The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you lost interest in the Idw series?
Yes 21 13.82%
No 131 86.18%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #21
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer536 View Post
"What's the point? If you're not going to stay true to their origins, don't call it Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles because that's not what this is."
My take: why keep it the same in every incarnation? You might as well just watch/read the old s**t over and over again.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #22
Bauer536
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
My take: why keep it the same in every incarnation? You might as well just watch/read the old s**t over and over again.
To me, messing with the origins and characters make it wrong for it to be the franchise people love.

Still, there are ways to change things without making it too drastic. I mean, Nickelodeon is changing a few things in the cartoon, but at least the turtles are the ones we know and love and that they were still mutated as infants.

That's what should be left untouched: the way characters are born. What's the point in reading Batman then if it seems someone decides not to kill off his parents? Something so essential that makes the franchise should never be taken away.
Bauer536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #23
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Samhain has a picture of Leo with a BLUE bandana (not red -- sacrilege!!!!) as his avatar. Clearly it is not so important to him as he claims
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #24
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior

The Splinter & Casey issues have been a breath of fresh air for the series. The main line has been slowing down for me to the point of feeling very lull.

I agree with the poster that mentioned how good the first issue felt... Personally the highest peek for me was when the brothers finally reunited.

[And no it wasnt the bandana thing]

"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #25
Eiko
Aussie and Proud

I'm loving this series I'm enjoying it more than Mirage. Mirage is the book i lost interest in the story's where sometimes quite boring.But IDW love the reincarnation and April naming them. and Splinter facing the foot and Shredder on his own was well..... AMAZING!. the micros are also great.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #26
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Samhain has a picture of Leo with a BLUE bandana (not red -- sacrilege!!!!) as his avatar. Clearly it is not so important to him as he claims
I do hope you're joking. Like many others, I have no issues wth the turtles wearing colored bandanas. Except in the comic books.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #27
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior

If it was any other series but TMNT I don't know that I would still be picking up the book every month. IDW hasn't done anything so egregious that I've wanted to drop it, but to me everything from the beginning has felt lackluster, especially after the new-ness wore off. The pacing from month to month is one thing but the pacing within each book I think is terrible. None of the character personality traits are that well defined. This series is supposed to stand on it's own but I find myself projecting more conventional character traits onto the series instead of those things being clearly outlined.

There are probably more people that know and remember TMNT because of the FW series than from any other incarnation. I was one of those people once, and I think it's great to throw them a bone now and then if it's something worthwhile. But if that becomes an overpowering factor in the series it will seriously turn me off. There have been high points along the way(micro ish's mostly), and I'm certainly looking forward to the next story arc, the annual, and the foot clan mini. I think this thing has so far failed to really stand on it's own and has been played pretty safe(lame). Maybe that comes down from Nick/Viacom, I dunno.
LeoNerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #28
Cipher
Foot Elite

Well, count me in the other camp on all accounts. I only recently got into the series and have been pleasantly surprised by it. Not stopping any time soon.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #29
Grimlock
Hench Mutant

The pacing is horrible in this series. You gotta grab me, and keep me wantin' more. Sadly, it has not. And someone tell Kevin he needs to practice drawing because most of the time his ''covers'' blow.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #30
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
The pacing is horrible in this series. You gotta grab me, and keep me wantin' more. Sadly, it has not. And someone tell Kevin he needs to practice drawing because most of the time his ''covers'' blow.
I agree on the pacing. Kevin's covers are a hit or miss for me. Sometimes they just looked rushed, but his cover for issue # 14 is FANTASTIC!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNerdo View Post
There are probably more people that know and remember TMNT because of the FW series than from any other incarnation. I was one of those people once, and I think it's great to throw them a bone now and then if it's something worthwhile. But if that becomes an overpowering factor in the series it will seriously turn me off. There have been high points along the way(micro ish's mostly), and I'm certainly looking forward to the next story arc, the annual, and the foot clan mini. I think this thing has so far failed to really stand on it's own and has been played pretty safe(lame). Maybe that comes down from Nick/Viacom, I dunno.
That's why this series is actually interesting. If IDW didn't use original cartoon characters it would simply be, "Mirage-lite," which is essentially what the 4kids series already was.

The 4kids cartoon was already a loose adaption of Mirage material with new twists added like Ch'rell and so forth to make a new spin on the old stuff.

IDW on the other hand can take characters we would never see in Mirage/4kids like Slash and Krang and do something amazing with them. That's what makes this series have potential, to re-invent all these older characters that we haven't seen used in YEARS.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #32
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior

I don't disagree. I like Krang. I think he could be a cool character in IDW. He hasn't been borne out one way or the other yet. There's a very short list of FW/Archie characters I would be interested in seeing re-vamped and Slash is certainly among them. Bebop and Rocksteady? Not so much really, unless they can imagine up something meaningful for them. Nostalgia can only go so far before you realize it's kinda weak.
LeoNerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNerdo View Post
I don't disagree. I like Krang. I think he could be a cool character in IDW. He hasn't been borne out one way or the other yet. There's a very short list of FW/Archie characters I would be interested in seeing re-vamped and Slash is certainly among them. Bebop and Rocksteady? Not so much really, unless they can imagine up something meaningful for them. Nostalgia can only go so far before you realize it's kinda weak.
True, but I am sure we're not going to see characters just for the sake of it.

With the strong hints that Slash is making his debut in the IDW series soon, I honestly can't wait to see what they do with him.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #34
Coola Yagami
Overlord

How can anyone possibly lose interest when it's just starting to kick off and getting good? That's like walking out of an action movie before the epic climax.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #35
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
S**t's just getting real, guys. There's no way I'm losing interest now.
Not really sure how things are getting real... Except for maybe Old Hob and Baxter. But for the turtles, the story so far is about how they met the Shredder and found absolutely no reason to be afraid of him. I understand there's plenty of reasoning for it, but it doesn't make the story any more eventful, or "real," as it may. The only thing the Foot have done competently is kidnap and already kidnapped Splinter.

I'm still enjoying IDW turtles, but it is waning as everything definitely seems to be slowly declining in quality with each subsequent issue, both in artwork and writing. I'm hoping that with a new artist, and one year under Tom's belt to improve the execution overall, my interest will pick back up. I still have high hopes, but they really gotta take the kiddy gloves off. I don't mind a safe all ages approach necessarily, but that doesn't mean the story has to be safe. See Mask of the Phantasm for how you can push the boundaries of multi layered storytelling with an accessible yet sophisticated approach.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #36
FoxZerro
Stone Warrior

As long as they keep up the quality that has been present in the Micro-Series then I will still have interest in the IDW. Those stories are great and self-contained and give me the greatest joy of the new issues. I'm really looking forward to the arcs that have been hinted at for issues 13-14 and 15-16. I like an over arcing story but I think that having things wrap up in two issues instead of four will be great for the overall storytelling aspect of the series and I hope this turns out to be the case.
FoxZerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Not really sure how things are getting real... Except for maybe Old Hob and Baxter. But for the turtles, the story so far is about how they met the Shredder and found absolutely no reason to be afraid of him. I understand there's plenty of reasoning for it, but it doesn't make the story any more eventful, or "real," as it may. The only thing the Foot have done competently is kidnap and already kidnapped Splinter.
The Mirage Turtles killed Shredder the first time they met him. The 4kids Turtles (or rather Splinter) defeated Shredder the first time he attacked them.

Shredder losing once doesn't mean he's going to always lose.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #38
Scud
Hench Mutant

Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
I'm still liking it. Granted I'm a little behind all the stories, what with reading Trades only, But I'm still liking what they're putting out.

I'm usually pretty easy going with comics. I appreciate different artistic styles, some I like, some not. I don't mind Duncan's at all.

As for the story lines, I like seeing a different twist on a story. My thought on that is do you really want to pay money only to read the exact same stories?
As long as it still fits the overall feel of the subjects, and not something carzy coming out of left field (or outerspace )

~S~

New to the Technodrome? Why not introduce yourself here.
To read the forum rules click one. For guidelines on Buying/Selling/Trading click two.
Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #39
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
How can anyone possibly lose interest when it's just starting to kick off and getting good? That's like walking out of an action movie before the epic climax.
It's been over a damn year and it's ''just starting to kick off and getting good?''

Yeah....
Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #40
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Mirage Turtles killed Shredder the first time they met him. The 4kids Turtles (or rather Splinter) defeated Shredder the first time he attacked them.

Shredder losing once doesn't mean he's going to always lose.
I've made and recognized that point myself before, but 40 pages of buildup hardly compares to 8-12 issues of buildup. Even so, Mirage was able to build up more tension and suspense within those 40 pages than IDW has in all this time. I'm not trying to say the whole series is a letdown, but I'm acknowledging a legitimate one for myself. Like I've said before, it's not the fact that he lost so much as the way he lost.

Plus we all know the Vol. 1 #1 was meant to be self-contained story. If the Shredder is meant to stick around to terrorize the turtles but ultimately lose, he's got to do something competently or else he just looks like a chump who talks big. Krang is talking big too with no actions to back it up, but hopefully when the time comes, he won't disappoint as well. I understand they aren't meant to succeed in destroying the turtles, but it's up to the series to convince us they could, otherwise what's the point?

Tags
idw, mirage