The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-07-2018, 04:05 AM   #141
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

It was in my SPAM too.
I really don't know what to think at this point. I'm not particularly encline in filling this new form...

By the way, I can see my picture too in the "Thank you" double-page.

Last edited by Nortock Diab; 08-07-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Nortock Diab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #142
cinzel
Thug

I supported this project. At first I thought the delays were normal. Now I think this went very wrong or it was a scam from the start. Does anyone have any information about the status of the project?
cinzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #143
Kujakoo
Hench Mutant

I just recieved an email status today from the creator, that mentioned the following...

Backers, let me first start off by saying thank you to everyone who has been patient with the process. It has been a long ride, the longest and bumpiest campaign ever for me. As many of you understand, Kickstarter is not a store and delays can happen. A quick visit to various popular projects and you'll most likely see delays and complaints. in no way shape or form is this an excuse for the delays, but delays can happen and I've delivered before. So hopefully that counts for something. Also, this will not be something that can be bought in stores a year from now. Over 1000 new customer requests and counting will not be able to purchase the book that you will soon have. As stated in my last update, the end of next month and December can't get here fast enough. I've been down this road before where some have lost hope of no books and then "voilĂ ", crates of books arrive. This is not a scam and this project was far from inexpensive. I will update everyone at the end of next month. This update may not please everyone, but once the books arrive, hopefully, each and every one of you will appreciate the books that much more, considering that it will be a rarity with no reprints.

I’m still a believer that we’ll get these books despite the months of silence. “Patiences is a Virtue” someone once told me.
Kujakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #144
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Yeah, when I texted him sometime at the end of summer or so he was thinking the book was going to be a December 2018 release ... but I guess we'll see. Hopefully this thing ends up being worth the wait.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #145
Ninjinister
無問題

I honestly forget about this from time to time, like most of the other things I've backed. It'll be a surprise when it's finally out.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #146
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I honestly forget about this from time to time, like most of the other things I've backed. It'll be a surprise when it's finally out.
Heh, I know the feeling, I'm currently awaiting two print magazines, a fan film on DVD, and Andrew's Odyssey! I'm most optimistic about Odyssey being delivered first.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #147
Panther10
Hench Mutant

The longer we wait on this book makes me wonder why Nickelodeon hasn't stepped in on the release schedule and publishing duties themselves? Why are we still dealing with Jay at all? For all intents and purposes, the moment that Mr. Lawrence agreed to sign over the project rights to Nickelodeon since they are the licensor of the TMNT property, then from that point on he should have just said "Okay, sayonara...it's out of my hands now and Nick is now handling all matters regarding this book..I'll sign the check over to them. Done". Instead..it seems like Jay is the one delivering all the news and all of that news is coming through kickstarter. So if it's out of his hands, then what the hell is he even doing here? Where's the peaceful transfer of authority?

Moreover, Nickelodeon has the funds necessary to hand the rights over to any publishing company they want and they can finance as many copies of the TMNT encyclopedia as they want too. IDK...but it seems like the longer we wait the less sense this whole arrangement starts to make. And also just to put it into perspective: If you track how Mr. Lawrence has been handling the release of this book compared to how other companies like Playmates or Bandai or Neca typically conduct themselves when they make an arrangement with Nickelodion, this whole process is a sh!t show. Either Mr. Lawrence is very bad at following instructions (especially in the wake of a cease and disist gag order), or he's a sociopath and this whole thing has been a con job from the beginning. And by making repeated promises on the delivery of this book and failing to deliver each time, we are falling for this con over and over again.
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #148
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther10 View Post
The longer we wait on this book makes me wonder why Nickelodeon hasn't stepped in on the release schedule and publishing duties themselves? Why are we still dealing with Jay at all? For all intents and purposes, the moment that Mr. Lawrence agreed to sign over the project rights to Nickelodeon since they are the licensor of the TMNT property, then from that point on he should have just said "Okay, sayonara...it's out of my hands now and Nick is now handling all matters regarding this book..I'll sign the check over to them. Done". Instead..it seems like Jay is the one delivering all the news and all of that news is coming through kickstarter. So if it's out of his hands, then what the hell is he even doing here? Where's the peaceful transfer of authority?

You seem to be working off of a lot of information I've never heard of. Where did you get the idea that Nickelodeon has taken over the project?

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #149
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
You seem to be working off of a lot of information I've never heard of. Where did you get the idea that Nickelodeon has taken over the project?
It was during one of Mr. Lawrences updates this past spring when he made the announcement that Nickelodeon would first be "interested in a copy of the book." But by August that quickly escalated to shipping multiple copies of the book to Nickelodeon's warehouses in Miami where most of the batches will be delivered by them, and only a handful of books will be sent to Mr. Lawrence, along with friends and family. He also claimed that he had to hire an attorney and that he had to keep most of the details quiet.

