The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
pennydreadful
trash

Anime and manga appreciation and discussion thread

Like it says, kids - this thread is for discussion of any and all topics related to manga and anime. If you like anime or manga, or want to connect with other fans of your favorite series - this is the thread for you!

And let's try to keep it friendly and non-bashy.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Peanut
Second Gear

This thread exists.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Sure does.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=35581
Old 07-04-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
pennydreadful
trash

Yeah, but it's kind of old... like, 2013 old. I didn't know whether it would be more annoying to start a new thread, or necro-post the old one. I thought maybe a new thread would be a good jumping-off point for recent members to join in.

Sorry guys, dunno if it was the right decision but I made the call. *shrugs*

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
Old 07-05-2014, 03:04 AM   #5
JamieH
Thug

I still think it's the most gar anime series. Sure, the animation shows it's age, and it has some slumps here and there along the way in the story. Yet, it's the grandfather of the shounen genre, and badasses are proper badasses. It's cheesy and over the top and gory and violent and filled with testosterone. But there's no flying monkeys or brightly dressed ninjas or pirates that can't swim. It's completely unapologetic about what it is, and what it is is a man on a mission of vengeance traveling the wasteland exploding the heads of those that get in his way with punches. It's Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star), and you don't want to **** with Kenshiro.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
pennydreadful
trash

So what do you feel was the best age for anime? I'm getting the feeling you're an 80's man...

Also, what does everyone here think of Neon Genesis Evangelion? I know it was a gateway anime for a lot of people starting out (myself included)... but I kind of feel like I've outgrown it, or maybe I'm just having trouble connecting with it in the same way that I used to.

I heard that Hideaki Anno (the director of the anime) used his own experiences with clinical depression as inspiration for a lot of the more psychological moments. That was one of the things I enjoyed most about the show, but by the same token, these days I have a lot of trouble tolerating Shinji as a character for those same reasons - I find him overly emo.

Anyone else got any thoughts or opinions?

Old 07-21-2015, 05:39 AM   #7
JakeSully
Banned

Who wants a new polished gritter reboot of this infamous anime series?

With the successes of recent graphic horror like Saw, Hostel and Human Centipede, it makes sense to do a new Urotsukidoji reboot series for a new generation to shock and show demon tentacles to a new generation and have the guys who did the Sailor Moon reboot to do the animation for it.
JakeSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 PM   #8
Mona_Lisa
Stone Warrior

I really don't remember who it was, but somebody on this form was going on about how good Bleach Was... So when I saw it on Netflix I decided to give it a try and, Wow it was awesome.... But there was only 3 Seasons!!!!! Now I got to know what happens next * Netflix you are evil for doing this to me *. I wonder, should I look for the episodes on YouTube or Start reading the manga???? Suggestions anyone?
Old 07-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
Peanut
Second Gear

My best piece of advice for anyone who wants to watch a bunch of anime is to invest in a Crunchyroll account. It's cheap (I pay $7 cdn a month) and it has pretty much everything you'd ever want to watch on it, as it's released in Japan. I pair that with a Funimation account and pretty much nothing is inaccessible. I have a bunch of Crunchyroll 48 hour guest passes, so if you'd like I can send you one and you can check out the service yourself. They have every episodes of Bleach.

I am surprised to hear you've been able to come in fresh to Bleach and get into it, cause I honestly see nothing but b*tching about it, even from people who are self-professed hardcore fans of the series. I've wanted to give it a try, but even advocates for it are a fountain of negativity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MewMeow View Post
Nice. I just hit episode 58 of One Piece.
Nice! You've got a long way to go, but it always makes me happy to see people get into it.

Anyways, I ran through Part 1 of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime in the last few days and thought it was really cool! I'm gonna start Part 2 today, not knowing what I'm in for at all. I love how Part 1 is basically the entirety of a typical shonen manga/anime condensed into 10 episodes.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #10
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

I know the naruto anime ended in the japanese version, but I still wanted to know if anyone is waiting for the dubbed version to end to finish watching it.

I started watching the anime late, like 3 months ago. And now that I've caught up to the dubbed version, I have to watch one episode a week because it's still dubbing. So I stopped and decided to wait.
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #11
Powder
So tired of this place

Following Non Non Biyori: Repeat & Himouto! Umaru-Chan right now, both being 3 episodes in at present.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Working my way through the 12 volumes of Gundam: The Origin. The tone is very different from the original TV series.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #13
Allio
Foot Elite

Just read the recent chapter of the yandere manga, "Happy Sugar Life"

it reveals that Sato's aunt

Spoiler:
is not dead
Spoiler:
is a masochistic nympho
Spoiler:
and is psychologically responsible for Sato's outlook on love and why her niece is yandere
Spoiler:
may or not know about the little girl (the yandere affliction) that her neice has locked up.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #14
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Already posted my thoughts on Sega Hard Girls in another thread, but I figure here is a good a place as anywhere to gush about it some more.

A very humorous and fun-filled anime, definitely a new favorite of mine. You really get to know the characters in the short time, and they each have their moments.

A real treat for those who grew up playing on SEGA consoles, plenty of fun references to games from all the systems.

The animation is surprisingly good for something 3D, and that's another plus.

Just give it a chance, most people don't because they think it's too weird, but it's really good once you watch it.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:41 AM   #15
Allio
Foot Elite

Got caught up of The Promised Neverlanf and Platinum End, both good
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #16
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I've been watching Monster Musame. It's still embarrassing watching this kind of show. But I like it. My favorite girl is Miia. She has a kind heart and a great personality. And I've always been partial to reptiles.
Rachnee is also a favorite of mine, for obvious reasons. Who doesn't like arachnids?

It's a very fun show with plenty of romance. Loads interesting characters with lots of personality.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:47 PM   #17
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
I've been watching Monster Musame. It's still embarrassing watching this kind of show. But I like it. My favorite girl is Miia. She has a kind heart and a great personality. And I've always been partial to reptiles.
Rachnee is also a favorite of mine, for obvious reasons. Who doesn't like arachnids?

It's a very fun show with plenty of romance. Loads interesting characters with lots of personality.
Waifu:
Miia
Mero
Zombiina

Daughteru:
Suu
Tio
Old 05-31-2017, 04:53 PM   #18
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Waifu:
Miia
Mero
Zombiina

Daughteru:
Suu
Tio
Now where do Papi, Cerea, and Rachnee fall on your list?
Old 05-31-2017, 05:23 PM   #19
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

can we not have unironic neckbeard garbage in this thread pls
Old 05-31-2017, 05:33 PM   #20
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Now where do Papi, Cerea, and Rachnee fall on your list?
Honestly, Cerea and Rachnee are people I could see myself being friends with. You know, go out for drinks and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
can we not have unironic neckbeard garbage in this thread pls
unironic **** is the best **** ever.