The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-27-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Alien Covenant sequel canceled by Fox

https://screenrant.com/alien-covenant-sequel-canceled/

Quote:
Fox has reportedly canceled plans for a sequel to 2017’s Alien: Covenant. Prospects for a sequel have long looked shaky, ever since Covenant limped to just $74 million in domestic box office grosses. Even the polarizing Prometheus was able to scare up $126 million in the U.S.

The sequel to Covenant was originally due to start pre-production this month in Sydney. After the box office results filming was canceled, and a warehouse storage unit full of stuff was auctioned off a few months ago. So the original plan of pumping out another quickly has definitely changed with no immediate plans for anything.
Now that Disney owns Fox, I'm curious to see if they'll reboot the entire Alien franchise. Or at least, only keep Alien and Aliens canon and retcon everything else.

Maybe we'll see a 70 year old Sigourney Weaver reprise her role.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:11 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

There was never any plans beyond Ridley having a pitch in the back of his mind that was entirely contingent on Covenant being a success. It wasn't. I don't think it even broke even. And while the Disney acquisition is being tied up in approvals court I don't see anything getting greenlit that isn't already in super advanced pre-production.

I certainly can't imagine anyone literally rebooting or remaking Alien. Like an actual Nostromo, the do-over? Will never happen. What we might get after the Disney restructuring is something radically different... more Aliens and less Alien. They'll try it at least once, anyway.

Maybe they could even woo Cameron, as producer/writer at least. Avatar will be under the same umbrella, even.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-27-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:17 AM   #3
newfan
Mad Scientist

Before covenant, I was told by a fan that they were going to do a sequel with Weaver etc... to take place after Alien 2, but then Covenant came out instead so I guess not. I don't know how much of that was a serious idea though, I don't know much about it.
I've seen all the Alien moves except for Covenant, did any of you think it was worth a sequel?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:19 AM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Sigourney Weaver is going to be in Cameron's Avatar sequels, so it's possible they can use her.

Problem is she's currently 68. By the time Disney gets to do their own Alien movie, she'll be in her early 70's. Not really sure what she can do at that point, unless she takes a backseat role similar to Harrison Ford in Star Wars movies.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:32 AM   #5
newfan
Mad Scientist

Gotta hand it to her, she's is doing well for her age but yes, this is the problem with leaving large gaps.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:46 AM   #6
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Before covenant, I was told by a fan that they were going to do a sequel with Weaver etc... to take place after Alien 2, but then Covenant came out instead so I guess not. I don't know how much of that was a serious idea though, I don't know much about it.
I've seen all the Alien moves except for Covenant, did any of you think it was worth a sequel?
That film was an actual idea before Ridley Scott stepped in and said no

https://screenrant.com/alien-5-xenom...-art-blomkamp/

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #7
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Man, I'm glad. It's time to give this series a little bit of a rest.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #8
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I think this was obvious to everyone outside of Ridley after the terrible box office from Covenant.

I wish Ridley would've make a Prometheus trilogy that wasn't tied to the Alien mythology at all.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
That film was an actual idea before Ridley Scott stepped in and said no

https://screenrant.com/alien-5-xenom...-art-blomkamp/
That's the official word on it, but I suspect the real, deciding reason is that Fox got cold feet on Neill Blomkamp. Elysium did alright critically and with audiences, but only made a couple million. Chappie, though, nobody liked and I'm not even sure if it made its money back, since we don't know how much was spent on promotional material. They seemed to sour and cut it from their plans right after.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Covenant has grown on me since I first saw it; I think it is a very smart film in some ways.

However, I think, as others have said, that this story deserves its own spin off franchise/trilogy. Adding the xenomorph and its established lore into the mix, along with killing off a major character from the previous film off screen, really seem like bad calls in retrospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I say do the Blomkamp film (or a film like it), and somehow tie it into the end of Alien: Covenant, too.

i.e., Ripley wakes up after the events of Aliens, and she and Hicks somehow go on a Weyland-Yutani adventure to Origae-6... running directly into David (who's been there for 60 years now) and his machinations. Repair the damage of Covenant, of course... I dunno, have David explain that he was only recreating what had already been created thousands of years ago by the Engineers.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Blomkamp's idea is a little too fan-film for my taste. I'm not 100% sure that he wouldn't bugger it up either. His movies seem to get worse rather than better.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:50 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Blomkamp's idea is a little too fan-film for my taste.
We don't know what his idea is.

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure that he wouldn't bugger it up either. His movies seem to get worse rather than better.
Elysium wasn't terrible... not particularly memorable, though. Chappie wasn't terrible either, just boring and predictable.

Have you seen his new OATS shorts? Not bad at all. I like the Vietnam one with the meat/blood god thing.

And there's "Rakka," he did with Weaver.