So if you read between the lines, that says to me that he had some kind of injunction filed against him on behalf of Nick, and thus he was forced to turn over the rights of the books over to the company. Meanwhile, he seems to still somehow would be the mouthpiece for the release of this book, despite the fact that it is now in Nickelodeon's hands. So continued actions regarding this project by Mr. Lawrence would violate the terms of their agreement if such an agreement actually took place. I know he is technically the author in this situation but so far it seems like Nickelodeon has hamstrung him by force out of necessity to protect their trademark. So as it stands right now, as of August 4th, 2018, this project has been out of Mr. Lawrence's hands.
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #150
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther10 View Post
So if you read between the lines, that says to me that he had some kind of injunction filed against him on behalf of Nick, and thus he was forced to turn over the rights of the books over to the company.
Interesting story. But from what I know, you're very much wrong.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #151
Dragnskull
Stone Warrior

im a backer of the project

He never said nick "took over" the project, he said he wound up in contact with nick and was working "very close" with them (maybe not an exact quote) on the project now.

My guess is the project probably gained enough exposure to show up on nicks radar and they hit him for copyright/licensing fees, hes mentioned that the costs of this project have been extreme and stated it in a way to suggest he possibly even lost money on the end result, which could have easily happened if he had to lawyer up to handle licensing agreements without expecting it.

As for the "turn over rights to the book", we know 100% that didn't happen because he's still manning the helm for the kickstarter.

I've dealt with various forms of investment and project backings and online partnerships and a couple KS campaigns before, and I've been the victim of scams when doing so as well so I'm familiar with these processes and what can happen during them.

Ultimately I think this is not a scam and we will eventually receive a product of some kind.
Dragnskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:42 AM   #152
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnskull View Post
My guess is the project probably gained enough exposure to show up on nicks radar and they hit him for copyright/licensing fees
I doubt they made him pay them anything.

This has happened before in the enamel pin community. A pin maker on Instagram named @primalpins made a set of 4 TMNT pins (produced in a low quantity like 100 each or so) and got enough exposure that Nick (or someone) found out and tried to use them to make an example. @primalpins went radio silent for months leading everyone who preordered to start screaming "scam!" and demanding their money back. Eventually they gave an update that there was a settlement, the terms of which were that they were allowed to honor their preorders, and I forget but I think also they were allowed to sell their remaining inventory, but they could not openly market/promote the product and they could not make any more. It was not stated there were any payments made as part of the settlement but I suppose that is possible. But I think Nick probably took the lighter handed approach to fan projects, meaning "we appreciate your passion but don't do it again and don't confuse the marketplace". I would bet the financial hit was purely cost of lawyering up after the initial cease and desist scare. And...the pins indeed shipped. Even to people who had gotten refunds for their preorders via CC/PayPal disputes.

I believe the exact same thing is happening with these books.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:07 AM   #153
tmntman
Mad Scientist

DonnieLaForge is pretty close to what I've heard/know. I'm pretty sure Nickelodeon knew of the project to start with though in this case. But they ended up coming back and wanting changes to clarify that this is a fan project and not an official release. Unfortunately they decided that they wanted this change after the books were produced.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:54 AM   #154
cinzel
Thug

Promised an update in late November, it's mid-December and we still are in the dark...
Old 12-17-2018, 04:01 AM   #155
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinzel View Post
Promised an update in late November, it's mid-December and we still are in the dark...
Saw this thread bumped and got my hopes up. I was just thinking about this yesterday, in fact, since when I had originally ordered it, it was with the intention of giving it as a gift.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:46 AM   #156
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Yeah, not sure what the hell is going on with this now. Texted Jay a week ago and totally ignored my message ... not that I should be surprised as it seems like he goes dark a lot. Either way, very disappointing this won't be in our hands for a second holiday season now.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 AM   #157
cinzel
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
DonnieLaForge is pretty close to what I've heard/know. I'm pretty sure Nickelodeon knew of the project to start with though in this case. But they ended up coming back and wanting changes to clarify that this is a fan project and not an official release. Unfortunately they decided that they wanted this change after the books were produced.
I'm sorry to bother but have to ask if you had any contact with Jay lately and if you know anything about the current state of the book? We're waiting for an update for a long time now :s
Old 01-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #158
Meow
Stone Warrior

Does anyone know would there be any chance to get one of these besides Kickstarter? In case those aren't for what fans are recently concerned about of course.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #159
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Does anyone know would there be any chance to get one of these besides Kickstarter? In case those aren't for what fans are recently concerned about of course.
You can't get one of what doesn't exist. So probably not.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #160
The Deadman
Foot Elite

So did this turn out to be one of those "take the money and run" type deals?

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun 4: In Space (1996).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E5).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote