The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
Ninjinister
無問題

Batman/TMNT 2

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/09/13/dc-entertainment-idw-publishing-and-nickelodeon-join-forces-again?sf113801741=1

Yay
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i'm just about ready to start doing a snoopy dance!!

Old 09-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Its really round 3. It was great to see Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon interacting with the Turtles.

I do wonder if this one will be a follow up to the Shredder/Ra's mutating Arkham inmates story-line.

After everything I am hoping we could get a crossover with Sonic The Hedgehog by this time next year. We had a tease before, but the titles were only being published alongside each other in Archie for a brief period.

Then there is Spider-Man!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
turtlefan27
Foot Soldier

This totally made my day! So exciting
turtlefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Huh. I kinda lost interest in the first one (and never had interest in the NickTMNT/Batman) when all the rogues got mutated...

Not a fan of Donnie being the least skilled fighter in IDW (one of the worst Donnie stereotypes... thanks, 4Kids and Nick cartoons ) but I do love me some Bane.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well, it's got Bane in there... now I have to read it. That's my dawg.

I'd be lying if I said this, like the first one, doesn't make me sad on some level. Here are these awesome Batman crossovers I've always wanted to see with TMNT... and it's not with Mirage.

But whatever.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Bane tries to take over New York... Ok, I honestly didn't know what to expect from a second crossover. Wonder who he'll team up with?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Its really round 3.
same, but different.

i'm really excited to see where the story picks up.

especially since they've already got all the introductions out of the way in the first story.

just really wish that whole (Turtles traveling to the DCU causing their Mutagen to become inert) wasn't a thing.

it kind of limits the story a bit.

for that reason i really enjoyed the 'Animated Adventures' version cross-over.

but i am still REALLY excited for this!!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Well, it's got Bane in there... now I have to read it. That's my dawg.

I'd be lying if I said this, like the first one, doesn't make me sad on some level. Here are these awesome Batman crossovers I've always wanted to see with TMNT... and it's not with Mirage.

But whatever.
True, true... but this is probably second best, given the other TMNT options.

I do really wish that for all of its zany crossovers, Mirage had made more cool crossovers happen. But different times, different business models...

C'est le vie.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
True, true... but this is probably second best, given the other TMNT options.
Oh, totally.

Quote:
I do really wish that for all of its zany crossovers, Mirage had made more cool crossovers happen. But different times, different business models...
Yeah, all we got was, like... Flaming Carrot, Creed, Cerebeus and a little bit of low-key Usagi stuff. And Savage Dragon.

If not with the Big 2, I would've loved to have seen some Dark Horse crossovers with Mirage. TMNT vs. Aliens (or the other thing) could have really put Mirage on the map. I think there was some old, bad blood between Kev/Pete and Dark Horse, though. While at Image it's also too bad there wasn't ever any push to get some kind of TMNT/Spawn crossover going... that also might have moved the needle.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #11
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

As much as I enjoyed Batman/TMNT Adventures, THIS is what I was really looking for. Can't wait.

And man, it means we're getting TMNT/Ghostbusters II and Batman/TMNT II in the same year. And in the last two months of the year, no less. IDW was holding out on us all 2017!
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #12
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Oh, totally.

Yeah, all we got was, like... Flaming Carrot, Creed, Cerebeus and a little bit of low-key Usagi stuff. And Savage Dragon.

If not with the Big 2, I would've loved to have seen some Dark Horse crossovers with Mirage. TMNT vs. Aliens (or the other thing) could have really put Mirage on the map. I think there was some old, bad blood between Kev/Pete and Dark Horse, though. While at Image it's also too bad there wasn't ever any push to get some kind of TMNT/Spawn crossover going... that also might have moved the needle.
The crossovers we got during the Mirage era were fitting for the time and what the TMNT were back then, but the character choices were whatever was indie as opposed to whatever was *good*.

I mean, for every Usagi Yojimbo or Cerebus crossover, we got a crossover with nobodies like the Rock n Rolling Minor Ants, the Annoying Post Bros, the Blazing Tales Varmints or the Miami Mice. Gnatrat was like the second highest indie caliber they could get. Most of the indie characters Mirage crossed over with are so obscure they don't even have Wikipedia articles.

I think there was probably a better middle ground Mirage could have reached for crossovers if they didn't want to do business with the Big Two. The Image era was probably it, when we got to see the Turtles meeting the Savage Dragon (who was a big deal at the time, lest we forget), but it was so short-lived, the opportunity wasn't exploited as much as it could have been.

But as pointed out, it was a different time and a different group of people. Crossing over with bigshots didn't seem like something Eastman or Laird were ever interested in doing. I think the only reason we even got all those Savage Dragon crossovers is because Michael Dooney and Erik Larsen are friends (likewise, Sakai and Laird being buds is what has gotten us all the Usagi crossovers).

Even if Mirage had held onto the TMNT and never sold out to Viacom, it's not like we'd be getting these crossovers now. Viacom owning the Turtles and being willing to branch out to more mainstream licenses is likely the ONLY reason we're getting the Turtles meeting Batman and the Ghostbusters.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I think there was probably a better middle ground Mirage could have reached for crossovers if they didn't want to do business with the Big Two. The Image era was probably it, when we got to see the Turtles meeting the Savage Dragon (who was a big deal at the time, lest we forget), but it was so short-lived, the opportunity wasn't exploited as much as it could have been.
True. It would have been neat to see the TMNT running with Dragon in his book a little bit throughout the Image run... giving their book a little more attention. A lot of folks didn't even know there was a book at the time.

Quote:
But as pointed out, it was a different time and a different group of people. Crossing over with bigshots didn't seem like something Eastman or Laird were ever interested in doing.
We know that isn't true. Eastman loooong sought a Marvel crossover with Daredevil. Marvel kept saying "no," though.

Quote:
I think the only reason we even got all those Savage Dragon crossovers is because Michael Dooney and Erik Larsen are friends (likewise, Sakai and Laird being buds is what has gotten us all the Usagi crossovers).
Probably right.

Quote:
Even if Mirage had held onto the TMNT and never sold out to Viacom, it's not like we'd be getting these crossovers now. Viacom owning the Turtles and being willing to branch out to more mainstream licenses is likely the ONLY reason we're getting the Turtles meeting Batman and the Ghostbusters.
I wouldn't say "never." And I'm not sure Viacom owning the actual IP now has much to do with things. IDW is IDW, making their own deals with licensors and such on their own. I don't think that, like, Viacom/Nick reached out to WB about doing a Batman crossover or anything and then dropped it on IDW's lap. They aren't some extension of Viacom or anything... IDW pays to license TMNT comics they want to make from Viacom and they're making the most of that and making cool deals... the same kind that Mirage could have done if they had any good mind to at any point (they didn't, of course).

The main difference, it seems to me, is IDW has a general enthusiasm for growing the brand and pursuit of big crossovers across the comics field, as well as probably a legal team and marketing people who in place and are well versed in making that happen and signing the big deals... and Mirage just had Gary Richardson. And no real interest in much of that.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-13-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #14
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Huh. I kinda lost interest in the first one (and never had interest in the NickTMNT/Batman) when all the rogues got mutated...
Completely agree I was in love with the cross-over until this happened. It was still a good cross-over, but could have been better without the Rouges getting Mutated.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Completely agree I was in love with the cross-over until this happened. It was still a good cross-over, but could have been better without the Rouges getting Mutated.
I read about that when it came out and kind of rolled my eyes. But on the other hand... what the hell else do you do in a TMNT/Batman crossover? I mean, the Foot teaming up with the League of Assassins or something seems a no-brainer, but after you have the obligatory meet-fight-and-then-team-up-to-fight-the-mutual-enemy thing, then what? And with bunches of mutants out there being a huge cornerstone of IDW TMNT, of course there'd be some kind of mutation business going on.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #16
ChosenOne
Banned

2017 will easily go down in history as the best year for the TMNT franchise when it comes to comics! So awesome!

It's almost like IDW is kicking us while we're already down from content overload!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #17
myconius
Abby Normal

in the first cross-over, instead of every single member of the Batman Rogues gallery getting Mutated ( CORNY! )
i'd much have rather seen R'as al Ghul mutating his assassins.
similar to what Talia did making the Ninja Man-Bats in Grant Morrison's 'Batman & Son'.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #18
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
I read about that when it came out and kind of rolled my eyes. But on the other hand... what the hell else do you do in a TMNT/Batman crossover? I mean, the Foot teaming up with the League of Assassins or something seems a no-brainer, but after you have the obligatory meet-fight-and-then-team-up-to-fight-the-mutual-enemy thing, then what? And with bunches of mutants out there being a huge cornerstone of IDW TMNT, of course there'd be some kind of mutation business going on.
Well as Myconius said they could have mutated league of assassin members instead the rogues. Or they could try combine the ooze with the properties of the lazarus pit to create substance the either gives immortality or a form of super soldier serum. You could also have had shedder use Banes venom on shredders foot or use the "BlockBuster formula. There is a lot they could explore given how ginormous the Batman lore is. Hell I wouldn't mind seeing a cross-over type of City at War. Shredder tries to claim Gotham as his own and the Court of Owls and Foot have it out in an all out Battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
in the first cross-over, instead of every single member of the Batman Rogues gallery getting Mutated ( CORNY! )
i'd much have rather seen R'as al Ghul mutating his assassins.
similar to what Talia did making the Ninja Man-Bats in Grant Morrison's 'Batman & Son'.
Quoting for reference
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #19
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Honestly, that was the first Batman/TMNT crossover and while it seems like a license to print money, there's never a guarantee of more in any business. Maybe DC wouldn't want to do more than one, for example. Why wouldn't you go hog wild and do something cool and crazy, like mutated Batman rogues? That's ripe for awesome visuals, has an excuse to have most make at least some appearance and is so crazy it's hard not to appreciate.

But then, I like crazy ideas and all, so maybe it just hit too far in my wheelhouse to think objectively.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #20
Powder
So tired of this place

I don't like Batman, so this doesn't excite met at all. It's already been done twice now...

I'll follow it & enjoy it for what it is, but yeah, not a big whoop for me.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote