The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #201
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Disappointing that City Fall didn't create an actual jump in readers, but those are still healthy sales. The Villain Micro series numbers are starting to get ugly... although B&R just might help a bit

Very excited to see how New Animated Adventures sold this month.
That was my concern as soon as you posted the numbers for Baxter Stockman. I would have thought a stable 14,000. I do expect Old Hob and Alopex to score lower since theyy are new characters not recgonizable to non-readers of this series. If. Baxter is only pulling between 11.3 and 11.4 Hob's numbers coming soon may be just 4 digits of copies. I hoped for this to go on to cover each character yet it may just not be the case.

An alternate cover by Eastman for the Bebop and Rocksteady issue should bring in a healthy number especially if there more like Rat_King out there.Hear this IDW?
Old 08-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #202
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Updated first post with latest numbers.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #203
CyberCubed
Overlord

The series generally remains consistent around the 16,000-19,000 range of sales for the main series. Most of the spikes has to do with people buying alternate covers and whatnot. Looks fine there.

We should probably start worrying about the micros though. Alopex only sold 10,000 and the one before only 11,000. From the looks of things the micros might come to an end after #8 which will be Shredder's issue.

I do wonder how the Bebop/Rocksteady micro will do. That cover just screams, "Buy me!" to anyone who grew up with the original toon.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #204
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I do wonder how the Bebop/Rocksteady micro will do. That cover just screams, "Buy me!" to anyone who grew up with the original toon.
Gets a big "Burn me!" from me, or at the very least a "Stop in front of me at the rack, sigh, shake your head, and keep on walking by."
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #205
Tazi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
We should probably start worrying about the micros though. Alopex only sold 10,000 and the one before only 11,000.
That's kind of a shame, Alopex issue had the best writing of all the villain micros so far.

B&R issue will probably be picked up by a few more people, cuz the OT-love, but it doesn't mean that much, Krang also was big in OT.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #206
pingclang
Stone Warrior

I'm friends with a guy who runs a comic shop and the only people getting the Micros are us hardcores. I think the general fan just doesn't want a bunch of minis and side stories to read. They just want that once a month fix. Still, 10,000 ain't bad.
pingclang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #207
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingclang View Post
I'm friends with a guy who runs a comic shop and the only people getting the Micros are us hardcores. I think the general fan just doesn't want a bunch of minis and side stories to read. They just want that once a month fix. Still, 10,000 ain't bad.
10,000 is pretty bad, Alopex is the lowest selling IDW TMNT comic ever. It might have to do with Alopex being an obscure character to most though.

The Krang micro did decently, and I think the Bebop/Rocksteady and Shredder one could do well. Maybe the Hun micro too.

If not, we might be saying goodbye to the Micros in the future.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #208
Tazi
Mad Scientist

I think he ment that 10,000 is a pretty acceptable stat, comparing it with other idw books or other comic books. (obviously DC/Marvel sells a lot more, that doesn't mean anything)
Old 08-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #209
pingclang
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazi View Post
I think he ment that 10,000 is a pretty acceptable stat, comparing it with other idw books or other comic books. (obviously DC/Marvel sells a lot more, that doesn't mean anything)
That is what I was saying, you just aren't going to get huge numbers from IDW like you would at the big 2. As for the Micros going away, Cubed, that's fine by me. After Shredder we will have had 16 micros between the heroes and villains. I think that's enough. It's a MICRO series, not a friggin ongoing.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #210
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior

More mini-series like Secret History of the Foot Clan would be welcome in my book however.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #211
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

10,000 copies doesn't strike me as bad for a side-story based on a book from an independent publisher that's hovering between 15-20k for the main series. You can't expect everyone reading the main book to be hardcore and always buying the one-shots as well--and I've heard the one-shots can be hard to find in some markets for whatever reason, too. You also have to take those who trade-wait into account.

The only IDW book consistently selling better is My Little Pony (...bronies... ). Expect the X-Files book to drop a great deal in the next couple months; #1's of big name series generally get a bump from collectors, especially when multiple covers are involved (look at TMNT's 30k launch). (Also, personally, I wasn't crazy about X-Files #1 and don't plan on picking up any more of it.)

The TMNT one-shots have outsold most of IDW's other books, including popular licenses like Doctor Who, Star Trek, GI Joe, Ghostbusters and Transformers. Even the villain one-shots are doing better numbers than most of those other ongoing series. If IDW's other series normally sold hundreds of thousands of copies a month, yeah, 10k would be a problem. Truth is, many of IDW's non-Pony/Turtles books seem to have trouble even breaking 10k to begin with. I don't think the Turtles are going anywhere soon.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #212
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Also, as far as the micros go, I don't think we need a micro every month, but maybe 4-8 a year would be nice. The micros have done a great job of fleshing out the IDW universe, foreshadowing future plotlines in the main series and giving some of the side characters room to grow. I expect a break in the micros after City Fall while the Turtles go off to lick their wounds and the creative team takes time for a breather after this monster storyline, but my gut says we'll probably get another round in 2014. I like the idea of team-up one-shots. Or maybe we'll get a few issues focusing on Hob's speculated mutant antihero team if that happens.

...Now that I think about it, they could even do something where they combine heroes and villains/antiheroes for one-shots. Raphael & Alopex. Michelangelo & Slash. Leonardo & Karai. Donatello & Baxter Stockman. Heck, how about Casey & April vs Bebop & Rocksteady, where they have to cleverly deal with the pair without the Turtles around? That sort of thing. There are plenty of stories to tell outside the main book. Personally, I've been loving the one-shots...

Last edited by Joey Kamikaze; 08-09-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #213
pingclang
Stone Warrior

I don't hate the Micro-series, I just think that we've had enough, once it comes to an end. I agree with you, Joey, that some interesting team-ups could be fun and a good read. I never realized that TMNT was IDWs biggest seller, I read on CBR that Transformers: Regeneration One was in the top spot, but I guess that source was wrong? It's good to hear that Turtles draws that big a crowd.

Also, we now have the Animated Adventures series to sate our hunger with too. It's only been one issue so far but it was a good read and if the quality keeps, could be good for IDW as well.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #214
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

As crazy as this sounds...I think one of the factors is the lack of 2 standard A/B covers for the villains micros. I know if a portion of the fanbase is like me, they are only buying 1 copy instead of 2.

I'm not saying that's the reason, I just know that I'm buying half of what I used to because only half is available.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #215
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its obvious that the casuals don't bother buying the micros for whatever reason. They're just content with the main series.

I don't see why though, they're missing huge parts of the story by not following the micros. Especially Fugitoid's issue, Leonardo's, Raphael's and April's.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #216
pingclang
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Its obvious that the casuals don't bother buying the micros for whatever reason. They're just content with the main series.

I don't see why though, they're missing huge parts of the story by not following the micros. Especially Fugitoid's issue, Leonardo's, Raphael's and April's.
Eh, you can still enjoy the main series without having read the Micros. Some folks just want or can only afford the one book to get their Turtles craving filled each month and don't HAVE to have the side-stories.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #217
ToTheNines
[sic]

July:

146. TMNT #24 - 16,484
200. Alopex - 11,031

New Animated Adventures #1 ranked in at 165 selling 14,397 copies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Updated first post with latest numbers.
I noticed you have Alopex as the June Micro. Old Hob came out in June, and Alopex was July.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #218
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
July:

146. TMNT #24 - 16,484
200. Alopex - 11,031

New Animated Adventures #1 ranked in at 165 selling 14,397 copies.

I noticed you have Alopex as the June Micro. Old Hob came out in June, and Alopex was July.

What happened to the main ongoing? What storybeat scared off readership that seemed strong as the entry point of City Fall part 1 proved solid? Perhaps we each should pleadge to attempt to recruit one new reader each before #26? That might help spike it back up to 20,000 where I feel more comfortable with the sales.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #219
CyberCubed
Overlord

People buy alternate covers, that inflates sales.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #220
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What happened to the main ongoing? What storybeat scared off readership that seemed strong as the entry point of City Fall part 1 proved solid? Perhaps we each should pleadge to attempt to recruit one new reader each before #26? That might help spike it back up to 20,000 where I feel more comfortable with the sales.
#22 didn't have an actual jump in readers, a bunch of people had to buy 100 copies to get the Eastman sketch variant.

The book is selling great though. Other than MLP, Turtles is IDW's best selling book (I guess there's X-Files, too. But that's on #2). You have to keep in mind that this isn't DC and Marvel... I mean, Turtles is far ahead of GI Joe, Transformers, Ghostbusters and plenty of IDW's tentpole titles.

Also, even though it went down in rank, did you notice that the Micro series jumped in sales?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion