter eggs? These people don't understand the concept of a "shared universe" at all and are just doing it because it worked for Marvel.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
Allio
Foot Elite

technically, if they are all under the "Cloverfield" series, then to fair it isn't so much as "shared universe" as it is just sequels.

Kind of how Halloween was suppose to be a series of seperate halloween films instead of just Micheal Myers
Old 10-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
technically, if they are all under the "Cloverfield" series, then to fair it isn't so much as "shared universe" as it is just sequels.
Not really sequels... sidequels, more like.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Not really sequels... sidequels, more like.
I guess this "cloverfiled" series will have more connectivity at least, if Taguruto is connecting everything.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I was kind of hoping that the Cloverfield monster (and maybe there'd be others dropped throughout the world) was just a vanguard for an alien invasion force, which we see at the end of 10 Cloverfield Lane. Then a third movie could be from a military perspective or something set shortly after both films, taking on the alien ships and the big Cloverfield monsters. Nice, simple, and satisfying as a trilogy.

But if the quick synopsis of God Particle is any clue, it seems like they may be explaining Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane together by making them set in alternate dimensions... which really isn't a way of explaining them together at all, it's doing the opposite. Or maybe in God Particle they accidentally open the particular dimension or dimensions the creature from Cloverfield and the aliens from 10 Cloverfield Lane come from and rain them down on the planet, thus setting up both movies.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The ONLY real connection (Easter eggs aside) between these movies is the word "CLOVERFIELD."

That's it. We've figured out the game; it's nothing special.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
The ONLY real connection (Easter eggs aside) between these movies is the word "CLOVERFIELD."

That's it. We've figured out the game; it's nothing special.
It's a weird thing. 10 Cloverfield Lane wasn't intended to be a Cloverfield movie until late into things... similarly, Cloverfield wasn't even going to be called Cloverfield at all until they couldn't come up with anything better than the working title.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
It's a weird thing. 10 Cloverfield Lane wasn't intended to be a Cloverfield movie until late into things... similarly, Cloverfield wasn't even going to be called Cloverfield at all until they couldn't come up with anything better than the working title.
It's a very weird little thing.

I mean, 10 Cloverfield Lane (as you say) got tied into "cloverfield" at the 11th hour. Would've preferred to see it as its own thing.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Will Cloverfield be the anthology series that Halloween was supposed to be?

edit: I see this had been mentioned already.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #12
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
Will Cloverfield be the anthology series that Halloween was supposed to be?

edit: I see this had been mentioned already.
I can totally see it be some kind of anthology series, The only connections that they have, is they are dealing with monsters or aliens.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Cloverfield 3 delayed (again) until April now:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...e-release-date
Old 01-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I can totally see it be some kind of anthology series, The only connections that they have, is they are dealing with monsters or aliens.
Also with Slusho
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's hard to believe the first Cloverfield movie came out in 2008, literally 10 years ago. It certainly doesn't feel like a decade old movie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I still swear it said, "It's a lion, it's HUGE!" in the original trailer.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

I remember people thinking filming something through their cell phones was weird. Oddly enough the iphone only came out a year before in 2007, so I guess it seemed like a fairly new concept at the time.

It's just so weird to think of movies now from 2008 or 2007 are now "a decade old." I mean they barely seem any different than today's movies. Meanwhile movies from the 90's feel VERY different than ones from the 2000's...just the way they're filmed.

Feels like most movies from the 2000's are interchangeable.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #18
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm really curious about this. Didn't care about the Godzilla Cloverfield, but loved the Survivalist Bunker Horror Cloverfield.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:15 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I'm really curious about this. Didn't care about the Godzilla Cloverfield, but loved the Survivalist Bunker Horror Cloverfield.
A lot of people don't want this (possibly including JJ himself) but I kind of hope the third one ties them all together intelligently. There's ways it could work.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #20
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
A lot of people don't want this (possibly including JJ himself) but I kind of hope the third one ties them all together intelligently. There's ways it could work.
If they're hell bent on rewriting these movies (The Cellar, God Particle) to be part of this Cloverfield universe then they need to tie them together. I don't understand the point of retrofitting these movies if that's not the plan.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote