The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 01:52 AM   #41
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Man, this just fuels my desire for a modern Super Mario movie even more.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:44 AM   #42
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Super Mario La La Land!! Now I'm really pumped for this game!!

That commercial is so amazing!
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Mario Odyssey will be amazing. Every 3D Mario has been amazing, except some of the more tedious parts of Sunshine, but I loved it otherwise.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #44
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Mario Odyssey will be amazing. Every 3D Mario has been amazing, except some of the more tedious parts of Sunshine, but I loved it otherwise.
Sunshine had an odd difficulty curve from what I recall. You could easily get 2-3 shines in just one hour or under and then struggle a lot to get another one.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #45
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Agreed. This game is exceptionally better than Sonic Forces.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #46
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Finally got the game! So excited!

Possible contender of GOTY next to Breath of the Wild!
Old 11-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #47
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I tried this game out today.
It’s nothing to write home about.

The retro wall segments were mildly entertaining, albeit too easy.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:46 AM   #48
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Did you finish it? I'm in the cold desert.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #49
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Did you finish it? I'm in the cold desert.
It wasn’t mine, I was just trying it out. So I didn’t get as far as I could have.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:32 PM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's been a long, long time since I've played it, but I seem to remember being able to choose different galaxies to visit at will? No different than SMB3 or Super Mario World in the "path" you can choose, if memory serves. Galaxy 2 definitely remains the last "core" game... the rest seem like strange side things, experiments or half games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
You've simply not been keeping up, old man.

New Super Mario Bros U, Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World, etc. Plenty of Mario going around.

But this one looks to top them all & I am hyped!
Quote:
Those don't really seem like they're part of the "main" series of Mario games any more than, like, Paper Mario or Mario RPG. I mean, if you numbered out all the games, Super Mario Bros. is SMB1 ("Mario Bros." would be #0) and Super Mario Odyssey would be like SMB10, and those games you mention wouldn't get a numeral.
So I've been playing some Super Mario Odyssey and even picked up New Super Mario Bros U (Deluxe, for Switch).

Shocker, but I have to agree with myself. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is a lot of fun... but it's definitely a far cry from a core installment. It's a look down memory lane. All of the core games try something completely different than the ones before it and this is just a nostalgia fest, a sidegame if ever there could be one. Compare any of the core Mario games... they're as different as all can be, by design.

Super Mario Odyssey... totally the first core game since the Super Mario Galaxy duology.

Super Mario Bros. 1 - 1985
Super Mario Bros. 2 - 1988
Super Mario Bros. 3 - 1988
Super Mario World - 1990
Super Mario World 2 - 1995
Super Mario 64 - 1996
Super Mario Sunshine - 2002
Super Mario Galaxy - 2007
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 2010
Super Mario Odyssey - 2017

That's it. That's the series so far. The rest is 100% side sh**/spinoff/retro stuff to make a buck or keep some form of Mario out there so that he's not forgotten in between the "real" games. I'm not saying they don't count in Mario continuity (if there can be such a thing), I'm just saying the core games are like, say the numerical Resident Evil games, and everything else is like Resident Evil: Code Veronica and all the other spinoffs.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-22-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #51
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
So I've been playing some Super Mario Odyssey and even picked up New Super Mario Bros U (Deluxe, for Switch).

Shocker, but I have to agree with myself. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is a lot of fun... but it's definitely a far cry from a core installment. It's a look down memory lane. All of the core games try something completely different than the ones before it and this is just a nostalgia fest, a sidegame if ever there could be one. Compare any of the core Mario games... they're as different as all can be, by design.

Super Mario Odyssey... totally the first core game since the Super Mario Galaxy duology.

Super Mario Bros. 1 - 1985
Super Mario Bros. 2 - 1988
Super Mario Bros. 3 - 1988
Super Mario World - 1990
Super Mario World 2 - 1995
Super Mario 64 - 1996
Super Mario Sunshine - 2002
Super Mario Galaxy - 2007
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 2010
Super Mario Odyssey - 2017

That's it. That's the series so far. The rest is 100% side sh**/spinoff/retro stuff to make a buck or keep some form of Mario out there so that he's not forgotten in between the "real" games. I'm not saying they don't count in Mario continuity (if there can be such a thing), I'm just saying the core games are like, say the numerical Resident Evil games, and everything else is like Resident Evil: Code Veronica and all the other spinoffs.
Code Veronica isn't a spin-off and Super Mario 3D World is a core Super Mario game no matter how people want to feel about it. The New Super Mario series is totally a sub series though, don't know why anyone would think otherwise.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #52
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Don't you dare tell me Mario Teaches Typing isn't a core Mario game. Don't you dare!!!
Old 02-24-2019, 11:15 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Code Veronica isn't a spin-off
What, are you kidding me? It literally is, in every sense of the term "spin-off." It's not a numerical entry in a series that adheres to numerical entries.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:31 PM   #54
Leo656
The Franchise

Except that C:V was originally developed as "RE 3", and even the series' creators consider it the "true sequel" to RE 2. What became 3 was originally developed as a spin-off game, and was still considered to be one internally. At some point they essentially just swapped titles, but the people who developed the games still consider C:V to be "part 3" and "Nemesis" to be the spin-off.

I barely follow the series, but even I know that much. "It has a number on it" is relatively inconsequential. Why the titles were switched around is fuzzy, but "marketing" is probably the reason.

Anyway, no, C:V is a sequel, not a spin-off.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #55
Vegita-San
Emperor

The 'NEW ' Series of games arn't all that memorable, but they are decent enough platformers.

New Super Mario Bros on DS is a perfect sequel to SMB3. The Wii version is a perfect SMW Sequel.

The Wii U is fun, but otherwise forgetable.

SuperMario 3dLAND is much better than 3D World. Cat Mario is just a very weird power up idea.

I don't really care all that much for Oddysy. It's a fun enough playthrough..but not very repeatable, I think.

I'd rather see Super Mario Galaxy 3

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #56
Icebot
Foot Elite

I played the game and it’s so much fun, I especially love the NDC festival! I’m having trouble getting that 100 jump rope challenge, I only made it to 54.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:58 PM   #57
Prowler
Emperor

I played Super Mario Odyssey in late 2019 and, while I've enjoyed it and consider it a pretty good game... I didn't love it.

Odyssey's graphics and setting was pretty interesting to me. I remember being amazed by the trailer especially by Metro Kingdom. I was expecting this game to become the greatest 3d Mario game of all time and the true spiritual successor to Super Mario 64.

...but the game let me down a bit. First of all, there's way too many moons and most of them aren't memorable at all. A lot of them, in fact, are awarded to you for doing something as simple and effortless such as doing a ground pound on the floor after you felt the Switch vibrating. I feel like this game went for quantity over quality. Also, strangely, finding all purple coins for each kingdom in the game has turned out to be a bigger challenge for me than getting the required 500 moons to power up the Odyssey. Finding moons almost felt like finding mushrooms and fire flowers in previous Mario games.

There are some tough moons to obtain, sure, but there are so many moons in the game already that you can afford to skip those and still beat the game. Also, there's always the option to buy moons in SETS OF 10 at shops in most kingdoms. You don't have to buy them if you don't want to, but the fact you even have such an option to do so says a lot about how easy it is to obtain moons in this game.

Mario 64 and Galaxy had way less stars each, but most of them were memorable and you felt like you've achieved something by obtaining them. I still find Galaxy to be the best 3d Mario game overall and the true Mario 64 successor.

Again, Odyssey is a good game. Gameplay wise is great because you feel like Mario has more freedom of movement than ever. And this game has the best camera BY FAR in any Mario game to date.

I had expected this game to mark a big turning point/direction in the Mario franchise like Mario 64 did back in 1996 or like NSMB did for the 2D Marios back in the mid-2000s. I haven't played BOTW yet, but it seems to have done something like that for 3D Zelda games. Odyssey didn't feel like the next step/evolution in Mario as much as I expected it to be. So it was a bit of a letdown in that regard.

I still sunk about 85 hours into it and had fun for the most part, but I don't have any desire to replay this game several years from now on. And that saddens me. Because Mario games are so fun and great that they have timeless replay value. After all these years I still find myself playing SMB1, SMB3 and SMW at times. Their inclusions as downloadable content or whatever in modern Nintendo consoles is always welcome for me. Mario 64 I go back to due to early 3d games showing their age, but I still had fun with it when I got 3d All-Stars. Sunshine isn't a game I have gone back to very often, but it's always been the weakest of the 3d Mario games. And, sadly, I think even Sunshine has more replay value than Odyssey.

Perhaps Nintendo needed a bit more time to flesh out Odyssey properly. There's two very small kingdoms in the game that feel like cut content. And that dragon boss feels more like a lost Dark Souls character than something you'd find in a Mario game.

Odyssey also feels like it lacks a bit of an identity. Something that even Sunshine and hell even SMB2, which wasn't even originally a Mario game, have. Which really says a lot considering those are 2 ugly stepchildren of the 2d and 3d Mario games, respectively.

I've already mentioned Galaxy, but I recently played 3d World for the first time ever and also found it an overall mor é interesting game than Odyssey.

Perhaps Nintendo will make a sequel to Odyssey that improves upon its flaws or something...

Again, Odyssey is a good game. But I'd not call it a masterpiece.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote