The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

New Rugrats TV Show & Live Action Movie

Quote:
Nickelodeon is reviving the animated kids series “Rugrats” with a 26-episode order and a live-action film from Paramount Players.
Production has already begun on the new series, though no premiere date or cast information has been announced. Arlene Klasky, Gábor Csupó and Paul Germain, creators of the original 1991 series, will return as executive producers.
The movie, which is written by David Goodman and described as a “live-action film featuring CGI characters,” is slated for a November 13, 2020 release.

Both projects will feature the original characters Tommy Pickles, Chuckie Finster, twins Phil and Lil DeVille and Angelica Pickles, as well as introduce new ones. It becomes the latest Nick project to get a revival, following the recently announced return of “Blue’s Clues” and upcoming “Rocko’s Modern Life” and “Invader Zim” specials.

"Rugrats is hands-down one of the most celebrated cartoons in TV history, and we are thrilled for a whole new audience to meet these iconic characters in brand-new adventures,” said Sarah Levy, COO, Viacom Media Networks; and Interim President, Nickelodeon. “What was true in 1991 when the original show premiered is still true today: kids are fascinated with the world of babies. We can’t wait for today’s kids to meet Tommy, Chuckie and pals.”
“Now feels like the ideal time to reintroduce this iconic cast of characters to a whole new generation of young fans,” said Brian Robbins, President of Paramount Players. “Kids who grew up with Tommy Pickles and the Rugrats crew will now be able to share that experience with their own children.”
https://www.thewrap.com/rugrats-nick...mount-players/

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
sdp
-

I always wondered what was taking them so long, Rugrats was HUGE and it seems to have been mostly forgotten. I would've guessed a CG movie might've been the best choice but live action CG? hmmm, doesn't feel me with confidence.

I think a new show has a very tough act to follow, how exactly is it going to differentiate itself from the original? It'll be attacked by grown up manbabies for it not being like the original even if it did something new and original. If it doesn't it's just going to be a bad version of the original like the PowerPuff Girls reboot. If the show is CG it could be more interesting but who knows.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I find it so bizarre that I've been having dreams of the series being revived over the past couple of years and little did I know that they would actually be predicting the future. Right now I'm not sure about seeing the live-action film. The way they are describing it really doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

As for the new series, the articles I've read don't say whether or not Dil will be in the series. If he is, however, a part of it, then I really hope it's not deja vu for E.G. Daily and Tara Strong when they got replaced in the new Powerpuff Girls series along with Cathy Cavadini. However, the fact the original show's creators are returning sounds promising. We still don't have word if Kimmy will be back either.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
sdp
-

Rugrats is one of the biggest shows in the 90s, helped put Nickelodeon on the map, the most mainstream Nicktoon, of course it was going to be back, that's a safe prediction to make.

They mention the original cast is back but with new babies so I'm guessing Everyone not in season 1 will not appear, especially not Dill since he's seen as a jump the shark kinda character. Susie was added somewhat early so she might get in, Kimmy on the other hand not so sure, I don't think many people liked her, though those two did add diversity to the cast and I'd rather have them back than make Chucky black.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Live action Rugrats? So basically Look Who's Talking but with Rugrats characters...
Old 07-17-2018, 12:46 AM   #6
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Could the tv show be a continuation or is it a brand new version restarting? Either way it obviously ignores All Grown Up which was ok imo.

I’ve been seeing the reruns of much later episodes. I didn’t back then because I just drifted apart from the show but they’re pretty good.

Live Action with cgi babies sounds more like Baby Geniuses. I never actually saw it but it’s what I imagine what it would be closer to. Some grand adventure for the babies to go on.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:49 AM   #7
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
Live action Rugrats? So basically Look Who's Talking but with Rugrats characters...
First thing that I've thought about.
Uncanny valley ahoy!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #8
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
They mention the original cast is back but with new babies so I'm guessing Everyone not in season 1 will not appear, especially not Dill since he's seen as a jump the shark kinda character.
Even when I was a kid, I remember thinking that Dil was like the Scrappy-Doo of Rugrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #9
ZariusTwo
Overlord

If only All Grown Up had been about them as adults with their own babies
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #10
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Never could get into Rugrats.

If they want to do another animated series then fine but a live action movie is a horrible idea.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Here is a video explaining what lead to the decline of the original series. The video makes very good points about how behind-the-scenes drama can lead to decline in the product quality.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #12
sdp
-

Isn't that an old video? I watched it, not a very good one either. The Rugrats died because it had run its course, people stopped watching so they introduced more characters with new writers and it wasn't the same. It's easy to put the blame on that exactly but kids were just not watching anymore before that happened. I know because I was a kid then and after the movie I just didn't care much for Rugrats.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #13
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Isn't that an old video? I watched it, not a very good one either. The Rugrats died because it had run its course, people stopped watching so they introduced more characters with new writers and it wasn't the same.
I think that's the point of the video. The show's heart and soul was gone with the departure of the old team and it became more the simplified vision of the co-creator rather than something more thought provoking.

I remember really liking the Rugrats newspaper strip and wondering why they never tried something along it's lines (it would have made Angelica more sympathetic as she actively crushed on Chuckie in the strip, something not mirrored in the cartoon or it's spin-off)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:34 PM   #14
sdp
-

Yeah, I realize that, my point is that even with the original writers the idea had already worn itself out. The movie was like one last hoorah and after that I lost interest and most did too, it's easy to blame the writers but I feel even with them it wouldn't have lasted.

I mean all grown up was a success counting it had 5 seasons even if not as big as the original show. But it worked because it was a different concept. Horrible idea and horrific to see the babies as teenagers, I remember when I caught the show back in the day it wasn't really horrible though even if it had all the elements for it to be.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:42 AM   #15
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The movie was cancelled back in November.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/rugrats...un-1202784527/

The TV revival is still happening and might air sometime in the fall according to Nancy Cartwright (Chuckie).

Tara Strong said that Dil will not be in the first season, but the door is still open for him to appear later. The same can be said for Kimmi.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RiseFallN...94872586571777
Old 02-24-2021, 06:41 PM   #16
sdp
-

Old 02-24-2021, 06:54 PM   #17
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Huh. I actually like it.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:53 PM   #18
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I saw it before it was removed. The look and cgi is really good. Too bad it’s another streaming exclusive.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:57 PM   #19
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I saw the clip..humour's certaingly on point, the animation looks a bit barren though.

Glad they opened it on Angelica and Chucky, the only two I've ever 'shipped on this show.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:55 AM   #20
Vicky82
Emperor

This looks adorable, I will be watching this.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote