The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Have you developed any new interests lately and/or dropped previous ones?

Straight forward question, pretty much.

I haven't watched anime in a long time, really. I wouldn't say I've outgrown it, but I just haven't completed an anime series since... 2015.

However, I have outgrown pro wrestling some years ago. I just can't bring myself to watch WWE or any wrestling at all these days other than the occasional old WWF/WWE segment for nostalgia purposes.

I also have been slowly losing interest in football/soccer. I no longer follow foreign leagues or keep track of big transfers. I only watch my team's games and tbh I've missed about half of them this season so far.

I don't think I've gained any new interests recently, but I've been exploiting possibilities. What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Nah all of my interests have been the same since when I was 10 though I do have a fondness for tv comedies.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Nah all of my interests have been the same since when I was 10 though I do have a fondness for tv comedies.
Well I like video game and the TMNt still, but my opinions and tastes regarding both have obviously changed throughout the years.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Well I like video game and the TMNt still, but my opinions and tastes regarding both have obviously changed throughout the years.
Well if we are going by tastes then when I was a kid I use to love flashy fight scenes and big waves of energy, now I prefer my fights to be more grounded or have a sense of strategy to them
Old 03-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Well if we are going by tastes then when I was a kid I use to love flashy fight scenes and big waves of energy, now I prefer my fights to be more grounded or have a sense of strategy to them
Considering I like One Piece, I wouldn't say I have a problem with flashy fights.

Speaking of anime, I think one of the reasons I haven't felt like watching an anime series in a few years by now is due to most animes being targeted at teenagers or very young adults(under 22). The older I get the harder it is for me to relate to an anime/manga character younger than 20.

I have a similar problem with the Turtles. For most of my life the Turtles were either the cool older guys I looked up to or my peers. Now it's almost like I could be their older step-brother or cousin. One day I'll be old enough to be their father.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I regained my interest to draw again after a year and a half of art block. Life is strange, but thank God I get to do what I love once more.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

As of late and the last several years, not really.

As for pending possible developed interests... Still contemplating trying martial arts, as I've thought about for the last couple of years or more. With the job ending soon and giving me more free time until I find something else (and maybe something that will leave me with a better schedule and more energy?), I've been thinking about it more. But I'm kind of afraid.

Although it helps a tiny bit that I saw a review the other day that a woman left back 2016 for the place I've been considering. Openly stated she was terrified going into it, but it had been a good experience so far. I commented and she was nice enough to reply (and is still with it after two years) and encouraged me to try it out.

So... we'll see. If only I could get someone to go try it with me.

Quote:
I have a similar problem with the Turtles. For most of my life the Turtles were either the cool older guys I looked up to or my peers. Now it's almost like I could be their older step-brother or cousin. One day I'll be old enough to be their father.

Pretty much the only way I've gotten around this is collectively as a franchise I just tend to think of them more in terms of being their real life (franchise) age. (Obviously that can't be applied directly to versions such as 2012 that do seem young for once, so youngsters in an individual series, but in "real life"... a bunch of 34-year-olds.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-27-2018 at 06:20 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
As of late and the last several years, not really.

As for pending possible developed interests... Still contemplating trying martial arts, as I've thought about for the last couple of years or more. With the job ending soon and giving me more free time until I find something else (and maybe something that will leave me with a better schedule and more energy?), I've been thinking about it more. But I'm kind of afraid.

Although it helps a tiny bit that I saw a review the other day that a woman left back 2016 for the place I've been considering. Openly stated she was terrified going into it, but it had been a good experience so far. I commented and she was nice enough to reply (and is still with it after two years) and encouraged me to try it out.

So... we'll see. If only I could get someone to go try it with me.
When is it too old to start something like martial arts?

Also, job ending soon? You're losing your job? That sucks.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
When is it too old to start something like martial arts?

Also, job ending soon? You're losing your job? That sucks.
I'm not sure and I've wondered. I'll be 39 (*choke*) next month, so part of my thinking is for it to be something good to help stay active and fit before age is allowed to have a chance to set in. (At the moment I'm still nowhere near being any amount of old. Only in number.) I've read about people who started at 40. And the woman who replied doesn't look all that young herself in her Facebook pic (the review was on FB).

I wouldn't be looking to do it competitively or anything like that, and the place I've considered doesn't really focus on that as a goal, which is a plus.

Yup, company decided to close our store, along with over 100 others.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:10 AM   #10
newfan
Mad Scientist

Nothing wrong with starting martial arts unless you have a health problem that would prevent it.
I've had an on and off interest in doing Yoga and Pilates over some years but have now found a Pilates class I am going to dedicate to every week, I felt a lot of muscles pull in the first class so I'm going to stick at it

Otherwise my new interest in recent years is TMNT.

Last edited by newfan; 03-31-2018 at 12:22 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #11
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I lost interest in anime a few years ago.

Haven’t paid much attention to popular music since 2016, though that was also the case even when I was younger.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:16 PM   #12
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Lost alot of interest in modern video games, a different story back in like 2009/10ish when I used to play games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and the newest Grand Theft Auto for hours on end.

These days, the only video games I play are usually just the Gameboy Pokemon titles on my phone emulator, Super Smash Bros Melee on Dolphin and Counter-Strike 1.6.

The only modern video games I follow semi-regularly is the news about Pokemon/Super Smash Bros on switch. I also check every November out of curiosity to see whats the title of the next Call of Duty, followed by me forgetting about its existence

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #13
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Lost interest in modern video games, too. Most of them don’t interest me at all. Too many sequels and remakes, imo. The most recent game I’ve liked was Tomodachi Life for the 3DS.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #14
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
I also have been slowly losing interest in football/soccer. I no longer follow foreign leagues or keep track of big transfers. I only watch my team's games and tbh I've missed about half of them this season so far.
What soccer club is that?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #15
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

ALWAYS.

It's the story of my life.

I had a "Dalek phase" before Utroms, and I'm pretty sure a "Rat Creature phase" (from Bone) before them. And it just keeps going on from there.

My deviantART is a good time capsule for what I've been into through the years.

I'll always keep interest on a lot of things, but 'big focuses' will generally never go away.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #16
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I lost interest in TMNT cartoons. I got slowly less and less interested in the 2012 cartoon and I am not ecstatic about Rise of The Turtles concepts at all. However, my Other Media TMNT fanatic with disinterest in the comics has flipped. Now, I am eager to read the next issue the moment I finish an IDW book and look into theories and everything related to the IDW incarnation. So I am still a big-time Ninja Turtles fans its just my preferences have been readjusted.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I lost interest in TMNT cartoons. I got slowly less and less interested in the 2012 cartoon and I am not ecstatic about Rise of The Turtles concepts at all. However, my Other Media TMNT fanatic with disinterest in the comics has flipped. Now, I am eager to read the next issue the moment I finish an IDW book and look into theories and everything related to the IDW incarnation. So I am still a big-time Ninja Turtles fans its just my preferences have been readjusted.
Did you watch every ep of the Nick show?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #18
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I've picked up an interest in Star Wars, actually. The polarizing responses to The Last Jedi really renewed my interest in the Expanded Universe, something I haven't read since grade school.

I'm enjoying reading through it, a book at a time.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #19
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Did you watch every ep of the Nick show?
Every single one and own every episode of the series on DVD.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #20
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

My newest interest has been due to my boyfriend. He's yoinked me off into Dungeons and Dragons.

I especially like painting the figurines. I should share some of the ones I've done.

And I've only really developed one character, but I love her.