The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 02-18-2021, 09:35 AM   #81
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I've owned a Wii U since Christmas of 2013, and I've never regretted it. I've had more fun with that console than just about any other I've owned.

If Nintendo wants to re-introduce the world to it's great library of games, then more power to them. I've been enjoying them for years.
Sure. They'd be versions that you can play on the go. They've at least got that going for them.

I've already preordered The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD on bestbuy.com.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:47 AM   #82
Leo656
The Franchise

I confess I haven't played my Wii U as much as I should've since I bought it, but that's mostly to do with 1. Finally finding the wires to hook up my NES and Genesis, and 2. Having some spare cash to pick up a bunch of games I've needed for those systems, and 3. Having enough time to finally go back and get caught up on a ton of those games that I either never played or haven't in years.

I do love it, though. At the start of the pandemic, I was staying up for like 30-hour blocks playing Hyrule Warriors and Smash Bros. I'm gonna get back to it soon, promise. One kind of backhanded compliment I can give the system is that the library is small, so that I don't need to buy a ton of games to have a "complete" collection of everything I'd want. I'm honestly fine with that, considering all the huge libraries I have for other consoles.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:55 AM   #83
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's really surprising we still haven't seen Wind Waker or Twilight Princess available on Switch yet. The Wii U already had HD versions of both... Skyward Sword, they had to do it from scratch but they're putting it out first? *shrug*
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #84
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Skyward Sword was the weakest 3D Zelda by a large margin, and this is not even counting stuff like the motion controls, just the way the game is designed.
Its design wasn't all that different from Twilight Princess which was really linear itself. Having played both games recently, I never noticed just how linear Twilight Princess was with its a to b formula, restricting where you can go until the story dictates it, forcing you to be a wolf to explore locations first before you can be human again. I still think it's the strongest game in the series in terms of combat, boss fights, dungeons, and item variety, but it was very restrictive when it came to exploration.

Skyward Sword isn't poorly designed. If anything, the design is one of the game's strongest aspects. It may not be the largest game in scope, but it's very densely packed and surprisingly long. The dungeons and boss fights were as strong as ever and the story was quite good. But I do understand why some Zelda fans may not like it because it is quite a gimmicky experience, but that didn't really bother me too much because it did exactly what the Wii was designed for and I think that makes it the best Wii experience anyone can ask for even if it's not exactly what people want in a Zelda game.

But by far, the worst 3D Zelda game for me is Majora's Mask which puts a timer on exploration just to pad out the length by having you constantly restart what you're doing. Skyward Sword is just in the unfortunate position of being the least best in a series of amazing games, 2 of which are benchmark titles for the franchise, the other 2 complete polar opposites that appeal to the sensibilities of different sides of the fandom. That just leaves Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask as the black sheep of the bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's really surprising we still haven't seen Wind Waker or Twilight Princess available on Switch yet. The Wii U already had HD versions of both... Skyward Sword, they had to do it from scratch but they're putting it out first? *shrug*
They have released a Zelda game every year since the Switch was out, so it could very well just be part of a larger release plan and they're saving it for a drought period or holding off for some Anniversary Collection. If that's the case, Skyward Sword coming in July is them just trying to get away with a singular release at full retail price before people complain that it wasn't included in the collection.

Last edited by Turo602; 02-18-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:05 PM   #85
Powder
So tired of this place

Skyward Sword is easily a top 3 or 5 LOZ title for me, but I've already beaten it like 5 times since its release, an HD port or whatever feels unnecessary AF to me. Easy pass. I can just revisit it on the Wii.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #86
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Skyward Sword is easily a top 3 or 5 LOZ title for me, but I've already beaten it like 5 times since its release, an HD port or whatever feels unnecessary AF to me. Easy pass. I can just revisit it on the Wii.
It's the only real HD retinkering they can do beyond like a FULL overhaul of "Ocarina of Time." Which they probably know is in their back pocket if they ever wanted to play that card. It'd be their "FF VII Remake." And once they did that, they could just use the same engine for "Majora's Mask."

Come to think of it, they damn well better use their "Link's Awakening" engine to bring out "A Link to the Past."
Old 02-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #87
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There's speculation that a collection will be announced later this year that is similar to Mario 3D All Stars. Windwaker, Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time recently had some new trademarks filings just like Skyward Sword. If true, Nintendo could be saving it for some big 35th anniversary announcement, perhaps also when they announce more details about BotW2.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:48 PM   #88
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 footage:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/new-zel...ild-2-footage/

Old 06-15-2021, 07:58 PM   #89
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Nintendo is releasing a Game & Watch of The Legend Of Zelda, It will have The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening.
https://www.nintendo.com/products/de...gend-of-zelda/

Old 06-15-2021, 08:01 PM   #90
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Nintendo is releasing a Game & Watch of The Legend Of Zelda, It will have The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening.
https://www.nintendo.com/products/de...gend-of-zelda/

They don't even put the colorized DX version of Link's Awakening? Lame.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:08 PM   #91
IMJ
Emperor

3 Roms on it and it's "jam packed".
You can fit a few thousand ROMS on an SD card.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:26 PM   #92
frank_one
Mad Scientist

The Super Mario Bros. one had two games on it so this is an improvement. But yeah, there's no reason they couldn't have used the colorized version of link's awakening, weird choice.
These Game & Watch are cool but at $50? No, thanks.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:42 PM   #93
Galactus
Foot Elite

Skyward Sword is the only mainline Zelda game I've never finished. I usually 100% Zeldas but as much as I tried I just could never get into it. It wasn't just the the motion controls either but I found the story boring and linearity of it took a lot of the fun of exploring away. I got quite far in but got stuck on a dungeon and went "life's too short" and never touched it again. I've read some passionate defenses of the game recently and I'd be willing to give it a second chance but I don't know if I'd be willing to fork out the price of a new game just to see if my opinion has changed.

I enjoyed Breath of the Wild much better but at the risk of sounded like I'm impossible to please it was a bit too open world. There isn't really much of a story either just the awakened memories which were dull. I do hope that they make it a more story driven and a tad more linear.

Interesting that they are using the concepts of islands in the sky again. Perhaps a good way to include new areas while still using the same map. I'm guessing this is something if a sequel to SS as it also looks like they are using the robots from that game. Also is just it me but towards the end of the trailer the sound effects sounded like the ones used in Twilight Princess just as the area converts to Twilight? I'd be up for concepts from that game returning.

As for the Game & Watch that's a hard pass. The first two games are hardly something you'd want to play on the go and it's pretty weak as a pure collectible. Maybe if they'd included A Link to the Past to cover all the classic 2D Zelda games but otherwise it's a no from me.

Last edited by Galactus; 06-17-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:46 PM   #94
Vegita-San
Emperor

I don't understand game and watch.

the title is confusing. is it a watch and a game? do you just watch it? but not if you play it?

what is the point of these?

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:57 PM   #95
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, like... can you even set an alarm with it? Then it might be somewhat useful.

"What time is it?"

"Hang on... I'd check check watch or my phone but here, let me find this giant hybrid retro video game thing in one of my pockets..."
Old 06-17-2021, 05:05 PM   #96
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I don't understand game and watch.

the title is confusing. is it a watch and a game? do you just watch it? but not if you play it?

what is the point of these?
Its a portable watch you put into your pocket that tells time, and you can play games on it too, Hence Game & Watch I have Donkey Kong 2 that has the dual screens.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #97
CyberCubed
Overlord

Why do people ask questions they can very easily find the answer of? These Game and Watch releases are collectors items made in limited quantities to celebrate the anniversaries. Obviously Zelda 1, 2, and Link's Awakening are already on Switch (and countless other Nintendo consoles), these are aimed at hardcore Nintendo fans or videogame collectors who just buy whatever new limited release item Nintendo makes each holiday.

There was the Mario 1 Game and Watch last year, and same with the NES and SNES classics they released before that.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:13 PM   #98
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Why do people ask questions they can very easily find the answer of? These Game and Watch releases are collectors items made in limited quantities to celebrate the anniversaries. Obviously Zelda 1, 2, and Link's Awakening are already on Switch (and countless other Nintendo consoles), these are aimed at hardcore Nintendo fans or videogame collectors who just buy whatever new limited release item Nintendo makes each holiday.

There was the Mario 1 Game and Watch last year, and same with the NES and SNES classics they released before that.
I wouldn't be surprise when they release other ones.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #99
sdp
-

These G&W Zelda is worthless to me, I don't want to play NES games on it, I want to play G&W games on it. I'd buy a G&W Classics that included every G&W game ever released by Nintendo. I used to love G&W Gallery on my GB.

As for those who don't know Game & Watch was the previous handheld before the game boy, it only had one game like those tiger LCD games but they're actually addicting and good. And yes it included a watch to tell the time and set alarms. I'm sure it was an innovative idea in the 80s whenever these things existed back in the stone age before the game boy and Pokemon.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:51 PM   #100
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Why do people ask questions they can very easily find the answer of?
I've been asking that for years around here.