The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-01-2023, 11:40 AM   #61
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I am pretty excited about the lineup, it is a well-rounded basis that has something for everyone. But a lot of this will come down to casting, writing, and director choices which we don't know much about yet.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:03 PM   #62
Sumac
Banned

Plans are plans, WB had a lot of those over years.
Let's see how this batch will get...
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:32 PM   #63
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Plans are plans, WB had a lot of those over years.
Let's see how this batch will get...
Plans are plans, yes, but that was a different WB. No point in holding the new neighbors accountable for what the old ones did.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:09 PM   #64
AquaParade
Banned

James Mangold (Logan) in talks to direct Swamp Thing.

Surely just a d-lister about to flop.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:12 PM   #65
ChosenOne
Banned

WB is just marginally better than Sony when it comes to comic book movies.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:33 PM   #66
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
James Mangold (Logan) in talks to direct Swamp Thing.

Surely just a d-lister about to flop.
Mangold makes good movies. It doesn't mean anyone will show up but that definitely improves the odds a bit.

Kind of a pity to waste him on Swamp Thing. It'll just come out, bomb, then he'll talk about how he knew, deep down he should never do a comic book movie and will swear them off forever, like Martin Campbell.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:42 PM   #67
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Mangold makes good movies. It doesn't mean anyone will show up but that definitely improves the odds a bit.

Kind of a pity to waste him on Swamp Thing. It'll just come out, bomb, then he'll talk about how he knew, deep down he should never do a comic book movie and will swear them off forever, like Martin Campbell.
Idk man. Is this like the time you were stubbornly adamant that the turtles wouldn’t kill in the Last Ronin? Sometimes it seems like you dig your heels in on stuff and then it ages poorly.

I want to be clear that I’m not against you having a negative opinion on the slate, it’s just the way you present it seems extremely …pouty?
It seems like you’re mad at the slate. Am I getting that right? Are you mad at the slate?

Or maybe you really do think Swamp Thing will flop and I have to accept that opinion. I guess it just seems extremely presumptuous and premature to me, which is why I have trouble believing you legit think that. But hey if that’s your logic, that’s your logic.

For me, I’d have to know more about a film before declaring it’s going to flop. Having Mangold aboard certainly has me thinking the opposite though.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-01-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:38 PM   #68
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I appreciate your avatar AquaParade! Maybe you were like me as a kid in the 90s, I watched Swamp Thing (82) Return of the Swamp Thing (89) and the live action TV series (90-93) over and over. I looked forward to new episodes of the show on USA Network on weekend nights. I personally think the first season is the best but anyway. I *MAY* be in the minority, but I don't think they should have gotten rid of Jim the way they did. They literally had him kidnapped and shipped to south america where he became a slave in order to write him out of the show. Sheesh! That's like the worst fate for any kid character I can think of from that period.

Oh, and the Swamp Thing toon, which wasn't bad. As well as the Kenner figures from the show. Some of my most played with figures. I just really loved Swamp Thing, the horror and supernatural elements of it, and the mysterious setting of the Swamplands itself.

The '19 series was pretty good but apparently failed to make much of a wave, but I'm hoping this new movie can top it. I guess the '19 series wasn't THAT big of a failure or they wouldn't already be considering a film.

Last edited by Zulithe; 02-01-2023 at 02:43 PM.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:47 PM   #69
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I appreciate your avatar AquaParade! Maybe you were like me as a kid in the 90s, I watched Swamp Thing (82) Return of the Swamp Thing (89) and the live action TV series (90-93) over and over. I looked forward to new episodes of the show on USA Network on weekend nights. I personally think the first season is the best but anyway. I *MAY* be in the minority, but I don't think they should have gotten rid of Jim the way they did. They literally had him kidnapped and shipped to south america where he became a slave in order to write him out of the show. Sheesh! That's like the worst fate for any kid character I can think of from that period.

Oh, and the Swamp Thing toon, which wasn't bad. As well as the Kenner figures from the show. Some of my most played with figures. I just really loved Swamp Thing, the horror and supernatural elements of it, and the mysterious setting of the Swamplands itself.

The '19 series was pretty good but apparently failed to make much of a wave, but I'm hoping this new movie can top it. I guess the '19 series wasn't THAT big of a failure or they wouldn't already be considering a film.
Thanks. I just changed my avatar to see if I could get IMJ to literally melt, but I am warming up to it.

I’ve never actually seen any of the Swamp Thing adaptions, sans the 2019 series. That show had awesome visual effects but left me a little cold. I’ve been considering checking out the old movie adaptions, out of curiosity, because I am such a big fan of the comics. In particular the Alan Moore and Rick Veitch runs.

Really, that Alan Moore run has to be one of the greatest runs in comics. I’ve been meaning to read both the Mark Millar/Morrison run and the recent series by Ram V and Mike Perkins.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:04 PM   #70
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:

Bare minimum with Mangold in charge, at least we know that Swamp Thing dies in the end. Then he can grow an offspring so it's not the legacy character anymore and DC will be sloppy seconds to Groot. Except Swamp Thing glows a soft-warm green, so that's cool.

Quote:
Thanks. I just changed my avatar to see if I could get IMJ to literally melt, but I am warming up to it.
NOOooohohoho....I don't actually care about Swamp Thing... you do. Besides after your implied talk that you are expert, it looks like you are tourist, instead! At least I grew up seeing the Swamp Thing movies. At least I watched that character whose avatar you are pimping there now.... you didn't! HAHAHAHHAHA It's even better now!!! Aqua gettin' fresh with a little moist piece of moss he keeps next to his Turtles and film collection... mwa mwa mossmanny I love youuuuuu.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade While On His Lithium Dose
Ah yes. - Scratches chin cerebrally- This movie slate of Swamp Thing and some F-Lister I.P. T.V. shows shall truly reinvigorate a Film Universe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade Off Meds & In This Thread
OHMY**** I N G GAWWWDDD! YOU AREN"T EXPERTS YOU DIDN"T READ THE SLATEIDIDBUTNOTYOUuuuu! OH MY GOD!!! -bangs on keyboard and eats the keys- AHHH Give me this win INEEDTHISWIIIIIN!!
Dude, stop Aqua-Parading around the room and clean it. That moss in your room that's so warm and soft? It's not supposed to be there - if you clean the room and remove the sticky old action figures the moss will go away.

Because your Daddy never told, I will.... I love you, son.

Last edited by IMJ; 02-01-2023 at 03:16 PM.
IMJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:23 PM   #71
AquaParade
Banned

Wow, that worked better than I expected.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:30 PM   #72
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Wow, that worked better than I expected.
That's your takeaway from that?

Quote:
I want to be clear that I’m not against you having a negative opinion on the slate, it’s just the way you present it seems extremely …pouty?
It seems like you’re mad at the slate. Am I getting that right? Are you mad at the slate?
Again with the "You guys are losing your MINDS!! ahahahaha!!" sort of rhetoric. No, I'm not mad at the slate. The only time I've felt anything beyond apathy for the DC "slate" in years is the 5 minutes when it looked like we'd get another Cavill Superman movie. I guess my invested interest in the HBO Max Green Lantern show went from "dread" to "possible hope," so there's that going on. But yeah, other than that, right back to apathy. Now, I understand you seem pretty heavily and emotionally invested in the slate that was unveiled so I can also understand how a little bit of projection might be happening.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-01-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:37 PM   #73
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:

Again with the "You guys are losing your MINDS!! ahahahaha!!" sort of rhetoric. No, I'm not mad at the slate. The only time I've felt anything beyond apathy for the DC "slate" in years is the 5 minutes when it looked like we'd get another Cavill Superman movie. So yeah, right back to apathy. Now, I understand you seem pretty heavily and emotionally invested in the slate that was unveiled so I can also understand that a little bit of projection might be happening.
I can understand how I seem emotionally invested but the truth is you guys were literally getting smarmy when you didn’t even realize what movies were actually announced. You just looked at the titles and went off. I am emotionally invested in people knowing what they’re talking about, sure.

I’m just saying you seem to have a passionate hatred for the slate. What would you have wanted announced?
Old 02-01-2023, 04:11 PM   #74
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
the recent series by Ram V and Mike Perkins.
The Ram V run is fantastic. It's a new swamp thing in that run. The artwork is really well done . There are 3 books covering the whole 16 issue run. The final book is out next week
Old 02-01-2023, 04:14 PM   #75
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
The Ram V run is fantastic. It's a new swamp thing in that run. The artwork is really well done . There are 3 books covering the whole 16 issue run. The final book is out next week
Sweet. I saw some of the artwork and I knew I had to get to it eventually. Have you read the Mark Millar run? Curious about that one.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:44 PM   #76
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Sweet. I saw some of the artwork and I knew I had to get to it eventually. Have you read the Mark Millar run? Curious about that one.
no just Len Wein's and Alan Moore's run and his appearances in Justlce League Dark that Ram V did
Old 02-01-2023, 04:53 PM   #77
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:

Dude. He needs a win, man.
IMJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:35 PM   #78
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post

Dude. He needs a win, man.
Wait, did you want a response to… that meltdown you posted? Idk what to say, man. Get well soon?
Old 02-02-2023, 03:34 AM   #79
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I am somewhat happy Swamp Thing gets another chance, the HBO series wasn't that long ago, perhaps rather than reboot it should be a continuation of that show, i feel like they could be missing a trick if they don't do that.

No doubt a mix of Ram V and Alan Moore would be best for the film

Quote:
The only time I've felt anything beyond apathy for the DC "slate" in years is the 5 minutes when it looked like we'd get another Cavill Superman movie.
Why has it suddenly become a thing to think Henry would have been the answer to DC's problems necessarily? Cavill would not have made any significant bank as Superman if he came back, that was proven when Black Adam came out. Henry is squandered potential, but it's been ten years, that's time enough to admit that nothing's worked out and we must move on to something new.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 02-02-2023 at 04:07 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:43 AM   #80
AquaParade
Banned

Ooh Andrew’s meltdown is because he is mad at Gunn ditching Cavill. I can see it now.

Cavill deserved another shot but that’s not Gunn’s fault.

Tags
aquaparade goes nuts